Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 12:08   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs

Subtle changes to the front fascia in the UK model makes it look sporty. I never could consider Nios as a swift competitior till now, but the UK model makes it look like one. I think those round DRLs and the grill design make a lot of difference when compared to the wedge shaped ones in Indian Nios.
Old 5th September 2019, 12:43   #257
BHPian

I wonder why they didn't use these round DRL's instead of the boomerang one's here? This gives the car a nice funky look instead of the one's on the India version. The speedo is analogue as well. Cost cutting for India?
Old 5th September 2019, 18:15   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Oh, they're using an AMT in Europe?? That says something!
Are they going to discontinue the TC auto box in Europe too as they did it in India. AMT in Europe is quite a bold decision if true.
Surprising if they can get that refinement to match with DSG/CVT or even a TC auto boxes in the competitiors cars and make people accept it .
Old 10th September 2019, 19:24   #259
BHPian

i10 transmission option in Europe - Rationale

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
Are they going to discontinue the TC auto box in Europe too as they did it in India. AMT in Europe is quite a bold decision if true.
Surprising if they can get that refinement to match with DSG/CVT or even a TC auto boxes in the competitiors cars and make people accept it .
The impact of the old school 4-speed torque convertor on the CO2 and efficiency figures of the Hyundai i10 in Europe (compared to same engine using a 5-MT) is quite significant. I believe it is approx 125g/km vs 140g/km CO2 respectively for 5MT vs 4AT, when paired to a 1.2L engine.
In the price sensitive A-segment, where the i10 competes in EU, those CO2 figures can significantly influence final price, annual taxation, insurance etc depending on the respective markets. There is also the impact of such an inefficient transmission to Hyundai's CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) figures in Europe.

Additionally the torque converter significantly saps into the performance potential of the vehicle which in its MT trim is quite a decent package. So unless Hyundai has figured to source a cheap and reliable DCT or CVT (highly efficient conv TC AT boxes are quite rare in this segment), I understand why they would choose to go for MMT, at least initially.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:34   #260
BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10 Nios: Which variant to buy?

The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs-screenshot_20190912063219__01.jpg

Quote:
Hyundai is one among the few carmakers that’s set to continue with its small diesel engine in the BS6 era. While that should give confidence to buyers, the i10 Nios diesels only make sense for buyers who routinely cover large distances. Of the two gearbox options, we’d stick with the manual. Do note, if you are looking for a good highway cruiser, the Grand i10 Nios isn’t the best car for you.

Typical urban buyers will do just fine with the petrols. The petrol’s 5-speed manual is light and easy to use. The 5-speed AMT isn’t perfect but buyers looking for an added dose of convenience will find a good buy in the Nios petrol-AMT. It’s a pity that Hyundai doesn’t offer the petrol-AMT in top-spec Asta form. But even as is, the Nios petrol-AMT in Sportz trim is a car that you’ll be happy with.
Source: ACI
Old 12th September 2019, 11:34   #261
BHPian

Now I'm in a real dilemma here. We own two cars in the family - A 2017 Hyundai Creta Petrol AT and a 2014 Hyundai Grand i10 Petrol Manual.

We're looking at replacing the Grand i10 in the span of the next 18-24 months with an automatic hatchback having at least two airbags and all other basic safety features.

Because this will be a secondary runabout, the budget is limited and because we live in an apartment building with stamp-sized back-to-back parking slots, the size of the vehicle is a constraint as well.

Keeping both these factors in mind, it really looks like there is no car that fits the bill. The two cars that come close are the Santro AMT or the Grand i10 NIOS AMT. After the butter-smooth Creta AT, all other budget ATs with AMTs feels like a step back. And moreover, neither of these two cars seem to offer anything incremental above my Grand i10 and doesn't make it seem like I'm getting my money's worth.

IMO, the i10 to the Grand i10 was a fairly incremental leap for Hyundai. The Grand i10 to the NIOS is not much in comparison.
TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 12:41   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasKinger View Post
After the butter-smooth Creta AT, all other budget ATs with AMTs feels like a step back. And moreover, neither of these two cars seem to offer anything incremental above my Grand i10 and doesn't make it seem like I'm getting my money's worth.
The Grand i10 that you already have is a very good package of practicality and convenience. Its hard to find a "better" car in the same segment that actually makes you feel you got something better. You'd have to move up a segment to a Baleno/Jazz for a smooth CVT experience. But given your cap for a 2nd car budget and smallish parking for 2nd car, these won't fit the bill.

Your only well packaged options are the NIOS AMT and the TIAGO AMT. You'll have to simply turn a blind eye to the short comings and focus on the only 2 things that are missing in your current car - airbags & an auto transmission. If you don't necessarily need an auto-box - its better to stick with your current car I'd say. Santro would be a bit of a downgrade from the Grand. If you keep the price at which you bought the i10 in your mind - you are not going to like a single car in the market right now. Prices have exploded & features have vanished. (And yeah, still the auto industry wonders why suddenly sales fell!)
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 17:43   #263
BHPian

Get a 2nd sale grand l10 if u need an automatic. Else stick to the existing
Old 13th September 2019, 11:58   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Your only well packaged options are the NIOS AMT and the TIAGO AMT. You'll have to simply turn a blind eye to the short comings and focus on the only 2 things that are missing in your current car - airbags & an auto transmission. If you don't necessarily need an auto-box - its better to stick with your current car I'd say.
I agree, Reinhard. I have been spoiled by the Grand i10's refinement, the Tiago feels like a stepdown. The Nios seems like the only option for now, but given that the purchase is at least 18 months away, I'm hoping Kia might have a credible alternative at a fair price point.

And Automatic transmission is an absolute necessity. Aging parents and crazy Bangalore traffic means I can't really afford to look elsewhere.
Old 21st September 2019, 13:27   #265
BHPian

Today morning, I have spotted this camouflaged Hyundai vehicle near Mumbai airport.
Is it i20 or Grand i10 Nios?.
From the size(check the picture where it is clicked next to a SWIFT), it makes a point for the former.

The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs-img_20190921_0835422.jpg
The notice was scribbled in Chinese as well.
The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs-img_20190921_0835212.jpg
The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs-img_20190921_0835493.jpg
The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs-img_20190921_0835252.jpg
The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs-img_20190921_0835322.jpg
Old 21st September 2019, 18:58   #266
BHPian

Today me and wife visited the Sakinaka Mumbai showroom to drive the nios. My opinions are basis my current ride, a Ritz diesel.

Showroom experience: we were welcomed by a lady who asked us which car we wanted to drive. We were offered water and refreshments. A sales rep met us and said the car will be arranged in 15 mins as it's been taken out for a spin. We spent that time checking the parked nios.

The car itself: The fit and finish is just brilliant. Hyundai really knows how to make the cabin feel premium. The Glanza I test drove last week felt less premium. The drive position is good, view is good, all the buttons have good tactile feel.

On the co-passenger seat, the only issue we faced was that the glove box when opened touches the knees, so you kind of have to turn a bit aside to access the glovebox. Cabin felt airy due to the tall stance. Coming from Ritz, this felt good.

Test drive experience : We drove the petrol AMT. The car starts to crawl once you're off the brakes. There's no jerk of any sort. It's really smooth. Once you give some A input, it quickly moves to 2nd. From 2nd to 3rd, you feel the gear change. Driving around Sakinaka I could not reach speeds upto 4th gear but the entire experience was just amazing. There was no jerkiness. The NVH levels were impressive and it felt like driving a car a segment above.

The boot seemed little bigger than the Ritz. The rear bench is just food enough for 3 lean people. The rear AC vents is a must have feature in my opinion. Makes a lot of difference.

The car, the drive & the features are all impressive but, the sales rep who accompanied me was least interested in selling the car. He didn't utter a word. I must agree though that I was given a long test drive. Price offered is 8.3Lac on road for sports AMT petrol.
Dieselritzer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 09:44   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
Today morning, I have spotted this camouflaged Hyundai vehicle near Mumbai airport.
The tail light shows that it is indeed the Nios. But I could not find the front grill and the exhaust. Could it be Nios EV?

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2019 at 10:00. Reason: removed dead links from quoted post
Old 27th September 2019, 10:38   #268
BANNED

Came across an i10 Nios on the road yesterday, from far away its back is appearing strikingly similar to Tiago.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 21:46   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
From the size(check the picture where it is clicked next to a SWIFT), it makes a point for the former.

Attachment 1916924
The notice was scribbled in Chinese as well.
Attachment 1916925
Attachment 1916926
Attachment 1916927
Attachment 1916928
Could it be the Nios N 1.0 Turbo being tested in India?
Old 1st October 2019, 13:58   #270
s10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
The car, the drive & the features are all impressive but, the sales rep who accompanied me was least interested in selling the car. He didn't utter a word. I must agree though that I was given a long test drive. Price offered is 8.3Lac on road for sports AMT petrol.
That has been my experience also multiple times. Somehow the sales reps are least interested in talking to you. For Nios also I went to showroom and nobody bothered to persuade. Its a customer lost, I am finally opting for Baleno.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks