Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2018, 22:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Video: Etios owners stage mass protest against Toyota

Hasn’t anyone noticed that this is in Kerala , that was recently flooded or am I just jumping to conclusions. This is the first time I’ve heard a cabbie complaining about a Toyota Etios. Every single one I’ve spoken to has only good things to say about it , and these were all 1.5l - 2l + km driven ones . Reason being I was seriously contemplating an Etios Liva D at one point so used to chat up any Uber cabbie I got .

Last edited by SDP : 3rd October 2018 at 20:23. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd October 2018, 00:56   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Hasn’t anyone noticed that this is in Kerala , that was recently flooded or am I just jumping to conclusions.
What has flooding got to do with the excessive oil consumption of the diesel engines?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a thought, guys: Perhaps, most of the Etios cabs complaining have high odometer readings? Say, 2 - 3 lakh km? If so, then the high oil consumption isn't surprising right, considering the worn out engine?
That is not expected of a Toyota. But high odo reading combined with bad driving habits can lead to premature wear and tear. I think there has to be a study on this problem.

Clearly, something is wrong as only post 2016 models are seriously affected. Read on a little later in my post.

Quote:
Hasn’t anyone noticed that this is in Kerala ...
You brought up a valid point- is it something to do with the fuel quality in the region? Otherwise, Etios cab owners would be protesting everywhere in the country.

Cab drivers trade notes everywhere- so a big problem nationwide would have attracted a lot of attention.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What has flooding got to do with the excessive oil consumption of the diesel engines?
Read the entire post it’s not just excessive oil consumption but also about water entering the cabin. The timing of the protest immediately after the floods raises eyebrows. I could be wrong
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:22   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Read the entire post it’s not just excessive oil consumption but also about water entering the cabin. The timing of the protest immediately after the floods raises eyebrows. I could be wrong
I don’t know from where in the entire video you understood about water seeping. Even the banners and the complete conversation contains only excessive oil consumption issue.
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:54   #36
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I don’t know from where in the entire video you understood about water seeping. Even the banners and the complete conversation contains only excessive oil consumption issue.
Here you go :

Video: Etios owners stage mass protest against Toyota-etios.jpg
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:17   #37
BHPian

Anther desi forum has similar discussion:

https://www.carwale.com/toyota-cars/...reviews/56993/[/quote]

Referencing lapis_lazulis post from below - This is a single post just 27 days ago , I’m making a wild guess here based on his name but the poster sounds like he is a cabbie from Kerala. The cabbie bit is clearly mentioned in the article btw.

Last edited by howler : 2nd October 2018 at 08:19.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:41   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Here you go :

Attachment 1803662
Oh then I missed to see that. But there was no mention of the same in any of the conversations made in the whole video.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Video: Etios owners stage mass protest against Toyota

A little surprised actually. Not by the water seeping issue, but by the engine oil consumption issue. The water seepage issue was taken up by a private owner in Tamilnadu when the Etios had just launched. He went on to post an ad in a paper stating that the Etios is for sale and the problems he faces in the car, in a rather sarcastic way.

With regard to the engine oil, how is that no one has brought up this issue in other cities? Ola and Über cabs run Etios in their fleets and in a city like Bangalore the Etios is mostly the default cab to the airport. Most of the airport cabs have done 2-3 lakh kms and the drivers seem relatively fine with the car. They may not be knowledgeable, but a common issue as this would have at least resulted in fleet operators moving away from the Etios, which is not the case.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:33   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not understand Malayalam. But let me share my thoughts:

a) These are taxis (and notice not private cars) which experience high mileage and severe service conditions. Since the models affected are 2016 and later and given the 3 year warranty I assume each one of these vehicles been serviced only at a TKM dealer.

b) TKM has standardised on 5W-30 oil for all their engines regardless of model. For car's serviced at the ASC the only other choice is the 5W-40 synthetic which taxi owners/drivers won't touch with a barge pole because of the cost. IMHO TKM should experiment with 15W-40 or 10W-40 for high mileage diesels.

c) Only in KL? Any other reports from across the country or overseas where these 1.4 l diesel motors are used?

d) Since this is a 2016 and later model issue it could the choice of piston and piston rings caused by a change in supplier OR even faulty parts. Of course only TKM knows the answer to that.

e) Toyota specifies oil consumption up to 1 litre every 1000 km as 'normal'. It depends from engine to engine. I personally feel 1 litre every 1K kms is is very high (my car burns literally zero oil) but If these guys do 3,000 km a month, very conservative running for a taxi, they'd be burning up to 3 litres out of the approx. 4 litres in the sump and run the risk of the engine seizing. Scary!

f) Since the affected cars are probably in warranty Toyota should investigate and repair the engines FOC. People buy Toyotas for a reason and this does not set a good precedent.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:12   #41
BHPian

Damn! Guys I've a 14 Liva diesel and recently encountered this issue which these cabbies are facing. In my paid service this year a mere 2 litres of oil drained out which left me shocked. I did raise a complaint with Toyota but no avail. I even thought of writing to the HQ but didn't and got new oil filled elsewhere. I felt it could be a malpractice and they could be filling less at time of service.

By any means can anyone connect me to these gents? I want to be part of their campaign and I've proof as well.

Thanks in advance.
coolmel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

In the video, the main person who is speaking says that the drivers are ready to accept higher consumption from Toyota, but can the dealer guarantee that the oil level will not drop below minimum level within 10k km (which I assume is the service interval). The drivers around him are veterans judging by their comments about their past driving experience with other vehicles.

Based on the conversation in the video, it is apparent that the issue has been going on for some time. The drivers have raised the issue earlier and it seems some harsh words were spoken between the driver(s) and showroom staff at some point of time before the video. So, it seems the famed Toyota service experience has been missing in this case.

The dealer is ready to test one of the affected cars for issues and the drivers are ready to provide any one among the 17 affected cars (as per the video), however they want a written statement on how the issue will be tackled if it is confirmed in the test. Hopefully, we will get more information later.
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
On just a random search "D4D oil consumption" google actually returns a lot of similar results. The 1.4 mill seems to be suspect. Worldwide. Toyota declares, depending on country, 0.5L/1000 km to 1L/1000km as normal consumption.
I remember in the Tata Estate (if anyone recognises that) we had, the driver kept an oil can and used to top up from time to time. I remember after getting the first petrol in the family (118 NE) I used to check if it's "drinking oil". It didn't, and neither does my Petrol Linea. I guess this must be a Diesel thing.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
I remember in the Tata Estate (if anyone recognises that) we had, the driver kept an oil can and used to top up from time to time. I remember after getting the first petrol in the family (118 NE) I used to check if it's "drinking oil". It didn't, and neither does my Petrol Linea. I guess this must be a Diesel thing.
Not at all a diesel thing. It is an individual car thing with leaky seals and such.
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:40   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Damn! Guys I've a 14 Liva diesel and recently encountered this issue which these cabbies are facing. In my paid service this year a mere 2 litres of oil drained out which left me shocked. I did raise a complaint with Toyota but no avail. I even thought of writing to the HQ but didn't and got new oil filled elsewhere. I felt it could be a malpractice and they could be filling less at time of service.
Regarding the 2 litres of old oil being drained out do make it a habit of checking your engine oil level at least once every 10-30 days depending on how much your car is used. This goes for any make, any model.

One thing you can check for yourself is if the car has a leak from the oil filter, drain plug or a seal. Just take a look at the garage floor or road where the car is parked for any oil stains. Does the exhaust belch white smoke?

Also, if you want TKM to address the complaint try not to go to a FNG. Always get the car serviced at the ASC so they don't find any excuse to wiggle out. In my decade+ experience with multiple Toyota dealers they do not cheat on consumables but try to push add on services like interior cleaning, polishing/waxing et al. If you believe they have cheated just email TKM.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks