Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Biggest Blunders in the Indian Automotive Scene

One from my side -

After huge success of Zen first generation, launching car like Zen Estilo was a big blunder. It had no match from previous generation and design was totally different. Using name as Zen Estilo, they spoiled the brand Zen IMHO. The car got some initial success but then later on it became sales dud. Zen had huge fan following and many people got shock when they saw Zen Estilo, design was really bad.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:42   #47
BHPian

The biggest blunder common to a lot of manufacturers in India is this - Not Paying Enough Attention to Team-BHP

Just by doing this a lot of blunders mentioned here could have been avoided, at least in the last decade. Thankfully many are doing this now with positive results for all stakeholders.
CoolFire is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Well, Bajaj couldn't have sustained the onslaught of the Japanese auto scooters that were trickling in. (...) They had some interesting products like the Saffire and then the Kristal but deplorable quality and shoddy engineering killed both of them.
As an owner of a first generation Saffire, "Interesting" isn't the adjective I would use to describe it. It was a shoddy design that Bajaj tried to sell as 'more advanced than the Scooty' (something that I fell for). The problems I had with that scooter were legion, but the ones that come to mind the most are the lethargic acceleration and the pathetic engine. I've had more engine seizures on that bike than punctures! After the 7th (or 8th, I forget) seizure I finally gave up and sold it for scrap, 5 years after I first bought it.
vivtho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:58   #49
BHPian

I think another major blunder by Mahindra was launching their electric car, Reva, way too early into the market. I mean, they had high hopes when they announced the car, with setting up a plant in KA with an expected production capacity of around 30K cars per year. But when the pricing was announced (around 5-6L IIRC), they were pitted against some of the well-established A/B segment cars in the market at that time. The pricing itself was a big downer I guess.

I’m pretty sure that half of the population in India wouldn’t even know that such a car exists or ever existed.

According to me, if they had launched the electric car when the market awareness about electric cars/emission norms etc. was a little more than what it was in 2013, it would have seen more takers than it actually got.

The Biggest Blunders in the Indian Automotive Scene-mahindra_reva_plant.jpg
R-Six is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:18   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
I think another major blunder by Mahindra was launching their electric car, Reva, way too early into the market. I mean, they had high hopes when they announced the car, with setting up a plant in KA with an expected production capacity of around 30K cars per year. But when the pricing was announced (around 5-6L IIRC), they were pitted against some of the well-established A/B segment cars in the market at that time. The pricing itself was a big downer I guess.
The Maini's had started the project. It was more of a passion project which bled the rest of the successful Maini group dry. Mahindra bought it for its local EV design capability and to be in the game!
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:35   #51
BHPian

Premier Automobiles launching the "Rio". It was at least a decade outdated product at the time of launch and and the company still had guts to think that it will sell.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
I think another major blunder by Mahindra was launching their electric car, Reva, way too early into the market. I mean, they had high hopes when they announced the car, with setting up a plant in KA with an expected production capacity of around 30K cars per year. But when the pricing was announced (around 5-6L IIRC),

Attachment 1804546
Firstly, Reva was already there in the market for many years before Mahindra bought it. It was launched by a Bangalore based auto manufacturer Maini. In fact Reva is the name of Mr.Maini's wife.

Pricing obviously was high initially but many progressive states had given subsidy , road tax discount which brought down the overall price for the customer
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:38   #53
BHPian

A current blunder still going on, Tata motors not paying heed to the brand Safari! Out of Scorpio and Safari, the latter had and still has a more cult following. Tata, take a leaf out of Royal Enfield's book or Jeep's current marketing strategy and use the cult memory of the Safari for the better, but please also give a future friendly makeover. The storme in itself was outdated inside out when launched. Out of the Safari and Scorpio, the former has been selling in three digits, and the latter in three thousands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Nice compilation.

I would like to add Toyota Corolla's D-4D engine to the list. After paying more than 2 million bucks, you get puny 1.4L diesel engine that merely produces power/torque figures similar to that of a C-Segment under-powered car Ciaz.
Add to that a poor alloy design and NO infotainment at all on paying 22 lacs on road on the topmost trim. Are we living inn the 80s?

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd October 2018 at 17:09.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:47   #54
BHPian

1. Bajaj launching a very good Dominar as "Power Cruiser" and pitting it against the likes of Royal Enfields by ridiculing them, and got a "Royal" spanking in return in terms of sale.

2. Hero's divorce of Honda - Hero still stuck with those age old 100cc engines; And now re-boring the same old 150 cc Achiever engines to launch the new Xtreme 200 cc.

3. UML launching their range of Cruisers with that puny 223 cc engine and selling them 30% more than the Classic 350s, with a quality that is even worse than the REs. Now, dying a slow death.
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Hyundai Getz failing to capture the B Segment Diesel hatchback market before the Swift arrived!

Hyundai had launched the Getz ahead of the Swift, but only with the mediocre 1.3 lit petrol engine. They were already selling the Accent with the 1.5 lit 3 cylinder diesel mill - which was a runaway success at that time! I've never understood why the Getz wasn't launched with that diesel mill ahead of the Swift, which wrote it's own course in history as we all know!

By the time Getz got launched with the Verna's 110 BHP rocket of an engine, the Swift had already captured the market and the 1.3 MJD had earned the National Engine nickname! It was just too late and the Getz died a slow and painful death!
+1 to this!

I owned Getz Prime Petrol(1.3L) and had driven the beautiful crdi few times, trust me that car was way ahead of its time. Especially the diesel mill was a pocket-rocket!
Also the premium hatchback segment was not matured that time and it took off when Hyundai decided to launch i20!
Coincidentally we bought i20 too( we still own it) and I feel 1.3 petrol was much better and free-revving than the 1.2L engine. There are so many things to point out in i20 like Dead Steering in i20( getz had a lovely HPS), no armrest for driver, sluggish engine, no top end. But i20 had host of other features and better interior so it just took off and still selling like hot cakes!

I feel Hyundai launched Getz a little too early and i20 was equally responsible with Swift for killing it!
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:51   #56
BHPian

S-Cross, no, I am not talking about the discontinuing of 1.6D engine. I am talking about they sticking to only diesel option. This to me a big blunder. This is a premium crossover, it had the finesse and build quality was completely un-maruti (it was good) but there is no petrol engine on offer. The car had 1.4 turbo charged petrol engine for the rest of the world but not for India. It would have sold in much better numbers if there was a petrol engine with a good AT box.
joe_antony is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 17:01   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen pulling off its very competent Polo Variant - 1.6 (P) -MT in its first year of launch, citing cost reasons. But existing owners love its exclusivity and driving dynamics ( except for the hard clutch and a bit of acc. delay)

The Biggest Blunders in the Indian Automotive Scene-123.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd October 2018 at 17:30.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 17:23   #58
BHPian

I can think of below things:

1. Manufacturers not going the distance with / updating products
E.g.: Tata Manza, Suzuki Grand Vitara. Gypsy sold with petrol engine for too long and no diesel introduced there.

2. Manufacturers killing / disabling capable products
E.g.: Honda creating void by stopping the Civic / Accord / CRV and then introducing the Diesel engines albeit a bit late for the City and some other models. Lower power engines on larger cars. Under powered WRV with a puny 1.2l petrol engine / Toyota Corolla with 1.4l D-4D. Magic seats on the updated Jazz.

3. Manufacturers holding back on features / tech specs
E.g.: Petrol AT yes, but no diesel AT across most manufacturers / models. Disk brakes on rear wheels removed on updated cars.

4. Absurd service costs / Lack of service network / Lack of spares
Manufacturer of the national Diesel engine is unable to sell its own cars powered by the same engines or the classic case with Skoda service costs
Old 3rd October 2018, 17:28   #59
BHPian

Umm, Honda not getting Turbo Charged Petrol engines in India. Truth be told, I'm in love with the 1.5 iVtec but let's face it, Turbo gives better punch and fuel economy. Should be on priority number 1 on Honda India's List.

Imagine a City Type R *drools*

Oh wait, add a dual clutch gear box to the list too. CVT= too lazy of a transmission in comparison to the high tech dual clutch ones. Knowing Honda, it'll be reliable too!

Last edited by The Brutailer : 3rd October 2018 at 17:37.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 17:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen pulling off its very competent Polo Variant - 1.6 (P) -MT in its first year of launch, citing cost reasons.

Attachment 1804567
If we think about it, then Polo might take the cake for the successful car with most blunders
  • They had 1.6 petrol and discontinued it.
  • 1.2L diesel had so much lag, one could never accept it as an engine from an auto giant.
  • 1.2 Petrol was kind of slow, but acceptable.
  • 1.6 Diesel GT engine was later replaced by 1.5 thanks to taxes.
  • Next was the infamous DSG paired with the superb 1.2 turbo petrol.
  • Then came the GTi with its earth shattering performance and eye watering pricing some reports suggests that there were more than 100 cars imported, which again is a blunder considering the advertisement about car being limited to 100.
  • This doesn't end here, the already not so fast 1.2L was replaced by 1.0 petrol, guess what, its a NA unit !
  • Engine wasn't the only blunder, interior had so little space for such a long car and the list goes on

VW making a sub 4 meter sedan from an hatch that is already almost 4 meters is an another story all together .

Car still sells well thanks to its build quality and premium feel and time-less design. Ours held up well for almost 1L km of abuse.
giri1.8 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks