Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2018, 12:17   #76
BHPian

Re: The Biggest Blunders in the Indian Automotive Scene

Quote:
Another blunder that Maruti did along with the ugly Zen classic was the Zen Carbon and Steel edition which did not have rear doors. Also, it was extremely difficult to get in the rear.
I beg to differ. I personally feel that the Zen Steel and Carbon editions are the best models till now from the Maruti stable in India. It is a sportier version of Zen and it's intended to have 2 doors. It's not a model that was designed keeping practicality in mind.

It's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about no boot space.
Asta_la_vista is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 14:38   #77
Senior - BHPian

I searched for this entire thread to read a term called "QUALIS" but surprisingly, the word is missing.
While some of the posts that talks about revoking existing models are termed blunders, most of these revoke blunders can be justified since they were either flops or did NOT have Successful stories.

But Toyota's blunder on Qualis is suicidal. The car sales was going in super high speed but Toyota stopped the production suddenly and replaced with Innova.

Had they had continued Qualis and branded Innova for different class of customers additionally instead of replacing Qualis, probably, their sales would have doubled given that Innova was also a great success.

Even today, we find people continuing the search of used Qualis. (In my own case, even after 5 months of me selling my Qualis(Till September 2018 which is 14 years after the car production was stopped), people have visited my house inquiring the whereabouts of my car. When I answer them, I sold it off, they get disappointed and ask me several questions like , how much did I sell for? Who purchased it? Where is it Now?

Really a big blunder by Toyota in my Opinion

Last edited by gkveda : 4th October 2018 at 14:40.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 14:51   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I searched for this entire thread to read a term called "QUALIS" but surprisingly, the word is missing.
AFAIK Qualis was discontinued because Toyota was unsure of it meeting the next stage of both emission and safety norms (norms that were not present in India ATM, but Toyota wanted to adhere to as a apart of its corporate image)

The fact that Innova resulted in a significantly higher price did not harm either.

The shell was used in Sonalika Rhino later.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 14:52   #79
BHPian

Can't say if this is a blunder but replacing hydraulic steering with EPS is, in my opinion, a blunder. It should atleast be offered in the sports editions of all cars. And though mentioned already, ceasing production of the fantastic 1.6 s-cross is the major one in recent times.
emkay.india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 14:59   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Can't say if this is a blunder but replacing hydraulic steering with EPS is, in my opinion, a blunder. It should atleast be offered in the sports editions of all cars.
I think hydraulic steering to electric was more a case of moving on with the times. The hydraulic steering units draw power from the engine, where as electric steerings are powered by an electric motor. The hydraulic system is also much heavier than electric, and both these things add to better fuel economy.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 15:16   #81
BHPian

Honda Eterno geared scooter, specially made for India and designed to be a Chetak killer. Although an extremely competent product, it came at the fag end of the geared scooter era. Honda could have done well to focus their energies on a performance bike. Had they launched one at that time, the first gen Pulsar with all its niggles would have vanished without a trace.
Old 4th October 2018, 15:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Honda Eterno geared scooter, specially made for India and designed to be a Chetak killer. Although an extremely competent product, it came at the fag end of the geared scooter era. Honda could have done well to focus their energies on a performance bike. Had they launched one at that time, the first gen Pulsar with all its niggles would have vanished without a trace.
True about Eterno, but Honda had a non compete clause with Hero Honda at that time preventing it from launching bikes.
CoolFire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 16:08   #83
BHPian

Sail, Sail Sedan, and Enjoy - Effective killed Chevrolet brand in India, which had a few good products in Spark, Beat and Cruze. At one point, you could buy a full line at a GM showroom, from Spark to Captiva, but the Chinese products left a lot to be desired.

Also, why did it take GM so many years to get the 1.3 MJD into production?? As a company which didnt need to pay any license fee for the national engine (GM got that as part of a settlement from its exit from FIAT), lost a lot of sales by not having a well priced diesel car.
Old 4th October 2018, 18:28   #84
Senior - BHPian

Anyone remembers Bajaj Saffire? the 4 stroke gearless scooter from Bajaj. I got it since it was readily available compared to the waiting time of Activa in 2001 and the number of times the scooter stranded me were countless.
Old 4th October 2018, 18:36   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
I think hydraulic steering to electric was more a case of moving on with the times. The hydraulic steering units draw power from the engine, where as electric steerings are powered by an electric motor. The hydraulic system is also much heavier than electric, and both these things add to better fuel economy.
Also simply economy!
Surprising as it may sound back in ~2000 EPS costed less than hydraulic steering. Partly because of a supply duopoly in India, but still!
Old 5th October 2018, 10:41   #86
BHPian

Not Sure if Skoda Kodiaq is another blunder int he making.

Not because it a bad car-but the placement and pricing- also the lesser power output. Car being priced higher than Tiguan, Superb, Fortuner & Endeavor, lesser BHP by premium standards, not so good NVH level's & on road price of about 45 big ones for ill reputed Scoda brand in India has all ingredients for a failure.

My question is, what it really offers more than Crysta or Hexa which are at least 20 lakhs cheaper?

Last edited by princenoble : 5th October 2018 at 10:46.
princenoble is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 10:49   #87
BHPian

Wow! Usually threads about a particular make or model or about some technical stuff, are the ones that are enlightening and we tend to learn something from them. However I am pleasantly surprised that a thread which is about blunders has so much information and knowledge in it!

Also just like an old song or peculiar smells or peculiar weather makes you feel nostalgic, similarly reading some names here (Tata Sierra, Fiat Palio) suddenly makes me nostalgic. I was still a teenager when some of them were launched and while as a petrol-head i loved every bit of them, it's only now when i read an assessment of their faulty strategies do i realize why suddenly I couldn't see these names when when I was in a position to buy my first car (which was much later after my teenage life obviously)

I don't have a particular blunder to point out but I do feel that there are certain models that were star performers in their heydays and have even acquired a cult status over the years. I think the failure of these models to build on the legacy that they created in itself is a blunder. I have always wondered how can a company let go of their star performers.

So here's the list that comes to my mind (personal opinion) -

Tata Sierra - Why on earth would someone not build on this, it was the ultimate power statement. Imagine if they would have kept revising it and building it like a Wrangler perhaps, how much more Mahindra Thar would have to offer to compete!

Daewoo Matiz - Agreed that Daewoo went bankrupt but did none of the auto companies have the smart idea of simply lapping up to Matiz and continue the same brand name and offer the service. They wouldn't even have had to do anything extraordinary but just carry on the business as usual! Those were exciting times when Hyundai launched with Santro/Accent while Daewoo simultaneously launched Matiz/Ceilo. I have always believed that between Daewoo and Hyundai, Daewoo would have won the battle with it's more smarter & aggressive strategy and better looking (& performing?) models.

Fiat Uno - I still remember sitting in my friend's brand new Uno, when the brand itself was new, and he was proudly boasting that finally he has an answer to my Zen and me shuddering a bit inside believing that this thing can actually beat my Zen fair & square!

Mitsubishi Lancer - Every petrol-head worth his salt has always dreamed of owning a Lancer or at least burning the streets with one (if you are from that generation, i mean). For the life of me, i still can't fathom how can a company screw such a legendary brand name so royally . I think the only thing faster than Lancer was Mitsubishi's desire to kill it.

I vaguely remember Honda City 1st gen came with 100 bhp and then the 2nd gen was reduced to like 66 bhp or something, my memory must have horribly mixed up the facts because it does sound stupid even when i am writing it, but still I am curious if anyone remembers something like this.
Ashwin Morey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 10:51   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
Not Sure if Skoda Kodiaq is another blunder ---
No, it is not . See the sales figures it is consistently doing in this segment.

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th October 2018 at 11:17.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 11:04   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Anyone remembers Bajaj Saffire? the 4 stroke gearless scooter from Bajaj. I got it since it was readily available compared to the waiting time of Activa in 2001 and the number of times the scooter stranded me were countless.
Going completely OT here. I have ridden a Saffire a few times and a few kms each time. I must say it was the smoothest motor which sounded more like a whisper. That was almost 15 years ago and my memory could be failing but I think I haven't ridden anything that smooth till date.

The next came the Bajaj Wave, DTSi version of the the Saffire. While the body design was same, the engine was all new. The Safire had a 99cc engine with a 3-speed GB (GB was the major source of problem). The Wave was a 110cc CVT scooter. And the sheer punch that the Wave had back then was amazing. It could pull to the ton mark with 2 heavy built boys on board. Fond memories.

Then there was Bajaj Legend but I won't digress anymore.

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th October 2018 at 11:06.
Old 5th October 2018, 11:17   #90
BHPian

Tata has made several blunders one of which was not having front facing seats in the Safari which the Scorpio had. Building a crossover in the Aria instead of going for a new SUV and pricing it way above the perceived value was another. The Hexa seems to suggest they learned from both.

Another one in the making is not exploiting the Safari pedigree and bringing in a successor especially now since even the Storme's stature has improved considerably with the Indian Army choosing it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks