Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 19:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Mechanics inspected the EGR and found no issues with it. They do open the EGR plumbing and needed to replace 1 nos Gasket Steel and 2 nos Hose Clamp.

All work done free of cost and under warranty invoices were shared.
In continuation to above events, I sent my car BMW X1 20d for scheduled service today 30 Oct 2023.

The job card showed EGR inspection.

Told SA it was done 2 months back.

To that was informed BMW has formed policy to inspect EGR every 3 months or 3000 Kms (whichever is earlier).

Since my car has done more than 3000 Kms in 2 moths time, they need to inspect EGR all over again.

I find this baffling.

If BMW knows that part will cause fire hazard, why don't they replace it? Costs Rs. 60,000 (As per SA).

But seems bean counters at BMW India would rather have customer car face risk of fire; than replace EGR which will go bad sooner.

Faced same issue with Volkswagen when they knew 1.6 TDi injectors manufactured prior to 15 June 2012 were faulty. But VW wanted customer to be stranded in middle of road than replace it under recall.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 20:35   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Posting my experience with regard to this EGR coolant issue. I also got the snail mail by registered post few months back. Since my car was earlier inspected for this very issue and cleared by the service center, I did not bother proactively reaching out to them.

My car went in for service couple of weeks back and I had totally forgotten about this. The SA logged my car details in and said that the EGR campaign was due on my car. He confirmed that the parts were in stock and that they would be carrying out the required replacement of the EGR cooler and related parts. The bill raised on BMW for this warranty replacement was about Rs. 85k (70k parts + 15k labour). Am seeing fresh metal pipes and rubber hoses under the bonnet along with some fresh housings near the EGR valve. They kept the car for 3 days and told me that they did a 40 km test run post replacement to see if everything was working properly. I did a 1,000 km round trip after and the car felt really smooth. New set of filters, fresh oil and new tyres may be the real reason and not the EGR cooler parts replaced. Overall very happy with the way things were handled. My X3 30d is 8 years old.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 11:52   #48
BHPian

I have also got a recall related phone call for the EGR on my 2017 F34.
Sending the car to Bavaria motors workshop on Monday for the same

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks