Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 08:22   #1
BHPian

BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Quote:
"German high-end carmaker BMW said Tuesday it would recall more than one million additional diesel cars, citing a problem with the exhaust system that "in extreme cases can cause a fire".

"In some diesel vehicles, glycol cooling fluid can leak" from a faulty component called the exhaust gas recirculation cooler, which can combine with other substances in the system to create the fire risk, the group said.

BMW said it was contacting sellers who would in turn get in touch with owners of the affected vehicles to arrange a checkup.

"The exhaust recirculation module will be checked and if there is a fault the parts will be exchanged," the group said.

BMW had in August announced a recall for Europe and some Asian countries of over 480,000 vehicles affected by the same problem, and issued an apology in South Korea after around 30 cars caught fire there this year.

It said Tuesday it had checked more diesel models and identified a "minimal risk" of fire in some of them.

The latest recall brings the total number of cars affected to some 1.6 million around the world."
-Source: NDTV

How will this recall affect us here in India? Should the owners of the 20d be expecting a call? There have already been about a few cases of BMW's catching fire in India.

If I remember there has been a death too of a couple something in the south as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th October 2018 at 09:52. Reason: Excerpt inserted in quotes, fixed several typos. Please proof read your post before submitting.
nanu28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 09:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Thanks for sharing this. I guess we'll have to reach out to our service advisors to check for more information on how India is impacted and which cars fall within this list. If TBHP members know of anyone in India having been contacted on this it will be useful to share the information on this thread.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 10:42   #3
BHPian

re: BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post

How will this recall affect us here in India? Should the owners of the 20d be expecting a call? There have already been about a few cases of BMW's catching fire in India.

If I remember there has been a death too of a couple something in the south as well.
If by death of a couple you mean the accident which happened in Chennai last year, That was due to a high speed crash. Not sure if this would have been a reason for that car to had caught fire.
Old 24th October 2018, 18:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:

If your VIN number falls in the range published by BMW then you will get the recall letter from the dealership. Here in UK the 20d, 30d and 35d engines are affected but the ones sold here were affected between 2013-2015 as manufacturing date.

The error was happening due to the EGR valve getting blocked. This was initially being thrown as the Transmission error and powerloss into the idrive and the dealerships used to change the same. I had a change in my previous 35d due to this and now on receiving the letter my friend who took the car had the inspection and they replaced the same. The car was in for around 6hours if that helps
jayakrishnan_v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 09:48   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Thanks for sharing Nanu! Good call in creating a new thread in the Indian Car Scene as Indian BMWs are surely affected by this. Hope my car isn't part of the recall, but if it is, she's going in ASAP for a fix.

Must credit South Korea - they are very, very strict. It's after fires were reported in South Korea and they made a big deal out of it that BMW is issuing this recall. Thomas Kuehl - ex-Skoda India and currently heading Nissan India - was placed under house arrest in South Korea when the VW emissions scandal broke out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnan_v View Post
If your VIN number falls in the range published by BMW then you will get the recall letter from the dealership.
Please share the link - thanks!
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 10:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Attached BMW's press communication for the issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_Group_technical_campaign.pdf (88.3 KB, 469 views)
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 13:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Statement from BMW Group India
Information regarding Voluntary Technical Campaign.

. Internal BMW Group investigations have revealed that in the case of some diesel vehicles glycol-leakage from the Exhaust-Gas-Recirculation (EGR) Cooler can occur. In combination with typical soot deposits and the high temperatures normally present in the EGR module this might result in smoldering particles. This could lead in very rare cases to the melting of the intake manifold and in extremely rare cases result in fire.

The technical campaign will be concluded for select cars which we may do as a precautionary measure .

BMW Group India will proactively contact the customers of potentially affected diesel vehicles and carry out the technical campaign at no cost. Depending on the model, the technical campaign will take between one to three hours for a customer.

We will take all the essential steps to maintain the trust and confidence of our customers.

Quote:
Information regarding Voluntary Technical Campaign.*

Internal BMW Group investigations have revealed that in the case of some diesel vehicles glycol-leakage from the Exhaust-Gas-Recirculation (EGR) Cooler can occur. In combination with typical soot deposits and the high temperatures normally present in the EGR module this might result in smoldering particles. This could lead in very rare cases to the melting of the intake manifold and in extremely rare cases result in fire.

The technical campaign decided for India involves around 7900 diesel cars manufactured between the period 2011-2016. 4-cylinder from 10/2011 – 08/2016 and 6-cylinder from 03/2011 – 07/2015 : BMW 1 Series, BMW 3 Series, BMW 5 Series, BMW 6 Series (Coupe / Gran Coupe / Convertible), BMW 7 Series, BMW X3, BMW X5, BMW X6.

BMW Group India will proactively contact the customers of potentially affected diesel vehicles and carry out the technical campaign at no cost. Depending on the model, the technical campaign will take between one to three hours for a customer.

BMW Group India will take all the essential steps to maintain the trust and confidence of our customers.

The above was sent to by my service adviser.

Just glad X1 is not in the list surprisingly, or is this a mistake?

Last edited by nanu28 : 25th October 2018 at 13:37.
nanu28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 20:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The above was sent to by my service adviser.

Just glad X1 is not in the list surprisingly, or is this a mistake?
Thanks for sharing. Good to see issue is limited for cars till August 2016.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

BMW India has been working on this already, remembered this post (although that vehicle wasn't affected by recall).
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 16:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please share the link - thanks!
Hi the attached is the full model list i got it published in the korean site which shows the EGR affected ones.

Now regarding the link in UK we are able to check for the VIN numbers as below.
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Regional VIN number list is to be shared by BMW AG to BMW IN
Attached Images

jayakrishnan_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 10:00   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.firstpost.com/india/mumb...y-4207377.html

A fire that seems caused by the same issue. BMW India does indeed seem slow.

Further:
My X3 has also been to the service centre twice since the recall announcement and has been with them for many days, but they have just kept telling me that they don't know which vehicles are in the list as yet, right upto today.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 16:45   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Finally, the parts for my car appear to have arrived. This email just in from Infinity BMW:

Quote:
Dear Sir / Madam,

Greetings from Infinity Cars.

According to our records, you are the owner of the BMW vehicle. During the ongoing quality analyses at BMW, it was determined that the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler of your engine may develop leaks over the service life of the vehicle. The escaping coolant could create flammable deposits combined with the soot and oil deposits in the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler. This may lead to localized scorching on the intake system or to a vehicle fire.

We would like to ensure that your vehicle is in perfect working order. The exhaust-gas recirculation cooler in your vehicle should therefore be checked and, if necessary, replaced with an optimized variant.

Please arrange an appointment with your nearest BMW service center. They will tell you how long your vehicle needs to stay in the workshop.

It goes without saying that this work will be free of charge. If you have sold the above vehicle, we request you to pass on this letter to the new owner as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your co-operation.

Regards,
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Finally, the parts for my car appear to have arrived. This email just in from Infinity BMW:
Did they reach out to you on their own, or did you have to get them to check whether your car is part of the recall?

I just now called my service advisor and have provided him with my car's VIN details to check whether it is part of the recall. My car is a 6 Cyl diesel manufactured sometime during July 2015. Likely candidate?
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Did they reach out to you on their own, or did you have to get them to check whether your car is part of the recall?

I just now called my service advisor and have provided him with my car's VIN details to check whether it is part of the recall. My car is a 6 Cyl diesel manufactured sometime during July 2015. Likely candidate?
In my case, it was initiated from the dealer side. They called up and sent some technician who checked the car by running some tests and concluded that there is no issue.

This was few months ago.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 01:14   #15
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

They reached out to me today. For X3 30d 2012, going in tomorrow for that and other works. EGR work is supposed to be for 1 day. My other works 2 more days.

They have taken more than 2 mths since the recall announcement in India to call us in.

Last edited by ACM : 23rd January 2019 at 01:16.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks