Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 22:56   #16
BHPian

Re: NATRAX, Indore: A phenomenal Test Tracks facility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Nope, honest question.

I don't see why the length of the straight should singularly dictate limitations on top speed measurement.

The Agera RS, did 0-403-0 km/h over a distance of 2535m, which is well within the 3500m length of this straight. https://www.koenigsegg.com/koenigseg...36-44-seconds/

JPM did a 0-400-0 km/h in 3.112 kilometers, in the Chiron. https://www.motoring.com.au/bugatti-...record-108978/
I guess it wouldn't be appropriate to rate the track at speeds that can be achieved by hyper-cars. If, say, 400 km/hr is made the legal attainable speed on this straight, it wouldn't be long before the occasional engineer decides to stretch a test mule to unattainable speeds, running out of road before he/she realizes its time to start braking. That's a safety hazard, and a lot of legal hassle for the track management (who could get into trouble for posting unreasonable speed ratings). I'm not disputing what the exact number should be, what I'm saying is that may have been the thinking behind limiting it to a certain speed (if the 350 km/hr number is official).

Last edited by Harshal.Bhosale : 8th November 2018 at 23:00.
Old 29th June 2021, 14:32   #17
BHPian

Asia's longest high-speed test track in India

Asia's longest high-speed test track has been established at Pithampur in Indore. The NATRAX facility is 11.3 km long and also includes different test tracks to aid automotive and component testing.

Asia's-longest-high-speed-test-track-inaugurated-at-pithampur

The track is the longest in Asia and fifth-largest in the world. The new track has been designed for neutral speeds up to 250 kmph and a maximum speed of up to 375 kmph on curbs with no limit to maximum speed on the straight patch.
NH08 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:53   #18
BHPian

Re: NATRAX, Indore: A phenomenal Test Tracks facility

The facility is operational now and will be the longest automotive test track in Asia beating existing tracks in Japan and China.

The NATRAX facility measures 11.3 km in length and is part of a world-class proving ground that comprises other test tracks for automotive and component testing. The new high-speed test track is oval-shaped and 16 metres wide with four independent lanes.

The new track has been designed for neutral speeds up to 250 km/h and a maximum speed of up to 375 km/h on curbs with no limit to maximum speed on the straight patch. The zero per cent longitudinal slope makes this track an open-air test laboratory for precise measurement of the performance of vehicles.

NATRAX has said that manufacturers including Volkswagen, FCA (Stellantis), Renault, Peugeot and Lamborghini have shown their interest to use this facility with the track also being open for testing cars from overseas.

I believe this should reduce the cost of developing a car in India as it won't have to be ferried around the world for vital tests!

Source
dragracer567 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 16:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

re: Asia's longest high-speed test track in India

29th June 2021.

NATRAX, Indore: A phenomenal Test Tracks facility-natraxoverview.jpg

Salient features of the NATRAX:

1. The high-speed track will be used for evaluating vehicles & components.

2. The track is oval shaped, 11.3 km long, 16 metres wide and gets four independent lanes.

3. The new track has been designed for neutral speeds up to 250 kmph and a maximum speed of up to 375 kmph on curbs with no limit to maximum speed on the straight patch.

4. The zero per cent longitudinal slope makes this track an open-air test laboratory for precise measurement of the performance of vehicles.

5. The track will also be open to public events, racing and dealer events.

Source: https://www.carandbike.com/news/asia...dtv_topstories

NATRAX, Indore: A phenomenal Test Tracks facility-20210629_163723.jpg

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 29th June 2021 at 16:53.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 16:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see that it's open for events like product launches and other events, would be great if its available for public similar to pay and practice session in race tracks. Would love to test my car's top speed.
giri1.8 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 16:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

That's something significant.

Although top speed may never be a key consideration in India, this will create some R&D jobs in India, especially with the premium manufacturers to test out their cars in the heat. Maybe Indian manufacturers too will use them to develop products for the developed world.

On the downside, the number of those jobs will be limited to less than 500 max.
Turbohead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 18:22   #22
BHPian

I think this is a great opportunity for all the manufacturers to test out their cars for speed and agility. Anyone who lives in or near Indore can access this track on a weekend to go pedal to the metal with their cars for fun. I think the Indian roads are not meant for supercars and making tracks like these will really be great for car enthusiasts and also will create more job opportunities for people.
Old 29th June 2021, 21:06   #23
BHPian

Kind of an oxymoron to have Asia's Longest High-Speed Test Track in India where we also have 80 & 120 kmph speed warning alerts.

Even though I feel good that it will open to car enthusiasts for racing, etc. but calling it a 'Speed Test Track' for vehicles getting manufactured in our country is quite funny.

I am waiting to hear about the cars that are going to be tested in this 'High-Speed Test Track'
RaghavEvoX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 22:45   #24
BHPian

This is a very comprehensive kind of test track. Quite impressive to have this facility in our country.

More information given in the video below:

Last edited by NH08 : 29th June 2021 at 22:48.
NH08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 01:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all, I know next to nothing when it comes to test tracks. But this certainly does look very impressive.

It does make me wonder if the Indian Car industry has enough volume in pre-production testing to make full use of such a facility? Sorry for bringing it up, I do get the impression it is being flaunted as a political accomplishment? That always makes me worry, in any country. Does it have a real world use? Was there a real business demand? If so, how come they havent signed anybody up yet!

Obviously the Indian manufacturer have their R&D in India (I assume), but what about everybody else?

I am not aware there is currently a global shortage of (high-speed) test tracks, or is there?

What makes a test track attractive to a manufacturer? Cost might be a factor, but you need to look at the total cost of testing a car(s) including sending it to and from the facility, clearing customs, sending a team along etc etc.

Ease of use the facility with a minimum of fuss of getting cars and equipment there would be a big factor I imagine. Also, consistency on what you can expect. E.g. weather wise, cost wise, procedure wise (e.g. custom clearance). Not sure how these sort of factors would play out for manufacturers going to this facility, especially for those from outside India. If you want to compete for international customers, you need to have every amenity adjusted to international standards; airports, hotels, roads, customs, immigration, cost etc. I have heard Pithampur is known as the Detroit of India? Due to its many its many manufacturing industries. These days of course, a bit of problem being compared to Detroit. And they are, or were, a SEZ. Which is all very good, but still might not hold up against what international companies are looking for in terms of overal facilities and amenities.

Also, I would imagine that more and more pre-production testing is done through simulation, reducing the need for actual test track time considerable. I visited the Dutch Donkervoort car factory two weeks ago. They produce the ultimate performance car. They are just a small outfit, but they still have their own simulation experts (and platforms) and the actual test track time has come down considerable they told me. Only, the very last fine tuning and of course any legal requirements on testing might have to be done on a test track too. Although, I understand simulation is playing a bigger role in legal compliance in Europe and the USA as well.

Some years ago, companies were leaving this are due to poor infrastructure facilities

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16474893.cms

Fixing infrastructure takes decades!

So a brand new, very impressive, test track. Again, I have no knowledge on the business of test tracks. But I do have a lot of questions on these sort of projects, especially when backed by governments so prominently. Do we have any insiders in the (international) automative industry on TeamBHP that can put this initiative in a bit of context and perspective? What does the Indian and the international automative industry think of this? Why has nobody signed up yet? Or have they?

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 30th June 2021 at 01:52.
Jeroen is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 07:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Do we have any insiders in the (international) automative industry on TeamBHP that can put this initiative in a bit of context and perspective? What does the Indian and the international automative industry think of this?
Some excellent questions there and I would love to hear of what any insiders mentioned above might have to say on this. I guess my curiosity is fuelled in particular by my general lack of confidence on where this country prioritises its expenditure and efforts.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 07:41   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The new facility will ensure that vehicles can be tested and evaluated in India and do not need to be sent overseas for the same.
This is from the news release posted above in the link.

I am not aware how many vehicles that are produced in India are actually sent overseas due to the lack of such infrastructure as most manufacturers have tracks around their plants, where they can test without any risks of new vehicles getting attention.

As another member pointed on a group, our cars shed tears at 80, scream beyond 120 and here we have a track to test these at speeds 250 -375
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 09:39   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Asia's longest high-speed test track in India

Well, Pithampur is only 8 - 10 hours from Bombay! Would love to take a Team-BHP test drive car there for a properly fun review. Of course, not an everyday hatchback or crossover, but if a performance variant of some car is launched (e.g. JTP), it would be great to test it here.

Hope the charges are fair enough for enthusiasts to consider track days (like they do @ Buddh) in groups.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 11:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I have heard Pithampur is known as the Detroit of India?
It isn't (in any realistic terms). Chennai is known as the Detroit of India where Hyundai, Renault, Nissan, BMW, PSA etc. are based. Other clusters include Chakan (Mercedes, VW Group, Jeep, Mahindra etc.) , Manesar (Maruti Suzuki) and Andhra Pradesh (Kia), all of which produce more than Pithampur!

Quote:
Some years ago, companies were leaving this are due to poor infrastructure facilities
Makes sense, it is far from all the existing established automobile clusters in India.

Quote:
So a brand new, very impressive, test track. Again, I have no knowledge on the business of test tracks. But I do have a lot of questions on these sort of projects, especially when backed by governments so prominently.
Agree. The perspective would've been different had it been a private racetrack, but this was built using taxpayer money, so it makes sense that the citizens be informed on the feasibility of the project.

That said, we may be wrong and this could be exactly what automotive industry in India had been asking for, especially given that more and more cars, even from relatively niche European brands like Renault, VW and Skoda which has developed cars exclusively for India now (eg. Renault Kiger and Triber, Skoda Kushaq and VW Taigun), apart from Suzuki, Hyundai, Kia, Tata and Mahindra which develop a range of cars in India.

Last edited by dragracer567 : 30th June 2021 at 11:32.
dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 12:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Why has nobody signed up yet? Or have they?

Jeroen
The NATRAX track has been in development for a while now and many OEM's and suppliers have been using the facility to test and develop various systems over the past few years - e.g steering system calibration, ESP systems, vehicle endurance runs, etc.

The whole facility is now ready and hence the inauguration. From what I have heard from various colleagues it is an impressive facility and is a big deal for our auto industry. I see this being very useful for our Indian OEM's since all development is done here. For the global OEM's where most of the development happens at the R&D HQ, it might be of limited use, however still a great facility and something to be proud of.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks