Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2018, 15:10   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2018 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Great thread. Thanks GTO. Good to see that 3 of the 4 cars in the immediately family, that I drive are in this list. The Brio, Etios and the Vento TSI (I know, a little lamer than the Polo TSi, but still..)

Both the Brio and the Etios are pretty under-rated cars from a drivability perspective. Quite enjoyable. The Etios we have is at 140k km and there is a thought to change, I have convinced my family to keep it for now as there are absolutely no issues.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 15:24   #32
BHPian

Looking at the list, I wonder why the S-Cross 1.6 was not included? It's got explosive power (even far better with wolf remaps) strong brakes and excellent handling. It rides very well as well.
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 15:34   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Looking at the list, I wonder why the S-Cross 1.6 was not included? It's got explosive power (even far better with wolf remaps) strong brakes and excellent handling. It rides very well as well.
This list points out cars that are currently on sale. The S-cross 1.6 was discontinued last year.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 15:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Honda Brio
Attachment 1819083

Honda City
Attachment 1818479

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
I would add the Honda Brio. Even though it is not perceived as a "Hot Hatch", the 4 pot 1.2 Vtec is a very peppy engine. Combine that with the low weight, well distributed chassis with wheels almost at the corners, and you have a cracker of a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Both the Brio and the Etios are pretty under-rated cars from a drivability perspective. Quite enjoyable.

Having both the City and the Brio at home, I can vouch for whatever has been mentioned about them on this thread. Both are very peppy and bring a big smile on my face whenever I take them out on the road.

The Brio especially is very under-rated for what it has to offer from a driver's perspective. The City is a legend in its own right anyway.

Last edited by nikipedia87 : 16th November 2018 at 16:00. Reason: Editing the quoted text
nikipedia87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 15:46   #35
BHPian

Great thread.

But after seeing this, I feel 'most' of the cars listed cannot be termed as performance cars at all.
India is overlooked by car manufacturers in performance car department (at least in lower end of price bracket) by not bringing in proper 'performance cars' in respective segments. Lack of takers may be the reason ?

#end of rant

Any way , most of the cars (modified) in this thread are from KL .Mods own country for sure
Asish_VK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 15:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
[center][b]
Swift is a great car to drive but the Ignis is even better. Same 1.2 engine in a smaller and tighter package, Ignis handles like a go kart.
anshumandun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 16:02   #37

I have two of the cars in my garage, the Honda City and the GT TSi (the twin headlight version) couldnt agree more. Regarding the what's not hot about the GT TSi wanted to ask fellow owners if the seats are comfortable especially for long drives ? We recently drove to Kaas plateau and I find that after a couple of hours get a stiff lower back, no such thing in the Honda where we did an 8+ hour drive to Goa... would like to know if there are 3rd party seats that can help. Love the car but the seats arent the best is my opinion.
sachind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 16:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
There are cars and then, there are cars. As BHPians, we aren't looking at a mere mode of transportation from point A -> point B. To us, the journey is as important as the destination...
Excellent Prelude to this Long Awaited list.
Sweet Music for every Enthusiast.
Has become kind of a Legendary Prelude ... like sounding in Amitabh Bacchan's voice in some of the Famous and timeless Indian Mega Serials.
Thanks GTO Sir for reviving this Awesome Thread .

Team BHP Best Enthusiast Cars List would be the go-to List for every Car enthusiast looking to buy a Car in India.
Thousands of fans of Team BHP will be delighted by this 2018 Line-up

Humbly suggest GTO Sir to continue these priceless efforts and roll out this Line-up every year.

Does Elite i20 1.4 CRDI fit in this list ?
Just in the sense that it could be a common man's enthusiast car with all the bells n whistles along with the peace of mind of Excellent HASS and Resale Value ? Along with the improvement potential after a good Remap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The Hyundai Elite i20

What you'll like:

• All-rounded package in a sharp design. Improved over the 1st-gen i20 in nearly every way
• 1.4L diesel has excellent driveability, refinement, performance & fuel economy. 6-speed gearbox is smooth
• Mature suspension offers a comfortable ride and neutral handling characteristics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
the 1.4L diesel packs enough punch both power-wise and torque-wise to be a fantastic highway runner

Last edited by JS Kwt : 16th November 2018 at 16:42. Reason: Added Remap point
JS Kwt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 16:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. Are there any options in the Indian market to upgrade the performance of 1.5l Petrol Etios? I have one at home. It feels like a breadth of fresh air, since I drive the older gen Innova most of the times. I have been looking at options for sometime to extract more fun from the car but have not been able to find any. Even Pete's doesn't provide any.(I spoke to them)
Old 16th November 2018, 17:09   #40
BHPian

This is a nice thread with some of the scorching machines listed. If I have to buy a budget grade, fun to drive car with peace of mind, I will probably pick the Baleno RS, all things considered.

The only downside as we all know is the build quality of course.
Old 16th November 2018, 17:16   #41
BHPian

From my experience owning the car, the Skoda Rapid diesel with the lightning fast DSG combination is a very fun to drive car with excellent in-gear acceleration & good stability on the highway. It may not like being pushed around the corners, but there are more positives in it to term it an enthusiast car.
Mr_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:42   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
On a related note, wouldn't the Vento 1.2 TSi qualify in this league, or its omission is due its younger sibling stealing the thunder already?
Yes, yes. Polo TSI there, so same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
D-MAX is a surprise to me in the list.
It's still a fun pickup truck with 4x4. Has character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Disagree about Gypsy being included in this list. Yes, it is mechanically sound, reliable & is 4x4. But it has probably the worst handling of all cars in India.
Ditto with the Thar. But who said enthusiast cars have to handle well? Enthusiast cars = Fun cars. And you can have a lot of fun with the Thar & Gypsy's offroad capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Are there any options in the Indian market to upgrade the performance of 1.5l Petrol Etios?
Just get an intake + free flow exhaust + nice tyres. The car is very sorted as it is.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:50   #43
BHPian

Wow awesome thread GTO, have been searching for Driver's cars in India via google.

I am not sure why Duster AWD is not there. I test drove one over my usual route and immediately felt the difference as compared to my I20 Active. Loved the steering and ride combo.

Or is it that driving a Hyundai for last 5 years lowered my expectation from other cars.

Also test drove Creta, Ecosport. Creta felt no different from my i20. Ecosport felt good but not very sharp.

Last edited by Nits83 : 16th November 2018 at 17:51.
Nits83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Wife has the Brio and i drive the TJet [wolf remapped].

Compared to the swift [my previous car], i don't feel the Brio is rev friendly at all.

The Tjet's gearbox is plain horror in an otherwise lovely machine. But the remap helps a bit. The clutch, well you get used to it. Riding position too. But yes, it is dated by today's standards, but hey those meaty tyres and all wheel disc brakes? At that price?
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 19:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nits83 View Post
Wow awesome thread GTO, have been searching for Driver's cars in India via google.

I am not sure why Duster AWD is not there. I test drove one over my usual route and immediately felt the difference as compared to my I20 Active. Loved the steering and ride combo.

Or is it that driving a Hyundai for last 5 years lowered my expectation from other cars.

Also test drove Creta, Ecosport. Creta felt no different from my i20. Ecosport felt good but not very sharp.
I wholesome agree to this , I do own I20 and Duster ( Same combo you mentioned) just that mine is 110PS FWD version.

Although the 110Ps (both FWD and AWD) versions have turbo lag , these are very underrated cars on Highways/Open Roads , they are pretty quick if you know how to work the gearbox and the road quality doesn't matter as such if you want to have fun! It gets better and better as the speed increases.

i20 feels like a video game car (especially the steering) after that!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks