Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2018, 20:07   #46
BHPian

Re: 2018 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

I would like to add VW Ameo diesel manual to the list

107 hp/Ton, 243 Nm/Ton kicking in at just 1500 rpm, super fast, 0-100 in 10 seconds, feature rich, safe, sturdy, fuel efficient.

2018 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India-2600x2600.jpg

Flipside: cramped space, VW service niggles

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th November 2018 at 22:14. Reason: Uploading image as attachment instead of hotlinking it. Breaking page bounds.
Thermodynamics is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 21:39   #47
BHPian

Such an apt thread for our forum.
I’m wondering why the Octavia 1.8 TSI isn’t a part of the list. The vRS, even after being an Octavia, is an entirely different (read superior) car with a different engine, gear box and suspension set-up and of course at least 20% higher price.
However, the Octavia 1.8 TSI is still an amazing enthusiasts’ car in its own way and with the Jetta 2.0 TDI being out of sale, I guess the Octy is the only enthusiasts’ sedan in the 20-25L range.

Among the current list, my choice is certainly going to be the vRS. It’s probably the best that money can buy for an enthusiast who can’t spend half a crore!
mrinmoy_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 21:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
I wholesome agree to this , I do own I20 and Duster ( Same combo you mentioned) just that mine is 110PS FWD version.

Although the 110Ps (both FWD and AWD) versions have turbo lag , these are very underrated cars on Highways/Open Roads , they are pretty quick if you know how to work the gearbox and the road quality doesn't matter as such if you want to have fun! It gets better and better as the speed increases.

i20 feels like a video game car (especially the steering) after that!
Are you sure that the AWD has turbo lag/ bad low end ? The manual of the AWD says to use 2nd gear in city traffic condition to start from rest. 1st gear only for offroad situations.

Quite a few of my close friends/bhpians have the same car and I have driven it a lot. Torque in the low end is immense.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 16th November 2018 at 21:46.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 22:21   #49
BHPian

A worthy thread for driver-worthy cars! Happy to see that ~11 cars in the list are under the 10L budget.

Had I been thinking with the heart I would have bought Punto Abarth, but mind had its say and I settled for Figo TDCi . Absolutely love the way it drives, more so after the change to fatter tires. Sad that there's only one entry from Ford's stable, gone are the days of Ikon and Fiesta.
scwagh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 22:48   #50
BHPian

Still no worthy upgrade on the Fiesta 1.6 S then?
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 23:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
Still no worthy upgrade on the Fiesta 1.6 S then?
I guess one could be in making. Only if Ford gets that 1.5 Dragon Petrol in Aspire. May be as Aspire Sports facelift.

One car didn't make the cut but should have. That's VW Amio 1.5 TDi DSG.
Old 17th November 2018, 05:48   #52
Team-BHP Support

Lovely compilation of drool-worthy cars. Though it makes me happy that the Thar is on the list because I own one, however I have reservations against it being on the list of enthusiast's cars. There is quite a bit of turbo lag considering it is a 2.5 litre diesel and it is absolutely unsafe to drive it over 100 kmph. The Gypsy and the V-Cross are any day more fun to drive than the Thar.

However, if you mean it is an enthusiast's car because it can do this all day long without missing a beat at 14000+ feet...

2018 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India-thar_sumitro.jpg

I agree 100%

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th November 2018 at 05:49.
BlackPearl is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 07:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Swift is a great car to drive but the Ignis is even better. Same 1.2 engine in a smaller and tighter package, Ignis handles like a go kart.
+1, the Ignis comes with a BHP / Ton figure of 99 which is higher than the Swift, non-RS Baleno, Brio and the Figo (Petrol). A worthy inclusion to the list

Will be interesting to see how the JTP twins fare in the market. From my side the award for the mass market performance car would go to the Tiago JTP.
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 10:21   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
Good post GTO. I would add the Honda Brio. Even though it is not perceived as a "Hot Hatch", the 4 pot 1.2 Vtec is a very peppy engine. Combine that with the low weight, well distributed chassis with wheels almost at the corners, and you have a cracker of a car.

Give me a break! My wife has a Brio and I drive it on the weekends for short runs in the city. Its nothing remotely close to an enthusiasts car. People just keep going gaga over the VTEC. Makes some sense in the City with the paddle shifts and all that. But the Brio struggles every where. Corners, straights. I used to have a Rapid 1.6 diesel and I would even think that was close to being an enthusiasts delight for that torquey diesel and excellent highway manners. The Brio? Well, surely no! Not in the league of the JTPs, Tsi and the Abarths listed here.
motorworks is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 11:59   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
.... I would add the Honda Brio...
A fun little car! Ride gets choppy on bad roads, but stays nice on good road. Loved the bite on brakes too. Puts a smile on face just like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
...why Hyundai Verna 1.6 litre Diesel engine could not find place in the list..!
Hyundai really needs to get their steering right. While the suspension is much better on the new products, the steering is no where one can utilize the power / handling.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 12:11   #56

The S Cross 1.6 is sorely missed here!
highonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 12:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Give me a break! My wife has a Brio and I drive it on the weekends for short runs in the city. Its nothing remotely close to an enthusiasts car. People just keep going gaga over the VTEC. Makes some sense in the City with the paddle shifts and all that. But the Brio struggles every where. Corners, straights. I used to have a Rapid 1.6 diesel and I would even think that was close to being an enthusiasts delight for that torquey diesel and excellent highway manners. The Brio? Well, surely no! Not in the league of the JTPs, Tsi and the Abarths listed here.
You are not driving it right. If you are expecting diesel torque, you are driving the wrong car. You have to ring the engine dry and keep revs above 3000-4000 rpm to have fun in it. You also have to work the gearbox. Do that and it is immense fun.

The front suspension is soft in the brio - I would not deny that. However upsize the tyres and it handles just fine for a tiny city car.

PS: The auto box is hopeless. If you are driving that then I agree with what you said.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th November 2018 at 12:23.
reignofchaos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 12:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

If money is not a constraint, I would love to get my hands on a Mini. But then, the statement " If money is not a constraint" opens the door for many amazing choices.

IMO, Octavia VRS is the best thing money can buy for people who don't want to cross the barrier of 30 big ones.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th November 2018 at 14:41. Reason: Typo corrected: consent - constraint
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 13:04   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by highonwheelz View Post
The S Cross 1.6 is sorely missed here!
IINM the list is based on the cars that are currently in retail.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 14:20   #60
BHPian

If it is a one dimensional purchase, with the selection being solely based on the drive, then for India, a superior car to a bonafide hot hatch does not exist. And as far as hot hatches go, there's none that match the heat of the Mini.

I'd go one up. Get a used 2012 model Mini. Simple, mostly mechanical, blazing hot, and a true-er Mini than the current gen Mini. That car describes fun. I'd be happy with the Polo GT, or even the Baleno RS. But the Mini is special in its ability to dart about with pops and crackles that are a riot.

I'll have one in my driveway soon. Okay, soon-ish :P
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks