Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2019, 22:03   #91
BHPian

My two all time favourites

My friend's Chevy Spark in Gurgaon - between 2008-2012 (I guess I drove it more than he did, more than my own wagon R and the Ford Fusion owned by the third member of the Gurgaon triad)

Loads of fun memories chucking it around the bylanes

The other would be my Mazda 626 - had the V6. I owned it for 6 months in the US.
Drove a bunch of other cars , but this was so much more fun to drive when compared to the corolla, the camry, the accord, the sentra that my friends owned and a bunch of rentals that we used to travel around

Honorable mention to the Mazda 3 - recent long drive to yellowstone ( I played a role in covincing my friend to buy it) he also has the cmax and having driven the two back to back, I can safely say that NA petrols are loads more fun :-)

Hoping that the next time we have this poll, I'm talking about my upcoming purchase.

Cheers!
Mar21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 22:43   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car or bike will you never forget?

My dad had a 118NE. I learned to drive in it and loved it so much that I didn't let him sell it when he was getting a fair resale for the car - eventually had to sell it at ⅓rd the price after a year of struggle with the constant niggles & repairs. He didn't complain using it even for the last year. The best thing he liked about it was the gearbox that (IIRC) Nissan supplied to PAL.

The wheels had spokes like cycle tyres do & were really nice to look. It's bolts could only be changed with an allen key & that was abit problematic back then.

Supreme comfort & my extended family loved it for the space.

Recently we spotted a well maintained 118NE in Koramangala. My family is usually very chatty but nostalgia gripped us & we were lost in memories till we reached home.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th January 2019 at 22:49.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 00:46   #93
BANNED

Car:
For me, it has to be the old Figo. Just a few short miles of test drive and I was sold.

The steering, oooh, and the chassis!

There were some obvious ergonomic flaws I found in the Figo. The roof is low, so, I was hitting my head every time during ingress and egress. The stalks were flipped. The hood latch was on the wrong side. The steering was brushing against my leg when I rested my foot on the clutch. And I was willing to look past all of that. For the way it made me feel when I was driving it. The stinker for me was the 80k price premium on top of what the Beat cost me.

Bikes:

The Navi was a revelation of sorts for me. I found it cute. But I didn't know how much fun it was until I rode it. I knew every review had pointed that out but it's an experience to be had. OD's Shumi agrees.

Quote:
It feels light and agile but the weight distribution is different. With a little effort, the Navi will lift its front wheel off the ground happily and that's a surprise. I'm beginning to understand that Honda's fun-oriented marketing for the Navi isn't just a spiel, it's real. Hey, that rhymes!
One quick 2km ride and I made up my mind to get this bike. My Impulse could be replaced by Xpulse or later CRF250 as and when the budget permits. The Gixxer Sf could be replaced with the Ninja 300/400/650.

But nothing can replace the Navi. Not the Grom. Not even the Monkey. I kinda like that it has an automatic transmission. Makes it great for commuting. The Monkey and Grom both, have a forward slant cylinder so the exhaust is in a vulnerable position if you choose to go over rocks and curbs. I do that sometimes when I'm having some fun off-road. The Navi's engine placement makes it suitable for bashing. It also makes replacing the wheel/tire/tube super easy with the benefit of "single-sided swingarm." Not that I'm a fan of upside-down forks, but FYI, the Navi also has that covered. Not a lot of people in the industry know that.

Despite all of that funk and cuteness, it's still as practical as a scooter. There's plenty of storage underneath. It looks small but the box can carry 7kg of rice - to give you an idea. It just has to be in seven 1kg bags. And I have a luggage rack where I have installed a jerry can mount. I also clip the tail bag to the rear seat when I'm expecting to carry some more luggage.

It has the convenience of a scooter and the handling of a bike. It's the most fun bike I've ridden and also the most confidence inspiring one. It brings out the child in me every time I grab its handlebars. I just wish it had more power. I may port the 125cc from the Activa some day.

It's easier to win the spec-sheet battle. It's difficult to engineer fun into a vehicle. I can't pinpoint which specification makes it so much fun.
MaheshY1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 01:02   #94
BHPian

Among the cars/bikes that i own/owned, the most memorable are:

1. Octavia vRS -
Great fun to drive MT car 10 years back with unique colour shade, my favourite. Have driven faster cars since then but nothing can beat the experience of driving vRS. Great engine, MT gearbox, dynamics and built! So many memorable drives!

2. Kawasaki ZX14R -
Mind numbing acceleration, comfiest and fastest road hyperbike, super reliable as well. Looks like i am never gonna let it go!
Attached Thumbnails
Which car or bike will you never forget?-img_2383.jpg  

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img_1462.jpg  

46TheDoctor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 01:34   #95
Team-BHP Support

The elegant proportions and stately design.

The prestige of the 3 pointed star on the hood.

That large diameter steering wheel.

The way the wheels pivot and increase their camber angle at full lock.

The feel of those wide and regal leather seats.

The iconic AC vents. Round; almost spherical.

The tight sound from the Alpine 6x9s on the rear parcel shelf.

The motorized antenna that would ascend every time you turned on the radio.

The stability at speed, there was barely anything as poised as it on our roads at the time.

The confident and effortless handling, even on the twistiest of narrow roads.

The thought and engineering that had gone into every single detail really made an impression on me.
- from how easy it was to open the hood (a plastic tab would pop out of the grille - rather than having to feel around under the hood for the latch like in every other car)
- to how easy it was to replace a blown bulb in the taillights (a simple plastic knob that you could unscrew with your hand from within the boot).

Undoubtedly one of the best cars ever made.

The Mercedes W123.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img_0341_edit_email.jpg
Rehaan is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 09:25   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Awesome! I have always observed this in total wonderment!

And the Germans do it so well. #attitude

Which car or bike will you never forget?-front-facia.jpg

Guess the RWD layout helps here.
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 12:11   #97
BHPian

For me it would be my father's Bajaj Super and then my Bajaj Discover 110cc that I got after my placement in 3rd year of engineering.
Bajaj Super was the one that taught me handling a motorized two wheeler in tricky situations.

Discover was that one that taught me to fall in love with long trips.Life changed after that bike came into my life.

Both are very close to my heart.

For cars , Hyundai Santro was my first car and is still with me. Love the rumble of puny inline 4 on highways.

I have owned few cars after that but the first car was the closest so far to me.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2019 at 07:46. Reason: Minor formatting
ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 16:22   #98
BHPian

This is a lovely thread!! Here are some of the cars that I will never ever forget:-

1. Maruti 800:- Well, to start things off the Maruti 800 was the first ever car I sat in as I came home from the hospital in one At the time , we owned a 1993 Maruti 800 SB308 DX which was white in colour. Unfortunately, it was sold just a few months after I was born.

2.Maruti Zen:- Yes another Maruti! Along with the 800, we also owned a 1998 Maruti Zen VX. The car had a beautiful peacock green colour and I remember enjoying to ride in it as a kid. The car was later given to my Uncle who sadly changed the colour to Golden. Even today, I am still a fan of the Zen and would love to own one, more so because I will soon be able to drive
Which car or bike will you never forget?-img_5135.jpg
This is a picture of the car after the repaint from 2004.

3. Ford Ikon:- If there is any car in this world that I would never ever forget for as long as I am alive, it will be the Ford Ikon! Back in 2002, my dad acquired a used Dark Green Ford Ikon 1.6 Zxi. There was just something about that car that excited me more than any other car, I had been in as a child. My dad too loved the Ikon. I have fond childhood memories with the Ikon or shall I say Ikonic memories. As a kid, I loved that car although there was very little I knew about it, seeing that car always made me happy. I have to say if it weren't for the Ikon, I may not have been a Car Enthusiast !! Sadly, we sold the Ikon in 2007 as it was not being driven regularly. I remember sulking as a 6 year old child when I saw it leave the compound. My Ikon is the one car that I would want to get back in a heartbeat if it still exists!
Which car or bike will you never forget?-11870031.jpg
That's a 2 year old me with the Ikon in 2003!

4.Toyota Corolla:- My Toyota Corolla has been with my family since 2005, so that's 14 years now. I have grown up with that car. Although I may not be having as much as an emotional attachment with it as I did with the Ikon, I can possibly never forget it, if at all it is ever sold. It won't be easy to forget a car that has tirelessly served us without any flaws or niggles for such a long time and continues to do so till this day!
Which car or bike will you never forget?-thumbnail-2.jpg

5.Fiat Palio :- Despite all the criticism and dislike that many people have shown towards the Fiat Palio, I have to say that it is one car that I can never forget. When I was little, my uncle had the Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX Sport in the Hot Formula Red shade! Although that car's engine was nothing compared to that of the 1.6 GTX, I loved the car. The solid build of the car, its huge and comfortable seats made me fall in love with it! Sadly, the Palio is quite a forgotten car now and newer Fiats like the Punto are a dying breed, I would love to own a Palio 1.6 even today to just experience the joy of owning a car that was legitimately fun to drive!
Which car or bike will you never forget?-dsc00388.jpg
Picture Courtesy:- sidindica

6.Old Honda City:- Although we never owned an old Honda City(1998-2003), it has been one of my all time favourite cars. The simple design, low seating position and great 1.5 Litre petrol engine or the crazy Vtec engine makes me feel attracted to that car even now. If given a choice between which Honda city I should choose between all the generations, it would surely be the First Generation!
Which car or bike will you never forget?-hondacityindia1998.jpg
Which car or bike will you never forget?-userreviews11383819476.jpg
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 21:25   #99
BHPian

One of the most beautiful threads I must say. Brought back memories of some lustful cars like the Opel Astra and Fiat Uno.

For me some of the vehicles I can never forget are what I have owned and some more as listed:
1. Maruti Zen: My dad's first car, bought new on March 21st 2001 and still with us. This car has been babied by my dad and now me. She still looks and rides like a new one too. The engine and gearbox of this car are still so involving to this day. The engine picks up her skirts and runs to the redline like theres no tomorrow and then the gearbox smoothly helps her chug along faster and faster. Of-course in the present day, there are cars which are way faster than my Zen for the same price. However, the level of involvement this thing brings in, I don't get from any other similar sized cars.

2. Maruti 800: We still have the 1995 Maruti 800 and I still use it everyday. To this day, I don't think twice about taking it out on a long drive and that talks a lot of its reliability. But what really gets to me to enjoy the drive is the pure mechanical feel of driving it! There is power nothing. No power brakes, no power steering, no electronic fuel injection, nothing! It is all mechanical and they all work! The low end torque, the three cylinder thrum, the next to nothing brakes, all make this car so exciting to drive. I am 6ft 1in and look like I am sitting on the car rather than in the car. Yet, I don't give two hoots on what my colleagues think, I love taking it around whenever I can.

3. Toyota Fortuner: This is another car we own which I love to bits and will not forget any memory of driving it. For an enthusiast with a fetish for speed, big, bulky trucks are far from exciting. However, I love driving this little truck (little because it is really not that big) for what it offers. It is an absolute no-nonsense SUV. When driving on the hills, one might say what fun can a ladder frame chassis with such high profile tyres be. I beg to differ. The body roll, the weak brakes, the torque, the tire squeal, the fairly accurate hydraulic steering, all make it very exciting for me personally. In my opinion, on indian roads, there are few cars which can show the fortuner their back side.

4. Honda CBR250R: I have definitely outgrown this bike in the last 7 years. I am long past the riding skills required to ride this one. There are bikes like Dominar which cost way less and can show the CBR a clean pair of heels anywhere. But this bike is never leaving my garage. It introduced me to riding, to touring and to this day doesn't bore me. The 390s are way quicker to accelerate but none have ever out-run a well ridden CBR on the highway. Of course all they have to do is twist and go while I have to duck and wring the hell out of this engine. But it never complained and I respect it for its honest and reliable nature while still being almost on top of the game.

5. Ford Fiesta: Never driven a car this side of 15L that was this exciting!! The steering, the chassis, the almost good brakes, they make it a hoot to drive this car. With that weak 1.4 TDCi engine many may write this car off. But on a hilly road, there are few cars that can put wider grin on my face than this one. It gripped through corners like no FWD car should and yet glided over rough roads in the most matured manner. I cannot give this car's handling enough praises and hence will never forget this.

6. Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi/ZXi: The swift in every generation was a lovely little hatchback. The gen 2 swift although toned down in terms of handling was such a brilliant little package. The L and V variants with their thinner tires were definitely not as good but the Z variants just made me fall in love with this car! I drove this car through the Goa ghats so hard, I wanted to do it all day long and the car would never complain! Steering was definitely not in the league of the Fords but it wasn't too bad either.

Other vehicles which were as much fun which I cannot forget driving are the Range Rover Sport, F10 BMW 520D, 1st Gen Ford Figo, Yamaha RX135, BMW 750Li and the Tata Ace. That's right, the Tata Ace! I salute the guys who drive this thing day-in day-out! Nevertheless, that's my list.
saishivaj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 21:44   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had a CR-V, an Acura 3.2. I have the Storme.

Yet the one that I miss - and regret selling:

Which car or bike will you never forget?-278301_2288765541600_4149133_o.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-386401_4977923928879_767227602_n.jpg
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 21:59   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yet the one that I miss - and regret selling:
The first pic reminded me of this ad :

Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 03:47   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

That's crazy.
So at full lock the inside wheel gets positive camber and the outside wheel gets negative camber? Is that correct? Because positive camber on the outside wheel would not be of much help if I'm not wrong.

Last edited by GTO : 20th January 2019 at 08:40. Reason: No SMS language on Team-BHP please (e.g. coz)
Old 20th January 2019, 12:35   #103

Many thanks for starting this thread.

I have a big list of my wheeled family members. Members which left had left with very exciting memories with us.

Trying to post some photos of our EX & Current possessions.
My dad is Doctor by profession but hardcore auto enthusiast and had spent more time in garages with vehicles than patients in hospital.
Vehicles by my Dad, owned and sold –

Started with Villiers Excelsior 125, then KGP Laxmi moped, Pizzaz, Rajdoot 175 Deluxe, Honda CD100, Bajaj Priya, 2 Bajaj M80s, Bajaj Stride (which later given to me and became my first mate), Bajaj Boxer CT, HH Splendor +, Suzuki Hayate.

Cars- 3 Premier Padmini’s, 118 NE, Maruti 800 5 speed, Maruti 800s-4 speed, TATA Nano LX

What he has now – Bajaj Avenger 220, Suzuki Access 125, Wagon R VXI

My Earlier possessions –
Started with Bajaj Stride, LML Sensation, Boxer CT, HH Splendor +, Activa 2008, Suzuki Samurai, Honda Navi
Maruti 800 STD, Alto 800 STD & 2 TATA Nanos, 2012 & NANO Twist

Vehicles currently with me –
RE TB 350, Suzuki Samurai (Recently restored), Jupiter, HH Pleasure
Cars – Alto K10 & Tigor XZA (recently purchased a week ago)
Bicycles- Goldie-6 speed, Hercules Riders Neo -21 speed

Out of all these Stride has special memories with me. It was my first wheeled mate & during collage days. It was very nice scooter & used to appear very modern than other scooters at that time.
LML Sensation was also very smooth machine, but faced lots of issues with the clutch.

I Love geared scooters & still wish to have one & searching for Stride again.

In Cars TATA Nano has special place in my heart, we had 3 TATA Nanos last one was just exchanged with Tigor. I love its cuteness, speciousness & easiness to drive & park.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0074.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-akaufmann_003.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20141114wa0025.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0010.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0011.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0047.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-fb_img_1508181521281.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0034.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0058.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0009.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0018.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0023.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0027.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0052.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0028.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0037.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0029.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0032.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0041.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0024.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0049.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0060.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0068.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0059.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0060.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0071.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190119wa0005.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img20190117wa0013.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-20190114_102423.jpg

Which car or bike will you never forget?-20190114_102450.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2019 at 07:45. Reason: Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this / minor formatting for improved readabil.
Impala_123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 14:42   #104
BHPian

While I love my civic which I am owning for last 11 years, overwhelmed by cousin's Aston Martin DB9, impressed my boss-s XE, allured by friend's palio's steering and dynamics, One machine I will never forget or might never sell is my 23 year old shogun. It was always great to beat RX100 and Bullet handsdown in all college and street races

It still works well and sounds great - somehow I loved the graphics on the very first sight, drooled on it till I convinced parents to get me one. Here is a recent pic. Now a days the joy is taking my daughter around in my village in "the boss".

btw Nice thread, there is a small risk of this turning out to be a show-off thread
Attached Thumbnails
Which car or bike will you never forget?-shogun.jpeg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2019 at 07:43. Reason: Minor formatting
RakishRam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:31   #105

The year was 1996, my father bought a PEUGEOT 309 petrol and oh what a car it was. Initially the driver would double crank the engine as we wouldn't know if the engine was running. It was spacious and very very comfortable. The horn was on the left stalk and used to run on Unleaded fuel which was not available in our town. It was quite a sensation at that time. On opening the bonnet I found parts from France, Portugal and many countries. My father fought his Lok Sabha election in that car . The company had shut shop in India but my father would go to the Parliament in that car. It would take me to my boarding school in Ranikhet with all my luggage We had the car till 2010. That car still holds a special place in my heart.
Khan_SK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks