Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 09:42   #106
BHPian

Re: Which car or bike will you never forget?

Have to dig for photos

But here is a list

1994- Hero Ranger Six speed MTB. It was the talk of the town and I used it as my daily ride to college and back approx 25 Kms every day for 4 years

1997 Tata Estate. The complete car and was way before its time.

1998 Opel Astra. Did not own this one but a friend did What a car with its 1.6 petrol engine and great gear box. It could burn rubber like no other car and was super comfortable.

1999 Kinetic Honda DX. The scooter that started it all.It is the grand daddy of the Activa

2000. Royal Enfield 1990 Std 350. This was what it was in a sea of 100 CC motor bikes. Rode Crazy and gave me a mileage of no less than 35 Km/PL

2000 Maruti ZEN. My model was before the options started coming. The true hot Hatch. I did two motor cross rallies in it.

2004 Ford Ikon 1.6 The Josh machine.

2007 Skoda Fabia Diesel. Still have it its a wolf in sheep clothing.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
So at full lock the inside wheel gets positive camber and the outside wheel gets negative camber? Is that correct? Because positive camber on the outside wheel would not be of much help if I'm not wrong.
Yeah, that's right. To draw an analogy, the wheels will resemble the front windshield wipers - either to the right or the left. And its a treat to view the car head-on when that happens.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 10:21   #108
BHPian

It all started when my father brought me a Hero Ranger bicycle in around 1991-92. It was silver in colour and I used to clean it every day - including the spokes . Those AT tires, called Balloon tires, were introduced first time in India and it was a rage. Can never forget it.

The first time I rode a motorized vehicle was my Yamaha RXG brought in 1997 and I still remember the “wind-in-my hair” feeling when I first rode it. Again etched in my brain. It had a menacingly responsive engine and you had to be careful in handling the sudden speed.

I learned driving on our family’s 1982 Premier Safari – The column gears, the thin steering wheel, that throaty exhaust. It was not fast, build quality was pathetic but it had character unseen in most of the cars today. Also learned ‘working’ on cars from then. Parallely, I also learned driving on our 1989 118NE (I still have it). It was much smoother compared to the Safari and more fun to drive. And unlike the troublesome experiences most had with it.
Then came the Zen in 1998 followed by the Alto in 2009. Apparently, I cannot forget the cars I have owned, but some are really special over others.
Old 21st January 2019, 10:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Ever since the day this thread started, I wanted to post my list. Being somewhat of an automobile enthusiast, I vividly recall every automobile that was either in my family, or in my garage. But instead of talking about 3-4 cars/bikes that I also could have, I decided to eventually zero down on one, as my response to this thread.

It is the ONLY Pre-Owned vehicle I ever purchased - the 2008 Gurkha.

This picture, from my early days with her, pretty much summarises the enormous amount of fun I had with this vehicle. This was the only vehicle that gave me the confidence to take on anything at all - any terrain, no trail (forget roads), water bodies, errant vehicles (trucks et. al.), heavy traffic, most congested lanes, rescues etc. etc.
North-Indians may recognise the psyche behind "Aan do BC" - that feeling and confidence.

It was also the only vehicle that REQUIRED me to get involved with it's intimate details, simply because no one else around seemed to have a clue.
And, it is the only vehicle that I still remember every single day, when I come across a place or a situation which makes me think - 'if only I had her still...'.

The Gurkha didn't just carry me places, it made memories. Bitter-sweet memories

Last edited by roy_libran : 21st January 2019 at 10:58.
roy_libran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 11:19   #110
BHPian

So here goes my list:

Mahindra Maxx: Learnt driving in this very car, the roads around my hometown were pretty bad, learnt a thing or two about grip and steering feedback. All fond memories.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-20190121_104645.jpg

Maruti Alto: My car after moving to Hyderabad, got it from the used market felt like a downgrade but that's all I could spare at that point and is serving me very well for all my needs. Took it to many road trips in and around including one to Goa without any hiccups. I don't think I will be able to sell this car ever.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-20190121_105708.jpg

Pulsar 150 UG 4: My first bike bought from when I saved up enough from my salary to be able to purchase a bike. Served me well and had some great experiences going on trips to Lonavala, Khandala and the likes near Pune. I do have a regret of not being able to take good care of the bike.

Aprilia SR 150: My current ride of choice. Still soaking in the experiences. Ownership review live on the forum as well, feel happy to be able to write it down. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-sr-150-a.html (Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150)

Also had a chance to own a Kinetic Honda and a Maruti Esteem for a brief period of time. Both being significant milestones in my vehicle ownership history in their own right.
sandx is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:38   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting question, but difficult to answer. I am fortunate having owned and driven quite a number of different cars. From my very first car, a beat up VW Beetle to my current classic cars, Alfa Romeo Spider, Mercedes W123, Jaguar XJR.

I have a story to go with every car I owned or drove. Some are really burned into my memory, some are somewhat more faded away, which probably means they did not make a lasting impression.

But this question requires one specific answer.
And to that I have to say it would be my 1974 restored Royal Enfield Bullet. Because it was such a complete different experience from anything before. I had never owned, let alone driven a motor bike. I was new to India. I bought this bike from a little company called Joga Motors at Karol Bagh. I just could not believe my eyes the first time I walked around that area.

First time ever driving a motor bike AND driving it in Delhi is an experience nobody is likely to forget! It also meant I had to get an Indian motor bike drivers license. Again, quite the experience.

I joined several biking groups, notably the Royal Mavericks, went on many of the monthly Delhi Bikers Breakfast Runs. I made a lot of new friends. Touring, usually as the only European and most often the oldest guy in the group was a unique experience for me. In the 3.5 years I owned the Bullet I covered some 15.000 km.

It gave me my own unique mobility. I have taken my bike on solo rides a couple of hundred kilometers away from Delhi. As my confidence grew, I started renting REs across India during my travels.

For various reasons I decided to sell my bike when we left India. I sold it back to Joga Motors.

I can honestly say, that buying, owning and driving a classic Royal Enfield for almost 4 years in India was a totally unique and wonderful experience from me. One I will never forget!

Which car or bike will you never forget?-royal-enfield-bullet.jpg

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 15:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I can honestly say, that buying, owning and driving a classic Royal Enfield for almost 4 years in India was a totally unique and wonderful experience from me. One I will never forget!

Jeroen
These old Enfields are just that. And that heavy crank engine gives you a different experience when riding as well.

I noticed the bike you had has a 5 sp gearbox retrofitted. How good was it on the old 350 engine. Did it aid in better cruising or was it not required on a heavy crank cast iron 350?
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 15:14   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
TI noticed the bike you had has a 5 sp gearbox retrofitted. How good was it on the old 350 engine. Did it aid in better cruising or was it not required on a heavy crank cast iron 350?
The main reason I had it fitted was I wanted to have the standard left foot gear, right foot brake set up. I did not want to get confused more as it was.

I choose the 350 as it was my very first bike. With hind sight I would have gone for the 500. The 350 was a bit underpowered, especially during cruising.

When I rented REs I always tried to get a 500.

Even with this gear box it was a bit stretched at anything over 70-80 km/h I found. When riding in groups, it was really a bit underpowered. Everybody overtook me always after we had slowed down to pass say a speed bump.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:57   #114
BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread, sure did bring out a wave of nostalgia..

About a decade back I had purchased a second hand Ford Ikon Flair (1.3). And this car till date remains the best car I have ever driven. My friends had christened her "The Red Fairy". Mind you it was lacking in all the worldly comforts the cars of today provide; but boy this car was a gem to drive. The thrill of engine response upon pressing the throttle was something I used to cherish. And to top it the car was so easy and light that you could drive hours at end without feeling tired. (Snap at the end). I sold her around 6 years back as the maintenance issues increased, but even today looking at her pics brings back those happy memories.

And the second one in my list is the BMW 4 Series - Gran Coupe. Why? Simply because BMW is my favorite brand and I got a chance to ride this babe once. (There is an interesting story around renting of this car, perhaps I will post a separate thread regarding the renting experience in Netherlands). The plethora of electronics that the car immerses you in is over-whelming, but once you get used to it, it sure makes for a happy ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car or bike will you never forget?-ford.jpg  

Which car or bike will you never forget?-bmw.jpg  

Ikonification is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 18:04   #115

1998: My first love for something that moves with a motor: LML Vespa. Can't forget the rides with my dad and the way I used to sleep on the speed-o-meter.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-lml-vespa.jpg

2003: The pocket rocket that had the looks also. We are talking about the Zen before the face lift damaged its image.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-marutisuzukizenimage5279.jpg

2007: My first encounter with a bike that I actually rode. The Kinetic Honda, a amazing piece of motor that had this unforgettable pull sound. Learnt a majority of my scooter learning on this even falling from it couple of times. Will be etched in my memory forever. We had the 4-stroke variant.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-kineticzoomzx.jpg

2008: My first bike Honda CB Stunner. Was only allowed to venture into 125cc bikes by my dad and was blown over by the sleek semi-flared design, the things that college kids see in a bike.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-wpcontentuploads201211hondacbfstunnermileageinfo500x500.jpg

2009: My first encounter with driving and that too an automatic. Was not in the age to appreciate the feasibility of driving an automatic and always brood over the lack of pick up. The car: Hyundai Santro.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-santro.jpg

2010: Imagine you were an average 20 year old who just got hand on a 1.6 liter naturally aspirant petrol engine in a large car with a notchy gearshift and exceptional steering. BLISS. The car: Chevrolet Optra. Felt really bad while selling it, it was a wonderful car that still doesn't have a replacement in my heart.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-chevroletoptra.jpg

2012: The optra gave space to the 1st diesel in our family. The torque, the heavy clutch, the clatter clatter, the push backward when you accelerate and the finesse of German engineering. The car: Volkswagan Vento. Yet, to drive a car that pushed me into the seat in the first gear. Also rock stable at 170 KMPH. Had to sell it due to regular maintenance issues that needed us to sell lands.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-vento.jpg

2017: My dream of 7 years finally became a reality. The dynamics, the I can kill you with a smile looks, the engine and finally the love. The car: Fiat Punto Evo.

Which car or bike will you never forget?-punto.jpg

P.S. All the images were taken from external sources, as I don't have many images available with me right now.
KushKaun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 16:09   #116
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic Thread GTO.

The following cars/bikes that I have driven or family owned are very varied. Probably a list which is quite different from most, as there is a sprinkling of vintage and classic cars!

The car that played an important role in our early life was this 1955 Studebaker Regal Champion. This car took us to school and used to transport all the agricultural produce from our farm. Gave us great service. My mom used to drive this car in the 1970's and she was well known being one of the few lady drivers in Bangalore.

The Studebaker ready to drop my sister and me to school
Which car or bike will you never forget?-1.jpg

The 1935 Austin 10/4 was probably the first vintage car that my Dad restored. We had the this car for many many years. Joining this car at one point was this wonder Morris 1000 Tiger. The Tiger was a great car to drive and we had a very memorable drive to Salem and back from Bangalore.
Which car or bike will you never forget?-2.jpeg

The Morris Minor in the background gave us good service carting things for for house under construction in the early 1990's. The Matchless Motorcycles in front was probably my first vintage motor cycle owned by me.
Which car or bike will you never forget?-3.jpeg

The wonderful drive we had in our Morris 1000 Tiger to Salem was to go and purchase this Morris Mini. This Mini was first car that I owned. The car was beautiful to look at but terrible to drive
Which car or bike will you never forget?-4.jpeg

This BSA Shooting Star 500CC Twin was the first and only Twin engine motorbike that I ever owned
Which car or bike will you never forget?-6.jpeg

The 1954 Dodge Convertible (Blue Car) had a very long association with the family. The story of this car is here (Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible)

The 1932 Plymouth seen in the picture was purchased in 2009 and remains in the family. More details of the car is here (1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan)
Which car or bike will you never forget?-7-2.jpeg

This Nissan 300 ZX Z32 was the first sports car I was able to drive, this was in the mid 1990's. Thanks to Nikhilb2008 for identifying the car.
Which car or bike will you never forget?-8.jpeg

The Hyundai Santro DX was the first modern car I purchased in 1998. This car was loaded with power steering, foglights, power windows, rear wiper, rear defogger etc.

Seen here is me taking delivery of the car from Trident Hyundai in 1998
Which car or bike will you never forget?-9.jpeg

But the car that really remains very closely to my heart is the 2003 Hyundai Accent CRDi. This car was a technology leap and the engine was such a pleasure. Did a lot of drives in this car. What a car!
Which car or bike will you never forget?-10.jpg

Other cars owned by me over the years includes Alto, Santro Auto, i10 Auto, i20 CRDi, Verna SX (0) CRDi and currently have the Creta CRDi SX and i10 Grand CRDi as the beater car.

Among the vintage cars, I am currently doing a 1947 Daimler DB18, which should ready in the next few months. Details here (Daimler Tales - 1947 Daimler DB18 Luxury Saloon)

Thanks for reading

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by Zappo : 25th January 2019 at 12:32. Reason: As requested...
KPS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:37   #117
BHPian

“I look back with a mix of emotions: sadness for the cars had to relinquish, nostalgia for times spent riding in, but immense gratitude for the elation that I had with them”.

Beholden am I, GTO for this fortuity to rekindle antiquity.

I have fervor for car as long as I can bethink of especially the joy rides I used to have on the bench seat in the front sitting close to my dad when he used to come home from work.

It all started with the Mark 1 Ambassador shell white colour that dad owned for a year. It was a second hand one so he could learn driving that was in 1974-75.

After that the Mark 2 then mark 3 and Mark 4. The Ambassador was one stalwart beast. I did learn to drive in one too. I remember the numbers of the cars so vividly: 2857,3947,9647,4877 (an affinity for the number 7 one might say).

My Mark 4 Amby was purloined just outside my window during the rainy season. She was one sky blue beauty with white walled tyres (9647) .We had met with an accident, all family and baggage in the car on the Goa-Mumbai run. She really saved us. Took all the hit, only left us with a shock. That is why I miss her the most.

Later my first car, dad’s gift to me was the Premier 118NE bought in 1995 in dark grey shade. Well the body was a rust bucket many alleged but had a gem of an engine, bucket seats and the manual gears were amazing. We had her for 9 years. (1995-2002).

My first car (money out my pocket) was the second generation Wagon R Vxi. 1.1L (2002-2010). White colour with the interiors done in Red. I had upgraded the Pioneer music system with cassette as well as 6 CD changer with 6 speakers, tweeters including a sub woofer and had Alloy Rims (Aura) wider tyres for stability. Took her everywhere and cherished her like a baby. At times I wish I could buy her back, do up and keep her.

Then came “Men are Back”... Sunlight Copper SX4 Vxi (2008-2015). The colour in the Sun really caught the eye. It felt unique as production in this colour was less. The petrol engine was a real beast. Enjoyed a lot of highway driving, the rev of that 1.6 litre DOHC engine gave a great Adrenalin rush.

Current one is a Taffeta White Honda City Vmt (2015) still making memories with her.
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 11:53   #118
BHPian

Great thread!.
It does bring up a lot of nostalgic memories.

I have owned a few motors, 2 and 4 wheeled, but the ones which are close to my heart are

1. TVS express 35 cc - (pic taken from the internet, I had a blue colour one) My first motorised ride, in school.

2. The Maruti 800 - my dad had got me a dark blue one during my MBBS days. Lots of great fun memories associated with this, long drives, secret getaways, and what not. Unfortunately, sold it when I moved to the UK. I wish i had held on to it.

3. My previously owned Beemer convertible 318 Ci -(thats me in the car with my daughter at the back) - fantastic handling and a great drivers car. It was a dream to be driving this on the winding A roads in the UK. My daughter was a bigger fan of this one and absolutely used to beg me to put the roof down all the time.

and of course, all my current rides are close to my heart. How I wish I get more time to enjoy my rides.

Cheerio!
Attached Thumbnails
Which car or bike will you never forget?-img_20180518_084310.jpg  

Which car or bike will you never forget?-img_2247.jpg  

Last edited by alphadog : 25th January 2019 at 11:54. Reason: typo
Old 13th February 2019, 11:34   #119
BHPian

My Papa had a Kawasaki KB100 RTZ bought in the year 1990, I was only 6 years old back then, and was sent to a boarding school. Summer holidays when I went home, the bike was there and a young me was simply smitten. I recall, hearing the sound of the bike, when dad used to return from work, we stayed in a quaint little government colony, and the sound could be heard from 500 meters away, and me getting all excited to ride the bike. He used to happily oblige to my request and take me for a joyride around the colony everyday.

I remember sitting in front of papa and starting with holding the handle bar, along with him. Then moving on to holding and balancing the handle bar on my own, and shifting gears, while he sat behind me. Then moving to try kick starting the bike, got hit a coupe of time on the ricochet. Then finally graduating to riding the bike.

These are some of the fondest memory I have, unfortunately dad sold the bike as we were moving out of town, and now that I have the means of being able to restore it, we cannot find the person who we sold it to.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:00   #120
BHPian

Never been a bikes guy.

Have been owning and driving increasingly better cars with time from the humble Zen, to Indica, to Chev Beat, Ford Fiesta and now the Linea. Liked my latest acquisition at any point of time. All diesel barring the Zen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks