Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2019, 00:41   #61
BHPian

Re: Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?

I can speak of the case for my parents. We bought an A4 (2.0TDI 2015 spec) from the dealer back in Calcutta at an enormous discount (nearly 15 lacs off the showroom price because it was a demo car). Mum had actually arranged for a test drive for an A3 - but dad spotted the A4, asked off hand about that particular car and before I knew it he bought the thing! For the first few years he was really really pleased (even though he's historically yearned for a Merc). Last Christmas when I went home to visit, I found his mood had changed rather drastically, to the point he was done with Audi. Turns out at the last service, the car came back with an odd rattle that they still haven't sorted out 6 months later. Just the other night whilst he was in London visiting my uncle and the two of them were looking at videos for a replacement for my uncles Merc, my dad launched into a tirade against the Audi dealership in Cal, specifically, that services are expensive and the after sales has been very frustrating and he's stuck as they're the only dealer in town. He bemoaned a similar situation for a colleague who bought a 2017 spec A4 as well. So in this instance I'll say it isn't the cars fault per se but the dealer, Mohan Motors and the after sales. I have to say even in the early days there were little niggles where for example they forgot to fit the underbody protection plate back on after the first service.

Here's the odd thing too, 2 years ago when it came time to get a small automatic hatchback for my mum it was Mohan Motors again who won the day (dad was bored by the Polo GT, and thoroughly put off by the price and the horror stories of the DSG...much to my dismay because god it was fun to drive). We ended up getting a Nissan Micra, also at a hefty 1lac discount. It's very bizarre though. In summation I'll have to say it's the after sales that's let down Audi here as the guys their folks managed to make 2 sales in our household. Fingers crossed for the Nissan before I catch dad grumbling about that too...

PS: Dad's already claimed he wants a Merc next.. Mum on the other hand firmly has her eyes set on the Evoque. I eagerly await to see who wins this duel.
ads11 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 23:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
PS: Dad's already claimed he wants a Merc next.. Mum on the other hand firmly has her eyes set on the Evoque. I eagerly await to see who wins this duel.
Get the Mercedes which your dad has eyes on since long or a Bimmer with a 10 year BSI and you don't need to worry about servicing for long.

JLR after sales is nothing to write home about.
Old 20th March 2019, 14:44   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Get the Mercedes which your dad has eyes on since long or a Bimmer with a 10 year BSI and you don't need to worry about servicing for long.

JLR after sales is nothing to write home about.
I'd just like to mention that Mercedes service and maintenance costs are a wee bit more than Audi.
Our C220d first service was nearly 30K IIRC compared to 20K for the A6, the C220d also had it's rear brake pads replaced at 10K (and it a fairly common item for these parts to wear out quickly from what I've seen with other Mercedes owners).
Plus service times were leisurely - not a drop in morning, pick up by afternoon scene.

That being said, Mercedes after sales is very professional & well mannered, unlike my experience with Audi.

BMW has better A.S.S. than Audi in Mumbai as well, but in terms of customer touch points - Mercedes scores higher.
BMW may actually be a lot more cost effective to maintain though - at least what I have seen with my friends and family + our experience with our old 5 series.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 18:55   #64
BHPian

As any Indian, when I landed in Germany, wanted to own the 4 rings (Audi). Before finalizing and owning a Skoda Superb; I have test driven so many brands and models. Of which A6 was one of my favorites. The below are my observations on A6 based on my preference;

1. It took almost 10 mins for me to get to a comfortable driving position with Seat and Steering adjustments. Getting a proper Lumbar, Elbow and Shoulder support and visibility. Rather it took just over 1 minute for me in Skoda
2. The cockpit is not driver friendly. I had to constantly look into the buttons layout to use them. Especially the most common used were not at Thumb/Pointers reach Cruise, Volume, wiper etc... It took me 5 mins to look at the layout in Skoda and till date, I have never looked at it again while driving
3. I hate the Rotary knob to use the Navi/Radio was so annoying. I would have preferred either a Touch/Physical buttons like a TV remote. My Skoda has Touchscreen
Old 24th March 2019, 08:10   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

On a related note, Audi is also no longer a Bollywood favourite. Look in this thread. At one time, there were so many Audis & Q7s. Now, it's mostly Mercedes & Land / Range Rover - link (Bollywood Stars and their Cars).

Things have gotten so bad that they actually sponsored a Bollywood show & gifted an A5 to Ajay Devgan - link.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 08:22   #66
Senior - BHPian

I usually see used Audi's with so many real estate agents in Pune that I wonder if every original owner is selling his car for something new!
Old 24th March 2019, 09:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On a related note, Audi is also no longer a Bollywood favourite. Look in this thread. At one time, there were so many Audis & Q7s. Now, it's mostly Mercedes & Land / Range Rover - link (Bollywood Stars and their Cars).

Things have gotten so bad that they actually sponsored a Bollywood show & gifted an A5 to Ajay Devgan - link.
True! It is all because the Q7 is no longer the butch behemoth it used to be. That position has now been taken by the Mercedes GLS Audi must really do something to regain their lost ground.
For starters, maybe they should start selling the previous Q7 exclusively for India at hefty discounts?
artemis_fowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 15:33   #68
BHPian

Audi really needs a design overhaul to win customers back. Their designs have become staid and not moved forward from the ones 10 years ago. If anything they have started to resemble VW design language more closely. All straight lines and no curves. It's as if the design team have had any sense of fun surgically removed from them.
Even the most sporty of their cars, the A5 wears a scowl like the Batman! The others like Q7 which set standards earlier are uninteresting to look at and the new A6 does a good impression of a Camry. It's as if the soul has gone missing!
mayjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 17:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Trouble brewing in Kolkata. I have been hearing some rumors and murmurs of trouble at the Kolkata Audi dealership whose the parent company also runs the Porsche and Ducati dealerships in the city. Looks like Audi (and the VAG) can't seem to catch a break! The parent company also runs dealerships of Hyundai, Isuzu, Maruti Suzuki, Nissan etc.

Last edited by avishar : 24th March 2019 at 17:32.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 17:35   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

This seems to be Audi's problem worldwide. Coming up with a road-map to regain momentum.

Quote:
Audi plans fresh overhaul to regain lost ground to BMW, Mercedes.
Quote:
Audi will present a new plan in May to regain momentum after falling behind rivals Mercedes-Benz and BMW
Quote:
Audi will present a strategic realignment of the company at its annual meeting on May 23
Quote:
The product portfolio will be revamped in line with demand, particularly in the upper premium segments
Quote:
By 2025, the product range in the upper mid-range and full-size segment will have grown to 15 models
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 17:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Trouble brewing in Kolkata. I have been hearing some rumors and murmurs of trouble at the Kolkata Audi dealership whose the parent company also runs the Porsche and Ducati dealerships in the city. Looks like Audi (and the VAG) can't seem to catch a break! The parent company also runs dealerships of Hyundai, Isuzu, Maruti Suzuki, Nissan etc.
Totally unsurprised based on what I've heard from dad and his friends who own Audi's. The main group is Mohan Motors and they have many brands under their umbrella. Like I said earlier in the thread, the problem with having only one dealer for a brand in the city is that customers are in a pickle if said dealer is bad.

Can I ask what exactly is happening? Are disgruntled customers finally making their voice heard?
ads11 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 18:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Things have gotten so bad that they actually sponsored a Bollywood show & gifted an A5 to Ajay Devgan.
Was that a media car? I find it hard to believe that they'd gift a brand new A5.

Cheers!
Old 25th March 2019, 19:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Can I ask what exactly is happening? Are disgruntled customers finally making their voice heard?
Apparently they have been cooking the books for a while and the slowdown in demand has caught them out. Staff and salesmen are leaving and many have not been paid for a month or two. Plus, like you said, they have a history of customers being disgruntled with them. I heard that the other big groups are moving in to take over the franchisees, since the Kolkata luxury market is still quite big. Unfortunately, it is only a couple of big groups who control the entire dealership market in Kolkata and Germans especially have no competition among themselves.

Funnily enough OSL (the BMW dealer) was in doldrums a year or two back, but they are doing good business today.

Also Volvo, after re-entering the Kolkata market, is doing well.

Last edited by avishar : 25th March 2019 at 19:05.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 14:13   #74
BHPian

In Bangalore you can find tens of used A4, Q5 etc.

And they look the same as the new models

No new Audi has any buzz whatsoever - people who spend 40+ want a lot of glamour value from their purchases and no audi provides that anymore
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 14:33   #75
BHPian

Audi is no longer appealing. Back in the day the Q7 was THE SUV, now it doesnt even look as appealing. If you compare the A8 with the 7 series and S class the A8 has nothing exciting to offer.
Coming down to engines, The 3 series has a powerful 330i, the C class has the C300d.. and A4? A 1.4 tsi and a not so exciting fwd 2 tdi. Even the A6 and A4 once had the 3.0 tdi, now they dont have any exciting engines to offer. Even the Q7 once had the 4.2 V8 Diesel, not anymore.
DanishP9797 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed