Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:43   #91
BHPian

Re: Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
After four years of sliding sales, Audi hopes to fight back with new launches.
Hardly going to do anything. Audi loyalists have already shifted to newer launches of Benz and BMW and Audi is far behind. The A6 might be able to bring in some customers but otherwise, the A8 and Q8 are just halo products which won't bring volumes. Halo products are to be brought when your mainstream lineup is fully setup. Someone explain this to Audi
Old 2nd September 2019, 21:41   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
I heard a surprising point of view on this. A die hard Audi sedan fan shifted his loyalty to the benz. The reason he says is all hyundai vernas now look like audis and he does not find them unique any more. I am not really sure if this is just a case of one person or if many are thinking like this.
So it seems I am not the only one! He is right. In fact it’s happened with me few times specially if the Verna is in black. From a distance of about 50 meters or more on the expressway, while behind one, I have many times mistaken the Korean for an A4 in broad daylight. My wife has even mentioned “why are these two, clones!”.

Last edited by maven : 2nd September 2019 at 21:47.
maven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 00:22   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Audi to discontinue diesel engines in India post April 2020.
Any reason given why?

Going Porsche way with only petrol in portfolio.

Bad move given luxury car market is mostly diesel driven.
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:32   #94
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think it is now all about the inordinately high prices for these 'aspirational' automobiles.

As an aside;
There was a time in the 1980's and 1990's when even seeing an Audi or Merc or Beemer or Jag on the road was a relative rarity and it meant that the owner was a 'seriously moneyed' member of the real elite.

Now all of these brands are so terribly commoditized as most luxe brands are, that in some sense, they have become way less aspirational than before.

Nowadays (as is the case in much of the 'developed' world), a member of the 'real elite' is more likely to be driving about in an older but yet classy car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th September 2019 at 16:54. Reason: Closing bracket :)
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:01   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Nowadays (as is the case in much of the 'developed' world, a member of the 'real elite' is more likely to be driving about in an older but yet classy car.
Funny you mention this. If you look at the "C" and "D" segments in the UK, its the Audi A3, Merc A Class, Merc C Class, BMW 3 series that dominate the segments. You need to look hard to actually see a Mondeo.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 08:54   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Funny you mention this. If you look at the "C" and "D" segments in the UK, its the Audi A3, Merc A Class, Merc C Class, BMW 3 series that dominate the segments. You need to look hard to actually see a Mondeo.
A4 though? How does it not get counted in those segments
Old 4th September 2019, 11:09   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigr View Post
A4 though? How does it not get counted in those segments
The A4 hardly sells much at the moment hence I did not include it (I could be wrong, hardly saw any of the new A4's during my trip last month!)
Old 4th September 2019, 11:42   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The A4 hardly sells much at the moment hence I did not include it (I could be wrong, hardly saw any of the new A4's during my trip last month!)
Looks odd in my opinion:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a...a4-2019-review
Old 8th September 2019, 12:28   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! This caught my eye:
Quote:
With the channel partners also sensitized about the future business plans, Ansari said the focus was now on bringing about a mindset change and looking at opportunities such as BS VI petrol instead of BS VI diesel. “Not having a diesel is a USP, I think,” he said.
Dumbest thing I heard in this monsoon season. No wonder Audi suffered so much under his poor leadership.

Having an EV is a USP
Having a hybrid is a USP

Not having a fuel option that luxury customers still care about is NOT a USP.

Quote:
“HQ is surprised by the frequency of change. While GST has remained stable, other taxes have crept up, compelling us to look at price increases,” added Ansari.
Typically lame statement. Yes, there have been external changes, but they affect all brands, not just Audi. Why has Audi suffered the most? Typical mentality of blaming everything & everyone for problems instead of looking internally.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 12:37   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Think discontinuing Diesel engines makes immense sense - it is clear that diesels CANNOT comply with emission norms in the real world and impose an unacceptable cost in damaging air quality in urban areas. May seem hypocritical since I own a diesel SUV - but it was bought at a time when the manufacturer concerned did not have a petrol option, and I am sure it is my first and last diesel car.

Will that help Audi boost sales, or act as an USP? Of course not. Audi needs to do something about the design of its models, even if it is as inane as the giant kidney grills in new BMWs. You just can’t tell a brand new Audi from its 10 year old counterpart - and beyond a point, that is unacceptable to consumers. With VW’s new thrust towards electric vehicles, I am sure Audi will launch those in a big way in the next 2-3 years - which should pave the way for a comeback.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 13:40   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Dumbest thing I heard in this monsoon season. No wonder Audi suffered so much under his poor leadership.

Not having a fuel option that luxury customers still care about is NOT a USP.
Dumb to the core. This reminds me of this where the weaknesses are reworded by marketing heads to look positive:

Name:  marketing memes.png
Views: 3146
Size:  255.2 KB
Image source

Quote:
Typically lame statement. Yes, there have been external changes, but they affect all brands, not just Audi. Why has Audi suffered the most? Typical mentality of blaming everything & everyone for problems instead of looking internally.
Corporate talk and typical blame game to say the least.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 14:49   #102
BHPian

Things are goofy with Audi India my friend got a great deal for the A4 but they have not delivered it till now even after 2 months. They want more money for some reason and the booking amount was not enough for some reason?

I dont want to name the dealer for now lets see if things work out.
Old 9th September 2019, 07:25   #103
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Think discontinuing Diesel engines makes immense sense - it is clear that diesels CANNOT comply with emission norms in the real world and impose an unacceptable cost in damaging air quality in urban areas.
With Adblue / similar solutions, diesels are easily able to meet & exceed BS6 norms. Mercedes has already rolled this out.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 10:12   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With Adblue / similar solutions, diesels are easily able to meet & exceed BS6 norms. Mercedes has already rolled this out.
Don’t deny that. But I was talking about delivering acceptable compliance in real world urban conditions. For example. See this. I suspect that in India, like in other markets, the absence of real world compliance will ultimately make selling diesel a very risky proposition, which most manufacturers will not accept.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 14:48   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Was speaking to dad yesterday and he mentioned that Mohan Motors showed up in the papers for the wrong reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Audi Ranchi which was owned by Mohan Motors has shut shop last month. I think Audi Guwahati is owned by Mohan Motors too apart from Audi Kolkata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Mohan Motors is neck deep in financial trouble and almost all their dealerships are closing down.
The latest update on Mohan Motors & Audi:
Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?-whatsapp-image-20191001-14.41.14.jpeg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed