Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 19:42   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
I completed 10k kms in approx 5 months now. I have been using my Bolero, for mainly highway drives between my native and BLR and also for getaways to western ghats.Wanted to add some some observations here after covering more than 10k kms and first service. I have already mentioned my likes and dislikes earlier in this thread, will try to add some new observations.

[/center]
Hi mate,

Really happy to see an urban user enjoying this crude beauty which is generally stamped as a rural cash cow. The photos look very elegant especially the ones in the natural background.

If time permits, please put up a detailed ownership review of the Bolero, there aren’t many ownership reviews of Bolero in the forum.

Wish you many more happy miles with the Bolero !!!!
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:57   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Dislikes after 10k kms:

• Minor squeaks and rattles are creeping from the dashboard. Hard to isolate where it’s coming from. Doors take some effort to close, if they are not closed properly then we can hear lot of rattling on bad roads.
  • It’s hard to tell when the Bolero crash on bad roads and when it will glide. Sometimes when I expect the vehicle to crash with loud thud, it simply glides over like a magic carpet and on occasions where I expect it to glide it crashes with a thud.
  • There was some oil leakage near the engine, I pointed it out during the first service, they have corrected the torque settings. So far I do not see any leakage, will be monitoring. I noticed the leakage as I have a habit of opening the hood and inspecting the engine bay before a long drive.

Not many dislikes as of now apart from mentioned earlier. Its serving its purpose well so far.

Cases of mistaken identity

Bolero ownership is incomplete without those cases of mistaken identity.
KA05 - Jayanagar? Have not seen many around here in this color which I think is the best and the rocky beige as well. It definitely needs some alloy wheels.

Some pointers - I`m guessing you service the vehicle in Ananth, regardless go during week days, book the first slot and insist on a technician driving the vehicle first on some bad and good roads, make note of all the customer complaint as well as his own observations. These are passed onto the second technician who puts the vehicle on the lift and inspect everything, afterwards the second guy will inform you of good and bad, then starts the work with your concurrence if there is anything to be replaced or work to be done.

After the work is done, vehicle idles for a while with all electrics on , checked for leaks, door alignment etc.

A second test drive is done before handing the vehicle back to you if everything is okay, so let them take their time.

Regarding the crash and glide - play close attention to how the vehicle`s weight shifts as per your pedal inputs, the loaded axle will crash, the unloaded one will glide and make sure to maintain exact cold tire pressure.

We used to have a White bolero earlier, me and my rather heavily build friends were mistaken to be police many times. Depaartmentu Gaadi.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 17:17   #78
BHPian

Quote:
KA05 - Jayanagar? Have not seen many around here in this color which I think is the best and the rocky beige as well. It definitely needs some alloy wheels.
I stay in RR nagar - got the vehicle registered at Jayanagar. Had the option of RR nagar rto as well, but we all love KA-05 , don’t we ?

Rocky beige is my favourite too. When I was buying , that color option was not there. However I liked this new brown , much more subtle than older version.

I personally am not a fan of alloys. My punto’s alloy is slightly bent and I understood from the technician we have to buy new alloy as we can’t fix the bend like we do with steel wheels. For now I will stick to steel wheels, may be upgrade to good looking ones later. Honestly , I am not an expert, I just read few articles about it and it mentioned the same that alloys are not that good for bad roads.

Quote:
Regarding the crash and glide - play close attention to how the vehicle`s weight shifts as per your pedal inputs, the loaded axle will crash, the unloaded one will glide
Makes sense! Will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the inputs.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 16:51   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a test drive of Bolero B6(O) BS6 today.

My observations

1. No pretence. Just a rudimentary yet true robust workhorse.

2. Nice view of the road from driver's seat

3. Good headroom and seats were comfortable too. Rear seats have impressive underthigh support.

3. Engine is pretty refined for a 3 cylinder diesel

4. Noise insulation at 80 kmph is very good too

5. The 75 bhp 210 Nm 1.5 liter 3 cylinder diesel has excellent driveability. There is brisk progress with a slight dab on the accelerator. It refuses to stall, no matter what you do. Progress till 80 kmph is okay. The car won't make you want to drive anything above that.

6. Very surprising to what I have read about the leaf spring sprung Boleros, it was indeed comfortable to ride even on bad roads. Came as a surprise to me. I never thought ride quality would be tolerable. Infact it was good.

6. Old school charming looks. Only ladder on frame, RWD sub 4 meter SUV on sale.

7. Fuel efficiency - With the characteristics of the 1.5 diesel, the way it drives, I won't be surprised to see real world fuel efficiency figures between 15-18 kmpl easily.

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-20210430_150007.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-20210430_145011.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-20210430_145514.jpg

Dislikes:

1. Not a car for an average urban joe who wants everything from 1 car. This darling is for the people who want no nonsense durable car that can take abuse, without having any image or sex appeal to it. It has no features nor sophistication. It's a truck!! Everything shakes but nothing ever will break.

2. Leg room is a joke. I am above average in height and no one could sit behind me with driver seat set to my height.

3. If you want highway performance, look some where else. Bolero is a 40-80 kmph car.

4. Interiors - as rudimentary as the exteriors. Only one airbag, in 2021! No rpm meter. Everything is digital.

5. Price - 11.2 lakhs on road. Damn, you get ecosport titanium diesel at a slight premium, nexon xm diesel, even xuv300 w4 diesel at that price. Different set of priorities, different type of buyers. But 11 lakhs is a lot of money for this car.

6. Steering can't be adjusted in any way.

7. Brake and clutch pedals placed a bit too high. Clutch I didn't find it weird, but brakes I found it strange. I had to lift up my heel to apply brakes. My size 12 feet never had to lift the heel to apply brakes in any car so far.

8. Brakes were weak and not confidence inspiring.

9. Safety : Crash worthiness of a 25 year old construction is everyone's guess!

Personally I liked it because it brought back the memories of the 7 year old me, driving a car for the first time, the car being our 1995 Mahindra Armada. Bolero is just an armada with a new face and new engines.

PS: I drove in our farms and empty school playgrounds and not on the public roads that time.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th April 2021 at 17:20.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 00:39   #80
BHPian

An update: completed close to 12k kms now. Surprisingly still no low DEF indicator. There was 6 litres still left last time I got it checked during 10k service.

Got some respite from the lockdown and we thought of driving down to our favourite beach again. Nothing much to add w.r.t vehicle, has been reliable companion so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-fa998a6dac4547e380da4f01b337d872.jpeg  

vj_torqueaddict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 00:01   #81
BHPian

Completed 1year and 16000kms with my Bolero. Still have not refilled Adblue and no warning as well. Amazing!

Minor niggles cropping up, which was expected. Dashboard rattle, rubber beadings coming lose etc . But nothing major. Still drives as of day one.

Me with my humble ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-e96c1ad791854f03a05cfdcb8fd8c6d5.jpeg  

vj_torqueaddict is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 13:38   #82
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Bolero now comes with dual airbags

According media reports, Mahindra was supposed to introduce dual airbags on the Bolero facelift. However, it seems the safety feature has silently been introduced in the current model.

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-bolfsbannerdesktop.jpg

The Mahindra Bolero is available in three variants - B4, B6 and B6(O). Safety features like dual airbags, ABS, reverse parking sensors, seat belt reminder and a co-driver occupant detection system is now standard across all variants.

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-safety_upgraded31jan.jpg

The Bolero is powered by a 1.5-litre mHawk75 diesel engine that produces 75 BHP @ 3,600 rpm and 210 Nm @ 1,600-2,200 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 14:33   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra Bolero now comes with dual airbags
Crazy how an automaker who claims to be a safety leader needed a government requirement to make such basic safety features available in their bestseller!
theAutomaniac is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 11:11   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Crazy how an automaker who claims to be a safety leader needed a government requirement to make such basic safety features available in their bestseller!

I guess Mahindra too know that the Bolero is too old now but they don't want to give up on their cash cow. They are trying hard to make it safety compliant.
They know that the Bolero Neo cannot replace the current Bolero and the sales numbers show that too
DIV17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 13:38   #85
BHPian

Apart from upgrading safety features, I think the Bolero also needs a much more powerful engine under the hood. Cant imagine a 7 seater UV with this underpowered mill. I remember driving the Bolero between 2007-10, and it was grossly underpowered.
Most diesel hatch's today have much more powerful engines. For example the Ford Figo comes with a 1.5 litre, 4 cyclinder, 100bhp/220Nm powerful mill.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 7th February 2022 at 13:44.
Old 20th February 2022, 14:25   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks,
Does anybody know what is the water wading capacity of the Bolero? I could not find any mention of it in the manual , nor I could find anything concrete in the forum as well. Not that I will go water wading with it, I wanted to know, just in case if I come across a situation where there is no other option.

Thanks in advance!
Most of the vehicle water wadding capacity depends on where are the breather located for any particular vehicle. Check your rear differential, gearbox and engine breathers. Recommended you can relocate these if required as per vehicle usage. But ensure before throwing your vehicle directly into water, your electric wiring and fuses are water resistance or use silicon grease on the electric connections to make them water resistance.
vivekdewanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 14:57   #87
BHPian

I have been a user of the new Bolero 2020 as well. The overall experience is quite good, as stock vehicles come to real old school and bare metal.

I made many changes in the vehicle & will be sharing those in upcoming posts. From 220 Volts AC to adding 5 off 12 V sockets, second-row foldable, rear 6 feet bed conversion. AT 29 inches tires, rear MLD kit. I will change it to 4WD with solid front axles and leaf springs.

As of now, there are a few issues like vehicle stall on low RPM climbing a hill. Have to rev the engine first, then release the clutch to climb that particularly inclined hill. I already spoke to M&M about this. They replaced the clutch assembly, but the issue is still the same. Not sure if it's with all the Bolero Bs6 or just mine.

Rattle sound from doors and dashboard is there, and I tried the sound deadener and damping sheets on all doors, roof, floor, and dashboard. It made a lot of difference in terms of cabin noise, but the rattle sound from the dashboard is still present.

Moving to gas Suspension had made the ride quality great on asphalt and amazing while offroad.

Posting recent pictures for the same with a trip of 2700KMs in Shimla.

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220124_131927.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220110_074203.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220205_102112_bokeh.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220204_130437.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220110_074358.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220205_100500.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220110_081547.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220205_101707.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220110_074004.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220205_100544.jpg

Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220205_081652.jpg

Mod Note - There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. Please proofread before submitting.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th February 2022 at 20:05.
vivekdewanta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 15:52   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I completed 10k kms in approx 5 months now. I have been using my Bolero, for mainly highway drives between my native and BLR and also for getaways to western ghats.Wanted to add some some observations here after covering more than 10k kms and first service. I have already mentioned my likes and dislikes earlier in this thread, will try to add some new observations.
Lovely pictures of the Bolero, especially amidst the wilderness. That distinctive shape of the Bolero is just enough to make someone wanting it. I wish they had the Rocky beige color. If I had one, I would tear away the decals and be the King of the road

I was looking for a second car. Bolero is in the top of my list. If I choose Bolero, it would be my first time owning a Diesel vehicle. Quick one, with in city, is it possible to drive in stop go traffic in 3rd gear without having to change it. I have heard that there's enough lower end torque.
Tygerman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 13:22   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
Quick one, with in city, is it possible to drive in stop go traffic in 3rd gear without having to change it. I have heard that there's enough lower end torque.
3rd gear is a stretch. It can take those speed breakers with some momentum. But I wouldn't recommend. 2nd gear is definitely doable even with 6 people on board. For those crawling traffic, shift the gear to first and leave the clutch. You can modulate the break alone, such is the low end torque.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 18:12   #90
BHPian

Update : completed 23000 kms on my Bolero now. Got my 3rd service done in my native.

Regular service which includes oil change , DEF refill etc. Cost me 4000/- Rs. Not bad at all considering the usage and 10k km/1 year intervals. Got some scratches on the bonnet and door done by some miscreants intentionally. Will get it painted after few more scratches.

Touchwood, has been an awesome companion so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero update coming up later in 2019-img_20220320_122023.jpg  

Last edited by vj_torqueaddict : 21st May 2022 at 18:16.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks