Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2019, 01:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: March 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Any insight on AT sales?

I am about to book one by this month end and it's a see-saw between Jazz CVT and Elite i20 CVT. While former trumps every other hatch in space+smooth CVT with paddle shifters, the latter is feature rich plus sells 10 times more

Am unable to get an idea on how's the market acceptance of elite i20 CVT variant. Looking at the dismal numbers of Jazz makes me a bit skeptical about spending 10+ L (on road Bangalore) on the product which might as well be stopped in near future due to lack of market acceptance. Does it make sense to buy the Jazz CVT in 2019?
Old 10th April 2019, 01:09   #47
BHPian

Surprised to see the numbers of the new Civic. It’ll be interesting to see if Honda can maintain similar numbers in the coming months.

The Harrier seems to be gaining popularity. another masterstroke by Tata after Tiago and Nexon???
The Nissan Kicks on the other hand is going the Renault Captur way with pretty low sales.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th April 2019 at 04:40. Reason: Post edited to remove extra dots. Please avoid posting with excessive dots. Please refer the posting guidelines for info.
Old 10th April 2019, 07:15   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I am about to book one by this month end and it's a see-saw between Jazz CVT and Elite i20 CVT. While former trumps every other hatch in space+smooth CVT with paddle shifters, the latter is feature rich plus sells 10 times more
During the launch of the 1.2 CVT at the 2018 auto expo, the representative from Hyundai said that they expect CVT sales to be 10-15% of overall sales compared to 2% of total sales when they offered the 1.4 L TC auto box. Don't have hard numbers to support this statement.

I was in the same dilemma recently and ended up buying a JAZZ CVT as it seemed to be the most VFM option. Jazz shares it's engine with Amaze (sells well) and CVT with City (sells well) so spares for the key components shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. Also the CVT in Jazz drives better than the one in Elite i20 in my opinion.

Last edited by ampere : 10th April 2019 at 07:23. Reason: compacted quoted post
TarunSC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 15:40   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

PV exports decline in FY19, for the 2nd consecutive row,

Quote:
Only three of the top 10 exporters could manage a growth even as the gap between the number one passenger vehicle exporter and the number two has shrunk to mere 696 units in the financial 2019
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 5614
Size:  25.1 KB

Quote:
Verna and Creta are the most exported car for company. HMIL exported a total of 40279 units of Verna in FY19 seeing rise of 172 per cent, when compared to 14,769 units in FY18. But on the contrary, Creta saw a decline of 26.5 per cent in exports at 37,308 units in FY19
Link
Old 10th April 2019, 15:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I feel some part of the C2 segment sedan volume is being taken away by the CSUV and some by the Compact sedan.
I will not be surprised if the major portion of sales in the C2 sedan space is from their Petrol models, the diesels are similar to the CSUV/CS.
We already have thread on this - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...rna-et-al.html (The diminishing value of C2 sedans (City, Ciaz, Verna et al))

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARAN.CARGURU View Post
Nissan Kicks sales as follows:

January 1370 (Launched 21st january 2019)
February 609
March 701
Never seen such a disastrous response after a new product launch in the automobile industry with any OEM.
Don't look further than the alliance's similar launch - Renault Captur. Below are the monthly sales figures of Captur from launch in Nov 2017 till Dec 2018. Now, tell me which one is worser - Captur or Kicks.

March 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-renault_captur_sales.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
Duster numbers give an interesting insight I think. An age-old (only facelifted) model can sell almost 900 units even after 7 years of launch. I know this is not a large number, but still, with the slew of SUVs and CSUVs in the market, people are choosing this car. Is this because of a definite fan-base Duster has or it points out a certain gap in the market that no other vehicle can fulfil?
You will be amazed to know that the Duster used to sell more than 5K units consistently (with a high of 6313 units during March 2013), while it was the King of the segment, when it was launched in July 2012, until the Creta got launched, in June 2015. So, obviously it will have its own loyal fanbase who are responsible for those 900 odd units every units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutlander View Post
6. MSIL - The only thing you could probably talk about them is how dominant were they in the month gone by. Wonder if Suzuki sells (or even dream of selling) these many cars anywhere in the world?
Never. Almost 60% of Suzuki's world sales comes from India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviK View Post
Probably the same reason, why Maruti never launched a Mahindra jeep competitor in 90s or why no one is bothered to launch a Bolero challenger (despite it clocking 7-8k numbers/month) ? Its quite difficult to understand this phenomenon where auto companies are competing for 3 - 4k numbers (C2 sedans) but certain segments are left completely untouched :
Only M&M and Tata are the OEMs who had good diesel engines earlier to build the ladder on frame SUVs. Bolero has decimated Sumo to become the No. 1 in the segment. On the part of Maruti not launching Bolero challenger, well they don't have a good diesel engine even in 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Imagine Hyundai coming up with a great looking 7 seater ?
Well, they had one in the pipeline which was put on hold to focus on the Compact SUV, which is about to hit the market - Hyundai Venue.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3940741 (Hyundai MPV coming in 2016)
Old 10th April 2019, 16:51   #51
BHPian

Looking at the sales numbers i feel the spending power of common masses has increased and people are willing to spend a few more to buy B1 and B2 segment cars rather than just entry level cars. May be living standards have increased overall and thanks to the options available with support from banks has changed the mindset of an average buyer.

I also feel the people who think about the likes of Dzire and Amaze are pushing themselves to get a CSUV which fall in almost similar price tags when someone has really not made it a point what exactly to buy. I have seen examples where people went to the showroom to buy a TATA Tiago AMT but came back with TATA Nexon MT though they are poles apart in looks and segments just because the prices were almost overlapping with each other thanks to the aggressive pricing by TATA.

People have started to understand the car market better now and feel its an investment one makes and it should give comfort in return ,so shelling out more makes them feel better and comfortable in the longer run.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2019 at 11:25. Reason: formatted for better readability
Syed Monis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 10:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Only M&M and Tata are the OEMs who had good diesel engines..
Thanks, point taken, however there were probably other factors as well, e.g. Maruti experimented with a diesel power plant in the Zen (IIRC, in early 2000s). They could have done it in Gypsy, and it might have seen some success (dieselized Gypsies were quite popular in rural areas till a few years back).
Old 11th April 2019, 18:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Segment wise:

=================

Source: Auto Punditz/ET +Reports
Any reason all the segments were not covered/analyzed? The most promising B segment with Elite i20 and Baleno has been given a miss altogether.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2019 at 11:24. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 12th April 2019, 09:10   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Any insight on AT sales?

I am about to book one by this month end and it's a see-saw between Jazz CVT and Elite i20 CVT. While former trumps every other hatch in space+smooth CVT with paddle shifters, the latter is feature rich plus sells 10 times more ...
As an owner of the Jazz CVT, I will say the answer to your question is yes, yes and yes. The Jazz is a supremely practical and sensible car. It is built well, provides tons of space and is very reliable. Mileage wise you will definitely see better figures with the Jazz than the i20, just head over to the i20 thread and see the dismal figures owners are quoting. I doubt Honda will pull the plug on the Jazz, with their current configuration of models, the Jazz has a clear niche for itself in the Honda lineup.

The real reason the Jazz doesnt sell well enough is Honda's reluctance to put too many features on it, lest it cannibalize other Honda products including its big cash cow, the Honda City. A Honda Jazz with the 1.5 litre engine (that the WRV and City share) and the CVT (that the Jazz and City share) along with 6 airbags is all the car that I (and I would say, many more buyers) really need.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2019 at 11:25. Reason: trimmed quoted post
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 18:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

March 2019 vehicle registration data shows marginal growth

The Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA) has released vehicle registration data for the month of March 2019. Following a slump in February, last month's figures show marginal growth.

March 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada.jpg

In the 2-wheeler segment, 13,24,823 units were sold in March 2019, which is a growth of 10% compared to the previous month. Personal vehicle sales also grew by 5% from 2,31,512 units in February 2019 to 2,42,705 units in March 2019.

3-wheeler sales rose by 3% compared to February 2019. A total of 53,229 units were sold in March compared to 51,463 a month before. The commercial vehicle segment also saw a slight growth of 2%.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 20:53   #56
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
March 2019 vehicle registration data shows marginal growth
In this, some of them would be driven by financial year end sales.
Companies buy cars, to reduce profit margins shown by them.
Old 22nd April 2019, 14:42   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Least selling car-makers of FY-19 - Majority are Global players.

Ford India and Renault are the best sellers which had a market share 3 and 2.36 per cent in FY19.
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1843
Size:  25.3 KB

[url="https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/passenger-vehicle/cars/least-selling-carmakers-of-fy19-8-of-9-are-foreign-brands/68987483"]Link/URL]

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd April 2019 at 14:43.
Old 22nd April 2019, 14:55   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakash1412 View Post
Surprised to see the numbers of the new Civic. It’ll be interesting to see if Honda can maintain similar numbers in the coming months.

The Harrier seems to be gaining popularity. another masterstroke by Tata after Tiago and Nexon???
The Nissan Kicks on the other hand is going the Renault Captur way with pretty low sales.
Civic is going to generate decent numbers even though it is 20L plus car. It's a stunner from Honda with a strong brand recall.

TaMo has hit the right chord with Harrier. It is launching smart looking vehicles now in growing market segments! It has made a mark with Tiago and Nexon lately, with Harrier Automatic in works and Altroz coming by year end, it's a good looking year for TaMo.

Nissan has good models. Nissan Sunny is a success worldwide but sales crashed in Indian market. Terrano is also a beast. Captur is far too expensive. Kicks took a good start and has good feature list but with competition it seems to be sinking.

Last edited by reach_gm : 22nd April 2019 at 15:07.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks