Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2019, 18:48   #106
BANNED

re: On educational qualifications & the driving licence

No comment!

Government to remove minimum education requirement for transport vehicle drivers
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/69842412.cms
Old 19th June 2019, 11:18   #107
BHPian

Govt to remove minimum educational qualification requirement for Driving Licence

The new government seems to taking a "Russian roulette" kind of mentality to solve problems with this present decision.

I wonder if this will be the way the government plans to address issues going forward.

Instead of making the present system more stringent and learning intensive, the move to dilute standards is a massive mistake.

Link to news article
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69842591.cms

Last edited by AlphaLamb : 19th June 2019 at 11:22. Reason: Edited link to news article and subject line
AlphaLamb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 11:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt to remove minimum educational qualification requirement for Driving Licence

The ability to drive is already removed from the requirements of getting a license. In fact to save time, a post dated license should be given stapled with the birth certificate, to save future hassles.

Now these illiterate drivers who can't even sign will soon be within their legal right to drive around and mow over any other vehicle. Next step should be to remove all sign posts and replace it by images from children's books. Rather than showing direction to Mumbai which is unfair to these illiterate drivers, there should be 'Gateway of India' on the signage.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th June 2019 at 12:13. Reason: as requested
ani_meher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 11:37   #109
BHPian

Re: Govt to remove minimum educational qualification requirement for Driving Licence

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2019 at 09:37.
AlphaLamb is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th June 2019, 13:13   #110
BANNED

Politics apart. I do not agree with this decision. A basic ability to read and write (and understand?) should be a necessity. In Today's India asking for basic education is not too much.
Old 19th June 2019, 14:13   #111
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the sentiment on this thread is exactly contrary to that on a related thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...literates.html

My view: It is important to know how to read while driving.
There are important messages / places marked in WRITING (not symbols) on the road.
Old 19th June 2019, 14:25   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of the posts here are against removing minimum educational qualifications to get a DL. But how many "educated" DL holders actually drive sanely ? How many of us have sworn at moronic driving of others ? People who are working in IT, or other white-collar professions - how many bad drivers are there amongst this group ?

Having said that, it is pretty difficult to set standards on this aspect, considering the numbers we have, and the disparity in education across the spectrum.
Old 19th June 2019, 15:00   #113
BHPian

Quote:

"However, while removing the requirement of a minimum educational qualification, the Ministry has strongly emphasised upon training and skill testing of drivers so that road safety is not compromised in any way," the statement said.

Anyone applying for a driving license will have to mandatorily pass a stringent skill test, it said, adding the ministry has emphasised that training imparted by a school or establishment as mentioned in the the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 should ensure that the driver can read signs and perform logistical duty such as maintenance of driver logs, inspection of trucks and trailers, submission of pre-trip and post-trip records, determination of discrepancies in paperwork, effective communication to report safety hazards.

Moreover schools and establishments which are providing vocational training and skilling facilities are subject to regulatory control by the states. Hence, the training imparted should be of high quality, covering all aspects of driving a particular type of motor vehicle.

These three paragraphs are significant from the TOI link.

While the minimum education requirement goes away, emphasis will still be laid on training and skill testing. The rationale is - it doesnt matter if the driver understands the importance of seat belts (for example). As long as he knows he has to wear it properly while driving, it is ok. Or for that matter the importance of signaling and waiting your turn.

Funnily enough. this reminds me of that dialogue from the movie 3 idiots about being well trained vs well educated. Whats the point of being well educated if you are poorly trained.

So I guess as long as the driver is responsibly trained by an educated tutor who knows and understands his importance in this massive cog, I dont think I am against it. But this means that more focus has to be made on the quality of the tutors and/or the driving school and some sort of a system has to be developed to differentiate the good schools from the bad schools.
VaidhiR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 15:54   #114
BHPian

Can I exceed speed limits, as I cannot read the speedometer and the max speed sign?
Old 19th June 2019, 16:03   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post

So I guess as long as the driver is responsibly trained by an educated tutor who knows and understands his importance in this massive cog, I dont think I am against it. But this means that more focus has to be made on the quality of the tutors and/or the driving school and some sort of a system has to be developed to differentiate the good schools from the bad schools.
Now this is where the whole problem is in the first place, the low level of training and awareness is amply highlighted on the numerous threads we have about bad drivers and accidents (not all of the accidents are on account of this but a majority do have a lack of adequate training and awareness as one of the reasons) and this is something you encounter day in and day out through out all corners of our country.

When our existing systems for training and licencing are not adequate, how does the government (or for that matter anyone in their right sense) believe that these systems will take up the additional challenge of training people who do not have basic reading and writing skills.
Old 19th June 2019, 16:17   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirumalkumaran View Post
Can I exceed speed limits, as I cannot read the speedometer and the max speed sign?
The eligibility criteria of education is removed , if you are blind you will still not get the license.
Old 19th June 2019, 16:24   #117
Senior - BHPian

Gents, we are forgetting one major aspect.

Quote:
At present, under Rule 8 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, a transport vehicle driver needs to have passed class 8.
A private car owner can still be illiterate and get a license. We are taking about the transport category here. I think this is only fair as since there are no education requirements for private licenses, same should be replicated across transport section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLamb View Post
Instead of making the present system more stringent and learning intensive, the move to dilute standards is a massive mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Now these illiterate drivers who can't even sign will soon be within their legal right to drive around and mow over any other vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Politics apart. I do not agree with this decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
My view: It is important to know how to read while driving.
There are important messages / places marked in WRITING (not symbols) on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Some of the posts here are against removing minimum educational qualifications to get a DL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
he rationale is - it doesnt matter if the driver understands the importance of seat belts (for example). As long as he knows he has to wear it properly while driving, it is ok. Or for that matter the importance of signaling and waiting your turn.
Old 19th June 2019, 16:32   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Gents, we are forgetting one major aspect.

A private car owner can still be illiterate and get a license. We are taking about the transport category here. I think this is only fair as since there are no education requirements for private licenses, same should be replicated across transport section.
What will be the proportion of illiterate private car owners as against transport category drivers? Looking at their driving skills, many small car drivers appear to be illiterate and ignorant to their core, but academically I am sure many of them can read and write.

I would say transport driver have a higher amount of responsibility than private ones. And such equality is effectively dragging everyone down. If they would have added literacy criteria for ALL licenses, that would be better than removing it for all.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 17:25   #119
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2019 at 09:38.
kannan666 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th June 2019, 17:46   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile on another thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...literates.html

Guess there is no pleasing everyone huh

Jokes aside, I think there needs to be uniform regulations on driving licenses Pan-India.
In the U.S.A: There is a stringent testing of driving skills (including parking within the lines, abiding by the signs & rules), written test (cannot do that if you are illiterate right?), and they even check your vision to make sure you are not a hazard to other road-users.

I really believe we should implement a few of these systems in India as well. Trick will be to battle the long queue from this increased time consuming procedure, as well as battling corruption.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks