Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2007, 12:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

What an anti-climax!

140 nm of peak torque and only 70 BHP even with VGT.
What purpose would studying the torque curve serve? Remember 140 NM is the peak torque, so figures at other RPMs would obviously be lower.
At nearly six lacs, the cars are costlier than Swift VDi by about a lac. OK, Verna and Fiesta cost much more but look at their quality levels.
What's happened to Tata's tall claims about value-for-money?
With over 50 years of experience in manufacturing diesel engines, Tata made us wait for all these years for contemporary diesel technology. What they've finally given us is overpriced, second grade stuff.

As a Tata fan, I'm disappointed!
Old 9th February 2007, 13:45   #17
Team-BHP Support

This engine delivers power better, so you have a sub 15 second 0-100 dash(15.5 second for XL) as compared to the 17-18sec earlier.
The reason for 70bhp is not the engine, it does 90bhp with ease, the problem is with gearbox.
The entire Indica platform was designed to take the torque from the 53bhp IDI engine. So if you put so much power it will mess up things.
Ideally they should have improved the gearbox etc., and given a 90bhp sedan, but then what will they do when they launch Indigo V3-V4 whatever after 6 months.
Old 9th February 2007, 15:35   #18
BHPian

the DICOR would be eventually seen in Indigo LS as well. Its just that right now they would sell the already in stock engines in LS while give DICOR in LX.

When the engine stock is over, you would see LS with DICOR. till then guys we will have to wait....

Indigo DICOR can definitely produce much more power. But then it will be at a compromise with fuel efficiency.

70PS i guess they think is the balanced thing.

Swift definitely gives 75PS but then Indigo has VGT so it wud all depend on whether you wanna buy a small or a big car......
Old 9th February 2007, 22:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nevertheless, India gets its first CRDi engine(that too with VGT) for around 6.5L.
thats enough to cheer about..
Old 9th February 2007, 23:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am beginning to suspect whether Tata have another engine in their line-up, cos sometime back some automag guy had a difficulty chasing a Tata test Mule in their Fusion. With this power figure, I do not think it was this engine that was driving that car.
Old 10th February 2007, 04:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Nevertheless, India gets its first CRDi engine(that too with VGT) for around 6.5L.
thats enough to cheer about..
In my opinion this is nothing to cheer about. 70ps with VGT is pretty low for a 1.4L engine. If Maruti introduces the new Baleno with the 1.6 DDiS engine around this price point, all these vehicles are going to lose big time.

However, Tata is likely reduce the prices by about Rs.50k some time soon as they did with the Safari DICOR once the old Turbo stocks are cleared.
Old 10th February 2007, 10:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
If Maruti introduces the new Baleno with the 1.6 DDiS engine around this price point
It will surely be more priced and placed with honda city. Expect it above 7 lakhs.
Old 10th February 2007, 11:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Guys whats your opinion, Should Tata focus on bringing out a new car or bring out a million variants of the same car, i.e. should Tata stretch brand Indigo so much?
Old 10th February 2007, 14:07   #24
nbr
BHPian

Definately YES !

TATA should bring in newer versions of the INDIGO ,because the INDIGO is a perfect car for Indians, thanks to its suspension, space, fe , and PRICE.
Old 11th February 2007, 00:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
It will surely be more priced and placed with honda city. Expect it above 7 lakhs.
Make that 9 please, as the new Baleno Petrol will cost around 8Lacs itself.
Old 11th February 2007, 00:46   #26
Team-BHP Support

I don't think so Busa. Maruti knows how much to stretch themselves and where to draw the line. Baleno, with whatever engine that be, will never sell at a price point so high. Maruti has already seen that. Even the new Baleno DDiS will be priced to compete with the Ford Fiesta, IMO.

As for the 9L and above price points are concerned Maruti acknowledges that they can't sell at that point... but they want to. So they are developing another platform from scratch to target the rich and upwardly mobile... a car that they dream to debut in the Toyota, Honda league. Whether that will succeed is something remains to be seen though.
Old 13th February 2007, 20:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Any test-drives of the dicor indigo.
Old 13th February 2007, 21:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Dunno why TATA does a half hearted job everytime, restricting the power output because the gearbox cannot handle it is a lame excuse IMHO. I think its just an attempt to fend of immediate competition from Swift.
Old 13th February 2007, 23:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Make that 9 please, as the new Baleno Petrol will cost around 8Lacs itself.
I dont hope so, if Maruti prices it anywhere even close to NHC, their sales will suffer.
Old 14th February 2007, 01:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

I just hope the New Baleno is not priced more then the AVEO, would love to get my hand on the torquenstein 1.9 DDIS version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks