Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 20:45   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Hyundai MPV to rival Marazzo & Ertiga

Seeing the booming MPV Market, Hyundai revives its plans.

Hyundai working on Marazzo, Ertiga rival: Hyundai’s MPV launch expected in 2021.

Quote:
seeing the growing trend for six and seven-seat MPVs in India, Hyundai will introduce an all-new MPV. In order to manage costs and to meet the requirements of the segment, the vehicle is expected to be based on the platform which underpins the new Hyundai Venue.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th August 2019 at 20:46.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 21:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai MPV coming in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Seeing the booming MPV Market, Hyundai revives its plans.

Hyundai working on Marazzo, Ertiga rival: Hyundai’s MPV launch expected in 2021.

Link
Hyundai missed out big time on this opportunity here. They had all the technology and engine options at their disposal for that perfect Ertiga rival which could be sold not just in India but also in other south eastern countries (like Indonesia for example which loves MPV). Looking at the current Ertiga sales, Hyundai could have easily managed 3-4K units per month and eaten half of Maruti share.

Interestingly, they do not have any product in this category across the world. !!
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 10:40   #3
BHPian

Re: Hyundai MPV coming in 2016

In today's long list of OEMs in India, Hyundai is the only one who have the capability to dethrone Maruti and who have been check-mating their each move.

Though they are late to this party I am sure when they come, they will come with a bang ( Venue for reference )

Another avenue is the entry segment ( Alto competitor ), if they can nail that as well, I am pretty sure Maruti's days of monopoly in the top Ten can be counted
Old 28th August 2019, 10:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Hyundai MPV to rival Marazzo & Ertiga

Hyundai MPV to rival Marazzo & Ertiga - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 28th August 2019, 11:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I really hope it stays a rumour & Hyundai doesn't enter the segment. Hyundai entering a segment in India has one disastrous outcome - the car prices in the segment find a new "normal" which is really not normal!

Now a days that also means a segment below and segment above also see huge price jumps.

This is one of the few segments where "VFM" still has a meaning & I hope Hyundai doesn't mess it up by entering it!!!
Reinhard is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:24   #6
BHPian

Following Maruti's footstep the car would be based on Grand i10 nios platform as Ertiga is based on Swift's paltform, to make it viable and price it attractively.The width of Grand i10 nios at 1680 mm might pose a problem for seating three in comfort in middle row and long body and narrow width makes the car look awkward like Honda BR-V.
Old 31st August 2019, 08:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger17 View Post
Following Maruti's footstep the car would be based on Grand i10 nios platform as Ertiga is based on Swift's paltform, to make it viable and price it attractively.The width of Grand i10 nios at 1680 mm might pose a problem for seating three in comfort in middle row and long body and narrow width makes the car look awkward like Honda BR-V.
Not that straightforward. Do remember that the new Swift is actually based on the Heartec platform, that underpinned the Baleno originally which is much larger. So inherently its a far larger & versatile platform compared to the small one that underpins the NIOS. Swift, WagonR, Ertiga. All actually enlarged significantly compared to previous generations as part of the platform shift to Heartec. The WagonR infact has 0 resemblance to the previous generation. Its that large!

So if Hyundai wants to insist on using an existing platform - it would have to be that of the elite i20. Not the NIOS, no. I hope it doesn't do it though. If they want to enter the segment, they better do it with a dedicated existing platform that they are using elsewhere rather than some make-do arrangements to just get an MPV out there using whatever is available.

Last edited by Reinhard : 31st August 2019 at 09:01.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 10:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Not that straightforward. Do remember that the new Swift is actually based on the Heartec platform, that underpinned the Baleno originally which is much larger. So inherently its a far larger & versatile platform compared to the small one that underpins the NIOS. Swift, WagonR, Ertiga. All actually enlarged significantly compared to previous generations as part of the platform shift to Heartec. The WagonR infact has 0 resemblance to the previous generation. Its that large!

So if Hyundai wants to insist on using an existing platform - it would have to be that of the elite i20. Not the NIOS, no. I hope it doesn't do it though. If they want to enter the segment, they better do it with a dedicated existing platform that they are using elsewhere rather than some make-do arrangements to just get an MPV out there using whatever is available.

The Grand i10 Nios and the Venue currently share the same platform, if Im not wrong. This is supposedly the one that will be the base for an MPV. I dont think an MPV would be an afterthought, Hyundai must have envisioned this while developing this new platform for sure.

The Elite i20 on the other hand, well I dont know if it currently shares its platform with any car in the Hyundai portfolio. The 2017 Verna was supposedly completely new, I presume the earlier Fluidic Verna and the Elite i20 had something in common with regard to the platform.

Unlike Suzuki, Hyundai platform sharing information hasnt always been very transparent. Like for example, the Creta, its not based on the Verna or the Elite i20. Some information says that it was based on the earlier Elantra. Which I think could be true since the Creta, Tucson and even the present Elantra get manufactured in a different plant.
Old 31st August 2019, 10:15   #9
BHPian

It is a well planned Korean strike on India Auto Market.

The Advantage here is , They have the brand value to move upmarket unlike Maruti & also stay low in the mass market . Now with KIA around , it is a double barrelled cannon ready for the attack.

In the next 2 years , Hyundai & Kia will have competent products in every segment .

The only mass market segment left out till date from them was not bringing an MPV . They will surely & immediately look into fill the low end with the above & KIA will take care of the top end with their Carnival next year
motor spirit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 12:38   #10
BHPian

Heartec platform is a versatile platform but not a sophisticated one, Honda also used the cheaper brio platform for Mobilio rather than Jazz platform whereas expecting Hyundai to use the Elite i20 platform which is shared with expensive cars like Creta would be far fetched as they won't be able to price the car competitively against Ertiga which is gonna be its main competitor.
Old 31st August 2019, 17:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Grand i10 Nios and the Venue currently share the same platform, if Im not wrong. This is supposedly the one that will be the base for an MPV. I dont think an MPV would be an afterthought, Hyundai must have envisioned this while developing this new platform for sure.

The Elite i20 on the other hand, well I dont know if it currently shares its platform with any car in the Hyundai portfolio. The 2017 Verna was supposedly completely new, I presume the earlier Fluidic Verna and the Elite i20 had something in common with regard to the platform.

Unlike Suzuki, Hyundai platform sharing information hasnt always been very transparent. Like for example, the Creta, its not based on the Verna or the Elite i20. Some information says that it was based on the earlier Elantra. Which I think could be true since the Creta, Tucson and even the present Elantra get manufactured in a different plant.

Quote:
Heartec platform is a versatile platform but not a sophisticated one, Honda also used the cheaper brio platform for Mobilio rather than Jazz platform whereas expecting Hyundai to use the Elite i20 platform which is shared with expensive cars like Creta would be far fetched as they won't be able to price the car competitively against Ertiga which is gonna be its main competitor.

Well, no, Creta and the Elite i20 have nothing in common. The most prevalent assumption, but incorrect! Please see my above quote on this. Experts can throw some light in case I was wrong.
Old 31st August 2019, 18:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Well, no, Creta and the Elite i20 have nothing in common. The most prevalent assumption, but incorrect! Please see my above quote on this. Experts can throw some light in case I was wrong.
My bad, according to wikipedia Creta is based on the platform that underpins Hyundai i30 and Elantra but my point is that Elite i20 itself is an expensive premium hatchback with its top diesel costing million bucks. MPV based on this platform would touch nearly 15 lacs making it costlier than Ertiga and thus losing the half the battle before the launch.
Old 31st August 2019, 19:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
but my point is that Elite i20 itself is an expensive premium hatchback with its top diesel costing million bucks. MPV based on this platform would touch nearly 15 lacs making it costlier than Ertiga and thus losing the half the battle before the launch.
How can you make that assumption? Even the swift diesel costs a million bucks and both the swift and ertiga share the same platform. So what is the basis of saying equivalent Hyundai cars will cost more vis-à-vis Suzuki?
Old 31st August 2019, 22:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolheadRup View Post
How can you make that assumption? Even the swift diesel costs a million bucks and both the swift and ertiga share the same platform. So what is the basis of saying equivalent Hyundai cars will cost more vis-à-vis Suzuki?
First of all, Grand i10 nios is an equivalent car to swift, Elite i20 rivals the Baleno. MPV based on i20 would definitely be priced higher than car based on swift platform such as Ertiga. Heck even a car like Mobilio was priced higher than Ertiga when Brio was cheaper than Swift.
Secondly, the new age hyundai car like elite i20, Verna, Creta are priced comparatively higher compared to their rivals Baleno, Ciaz and S- Cross respectively.
So taking all the above facts, the only way Hyundai MPV is priced attractively against Ertiga will be if it is based on Grand i10 platform not Elite i20.
Stranger17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 09:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
the car prices in the segment find a new "normal" which is really not normal
A very valid point, especially when we look at higher segments where price isn't the primary deciding factor.

My assumption though is that Hyundai will, like they did with the Nios and Venue, adopt an aggressive pricing strategy for the people mover. Outer build and cabin quality is still their strength over the market leader. Even if the MPV isn't exciting enough, it will sell for the brand name alone as long as the price isn't far off from the segment norm. Kia will slowly take charge of the cool, special, feel-good factor and produce "perfect" cars for the market, close to what the older Hyundais such as Verna and Creta were.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks