Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2019, 12:42   #1
Team-BHP Support

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:23   #6
BHPian

This looks like the dull month for cars. No car has crossed 15K mark.

The Venue has changed the whole picture for sub-4m vehicles. It has taken a pie from all of them including their own i20.

Nexon is down, so Ecosport entered at 20th place this month. Bring that facelift soon, Tata.

Seltos and Creta - Playing hide and seek. People who want creature comforts and that Bose audio, will get Seltos and those who don't want to take the risk on new entrant, will get Creta. A win-win for the group.
vijayshouree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the August Sales data:

As the auto segment reels into recession the effects of slow down are many and this reflects in the August Sales figures. For nine consecutive months, domestic auto sales continue to fall in August.

The industry sees the worst ever slow-down with Y-O-Y drop monthly drop since 1997-98. The overall passenger vehicle sales dropped by a significant 31.57 per cent last month with 196,524 units sold in total as compared to 287,198 units sold in August 2018.

The way the slump in volumes is extending has put a lot of pressure on the OEMs, Auto Component Makers, Suppliers and Dealerships to rationalize cost and reduce inventories.

Reasons could be many (Demonetization, GST, Upcoming BS-6 Implementation to name the few, EV confusion, etc.), but the reality is the slowdown is likely to stay longer than it seems and will see some positive trend in Q2 2020.

Now dissecting major auto manufactures from the August sales:

Maruti Suzuki : Maruti+Nexa loses the highest market share and the MS dropped by 3.9% to 47.6% in Aug’19. On a brighter side, Maruti Suzuki’s Ertiga does phenomenal volumes and together with its ‘premium’ iteration XL6 garners 10747 in volumes. The brand has 8 cars in the top 10. The major concern are the drop in Brezza numbers.
Future: Can S- Presso, XL6 and the new variant stall its negative growth in the coming months?

Hyundai: Maruti’s loss was Hyundai’s gain and Hyundai registered a Market Share of 19.5%! Venue comes to the brand’s rescue. Creta finds its match in Kia Seltos, and manages to dethrone it from the top 10 best sellers. Grand i10 sees a drop in numbers, but too early to predict the impact of NIOS in this segment.

Mahindra: In August, Mahindra’s sales drops drastically. XUV and Marazzo sales drop drastically. XUV5OO drops to 5th Position with Kia and MG’s products doing well.

Toyota: manages to secure the 4t position in the overall sales in August, though its trusted cars like Innova and Fortuner drops its numbers. The badge engineering proves a big success with Glanza and Toyota manages to sell more than the anticipated 2k numbers.

Honda: Has its downfall in the making. With no new products revealed yet, its Amaze is the best seller from the group. Once a best seller even the City loses to Hyundai’s Verna and Maruti’s Ciaz.

Tata: Once envisaged to take the nr. 3 spot, Tata now is in the 6th Position. KIA and MG Motors have now relegated Harrier to a low of 635 units and drops to the 8th position. HEXA at 136 and most products doing numbers with a negative growth of ~ 60%.

Segment Best Sellers:

Here is where S -Presso is likely to contribute,

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-5.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-6.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-7.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-8.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-9.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-10.jpg

See the Ertiga+XL6 dominance

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-11.jpg

August 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-12.jpg

Source: Various sales data+ Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th September 2019 at 13:51.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:33   #8
BHPian

It is gratifying to see the grossly overpriced XUV300 finally fall. It is the same feeling that I felt when Compass and Yaris failed. If only all the overpriced cars faced the same fate...!

I have a feeling that Seltos will not expand the segment. It will only take share away from Creta. Creta was selling in the 12000's. So, the number for Seltos and Creta together will be 12000. I hope Seltos fails so that Kia learns a lesson. But, it will succeed. People who found Creta value for money will definitely find Seltos value for money.
ashlil is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:47   #9
BHPian

Interesting to note that the Glanza is the second most selling car from the Toyota stable after the Crysta!

Also, is this the first time the 3 major C2 sedans have had pretty much the same numbers? City, Ciaz and the Verna at 1590-odd.

Last edited by nikipedia87 : 9th September 2019 at 13:48. Reason: Typo
Old 9th September 2019, 13:55   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the thread!

My Observation as below

1. Alto once upon a time was doing 24,000 monthly sales and is now down to 10k which is a massive drop.
2. Maruti is already ready with a new launch in the same segment which may help revive sales.
3. The drop in brezza is a reality check for the company which has only launched a product not even worthy of a launch. It doesn't have petrol, there are no automatic variants and it is far from a smart car. Venue is enjoying its time. We know that Maruti is preparing to launch the petrol variant soon but I am afraid it won't be enough to take on the Venue.
4. The executive sedan segment always intrigues me in the sense that there is such close competition. This also means that all 3 products cater to different customers and have almost equal demand. It is a unique segment.
5. Hector needs an automatic and needs it soon. Such a fantastic product doing just 600 per month is just poor product handling.
6. MG and Seltos are enjoying good sales because they have a USP going in for them. The market needs smart connectivity, automatics and loves the SUV and hence it is a no surprise they are doing well. I'm sure in this day and age we won't have much reliability issues.
7. Nexa dealers would be happy to have XL6 in their showrooms with dwindling sales of Ciaz, S-cross and ignis.
8. VW Vento does 283 while Rapid does some 790ish. Nothing to comment here, they really need the next-gen products.
9. I think Hyundai is making the right moves with the Launch of Kia, Venue and updated Elantra. Maruti should take note.
Old 9th September 2019, 13:58   #11
BHPian

Looks like a massacre overall. The B2 segment is pretty crowded but other than the Maruti and the Grand i10, rest are all here for the crumbs.

Just a suggestion on C2 - it's possibly one of the key interest areas for many BHPians. Can we please segment it into C2 (Cars) ans C2 (Utility vehicles)? Maybe that will give a better picture both from representation as well as analysis POV.

Figure the Venue is eating into the Creta's share but overall, it seems like people are cross-shopping with the Brezza as well. Surprised to see the Fortuner numbers go down.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:13   #12
BHPian

The Venue and Seltos are truly gamechangers, they have successfully dethroned the previous top sellers. Although Venue beating the Brezza is not as surprising as Seltos beating the Creta! I really didn't expect this as Seltos is from a brand which is unknown to Indians.

The Ertiga is doing really well and I think it deserves it as it's a great overall package at a reasonable price.
Old 9th September 2019, 14:26   #13
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for this report. I was eagerly waiting for this month.

From the numbers it seems BS VI models are doing well.
These numbers are also an indicator for industry to start looking at customers in a different light. When BS IV was implemented, reach of information was much limited compared to today. Buyers have become more informed and they want better value for their money.

For this slowdown to reverse, automobile sector should work on factors they have control on. BS VI vehicles, better quality of fit and finish, more robust product, honest services etc. the list is long. Consumers do take a favorable stance about companies that improve those areas when sales are down.
Old 9th September 2019, 14:37   #14
BHPian

Not a single OEM is positive, the worst figures ever reported since the conception of our forum. Some analysts say, the worst is yet to come and I am extremely worried about the livelihood of hundreds of thousands employed by this industry.

Amidst blood bath, the Ertiga has a waiting period of 6 months

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 9th September 2019 at 14:39.
Thermodynamics is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Seltos and MG wont have a sustained run in my view. Once the demand from metros is met, the product has limited reach and recall (hence demand) in the semi-urban to rural areas.

Also, I saw MG Hector in person, the car felt very MUVish. The Hexa will be a much better product at that price range.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks