Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 16:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano v2.0: What to add, retain and change if price isn't a consideration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhu_Bengaluru View Post
As i understood from the other thread about Jayem Neo, this was just being developed/tested. It was never sold.
The project could have been scrapped now for various reasons but a sizeable numbers were produced and sold to OLA in Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
In my recent visit to Tata service center I have seen the Tigor EV and Neo(Nano EV) parked side by side and diagnosis being done as part of service.
Which service center was this?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano v2.0: What to add, retain and change if price isn't a consideration?-screenshot_201909171639102.png  

Tata Nano v2.0: What to add, retain and change if price isn't a consideration?-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180616120925_jayemneoev_autocar1x.jpg  

Tata Nano v2.0: What to add, retain and change if price isn't a consideration?-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180616120925_jayemneoev_autocar2x.jpg  

damodar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 16:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano v2.0: What to add, retain and change if price isn't a consideration?

I would wish for the following:

Better clutch with a properly discernible biting point.

Better 2nd and 3rd gear ratios where when one shifts from 2nd to 3rd there is a flow rather than having the engine rev high and then start lugging.

Disc brakes.

13 inch wheels.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 17:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Which service center was this?

This was at Tejasvi motors Madhapur location.

The Neo was not OLA branded, it looked like regular white nano with taxi plate.
The "J" logo has been replaced with "Neo" in oval shape design, The vehicle looked relatively new.
BeingHuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 17:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
This was at Tejasvi motors Madhapur location.
The Neo was not OLA branded, it looked like regular white nano with taxi plate.
The "J" logo has been replaced with "Neo" in oval shape design, The vehicle looked relatively new.
I would love to drive one of these. The footprint of this vehicle is perfect for our congested cities like Bangalore and an electric power train will be the icing on the cake.
Old 17th September 2019, 19:15   #20
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I think most points have been covered below.
My List :
What to Add :
First of all : QUALITY CONTROL
Secondly : QUALITY CONTROL
Thirdly : QUALITY CONTROL

If "Tata" can sort this out (on all their vehicles) half their problems would be solved.
To Continue :
1. The A.C. for some may be a "chiller" (For me it's OK. I would not call it a "chiller" except after sunset) and on really hot days, it takes an age to cool the car. This may be due to poor roof insulation, thin window glass or some other reason. Also when on a slight climb when the engine has to be "raced" a bit, the A.C cuts out. Very annoying.
2. Rear windscreen washer/wiper and defogger.
3. Gear ratios need to be changed.
4. Reduce Service Costs.
Their service charges are ridiculous for a small car. Most TASS garages are rip off merchants. No standard pricing. The SA picks a code he thinks is applicable to the particular job and you are charged accordingly. One has to question every item on the bill. They cannot be trusted. When I give the car for a service or other repair work, I am stressed out till I get the car back. I do not have this feeling with Maruti or Toyota.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think the thought behind the Nano was flawed. You can't convert all two-wheeler riders to Nano drivers. My carpenter or electrician isn't going to upgrade from his bike to a Nano. He's going to use his partner tata Ace or a friendly auto-rickshaw to transport his bulky goods. I don't see him making an investment in a Nano to take his kids out. If he can afford a car, he will buy a used Alto/WagonR/Santro. And the Nano is too unconventional for many first time buyers, especially ones not familiar with cars.

What Tata can do is drop the name and re-engineer the platform to make an extremely city-friendly electric car with a bargain basement entry price. With the e-Kwid claiming a 270 km range, I think there is immense potential for small EVs. They are the class of cars which will bring the EV revolution to India. This might even appeal to a lot of people.

People will want to own a small EV for regular use and own/rent a larger SUV/sedan for outstation trips etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Try to make it a "premium top-quality small car" for 5 lakhs. I think there is a market for the same, just like the 1st-gen i20 was a segment above.
Kills the purpose of the Nano. They have a Tiago.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:29   #22
BHPian

Being practical, what will work in Nano's favor is not a rebranding exercise but a conversion kit to EV. Period. This will sort out any issues with the noise insulation, power on tap which are the main 2 gripes as far as the Nano is concerned. The tiny tyres do a remarkable job in potholes and uneven roads and I say this is perfect. Agree to the point mentioned earlier wrt changing the position of the fuel inlet, with the EV, Im certain that can solved too. If Tata has the right mind, what India needs now are small cars going the EV way. No rebranding will ever wash the Nano name, so why even invest in a depreciating brand name. If you look at the segment buying a Nano, its essentially a 2nd car in the family. The bike to Nano transitioning folks will buy it 2nd hand and thats the fact. This is a great car, Im a proud owner of the XTA 2015 Nov model and love this to bits. Just got the 40k service done at 11.8k :(, cant help it since my workplace is 10km return. For short distance, the amazing turning radius, comfort is outstanding. Let Nano stick to its current prices albeit with an EV motor and TMIL's fortune is going to change, trust me on that.
Old 18th September 2019, 12:09   #23
BHPian

i think what really should be done with Nano is to give it an upmarket feel with a smart , chic and trendy design theme both inside and out. Support it with cute colors just like the smart car and then it can really take off. It could be a great hit with women drivers. Then the price of the car won't be bothered much by the consumers. Case in point - BMW Mini !!Tata Nano v2.0: What to add, retain and change if price isn't a consideration?-81ljfysrakl._uy560_.jpg

Tata Nano v2.0: What to add, retain and change if price isn't a consideration?-smartfortwopassioncabriolet.jpg
bmw_lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

There is huge competition in micro ev Hatches at the moment and Tata Nano with its historic baggage will be bust from beginning.

To sell, Nano V2 will need.

1. Powerful EV tech with a good range.
2. Ditch the Nano name tag and Economy segment
3. Tuned by Jayem Auto like a Mazda mx-5.

A small, nimble, simple and affordable fun to drive car selling at a slightly higher margin in 2 or 4 seater configurations. A segment that was never born in India.

Why it will sell?

1. Lack of newer fun to drive cars.
2. Small space but full of performance. Makes ample sense on the city streets but still capable on the highwys.
3. Price will be within budget.
4. Lack of competition.

Rest remains on the actual execution of the image and product.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 18th September 2019 at 12:30.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:36   #25
BHPian

I was a diehard Nano skeptic. When it hit Indian roads, I thought of it as nothing more than an autorickshaw with 4 wheels. Until one long weekend in Delhi with nothing better to do, I rented a Nano Twist XT from Myles.

I had the most fun-filled time driving the little car. I must have crisscrossed Delhi, just for the heck of it, half a dozen times during those 3 days. Let me add it was November so I drove without the AC & I had all the power the little engine could deliver at my disposal.

One unforgettable incident happened while passing IITD. I overtook a guy in a BMW. It was a major affront to him & he gave chase. Much like the movie "Italian Job" the Nano twisted through traffic and left the BMW well behind.

But I only rented, never owned a Nano. What would make me own a Nano? Well here's the list.

- Wider & Bigger Tyres for stability
- Better suspension
- Bigger engine
- Comfortable seats
- EV option with a long driving range
- 2 seater variant like Renault Twizy (a lot of 2 wheeler owners will upgrade)

It will help Nano overcome the stigma of a "Cheap" car & position it as a fun, convenient & affordable city car.
laser2707 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
I loved the design of the nano, if only Tata didn't build it to a cost and made it in good quality and matched the refinement with that if the alto and priced it at par with it it would have sold well.

The only way the nano is coming back would be electric. And that would be quite a package. What happened to the pixel concept that Tata showcased a few years back?

I think people will appreciate the design a few years down the line. I won't be surprised if it becomes coveted like the beetle, citroen c2v or the mini.
Bingo! Pixel is the best foot forward. And the nano was such a loss. Incredible engineering. Brilliant concept, only failed to materialize because by the time it came we had become a striver economy, with enough disposable income / access to credit and the "Cheapest car" brand just didn't work anymore.
Annibaddh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 14:23   #27
BHPian

TATA should definitely consider a smaller segment car in the ALPHA Platform.
Shouldn't be a NANO brand. TATA is best known for its build quality (We have seen Nexon/Tiago build tough. So, A Solid 800 CC car (Suvish design/Tallboy design ) with Airbag/ABS/AC/Power steering standard in the price range would be a direct competitor to Alto 800. The price range of Tiago starts at 4.4 Lakhs now and anything below Tiago in the price range of 1.9 Lakhs to 2.9 Lakhs for an 800CC car should be a good move.
Old 18th September 2019, 14:32   #28
BHPian

Actually like mentioned earlier they wanted to sell the car to two wheeler public, but the people who bought the Nano already had other cars in their garage. I too had the Nano and whoever experienced it just bought it. Perfect car for town and city routes and I had many long trips with it, just lacked the top whack. There are around 7-8 Nanos in my friend circle.

By the way, replaced it with Tiago JTP
2himanshu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:08   #29
BHPian

The Nano is a great platform upon which Tata could produce further models specifically city cars. What they need to do is, create an FMEA and/or SWOT analysis, integrate a lessons learnt table, and create a timeline and portfolio to start producing India's response to Kei cars.

1. As mentioned earlier, dump the Nano name. Period. Create an entirely new upper body without any resemblance to the current BIW. People have been associating the car with the words cheap, fire, unreliable, unsafe for too long.

2. Tata developed the 1.2l Reventon engine after realising that the earlier 1.4l was too heavy and simply downsizing the 483 DLTC of the Tata Sumo was never the solution. Tata must develop a new engine of atleast 750-900cc and 50-65bhp to make it a proper city car. Optional turbo petrol if necessary.

3. Electrification support. Enough said.

4. Tires are too skinny and too small.

5. Airbags and ESP standard.

6. Quality inside. Just because its a city car doesnt mean the interiors must be cheap. Tata must ensure this.

7. If the price starts at 3l, so be it. No longer must the public perceive the car to be a poor man's car. It will still remain an alternative to the other city cars from Maruti and Hyundai.

Last edited by VaidhiR : 18th September 2019 at 15:09.
VaidhiR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

I would just say a more powerful engine and better production quality so the car lasts beyond 5 years without rust spots, and I would have bought it again.

Most Viewed