Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think Tata Motors needs to change their logo?
Yes 266 56.96%
No 201 43.04%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 14:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?

If i am not wrong, they have already changed the logo little bit by Making it 3D. and i think it looks much better and confident than the previous 2D logo. Even the VW is making very very small changes in the loo over the years without changing the actual shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-frontgrilllogo98.jpg  

Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-tatazicamoreimages_03.jpg  

tushky is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 15:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
If i am not wrong, they have already changed the logo little bit by Making it 3D. and i think it looks much better and confident than the previous 2D logo.
Yes, they made it a bit 3D and indeed it is better than the flat one. I was wondering how the logo would look without that oval ring around 'T'. Might be a tad bit similar with the Telsa logo but still I think it would look good enough without that ring.
SpideyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 15:44   #33
BHPian

It been 5 days since the poll started and i have been checking out every Tata car that I have come across just to see whether it compliments their current design language. Its only on Tiago and Tigor that logo looks goods on. Looks out of place on Nexon, Hexa and Harrier. This is my opinion.

Voted Yes on poll. But I'd say its less about whether they need to, and more about they Should. They are spending so much money on changing design language and cars have been baked to perfection and are mouthwatering. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a new logo is going to be fraction of cost they are spending.

And while they are at it, they need to overhaul there showrooms. If not atleast launch something like Nexa showrooms. Their current designs and cars deserve better than what they getting.

Now, some might say this is pointless. When Nexon was launched, I'd shown the car parked in a mall to my wife and friends. They liked the car until i told them that its a Tata. First of all, they wouldn't believe that it could be a Tata. And secondly, they all said they would never consider buying a Tata car. This was same when Harrier was launched.

What I'm trying to point out is that they need to change people's perspective and changing logo would be right step towards achieving it.

Or what they can do is launch a front grill with Tata written in bold as accessory, like there is for Ford.
Old 25th September 2019, 16:26   #34
BHPian

I think the the branding T can be beautified like the slanted L in a Lexus or the rounded text in a BMW. That design looks appealing to many even in sub conscious mind at least in India where the picture of a Tata made car still recons a soiled white Indica with bumper hanging and the silencer assembly swinging side ways like a pendulum. Color combinations can be black, silver, copper, golden as applicable. It's a TATA problem which only TATA has to deal with and learn from Maruti NEXA
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 17:34   #35
BHPian

I don't think Tata Motors should change their logo. To be honest it hardly matters what the logo looks like. It is not going to make any impact on sales or the brand perception. Their logo is not the reason for their woes. There are multiple other things that they do need to change which have been explained by others in detail in this thread.
Old 25th September 2019, 18:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Voted - NO.

I say the logo makes no difference to me. It is not even considered while shortlisting cars. I don't think anyone notices the Logo.

With regards to the reasons mentioned in favor of name change, nothing against them, but tell me, if tomorrow, some Vijay Mallya were to change his name to, say Satyawadi Raja Harishchandra, would that make any difference? Difference can only come when he clears all his liabilities.

Same way, Tata is trying really hard, and I would say doing a very good job at it, to bring improvements to the trust in its brand name. I hope that they succeed eventually, the sooner the better.

Ta Da

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 25th September 2019 at 18:44.
Old 25th September 2019, 19:03   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Logos that do not look that good to me in no particular order.
1. BMW
2. Toyota
3. Honda
4. Hyundai
5. KIA
6. Suzuki
7. Mahindra
8. Tata

Ones that look nice.
1. Jaguar
2. Landrover
3. Mercedes
4. Ford
5. VW
6. Chevrolet
7. Skoda

I do not think people buy vehicles looking at a logo, Tata is definitely not in the bottom of the sales chart. Some of the good logo folks are.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 19:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes. I don't like it and even number of my friends don't like it. Tata is trying to remove their 'taxi' tag and changing the logo might help to some extent.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 19:24   #39
BHPian

If a logo can sell their cars then do it. If their inherent products are not up to the mark (like the flagship Harrier), no amount of logo change will help. Voted "NO".
Old 25th September 2019, 21:05   #40
BHPian

I voted No. Also, it would have been good to see a third option "Logo does not matter".
As several others have already pointed out, the order of things should be

Product >> Service >> Sales >> Marketing/Branding...

When was the last time anybody bought a CAR for the LOGO?
Old 26th September 2019, 13:07   #41
BHPian

Perception plays huge role in buying process, so if a logo can change negative perceptions about the Tata brand they should change the logo. So, voted Yes.

According to some researchers, round logos are associated with softness while angular or pointed logos are associated with toughness, like few members have already suggested Tata should go with an angular or pointed logo for their MUVs/SUVs.

Having siad that, the current logo, according to Google, depicts Trust and also symbolises the Tata Group with an Umbrella. Logos have to tell the story of the brand, so they have to be careful in chosing a new one, there are many examples of logo changes that negatively impacted the brands.
Old 26th September 2019, 13:52   #42
BHPian

IMHO, logo is the least of Tata's problems. Even though they have got their act together in terms of product design, it is evident that there is still lot of inconsistencies in product management side. What else would explain a half baked product (Harrier) after fairly sorted out 4 products (Hexa, Tiago, Tigor and Nexon)?
Old 26th September 2019, 17:55   #43
BHPian

I am just bored of seeing car after car from Tata with that smily grill and logo.

Their car designs have certainly improved over time, they just need to let go of that grill and logo and get something modern
Old 1st April 2020, 20:20   #44
BHPian

YES please, they need a total makeover in their attitude. The logo needs to be styled to reflect a modern and young TATA. It looks so staid now. Plus like somebody mentioned they need to get better people at the top.
famousshoes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 20:26   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
YES please, they need a total makeover in their attitude. The logo needs to be styled to reflect a modern and young TATA. It looks so staid now. Plus like somebody mentioned they need to get better people at the top.
And just changing a logo will change attitude how? We have to remember the 3D logo is a modern one that still pays tribute to the century old grand business group. 2 roads merging together to make a T respected world over. A logo change for an organization as big as this one entails a huge amount of money investment. I'd rather they invest it in real R&D and make products that leave logo insignificant. In today's trying times with billions of revenue figures lost - I think a logo revamp would be even beyond last in the to-do list for any firm.

Since HorizoNext initiated by Late Karl Slym, I think there have been very few bad decisions from the firm & overall development & product strategy has been one of the better in the lot overall. Product quality is improving with every new launch & dealership consolidation is already in progress.

So I don't see why leadership change is an urgent item under Herr Butschek & what is it that the new leadership should do different.

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st April 2020 at 20:27.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks