Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 15:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Cars being easily stolen shortly after Authorised Service Centre visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
It's amazing and frightening at the same time the ease with which the unorganized sector finds ways around new technology.
It's not true actually. If you want to make something foolproof, you absolutely can. I have worked with encryption technology for a long time, and I can assure you that if you want to make a system that is very difficult to break, you can always design it that way.

Do note that almost any kind of encryption security can be broken, it's considered to be more secure if it takes more time to break it. For example, if it took the thief more than 6 months to break into a car or make a duplicate key, obviously he won't even try and hence it will be considered a good secure system.

When designing security systems, the thin line between security and ease of use of the system, can make the system more vulnerable to thefts. The ability to provide a duplicate key by the manufacturer within a day,(via service center) is the ease of use that the manufacturer wants to provide to a customer who has lost a key, also makes the security system vulnerable because a mechanic working at the same service station will be able to get a duplicate key, if he decides to go rogue.
frewper is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The only real blockers to theft indeed would be theft-slow-down devices like gear locks & external steering locking devices.
Are gear locks available for cars with AT or AMT ?

My current MT car has a gear lock, but my next car would definitely be AT or AMT.

Rohan
Old 17th October 2019, 15:58   #33
BHPian

My small experience with a key maker:

Year: 2012
Place: Hyderabad
Issue: I needed a duplicate key for my First gen alto.
What I did: Visited few shops specialized in making automotive keys. The rate quoted were INR 100-200 for Maruti Car keys without immobilizer code and INR 1000 for keys with a 'immobilizer' code. . When I asked the key maker how he is able to copy the code, he assured me that 'Sab gaadi ka miljayega' (All car keys can be made out including the code). I was shocked.

Again in 2014, I visited the same place for Figo key. He quoted INR 3000 and said that the key will be ready in 15 mins. I wasn't shocked this time but sad.

Unfortunately, no technology can assure 100% deterrence as it is a mere cat and mouse chase.
G V Krishna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 16:13   #34
BHPian

If they create a duplicate/cloned key, it will erase the "code" that's stored in the lock and the original/your key will also have to be reprogrammed (code has to be the same). This will result in your other key (2nd key at home) to stop working as it will still have the old "code". Easy test to verify if your key has been cloned at the ASC.

Furthermore, IMHO it should not be easy enough for these petty thieves to extract the original "code" from your key and write it to a new key. The "code" always gets reset when creating a new key and as a result all the keys have to be updated with the new code. Takes a few minutes to do with a small key programmer device.

Last edited by iron.head : 17th October 2019 at 16:16.
iron.head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 16:20   #35
BANNED

Buy an Alto; or better yet, a KUV100. No one’s going to steal that.

P.S.

No offence meant to any Alto or KUV owners. This is my personal opinion; one which I am totally entitled to. Also, for what it’s worth, we own an Alto. It runs and runs and runs and no one as much as looks at it, let alone steal it. Gotta love that.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 16:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Buy an Alto; or better yet, a KUV100. No one’s going to steal that.
Unfortunately, my ex-Manager's Alto was stolen from Thane few years back. The police were pretty sure that the car was probably stripped by then to extract its engine and other parts and sold in grey market, so no point in searching the 'car' as such . Alto engines are used to build boat engines, the smaller ones prefer Hero Honda Splendors' which make them high in demand for thieves.

I don't give my car keys to anyone, even if that means washing the car from inside by washing guy, I do that myself or take it to a local washing center where its done under my observation. I don't give the car for any pick-up or drop service, nor do I disclose my exact address to anyone who is concerned with my car or anything for that matter. I understand that its not possible for all but just my two cents
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 17:30   #37
BHPian

It is not at all difficult to clone keys and create duplicate copies. There are many reputed aftermarket centres in Bangalore which create duplicate keys for a fraction of the OEM cost. I'll give you an incident in the recent past.

My previous gen Swift Vxi 2012's spare key had been damaged after a disastrous fall, breaking the key fob and damaging the internal magnet system.
To get a spare, I had to go to MASS and write a letter to Maruti India to issue a pair of fresh keys, with new and changed codes. I was also asked to surrender the old keys and state a reason to what had happened to them and why a new set was required!
The guys at MASS said that this was in the interest of the customer to ensure that the keys weren't misused for any theft purpose.
The new set of keys took 25 working days to get delivered and had to bear costs of INR 6,500/- plus GST!
To top it up, I sold the car in a month to exchange it for a new ZXi+ Auto and what worries me more is the keyless entry system!!

A friend however got his Dzire's spare key cloned for 2k at a nearby FNG and made his peace with it. No explanation, no high costs incurred, but definitely at the cost of questionable safety.
Old 17th October 2019, 19:29   #38
BHPian

What is a gear lock or steering lock? Can I have this for my AT cars?
Old 17th October 2019, 20:01   #39
BHPian

My office colleague's Hyundai Creta was stolen from outside his house.
I was baffled to how a car equipped with immobilizer could be started and driven away by thieves?
And the answer I got was "Bhai, choro ke paas sab intezaam hota hain!" meaning thieves have all the mechanisms setup.
After reading this thread I got the explanation for the immobilizer related doubt.
So, the only way to prevent theft is to have SIM based connected systems which are of hidden type (not the openly advertised ones like Hector and Venue) and pay for the subscription service in addition to other car expenses.
Seems like old fashioned brick and mortar garage with a gate (which is in scarcity these days) is the most secure option while a car is parked in night.

Last edited by PraNeel : 17th October 2019 at 20:03.
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 20:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Are gear locks available for cars with AT or AMT ?

My current MT car has a gear lock, but my next car would definitely be AT or AMT.

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
What is a gear lock or steering lock? Can I have this for my AT cars?

This should work for both automatics and manuals. It locks the steering.
https://www.amazon.in/UDee-Universal...%2C357&sr=8-13
Old 17th October 2019, 20:14   #41
BHPian

Hard to see this. I never leave my car even to vale parking guy. Even for our regular service, I will procure the required stuffs and sit next to the local mechanics throughout the service. The level of satisfaction is priceless. Coming to this situation, I feel like, Whatever puzzle the auto makers use to keep the cars safe, there is always more than one way to overcome that. Let it be a gear lock or steering lock etc, thieves will find a way to break that. This have happened with cars from Alto to Volvo,Jaguars.

If we have Covered car parking with in our home, the possibility of looting a car is less. If it’s parked in road side openly, these kinds is thief’s can’t be avoided.
ash22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 22:56   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
Year: 2012
Issue: I needed a duplicate key for my First gen alto.

Again in 2014, I visited the same place for Figo key.
In a lighter vein, you probably need to be more careful with your car keys!
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 07:05   #43
BHPian

Our cars insurance papers have our address right ? I mean, even if we don't opt for pickup drop facility for regular service, if anyone at the service center wants to make duplicate keys can still do it and can still know where we stay. Does it mean we are always at this risk?
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 12:02   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Does it mean we are always at this risk?
Of course we are. And that's not just for cars even. Home service staff / food delivery / online shopping delivery personnel, gas meter reading executives - All visit us, have a look at items & many times also get an idea of when the home is locked & when it isn't.

Thats why I mentioned earlier, we are so exposed to multiple people in today's life, security is better implemented as "containment" rather than "preventive". There are always work arounds. If someone makes up mind to rob something away - there will always be a way.
Old 18th October 2019, 12:38   #45
BHPian

Probably to do away with these fancy thieves and their fancy machines, SIM based ECU controller could be an option. Just like we get an OTP for every transaction we want to do, on our mobiles, we could get an OTP on our phones every-time we start our cars and only after after our confirmation the car engine fires up. To make matters simple, we could even have an application provided to us through the manufacturers at the time of purchase of cars. Once we crank the keys, we receive an alert on our mobiles asking if we are starting our cars. Only after we give our confirmation, the engine would crank up. I know that there are members who would fret over the convenience part. Then there should be option of registering 3-4 mobile numbers of our family members/friends who we know would be using our cars.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks