Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 18:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars being easily stolen shortly after Authorised Service Centre visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Probably to do away with these fancy thieves and their fancy machines, SIM based ECU controller could be an option. Just like we get an OTP for every transaction we want to do, on our mobiles, we could get an OTP on our phones every-time we start our cars and only after after our confirmation the car engine fires up. To make matters simple, we could even have an application provided to us through the manufacturers at the time of purchase of cars. Once we crank the keys, we receive an alert on our mobiles asking if we are starting our cars. Only after we give our confirmation, the engine would crank up. I know that there are members who would fret over the convenience part. Then there should be option of registering 3-4 mobile numbers of our family members/friends who we know would be using our cars.
There are few solutions which are not practical; your suggestion falls in the same domain. What if there is a network failure or say the situation that prevailed in J & K since abrogation of Article 370. Does this mean no car will move / start.
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 19:32   #47
BHPian

Wanted to share one such car theft incident to the members:
Just yesterday, my colleague's car was stolen from his home. It is a Toyota Etios VxD. This car was parked as usual in the ground floor garage. The compound and building is inhabited by 4-5 families and hence the gate is not locked daily at night (locking may not give the expected protection anyways).

Since the place has more than one family as residents, discrete noises raised during night are easily ignored by residents. It seems that the place is located near an open ground and various folks park their cars randomly, including taxi folks and street roamers and sometimes, some street urchins have crossed the compound wall without permission, in the pretext of taking water for drinking from the open tap placed in the compound.

The owner says the car was serviced at one of the Toyota dealers some 5 months back and from same dealer, few months back a new Innova Crysta was bought by a neighbor (who is some few blocks away) and that car was stolen 6 days later. The typical target for stealing is a Toyota since the owner has other car (a Fiat Punto) which was parked outside on the open street but that was not touched at all. The owner has read this thread and does feel there is a remote possibility that some miscreant associated remotely with the dealer could be involved but such a possibility is not strong either.

Police complaint has been filed and insurance has been notified, and RTO has been approached to inform of the car theft but no other good news to share.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th October 2019 at 21:13. Reason: formatting for better readability
Old 18th October 2019, 20:23   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I've seen (CCTV footage) and read about a few Brezza ZDi+ s being stolen, on the Whatsapp group. The access was easy and they literally opened the gates and went away. One car had a gear lock also. There are videos available on YouTube showing how new generation keyless entry cars are made a target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

I think the security we should implement with our cars should be containment security rather than preventive security. For people who need to give cars to pick-up drivers / someone else once in a while and don't have a trustworthy garage to go to, best is to get a hidden GPS tracker installed in the least accessible parts under the car with hidden wiring. This way at least finding the car quicker is possible - before the miscreants find the GPS and remove it.
Hidden GPS trackers are the way to go as of now with immobilizer setting so as to immobilize a vehicle if theft happens. I've a thread to share wherein I was literally involved in one such crime busting.

Theft (White Bolero stolen. And then RECOVERED using GPS Tech!! Screenshots inside)

Last edited by BoneCollector : 18th October 2019 at 20:38.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 19:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
There are few solutions which are not practical; your suggestion falls in the same domain. What if there is a network failure or say the situation that prevailed in J & K since abrogation of Article 370. Does this mean no car will move / start.
This is just a proposed solution. 100 years back, did anyone think about driver-less cars. Or a car which would be driven by CNG. There would be practical challenges which is there to be solved. How many times do we see a network failure happening now-a-days? Even if it happens, its just limited to call dropping. Secondly, to conduct a transaction while doing net banking, don't u use OTP. Probably, this technology would help solve many issues. Attacks like pulwama could have been prevented. Car thefts could be prevented. Any unauthorized use can be restricted.
Old 19th October 2019, 23:13   #50
BHPian

I have been contemplating on the idea that I will try practically and report back.

Instead of wiring a device through car'a battery, as it is more prone to disconnect, we should use a normal mobile phone. [Disadvantage - you have to charge daily]

The mobile will be on DND and connected to network [ Disadvantage - May be there is no network, but most cities should not have issue on say Jio]

Keep the phone in the car at hidden location.

An app like Tasker or ready-made apps like "Car Security Alarm Pro" can be installed to signal movement / call back.

If someone has already tried this approach please tell what are the issues faced.

-Sanju
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 23:54   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
Instead of wiring a device through car'a battery, as it is more prone to disconnect, we should use a normal mobile phone.
I'm having similar thought too, but do you think we can charge it everyday and hide it. During normal time we think these bad things won't happen to us. So we may end up being lazy and forget about it. On the other hand is it safe to leave fully charged phone in a discrete location in the car, knowing fully well that on a hot summer, the temperature will be high and without AC. This thought scare the hell out of me.
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 06:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Just like we get an OTP for every transaction we want to do, on our mobiles, we could get an OTP on our phones every-time we start our cars and only after after our confirmation the car engine fires up.
With OTP for each time, what you're suggesting is a 2-factor authentication. I can think of a more convenient way of implementing this.

Imagine this- the car is fitted with a system inside the cabin that needs the driver's fingerprint/retina be enrolled for the first time he/she uses the car. After enrollment, all registered users of the car can just touch/look at the system to unlock the ECU (mobile phones under Rs.10k can scan fingerprints/retinas these days). For first time enrollment only, the registered mobile receives an OTP for authorisation.

But what happens if the system fails to recognize an already registered user? It can send an OTP after n number of failures to override the system.

Users can be added and deleted for those occassions when you share your car with relatives/friends/mechanics.

This is basically very similar to adding beneficiaries using an OTP for the purpose of doing funds transfer from your bank account. The beneficiaries can be removed whenever you want.

This system must be SIM based but it may as well be on 2G and not require a data connection. All it has to do is send and receive SMSes. Let's say it sends a random 6-digit code as an OTP through SMS and expects an SMS from the registered mobile number with the same code within 5 minutes, before it times out. No question of a data connection. We know 2G network coverage is much larger than say 4G.

Just a thought.
Old 20th October 2019, 06:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Probably to do away with these fancy thieves and their fancy machines, SIM based ECU controller could be an option. Just like we get an OTP for every transaction we want to do, on our mobiles, we could get an OTP on our phones every-time we start our cars and only after after our confirmation the car engine fires up. To make matters simple, we could even have an application provided to us through the manufacturers at the time of purchase of cars. Once we crank the keys, we receive an alert on our mobiles asking if we are starting our cars. Only after we give our confirmation, the engine would crank up. I know that there are members who would fret over the convenience part. Then there should be option of registering 3-4 mobile numbers of our family members/friends who we know would be using our cars.
This system won't work. If my phone battery is dead, it means I can't start the car! I won't be able to start my car in case someone steals my phone or I have dropped it somewhere. Imagine losing your phone and then not even being able to start your car!
fazayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 21:47   #54
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
It's amazing and frightening at the same time the ease with which the unorganized sector finds ways around new technology.
Part of the problem could also be the fact that we consumers give them access to learn and find jugaads with these new tech in our car. Manufacturers implement technology which can only be done in certain way. For example, the immobilizer. But since its expensive to get a new one from the service center itself, we go to these unorganized sectors. We are happy when its to solve our problem but sad when it turns and bites our backs.
RMN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 19:29   #55
BHPian

Though i have security key in my vehicle i also have a switch to short CAN circuit, i have kept it as concealed as possible (and quickly accessible from driver seat) and will apply grease on the switch and take photo when giving to service, The grease will confirm if the switch has been touched and photo will clarify if its in the same way i had applied. i did notice the grease was disturbed in one of the service and i changed the location of the switch. so far so good. any time when i park the vehicle other than home or office i flip the switch. The idea came from my father, back in the days we owned a Contessa, Remote locks were not famous back then,. so 4 switches were placed right below each door lock knobs and routed to horn relay ground and was controlled by glow plug timer. All controlled by a master switch, once the master switch is turned on and vehicle is locked its armed, and if the door is opened the horn would blow for about 10 seconds even of the door is closed immediately. When we open with the key we quickly need to turn off the master switch to disable the horn. And it did come for use once in Palani temple parking.
Living2Drive is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks