Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is the safest hatchback?
Palio 122 49.80%
U-VA 3 1.22%
Santro 3 1.22%
Getz 12 4.90%
800 3 1.22%
Alto 1 0.41%
Estilo 0 0%
Wagon R 0 0%
Swift 85 34.69%
Indica 16 6.53%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 14:29   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Aren't these standard features on all the cars? I know, Palio surely has it, but I guess all other cars would have these features too.
AFAIK, even Santro and Wagon-R claim to have these, besides having a collapsible engine sub-frame.
Old 20th February 2007, 16:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

OK. So the Swift leads the race with the Palio nipping at its heels. Knowing the number of Swift/Palio lovers on the forum, this was not surprising at all. However, what was surprising was the fact that the Indica is at the bottom of the heap. So, it ain't just about bulk and more metal.

In the absence of proper rating done based on crash tests, this poll just reflects the gut feel of the participants (including me) who voted. Just because a car lasts for years or as someone mentioned looks like it will last for years, rating it safer in a crash is kind of juvenile. Crash safety goes much more deeper than the amount of metal used and involves crumple zones, crash bars, ABS, airbags and lot more.
Old 21st February 2007, 05:42   #48
BANNED

Although I don't own both the Palio/Swift, I've voted for the Palio because of it's very crisp handling and also it's built like a tank. It is really a close fight b/w Swift & Palio.

When it comes to goodies, Swift ZXi takes a bigger pie because of ABS + EBD & Airbags which is non-existent on Palios.

But I would never(ever) buy a Fiat car.
The reasons best known to every Team-BHP-ians !!!
Old 21st February 2007, 12:14   #49
BHPian

I have voted for GETZ but i think, getz, swift and palio...all three can be called as safe cars.
Old 21st February 2007, 20:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

As per my knowledge TATA and Maruti never crash test their cars because they don't give priority to safety. "Economy first safety last" slogan suits well with them!

However I do agree Swift is first car Maruit has come up with better design and safety features! But still its not enough.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 21st February 2007, 20:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
As per my knowledge TATA and Maruti never crash test their cars because they don't give priority to safety. "Economy first safety last" slogan suits well with them!
Wrong! Very few folks know that, Tata Motors has in-house crash testing facility, which they actually use for crash testing their prototype cars.
Old 21st February 2007, 20:22   #52
Team-BHP Support

Swift ZXi with Airbags, ABS+ EBD... Is THE safest hatch in India...

However, Palio comes a very close second, IMO...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st February 2007 at 20:27.
Old 21st February 2007, 20:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However I do agree Swift is first car Maruit has come up with better design and safety features! But still its not enough.

Regards,

Ravi.
Maruti doesnt make any cars on its own. These are either new or discontinued Suzuki models that we buy in India. Since these models are designed for Europe, they do have to pass the Euro safety tests, in which Swift fairs pretty well. Of course all manufacturers including Suzuki strip certain key safety features while shipping their models to India as in India cars sell on fuel economy, resale value, brand value, A.S.S rather than safety. A perfect example is Honda City, where people paying 9 lakhs on the road for Vtec dont get ABS or Airbags, but get beige interior which is high on agenda in Indian mentality. Honda City is a class leader in its segment but doesnt even have the safety features listed as optional.
Old 21st February 2007, 20:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,

Ravi.
Tata make crahs test of their cars. i have seen crash tests of Indica and Safari On BBC WORLD long time ago.
Old 21st February 2007, 20:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

For the sheer feel.... it has to be the Palio. Even the Aveo, accent and the honda city dont provide the same feel.
Going by the sheer level of equipments it has to be Swift ZXi, but since not many buy the ZXi hence in Indian context the passive safety features are very important and that is where Palio socres over every other hatchback.
Old 21st February 2007, 22:04   #56

As far as I know, Tata Motors has India's only crash test lab !

There are many aspects to safety, in addition to structural safety, I think even driver visibility should be added to the list. I'm sure everyone can think up of more.

Unlike the european imports, Indica has been designed for the Indian market, greater visibility, thicker gauge of steel(no references) and is one of the safest cars on the road. Sit in one and you'll realize the higher seats, larger glass area. With Tata Motors' goal to sell Indica abroad, they have always been crash testing their vehicles to check compliance with EURO.

Palio is one of the best cars on Indian roads, but the A pillar's quite thick, the glass area is a lot smaller. It's a great car to drive around on the highway, but in a crowded place, I'd take the Indica any day.
Old 21st February 2007, 22:08   #57
Senior - BHPian

re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Two cars missing from the list are the Chevrolet SRV and the Ford fusion[isn't it in the hatchback category too].From its looks I feel the SRV to be quite a solid hatch[however looks can be deceptive,and I have no experience with the car].
these cars are missing from the list because it will be unfair to compare these two with the rest. First of all, both of them are based on sedans (not the vice versa as in the case of U-VA, Palio). Second, they are priced way too high, and are a niche product in their respective segments. Doesn't make sense to compare them with the rest of the hatchbacks.
Old 21st February 2007, 22:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Suppose someone uses car with low safety rating only for city run abouts and his avarage travelling speed is not more than 40 kmph, whats wrong with it ?
Suppose you are traveling at a speed of 35kph and a Scorpio bangs your car's rear. Then the car you are sitting in will matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Aaaha so you say Alto is tin can yet you opted for it instead of used Indica, right?
i said that will soon change, i am planning to buy a new car soon.
Old 21st February 2007, 22:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
In the absence of proper rating done based on crash tests, this poll just reflects the gut feel of the participants. Crash safety goes much more deeper than the amount of metal used and involves crumple zones, crash bars, ABS, airbags and lot more.
right said bro....but now that the ones who should moderate are sleeping. car companies will do nothing unless someone makes them to. In this month's BSM the maruti guy clearly says that its not his job to educate people. obviously their job is to sell a product and mint the maximum money out of it. Its the government's job to educate people and to make the companies sell a safe product...which obviously they are not doing.

now that nobody is there to certify them...what else can one do. i am coming back to the same line which i wrote at the start of the thread.
In our country..we are the most informed drivers of all. we know more about safety, technology, design than any other simple indian who knows nothing more than a clutch, brake and accelerator. If nobody is doing anything...atleast we can do something for ourselves...buy a car that we think is safer than the rest.
Old 21st February 2007, 23:29   #60
BHPian

safest hatchback.... well Of course it’s the fiat palio
Closed Thread

Most Viewed