Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is the safest hatchback?
Palio 122 49.80%
U-VA 3 1.22%
Santro 3 1.22%
Getz 12 4.90%
800 3 1.22%
Alto 1 0.41%
Estilo 0 0%
Wagon R 0 0%
Swift 85 34.69%
Indica 16 6.53%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2007, 00:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

Most of the posts are rooting for Palio but Swift still leads the poll.
Comparing both cars with identical safety features I voted for Swift as it's a newer design and safety would be as good or better than the Palio.
Old 22nd February 2007, 08:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
First of all, both of them are based on sedans (not the vice versa as in the case of U-VA, Palio).
Which sedans are they based on ?

Quote:
Second, they are priced way too high, and are a niche product in their respective segments.
But both 800 & Swift are in the same list ??
Old 22nd February 2007, 09:29   #63
BHPian

i would stand for the Indica in comparison to the Palio as my vote indicates.

on our way back from nasik just after the kasara ghat our indica toppled at around 60km/h after hitting a boulder trying to avoid a oncoming tempo

we were shaken no doubt but not injured ,the car was scratched but no major structural damage.

i have seen the palio after a similar accident but the top had peeled of like they show in ice cream ad's
Old 22nd February 2007, 09:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Which sedans are they based on?
The SRV is based on the Optra and the Fusion is based on the Fiesta.

Quote:
But both 800 & Swift are in the same list ??
800 is not that cheap my friend...an AC version will cost you around 2.4 lakhs onroad. for that money you can get a good deal on some really good cars.
Old 22nd February 2007, 09:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
800 is not that cheap my friend...an AC version will cost you around 2.4 lakhs onroad. for that money you can get a good deal on some really good cars.
M800 = 2.4
M800 + 3L = Swift
Swift + 3L = SRV !!

My point is safety comes at a price. M800 cannot match the safety of Swift because they is huge price difference between the two.
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

When you ask "which is the safest hatchback in India" do you mean active safety or passive safety. A car like the Palio can be called passive safe as it is designed that way from the ground up. This has more to do with design and engineering rather than what gizmos a mfr stuffs into their top variant. I would buy a better handling car that wouldnt land me in a ditch, rather than one that handles poorly, lands in a ditch and then opens up airbags on me. In that sense, I don't consider swift to be that safe at all. The palio and the getz get my vote for well designed cars that have safety built-in to the design.

I really dont get how you guys (the ones that voted for the swift) can vote a car with inherent safety flaws like poor visibility as the safest car in India.

Last edited by gunbir : 22nd February 2007 at 10:08.
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:50   #67
BHPian

Palio. And palio it is.

toppled at around 60km/h after hitting a boulder trying to avoid a oncoming tempo

we were shaken no doubt but not injured ,the car was scratched but no major structural damage.

i have seen the palio after a similar accident but the top had peeled of like they show in ice cream ad's

That's because, palios, don't tcrawl at 60's. Try toppling the indica at 90 or 100 ks and then you will know which part of you will resemble an ice cream scoop.
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re:

Quote:
M800 = 2.4
M800 + 3L = Swift
Swift + 3L = SRV !!
My point is safety comes at a price. M800 cannot match the safety of Swift because they is huge price difference between the two.
like i said earlier.....a second hand indica is better than 800.
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I would buy a better handling car that wouldnt land me in a ditch, rather than one that handles poorly, lands in a ditch and then opens up airbags on me.

I really dont get how you guys (the ones that voted for the swift) can vote a car with inherent safety flaws like poor visibility as the safest car in India.
Gunbir, It's like you read my mind and put my thoughts into words, better than I would've.
As far as the safety "feel" of a car goes, Palio (and the Palio family cars) is(are) just plain unbeatable.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:03   #70
BHPian

Palio's build quality is the best. Swift on the other hand lacks in build. I feel if you dashed Palio you may be safe due to its build quality. Also palio's road grip is much better than swift. I have driven both the car but I feel safe in Palio
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Palio and have driven both Getz and Swift. As for the visibility, all the three have very thick A Pillars and all of them carry huge blind spots. Well, Swift actually provides bigger mirrors and that is a huge benifit. Palio is a very safe car but Getz and Swift should be on par since they are more modern and do meet Euro regulations.
I have voted for Palio though.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

It is the Palio. Even though Swift Zxi comes with Air bags, I don't think it is a safre car that Palio, 3 reasons:
1) Seat belt is the no. 1 life saver. Airbags comes next.
2) Palio's rock solid build quality can't be compared with any other hatch, and Swift is having thinner guage steel.
3) Presence of ABS does not add any great safety while driving in Indian roads. ABS is good only for heavier cars. I personally had a bad experince with Swift's ABS. The car skidded badly while breaking on a curve.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I would buy a better handling car that wouldnt land me in a ditch, rather than one that handles poorly, lands in a ditch and then opens up airbags on me. In that sense, I don't consider swift to be that safe at all.

I am surprised. If handling is the prime factor for you, Swift should be on the top. It probably is the best handler among the lot. Definitely better than Getz and as good as Palio if not better.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:41   #74
Senior - BHPian

Lots of Palio votes from new members it seems ...

Gunbir,

It might be that the Palio has better handling and scores over the Swift in terms of overall glass area. However, ABS and Airbags are an option which rules in its favor. That being said, if the Palio comes with those it would be top choice no doubt.

To always_dui,

Mate that is a scary nickname. BTW, I have seen Palios in awful conditions but from which the occupants exited from without a scratch. Between the Indica and the Palio, the latter gives more confidence. To me atleast.

To RX,

We seem to be the lone Fiat lover-critics. LOL

Last edited by typeOnegative : 22nd February 2007 at 13:44.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:46   #75
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I am surprised. If handling is the prime factor for you, Swift should be on the top. It probably is the best handler among the lot. Definitely better than Getz and as good as Palio if not better.
Never sir. I have driven both on the same roads and I can vouch for the Palio. Moreover, Swift's steering is vague and tends to oversteer at high speeds.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks