Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2007, 10:00   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
. had heard and seen pics of a 118 ne many years ago which slammed sideways into a lamp post on worli seaface and split into two.
I remember of an incident where some underage drivers crashed an Ikon into a lamp post on Worli Seaface and split into two.
Old 24th February 2007, 10:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I remember of an incident where some underage drivers crashed an Ikon into a lamp post on Worli Seaface and split into two.
Yes the Golden Ford Ikon which split into two....Pics are posted here in some thread..
Old 24th February 2007, 10:53   #33
Team-BHP Support

I feel all trucks should be banned from entering city limits during day times. Their timings should be restricted from 2200 hrs to 0500 hrs. Taxi's should be reduced in numbers but that is too much of an asking. All commercial vehicles should pass a health exam once in 3 years atleast and those which do no comply to certain standards should be given an extension to make themselves fit or be taken off the road. Then and only then we can ensure that only the fit survive.

Edit: Just realized that I went a bit off topic here but this is indeed a step towards having unsafe vehicles off the road.
Old 24th February 2007, 14:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

the premier padmini taxis...bad brakes..treadless tires..knocked up chasses' and no safety norms...and bad drivers!@!!
Old 24th February 2007, 16:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
the premier padmini taxis...bad brakes..treadless tires..knocked up chasses' and no safety norms...and bad drivers!@!!
Not to forget, NO side view mirrors!!!
Old 17th January 2009, 11:14   #36
manukale

That way all vehicles are unsafe. Refer Diana'saccident

Many people curse Maruti Omni. I don't know why?! I have it since last 11 years & performing more than expected. I think its up to your precautions & driving skills too (am I praising myself too much?) .

Please refer to the accident of Diana & Dodi. In spite they were in one of the best cars, they died. Was the car unsafe? Why can't they be rescued alive then?

Same is the case with Maharashtra ex-minister Dr. Shrikant Jichkar, who died on the spot on Amravati - Nagpur highway. His driver was at fault who rammed the car (of course from wrong side) into a bus while overtaking another vehicle.

In early days of launching (early 90s) Tempo Trax, Tata Sumo, even the Tata/Ashok Leyland's luxury buses met with accidents. The reason cited was the power vs. braking OR the driving judgment. With the same vehicles, now the accidents are lesser & the focus (of accidents) is shifted to other new vehicles.

SO its the driving and NOT the vehicles that are unsafe. Mods - pls correct me if anything needs to be corrected.

Last edited by manukale : 17th January 2009 at 11:21. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 17th January 2009, 14:32   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manukale View Post
Many people curse Maruti Omni. I don't know why?!
Probably because it was originally designed to be a commercial vehicle, and only took off in the private sector due to the 800's multi-year wait period. Or because it is a 20+ year old design. Or maybe because the only thing protecting you in a front end collision is a wafer-thin sheet of metal.

Quote:
I have it since last 11 years & performing more than expected.
It is reliable, no doubt. Plus, very nimble in the city.

Quote:
Please refer to the accident of Diana & Dodi. In spite they were in one of the best cars, they died. Was the car unsafe? Why can't they be rescued alive then?
Illogical argument. No car is fatal-proof, even a Rolls Royce can kill its occupants in a high speed crash. The question is : How safe is the car relative to other options? In that sense, the Omni is pretty much at the bottom of the list.

Quote:
SO its the driving and NOT the vehicles that are unsafe.
Of course it is all about the driving. However, the same driver will be safer in an S-Class versus a Maruti Esteem, however his driving style may be. It is all about relativity.
Old 17th January 2009, 14:39   #38
BHPian

I think the new Tata Nano has got to be on this list.
Its so tiny, and there just isn't much material protecting you in any direction.

I think people should drive it like an auto rickshaw, and not a car.

I just fear that there will be a whole bunch of dumb kids trying to pull stunts with a weak car like the nano and end up hurting someone :(
Old 17th January 2009, 14:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

My list goes like this:
1) Two wheelers.
2) Three wheelers.
4) Maruti Omni.
5) Tata Nano ( expected ).
6) Maruti 800.

The cars like Santro/Wagon R/Estilo and others are crash tested cars sold internationally also. The above listed vehicles IMO are the most unsafe vehicles on the road.

Its never ending debate with ratings and all, but eventually what I see is that human life is becoming very cheap in India and the uncertainty of one's life when on Indian roads is increasing. Its India's loss and its the loss of human life that really is what must be attended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Is'nt the driver who makes the situation safe/ unsafe?.
For some its yes and for some its NO. Imagine a two wheeler ( who is not at fault ) rear ended by a car and the two wheeler driver dies. Two wheeler driver was not at fault and it was four wheeler driver who was unsafe, but still the innocent lost life.
Old 17th January 2009, 17:29   #40
BHPian

Guys i havent ever heard mahindra having crash testing their cars and the wobly ride of scorpio is no exception and i think they are the manufacturers of most unsafe vehicles.
Old 17th January 2009, 18:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

It is primarily not the vehicle but the human factor (drivers, traffic cops, and all sorts of unlicenced vehicles) that makes our roads so unsafe.

From 4 wheelers, I would choose not vehicles but specific situations, eg call centre cab driver making a sharp turn, a Scorpio doing the same on a circle and threatening the oncoming vehicle, all Govt. and military vehicles that populate Delhi roads, and of course VVIP movement that brings traffic to a standstill and causes subsequent rush and rash driving.
Old 17th January 2009, 18:21   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
My list goes like this:
1) Two wheelers.
2) Three wheelers.
4) Maruti Omni.
5) Tata Nano ( expected ).
6) Maruti 800.

The cars like Santro/Wagon R/Estilo and others are crash tested cars sold internationally also. The above listed vehicles IMO are the most unsafe vehicles on the road.
The Maruti 800 & the Maruti Omni were also sold in the same countries as the Wagon R/Estillo, so I assume they would have gone through
the same testing, no?

Omni is the same as the old versions of the Bedford Rascal.
And Maruti 800 used to be the first version of the Suzuki Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manukale View Post
SO its the driving and NOT the vehicles that are unsafe. Mods - pls correct me if anything needs to be corrected.
So are you saying all those people involved in crash testing, safety standards etc are doing useless stuff?

Last edited by carboy : 17th January 2009 at 18:25.
Old 17th January 2009, 18:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So are you saying all those people involved in crash testing, safety standards etc are doing useless stuff?
They are doing highly useful stuff to ensure that useless people behind the wheel have a lower chance of maiming or killing themselves or others.
Old 17th January 2009, 18:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
My list goes like this:
1) Two wheelers.

Imagine a two wheeler ( who is not at fault ) rear ended by a car and the two wheeler driver dies. Two wheeler driver was not at fault and it was four wheeler driver who was unsafe, but still the innocent lost life.
For someone who has one, a Zeus (?) - that is an unfortunate comment to make.

By your logic, pedestrians should be top of the list!

Also, a BHPian here lost a member of his family in a very common BHPian car - when it was rammed in the sides while purportedly stuck in traffic by a 407 that braked late etc. Point being let's keep LUCK out of the equation.

A reasonably adept defensive driver on a car or on a bike would have similar mortality rates. Statistical examples only please - and of defensive drivers. India has enough morons on wheels of all types!
Old 17th January 2009, 21:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The Maruti 800 & the Maruti Omni were also sold in the same countries as the Wagon R/Estillo, so I assume they would have gone through
the same testing, no?

Omni is the same as the old versions of the Bedford Rascal.
And Maruti 800 used to be the first version of the Suzuki Alto.
During the days of M800/Omni, the crash testing and the car development was not as advanced as now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
For someone who has one, a Zeus (?) - that is an unfortunate comment to make.

By your logic, pedestrians should be top of the list!

Also, a BHPian here lost a member of his family in a very common BHPian car - when it was rammed in the sides while purportedly stuck in traffic by a 407 that braked late etc. Point being let's keep LUCK out of the equation.

A reasonably adept defensive driver on a car or on a bike would have similar mortality rates. Statistical examples only please - and of defensive drivers. India has enough morons on wheels of all types!
I do ride a Zeus and drive around M800 in city. I have a mixed driving of both.
And I had suffered injury in left knee because of rear ending by a car. I have seen many accidents where rear ending was the reason for death.

Pedestrians dont have to be in the middle of the road always or on the road always. They can walk at side, but this cannot be said for two wheelers. Two wheelers have to sometimes get to the rightmost lane. Also car drivers mostly bully two wheeler riders ( my experience ) and this reduces when on is in car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks