Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2007, 13:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Most Unsafe Vehicles on Indian Roads!

All,

Which vehicle do you think is the most unsafe vehicle on the Indian Roads. In my opinion its the apna Bajaj ka Autorickshaw and then the Bikes (2 wheelers), followed by the buses and Trucks. Have u ever seen any truckie wearing specks? also What is the govt doing abt the safety of the people who travel in these ricks? For Bajaj, its Money saving by providing just the bare bodies and rest all is done at the local shops like the canopy and all. The Door's aren't there. No Head Restraints nor are any seat belts. When the govt. made it compulsary to have seat belts on all passenger and commercial vehicles why not the humble rickshaw?

MODS: I am sorry if this is a repost.
Old 21st February 2007, 13:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

What makes you think the government isn't doing anything about the citizens safety? Nowadays, the government has a rate card for deaths in different ways. Rs. 2 lakhs in a railway accident, Rs. 2 lakhs in riots, Rs. 1 lakh in road accident, Rs. 5 lakhs in bomb blasts and so on. Basically, the government is saying, " Looks citizens, we can't give you a better life or even a safe life. We can't guarantee that you will reach your home in the evening alive. We are throwing big money to your kith and kin after you die due to our negligence and disinterest in improving living conditions. Take the money and dont expect your lives to be any safer".

Welcome to India.

Last edited by amit : 21st February 2007 at 13:45.
amit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2007, 13:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

wow Well said Amit..never thought about it that way..
Old 21st February 2007, 14:04   #4
BHPian

Well what do you know!I was thinking the same lines from quite a bit of time too!! Whenever i see a truck seating position and steering angle,i am always flummoxed on how they balance themselves!On top of it they have loose cushions too!

Modern trucks are different,but majority of it in the present circumstances remain as Amit(Amtak) specifies.AND like Amit(2) says Governement seems too treat it as a(Top secret) misson towards population control!!!

In India truck driver's are treated like slaves by 'whomsoever concerned' so for them life is.....as long as they are alive.

What??is the real solution.And can we hope to see the difference in our(and their)lifetime?
Old 21st February 2007, 14:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The minimum requirements of homologation in India rules out any vehicles from being entirely unsafe on the basis of their mechanicals alone. That translates to older model vehicles that can be considered unsafe:

1. Maruti Omni

2. Bajaj autorickshaw
Old 21st February 2007, 15:06   #6
BHPian

Most unsafe vehicles in the order are: Two wheelers, Auto rikshaws, M800/ Omni.

Between two wheelers and autos fall a majority of our age old trasport: Bullock carts, manually pulled rikshaws, Bicycles, etc..
Old 21st February 2007, 15:24   #7

I think Rickshaws (passenger/load) manufactured by small manufacturer who has virtually no R&D are the most dangerous on road. One of the examples would be [SIZE=-1]ATUL AUTO LTD[/SIZE]
Old 21st February 2007, 16:24   #8
BHPian

Is'nt the driver who makes the situation safe/ unsafe?.
Old 21st February 2007, 16:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

While drivers make the vehicle unsafe with their driving skills (??), one can also never be sure of the vehicles around. A 2 wheeler or an auto is defintiely not the vehicles to be on/in when a drunk reckless moron lurks around on his SUV or so on.
Old 21st February 2007, 16:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
Well what do you know!I was thinking the same lines from quite a bit of time too!! Whenever i see a truck seating position and steering angle,i am always flummoxed on how they balance themselves!On top of it they have loose cushions too!

In city buses, i have seen the drivers stretching their legs to reach the clutch & brake pedals (that are totally worn out) & the place is full of dust which can be very slippery while braking.
Old 21st February 2007, 17:13   #11
BHPian

interesting news

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
In city buses, i have seen the drivers stretching their legs to reach the clutch & brake pedals (that are totally worn out) & the place is full of dust which can be very slippery while braking.
State Road Transport City bus has been fined for not being in good condition in Hyderabad. It came out in news today. A traffic inspector fined state run city bus operator Rs 600, the bus stopped due to a failure at a major intersection and caused traffic problems. Good move guys, hope most of the other traffic inspectors take a cue and follow this guy...
Old 21st February 2007, 21:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why have we forgotten those higly troublesome three wheeler diesel cargo vehicles with that 'phut' 'phut' noise being a sore to your ears and those share autos that run on skinny tyres spewing black smoke ? They are for sure a nightmare to every motorist. Or is it that am missing some good news (its been over 8 months since I left good old India) that these have been taken off the roads ?
Old 21st February 2007, 22:49   #13
BHPian

we do not change that fast, hold on

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Why have we forgotten those higly troublesome three wheeler diesel cargo vehicles with that 'phut' 'phut' noise being a sore to your ears and those share autos that run on skinny tyres spewing black smoke ? They are for sure a nightmare to every motorist. Or is it that am missing some good news (its been over 8 months since I left good old India) that these have been taken off the roads ?
We (meaning indians) are not known to bring in such rapid changes. Wait until 2025 may be . BTW all those vehicles come under the category of autos.
Old 21st February 2007, 23:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

rr_zen, do you think that india could change in 8 years ??? no 8 months ??? dream on, pal. nothing has changed here in chennai, except that mosquitoes have been replaced by a higher pedigreed species of the same. the stupid share autos continue to ply & will keep plying for another 100 years surely until all the politicians who gave those licences pass away or some sense prevails. do you know the cost of a Share Auto license ?? it has crossed 2.5L now. The cost of the contraption is lesser. God bless chennai.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 21st February 2007 at 23:09.
Old 21st February 2007, 23:09   #15
BHPian

And do not forget the pedestrians, cattle ( holy cow and other such animals), cycle riders, scooter and motor cycle riders- most of them with no traffic sense, potholes etc. A good number of accidents take place because the vehicle drivers are forced to brake suddenly as a pedestrian/ two wheel rider/ cattle/ pothole appears out of nowhere, causing the vehicle driver to lose control.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks