Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2020, 13:01   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2020 Skoda Superb spied for the first time in India

Looks like the ventilated front seats made it but not the virtual cockpit offered in the UK spec L&K. Wonder if they included the Dynamic Chassis Control or did VW retain it for the Passat?

Hope they launch it virtually ASAP followed by a traditional launch in early June.

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th May 2020 at 13:07.
Old 17th May 2020, 20:26   #62
BHPian

There is no virtual cockpit in the new Superb as well? The octavia already has it since its last update, why does the superb still gets a miss ?
Old 17th May 2020, 20:36   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post
There is no virtual cockpit in the new Superb as well? The octavia already has it since its last update, why does the superb still gets a miss ?
The New Superb has a Virtual cockpit !
But what I am surprised about is that it does not feature the shift by wire gearbox technology which the 2020 Octavia has ! Quite surprising though ! Maybe the company feels that the enthusiasts who drive themselves will prefer the Octavia and the Superb is mainly for being chauffeured around in.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! 2020 Skoda Superb spied for the first time in India-screenshot-20200517-8.35.49-pm.png  

Last edited by Timothy : 17th May 2020 at 20:45.
Old 17th May 2020, 20:53   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
The New Superb has a Virtual cockpit !
But what I am surprised about is that it does not feature the shift by wire gearbox technology which the 2020 Octavia has ! Quite surprising though ! Maybe the company feels that the enthusiasts who drive themselves will prefer the Octavia and the Superb is mainly for being chauffeured around in.
Thats what I saw on their website but just see the video of L&K above. The interiors clearly show the normal cluster in L&K. Unless they kept it exclusive to Sportline which sound stupid since L&K always has all the features.
prateekchanana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 21:57   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what I saw on their website but just see the video of L&K above. The interiors clearly show the normal cluster in L&K. Unless they kept it exclusive to Sportline which sound stupid since L&K always has all the features.
Correct, unlikely this (demo?) L&K is not one with a VC while the customer cars will have it. VAG is known for randomly putting non-IN spec pictures and data on their websites, so I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Another point to keep in mind is that this is just a facelift to the (relatively ancient) 2016 Superb and not a new car like the Octavia IV. No way Skoda was going to change anything major in this version. We are lucky the 1.8 got upgraded, and that too only because globally 1.8 production was stopped.

Am keen to know if DCC is introduced!

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th May 2020 at 22:03.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 00:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I had seen the video of the demo car & noticed that it did not feature the VC, but they mention it as a feature in all their press releases, including on their website. Also VW group offers it on most of their newer models namely the T Roc, Karoq & the new L&K version of the Kodiaq.

I will also take the liberty of mentioning that this is one feature that I probably enjoy the most in my Octavia 1.8 TSI as you fire the engine, with all its different settings & nifty features. This was one amongst other primary features that made me stretch to the L&K instead of the Onyx version of the Octavia.

So it is highly unlikely that they will miss out on this crucial feature in their most premium offering in India. Maybe the demo car is an import version that does not feature the VC. Thats my personal perception, rest anyone who is in the market for the new Superb can always clarify with the dealer.
Old 18th May 2020, 10:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

This car definitely looks like an under equipped demo or something. Virtual cockpit should have been there for sure, though never read about DCC anywhere, another big miss in this particular car is the LED Matrix Headlamps. This one has regular reflector LED headlamps. Don't know what Skoda India is up to.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 13:36   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Believe the new tentative launch date was 21st May before the lockdown 4.0 got extended to 31st. Hope Skoda launches it anyway!
Old 18th May 2020, 14:20   #69
BHPian

The L&K doesn't have virtual cockpit? The video posted on this thread on the walkaround of the L&K variant doesn't have it.
Old 19th May 2020, 06:10   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've been told this is indeed the case. Sportline gets the Alcantara black interiors with the flat bottomed steering wheel & VC. L&K (from the video) gets the ventilated seats, beige interiors and what else? Do both/neither/either get the coveted DCC?

Interesting to see that the L&K is not the biggest baddest variant. Traditionally, that has always been the case, and any Indian buyer is going to be extremely unhappy to see the VC missing.

It should push the Sportline sales though in conjunction with that black interior. Certainly gives a uber sporty feel compared to the beige L&K.

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th May 2020 at 06:29.
Old 19th May 2020, 07:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I've been told this is indeed the case. Sportline gets the Alcantara black interiors with the flat bottomed steering wheel & VC. L&K (from the video) gets the ventilated seats, beige interiors and what else? Do both/neither/either get the coveted DCC?

Interesting to see that the L&K is not the biggest baddest variant. Traditionally, that has always been the case, and any Indian buyer is going to be extremely unhappy to see the VC missing.

It should push the Sportline sales though in conjunction with that black interior. Certainly gives a uber sporty feel compared to the beige L&K.
Thanks for the info, but that’s a weird strategy in part of skoda. If someone wants the classy beige interiors but also the new digital instrument cluster they have to look at Octavia.

I couldn’t agree more, even though black interiors look sporty but in a car like superb they might eventually give the cab like feeling to someone who frequently travels in cabs abroad.

Hope skoda fixes this and add VC to L&K in a minor update as they keep on adding/deleting stuff with time.
Old 19th May 2020, 09:31   #72
Team-BHP Support

Almost 90% of all Superb's are chauffeur driven. They will save a good amount not offering the virtual cockpit in L&K for the chauffeur to enjoy. It's not a bad move as such.

The Virtual cockpit does look good but I prefer a nice analog dial over it any day as the novelty wears out.

It's a smart move to keep the feature in sportline as that variant is targeted at self driving folks who want a premium D2 segment car.

Removing the virtual dials in L&K is understandable by me and would not really hold it against them as the thinking is right in terms of chauffeur driven vehicle.
Old 19th May 2020, 11:03   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Almost 90% of all Superb's are chauffeur driven. They will save a good amount not offering the virtual cockpit in L&K for the chauffeur to enjoy. It's not a bad move as such.

The Virtual cockpit does look good but I prefer a nice analog dial over it any day as the novelty wears out.

It's a smart move to keep the feature in sportline as that variant is targeted at self driving folks who want a premium D2 segment car.

Removing the virtual dials in L&K is understandable by me and would not really hold it against them as the thinking is right in terms of chauffeur driven vehicle.
Agreed that most of Superbs will be chauffeur driven, but so are many other cars like the more expensive Germans, but I don't think it justifies omitting the new trending features. The rare occasion a customer decides to drive the car himself, it should have all the bells and whistles including the ones offered on the lower/cheaper variants. Preferring the analog dial over the virtual ones is completely subjective, but it is still one of the latest feature coming to all cars.

And if the reason they actually omitted it is the car being chauffeur driven most times then shouldn't they offer rear ventilated seats instead of front ones? Or may be on all seats, in case the owner decides to take it for a spin just like VC.

I think if differentiating the Sportline was their main aim, the better route would have been to have a unique sports mode on VC reserved for the Sportline variant and a unique classic more reserved for L&K (may be with L&K lettering on the VC), which is not that difficult to customise compared to a regular instrument cluster.

Last edited by prateekchanana : 19th May 2020 at 11:04. Reason: typo
prateekchanana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 12:22   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Correct, unlikely this (demo?)

Another point to keep in mind is that this is just a facelift to the (relatively ancient) 2016 Superb and not a new car like the Octavia IV. No way Skoda was going to change anything major in this version. We are lucky the 1.8 got upgraded, and that too only because globally 1.8 production was stopped.

Am keen to know if DCC is introduced!
Yup, I agree the new engine along with the DSG Gearbox is a major upgrade for the Superb ! Probably they will save the Shift by Wire Gearbox for the next facelift to generate demand and get the interest levels back. Or perhaps to coincide with the launch of the new Octavia sometime next year.

Anyway considering the current environment, I don't know how many new launches actually happen will have to be seen. Its a bad economic situation for sure !!
Old 19th May 2020, 12:33   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

There are loads of tried-and-tested remapping and tuning chip options both for this 2.0 TSI 190/320 engine as well as the DQ381 DSG box.

Just a cursory search shows that it could very well manage 245+ bhp although may not match the RS245's agility with the shorter wheelbase, XDS electronic diff & DCC.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed