Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 08:34   #1
BHPian

The Cult Vehicles of India!

Out of all the vehicles that have hit the Indian tarmac this decade, which ones do you think will stand the test of time and eventually gain a huge cult following? Which ones do you think will be the collector's darlings or the most sought after models in the used market? Which ones do you think are going to be as cool as the RX 100, Tata Safari, Palio and Civic are today?

You can use these Team-BHP COTY links for your reference (for cars) -

COTY 2010
COTY 2011
COTY 2012
COTY 2013
COTY 2014
COTY 2015
COTY 2016
COTY 2017
COTY 2018

You can choose any car or bike released between 1/1/10 to 31/12/19. Facelifts can also be nominated. But please remember to add the Year of Release along with the model you choose.

I narrowed down some obvious choices but I'm not going to list them all here at once. I think it would be better if we all restricted ourselves to just one automobile of our choice in our post. Here's mine -

The Cult Vehicles of India!-c3fcbc735cc3a4d23f889d8df045cefc.jpg

VW Polo GTI 1.8 TSI (2 door) [2016]
- the absolute sleeper cum pocket rocket. Here are some proud owners of the GTI from our forum with their ownership reviews -

abinashnanda - My Red Volkswagen Polo 1.8L GTI

The Cult Vehicles of India!-my-post.jpg

anandpadhye -
VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!

The Cult Vehicles of India!-shauk.jpg

Santhoshbhat -
Hot hatch fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI

The Cult Vehicles of India!-img_20191115_173132__01.jpg

This 192 PS churning Tasmanian Devil does the 0-100 in a whooping 7.2 seconds. However, the responsibility that comes with that kind of power is to be understood(Massive Polo GTI accident at Hyderabad).

Only ~300(?) of these are being driven around in our roads at present. Spotting a well-priced, well-maintained GTI in the used market today is like spotting a tiger in Kabini. Don't forget, it's only been here for 4 years! And of course, anyone who wants to go for one of these has to strap his brain to a child seat on the rear bench and let his heart take control of the wheel. Whether or not VW decides to bring more of these in the future is uncertain. Although, I'm sure every Polo owner would've atleast once looked at their car and wished it was the GTI, dreaming of blissfully redlining it to utter glory on an open highway.

So, what's your pick?

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 5th December 2019 at 08:40.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 08:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The Cult Vehicles of India!

Mod Note: Please stick to actual CULT vehicles on this thread . All of us love our cars, but that doesn't make them cult vehicles! Thank you.

Also, let's include all CULT vehicles, not just from 2010 onward. Renaming thread.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2019 at 10:18.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 09:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Choosing among the cars would be a tough task, but in the world of motorcycles, KTM Duke 200 first shown to the public around 2011 would be my pick. Introductory price was just too good to be true for a proper 200cc street bike with all the equipment. Still puts a smile on my face
giri1.8 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 09:35   #4
KPR
BANNED

For me it's the ABARTH PUNTO launched in Nov 2015. The torque steer at 1800 rpms and above, steering feedback, stupendous braking response from front and rear discs, ever green Italian looks, the leech like suspension setup at moderate to high speeds, built quality, under body metal shield, all black interiors are the ones one can talk all day about. Even with deterrents like rubbery gearbox, lack of torque below 1800 rpm, not so easy driving position, lack of space or claustrophobic effect and poor resale value, this car clings on to heart of one who revved it. So knowing these negatives if one purchases this car, it can reward buyer a car ownership experience that can be relished for life.

Photo courtesy: White scorpion from T-Bhp official review.
The Cult Vehicles of India!-abarthpunto01-1.jpg

My brother's black scorpion during PDI at FASS.
The Cult Vehicles of India!-ab.jpg
KPR is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 09:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar. Launched in October 2010 as per Wikipedia. It was an absolute masterstroke by Mahindra and their marketing team. It is the car everyone wants at some point in time. The only other choice existing at that time for an enthusiast offroader was to hunt for a decade-old discontinued Mahindra.

And look at the way it looks. This thing will invoke emotions for many coming generations.

Image credits to Autocar.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cult Vehicles of India!-1_578_872_0_70_http-_cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190319040042_tharx2x.jpg  

Last edited by padmrajravi : 5th December 2019 at 09:46.
padmrajravi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 10:18   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Let's include all CULT cars of India, not just from 2010 onward. Renaming thread.

Agreed with the Abarth & Thar .

3 more cult cars!

The 1st-gen vRS! What a car, with performance ahead of its time. There was nothing like it back in the day and frankly, no car today also matches its feel:
The Cult Vehicles of India!-2017skodaoctaviars11.jpg

Never liked the Safari's looks or on-road behaviour, yet will concede that it is one of the most cult'ish cars in India. Tata's amazing ads helped:
The Cult Vehicles of India!-img_20170106_073608.jpg

1st-gen City Vtec. One reason only = it's mad, insane, crazy revv-happy engine:
The Cult Vehicles of India!-63078.jpg

RD350. Enough said?
The Cult Vehicles of India!-t2vo1md.jpg
GTO is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 10:26   #7
BHPian

Re: The Cult Vehicles of India!

Since it is not limited to the current decade, I'll add the Innova and Fortuner. A cult following among cabbies and politicians, and going strong even now.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 10:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't get more cult than this Maruti:

How many times did we hear this in the early 2000s - "Mere paas Zen hai!"
RavenAvi is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 10:56   #9
BHPian

No Cultcar thread in India is complete without the "Baap" of the Indian Cultcars -
The LEGENDARY GYPSY-
Pic Courtesy - Gypsy of very own @sandeepgnair
and Pictures of the Legion of Gypsies from the Indian Armed Forces - images from internet
Attached Thumbnails
The Cult Vehicles of India!-img_1266.jpg  

The Cult Vehicles of India!-gypsy.jpg  

The Cult Vehicles of India!-hqdefault.jpg  

The Cult Vehicles of India!-dsc_0005300x201.jpg  

poised2drive is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 11:01   #10
BHPian

The classic cult - The contessa !

Pic Courtesy: Internet
Attached Thumbnails
The Cult Vehicles of India!-contessa_1.jpg  

Superleggera is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 11:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Contessa. Its the mother of all in India. Only if the car prices were lesser, HM could have milked it like the Bullets. Its the equivalent of muscle cars (without much muscle) of US.
srishiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 11:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

No cult vehicle list in India is complete without the Mahindra Bolero.

This vehicle has such a massive following and is still one of the top sellers despite it being sold in the same mould it was launched over a decade ago.

People in the hills of Uttarakhand, Himachal and the North East swear by it's ruggedness and reliability.

Reminds me of a story during my Sikkim trip. We had just landed in Bagdogra and we hired a bolero to take us to Pelling. After an hour, the engine started heating up, and the bolero was brought to a halt. The driver checked and apparently there was barely any engine oil! The driver hitched a ride to the nearest pump, got back with engine oil, poured it into the engine and we were off on our way again!
Attached Thumbnails
The Cult Vehicles of India!-cabimage_20181024_982a3161261.jpg  

coolkurt is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 11:39   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's another cult car! Just like the Contessa, the unique body style & sheer muscle attracted many fans. And just like the Contessa, the Sierra looks handsome even today.

The styling was ahead of its time. This "Turbo" variant launched late in its life was quick; I taught many Esteems, Cielos & Astras what "mid-range" is all about in one

The Cult Vehicles of India!-sierra-1.jpg

The n/a version. Red was a popular colour choice:
The Cult Vehicles of India!-sierra-3.jpg

The Cult Vehicles of India!-sierra-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 11:43   #14
BHPian

I am not sure if they are classic like the ones being mentioned here, but I can say that these two cars will be in the Indian Automotive history for sure!

1. The Renault Duster!

The car that created a space, which is the hottest space in the country's automotive segment right now! We have already seen enough of the success of new companies in the compact SUV segment and the seed was planted by the Duster!

2. The Ford Ecosport!

The other car which created a new segment called the sub-4m SUV in the country! Like the previous one, everyone knows this space!

I can see the SUV's ruling the country, dominating the sales list and spoiling the people for choice!

Although they aren't old enough to be called classics, they are the cars to be etched in the history of Indian Automobiles!

If SUVs are dominating the market in the future, I can say to my son that this is where it all started!

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2019 at 12:27. Reason: On second thoughts :)
Jagann13 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 12:38   #15
BHPian

The following three are Cult Classics IMO
  • Tata Safari - the original SUV
  • Contessa - Our one Gangsta Car
  • Honda Civic- previous gen defined driving and power
saisree is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks