Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2004, 17:26   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]think he got it from the showroom itself,
Well, if they are from the Skoda dealership, they will not be priced les than Rs.60,000 for a set of 5. The smoked multi spoked 16" rims go for Rs.12,000 a piece, so these would be about the same.

Rt
Old 1st September 2004, 17:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Help !!!!

im in love with this car ......lets ask skoda for a TD .......

a powerful engine , battle tank build , great ride , good looks ,.......what more cud i want ! a little more bhp i guess.....skoda ru listening ??

Old 1st September 2004, 17:52   #33
Team-BHP Support

Hey, I just remembered...the ad on TOI claimed that the car would give 21 Kmpl on the highway...!!! That seem's a little over optimistic dont you think? Skoda are shooting themselves in the foot with that, as India being India, you will have one guy who buys it because of this claim and then gets bugged with Skoda coz his car only gives him about 10 kmpl! Fine print...what fine print??

Rt
Old 1st September 2004, 18:26   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hey, I just remembered...the ad on TOI claimed that the car would give 21 Kmpl on the highway...!!!
As claimed in the ad, its according to the Overdrive test. The stupidest test in the world if you ask me. They drive at a consistent 80 km/h in the top gear without any increase/decrease in the speed. Man, my C would give 15 in those conditions.

What they ought to do is drive the car in actual highway conditions and then report facts instead of "ideal driving conditions" a la all those 4 stroke bike ads claiming 100 kpl.

GTO
Old 1st September 2004, 18:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]They drive at a consistent 80 km/h in the top gear without any increase/decrease in the speed.
Is that what they do?? Man, and i thought auto magazines are here to provide readers with REAL testing! Who on earth is going to drive like that? Those figure make no sense whatsoever...atleast not to the public! I bet the auto companies love it though, and in return pay OD so they can publish those figures in their ad's.

Rt
Old 1st September 2004, 19:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

Well GTO and Rtech,

I do agree with you about that not being a "true" test, however, its the most true test when it comes to comparing cars FE.
Highway conditions are never the same, in terms of traffic, gradient, passengers, AC etc etc......not to mention different drivers driving styles. So if they were to test their cars with these varying conditions the window of error would be so much larger. (With their current test style it is limited to much fewer variables -eg. weather & tirepressure)

So overall i think its good that we have both OD & ACI testing styles for the FE values.

cya
R

Old 1st September 2004, 19:19   #37
RJK
Senior - BHPian

ACI FE results are more realistic while OD gives IDEAL results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]As claimed in the ad, its according to the Overdrive test. The stupidest test in the world if you ask me. They drive at a consistent 80 km/h in the top gear without any increase/decrease in the speed.
totally. Indeed very ridiculous results. People don't want idealistic figures. What they can get through everyday driving is all they want to know. I remember reading Accent CRDi's test by overdrive in which they say it gave them an unbelievable 26.6kmpl-highway ! I wonder how they drove!
Old 1st September 2004, 20:40   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I do agree with you about that not being a "true" test, however, its the most true test when it comes to comparing cars FE.
Highway conditions are never the same, in terms of traffic, gradient, passengers, AC etc etc......not to mention different drivers driving styles. So if they were to test their cars with these varying conditions the window of error would be so much larger. (With their current test style it is limited to much fewer variables -eg. weather & tirepressure)
If highway conditions arent the same, then neither are city conditions. How do they manage to do that then? Unless its an extreme circumstance (stuck in the ghats for 3 hours, expressway vs normal highway) I have pretty much got the same highway averages over the last couple of years...be it my Esteem, Jeep, Vtec etc.

Realistic tests are a must cos our highways arent exactly freeways where you can activate cruise control at 80km/h. Varying speeds, gear shifts, the odd braking to a halt...are all part of everyday highway driving in our country.

Autocar performs real life fuel efficiency tests and so do most other car reports that I have read. Overdrive is the only magazine I have come across, anywhere in the world, that does a 80 km/h "ideal condition" highway test for fuel economy. Figures are absolute hogwash and not indicative of what you will get in the real world. Whats the basic point of a road test then?

GTO
Old 1st September 2004, 20:48   #39
Team-BHP Support

As GTO says, I have yet to come across a magazine that tests FE the way OD does. Almost every magazine has a set orute which they travel on to judge FE, but none make it a point to travel exactly X distance at exactly Y speed. This is left to the official Govt. bodies who give the FE under ideal conditions. Those figures are practically useless to us as consumers as we will never experience those "ideal conditions".

Sure the figures for each run in each car will differ in a real world test, but thats what we want to know. If a car gives a better FE at a constant 80kmph, does that mean it will be better in the real world?

Rt
Old 2nd September 2004, 13:33   #40
Team-BHP Support

the car's at the worli/prabhadevi showroom. came in yesterday (wed). no test drives though. the car there is for showroom only. goodies list mimic the L&K except for the 4 spoke steering wheel with controls. i am surprised the goodies issue came up - i figured "real drivers" like you guys would rather look at tech specs. BTW the octi should drive tighter than the accord afterall it does have VW/Audi heritage.
Old 2nd September 2004, 14:06   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the car's at the worli/prabhadevi showroom.
Hey Navin....how does it look is yellow?? As bad as the pics suggest it would?

Too bad about no test drives though!

Rt
Old 2nd September 2004, 14:50   #42
Team-BHP Support

i dont like yellow. did not like it on the zen. dont like it on the Diablo or F360 and cant care for it on an octi either. Red too. The 308 and 928 were both black. So was my ski outfit. Got me my nickname - "Darth Vader". Sorry for the strong opinion. BTW if you see a silver haired person oogling the RS tom you know it is me.

Old 2nd September 2004, 14:53   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (navin @ Sep. 02 2004,12:03)]BTW the octi should drive tighter than the accord afterall it does have VW/Audi heritage.
Hold on, VW lost the plot after the Golf 2 - great cruising cars. audi's have tremendous grip but uncommunicative steerings.

Re: The Octy RS - nice kit but would you spend Rs 17 Lakhs on a car which is to be replaced next year ?
Old 2nd September 2004, 14:55   #44
Team-BHP Support

more like 15L
Old 2nd September 2004, 21:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

OK,

So i have some questions abt the RS,

1. Are the brakes beefed up at all? whats the difference? (larger discs/more pistons/larger master/larger booster) ??
2. Have they altered the suspension components or setup in any way?
3. Intercooler present?
4. Whats the stock tire size and what tires are they offering the car with on the Indian market?
5. Is the car available to order yet, and when can one expect delivery ? (damn...i wish)
6. Will the Octavia RS we get be visually any different from this >

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks