Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 18:29   #31
BHPian

Re: February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Whats with the Dzire numbers ? Isn`t the Diesel still available or the whole stock is exhausted (Petrol & Diesel) and dispatches will only begin once the face lift is launched.
Old 7th March 2020, 00:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post

Very surprised by the huge drop in Tata Altroz sales. Such a fantastic product and and really well priced too. Wonder what Tata needs to do to get into the top 10 league. Feel bad for them.
I think this has been said ad nauseum in the forum, Tata now has the broad engineering right ) but cars like the Harrier still had one too many niggles in what I would call the beta phase, but given that products like Nexon and Altroz and even the facelift Harrier are top notch, service quality is still stuck in sarkari naukari type environment
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 20:37   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Data for February was meaningless - as these are dealer dispatches and strongly influenced by the status of the shift to BS6 and dealer inventories of BS4 vehicles (which must come down to zero by March 31).

Kia has undoubtedly done a great job - launching at a time of immense disruption and doing a great job, with a car that looks amazingly attractive whenever you see it.

Data is likely to be noisy in March, due to both the BS6 shift and the supply disruption due to Covid 19. Hopefully, April data is more representative of actual trends going forward.
Old 8th March 2020, 07:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

[

Kia has undoubtedly done a great job - launching at a time of immense disruption and doing a great job, with a car that looks amazingly attractive whenever you see it.

Yes. Kia is one manufacturer that's making all the kind of right noises in a market that's hit rough weather since few years.That shows one thing , there would always be takers for quality and well researched out products. This brand is slowly and surely being embraced by Indian car buyers.Their numbers speaks for itself.

I think Kia 's entry to India has also been accentuated by the fact that Hyundai repeatedly failed to make any inroads into other side of car sales spectrum , the premium segment. Despite many iterations and face lifts of models like Tucson, Santa Fe , Sonata , Elantra they failed to make a lasting impression with car buyers in that segment. Hence they sort of brought their sibling Kia as a premium offering I feel and also for locking horns with a certain giant called Maruti . Similar parallel is, in school when we couldn't handle a tough bully , we sought the help of our senior brothers . They had a crack at the mid size suv segment with a well thought out and researched product that set the sales chart on fire and rightly so and now went straight into launching Carnival ( a premium mpv with literally no player , nearest rival being innova crystal ). Having done that , now there are reports of launching Kia Sorento , Telluride , which points to the fact that they're here to do What Hyundai couldn't do or rather Hyundai's large game plan with Kia to topple the giant called Maruti.Indeed they're firing on all cylinders.

Maruti on its part has to garner all it's experience and financial muscle to take Hyundai-Kia combine head on and need to up the ante soon. Industry is keenly watching if their decision to quit the diesel scene altogether would end up as a right move .Incidentally , it's been an Achilles' heal for Maruti too to crack the premium segments.. Unless they make giant leaps in technology( 4 speed auto in a brezza an example when Ford has just launched the world's first 10 speed box in Endy) and faster execution they'll slowly lose the ground to the Korean siblings and I won't be surprised if the latter summit the chart 8-10 years down the line..

In short this duel is a much needed impetus to an industry that has gone into a slumber and would benefit the Indian car buyers immensely..

by the way , if published this is my first post on this great forum which i've been yearning to be part of. Thank you dear administrators/moderators for letting me in. Proud to be in good company .

Cheers,
Manoj
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 11:16   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
Interesting to see Kia Seltos single handedly making Kia the No.3 car seller in India.
Polo numbers are plummeting, needs a special edition!
Corolla is 0 units, that's surprising, finished bs4 stock and no bs6 dispatches yet?
And in other news, safari /storme sold "-1" units in Feb, a error probably.
Hope many of us saw that Hyundai and Kia together are now 22.2% of the Indian car market. The next player is sub 5% in market share

Last edited by niranjanprabhu : 8th March 2020 at 11:18.
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 12:18   #36
BHPian

I can't believe the Alturas G4 managed only 38 nos. Anything to do with South Korea + COVID. Definitely these nos. do not justify a very competitive product.
Old 10th March 2020, 16:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Hope many of us saw that Hyundai and Kia together are now 22.2% of the Indian car market. The next player is sub 5% in market share

With MSIL not selling diesel, this number will only go up! I dont think the landscape will change a whole lot, but it will rebalance. The diesel super stars like Brezza/Dzire/Ertiga/Baleno numbers will be interesting to watch.
Old 10th March 2020, 16:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Like many have said before, I am sure lack of diesel option will hit maruti and almost everyone except them, Toyota and probably Renault/Nissan have a small diesel that's doing duty on their cars and imho this is simply Maruti being too over confident of their leader position in India which I think is going to back fire .
Old 10th March 2020, 22:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
Tata:
Sad to see Altroz take a dip - clearly Indians (collectively) care a damn about safety ratings or build quality. This is the state when 2020 i20 is not yet launched. It is just depressing to talk about it. Why should Tata pour so much of R&D $, if all Indians want is "kitna-deti-hai" tin cans? Nexon is holding its ground. Tiago twins and Harrier are getting a refresh - will have to wait and watch.
I think the reason is because Tata is unable to make the deliveries due to parts shortage. I am waiting for the new nexon to be delivered. I maybe, probably, one of the first ones to book the new facelift at the dealership. When i spoke to the sales guy at the dealership, he mentioned that he is sitting on Altroz bookings for over a month and half and still could not get the car allocated. I am not sure why Tata is not formally coming out with a press statement that they have an impact due to shortage of parts because of COVID-19 situation. I think Altroz is a beautiful and well rounded car ticking all the boxes. Ofcourse a turbo pertol and a proper automatic would make it much more desirable.
TurboOnTarmac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:17   #40
BHPian

Wagon R numbers have steadily grown from Sept 19 (11.7k), Oct-Nov 19 (14k), small dip in Jan 19(10.4 k). The numbers again going up in Feb 20(15.2k) and now 18.2k.
Anyone can throw some light on this numbers. Anyway WagonR has been a steady performer for a decade.
Old 13th March 2020, 10:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

New vehicle registrations up by 2.6% in February 2020

According to the data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), new vehicle registrations grew by 2.6% in February 2020. All segments saw growth, except the personal vehicle segment, which saw a decline of 1.17%.

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada1.jpg

Personal vehicle sales dropped from 2,28,959 in February 2019 to 2,26,271 units.

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada2.jpg

2-wheeler registrations saw a year-on-year growth of 1.52%. 12,85,398 2-wheelers were sold in February 2020.

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada3.jpg

The 3-wheeler segment registered the highest growth of 20.70%. Sales grew from 54,474 units in February 2019 to 65,752 in February 2020.

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada4.jpg

92,805 commercial vehicles were sold last month compared to 81,129 in February 2019. The segment registered a year-on-year growth of 13%.

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada5.jpg

The tractor segment also saw a growth of 13.52%.

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada6.jpg

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada7.jpg

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada8.jpg

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada9.jpg

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada10.jpg

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fada11.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
Old 26th March 2020, 14:29   #42
BHPian

Hi, New on this forum. Where do we get the raw date of sales figures from? What I see is that the data has been provided courtesy of Auto Punditz but this is pre-processed data. New inferences from this data is limited and slightly laborious. Thanks.
Old 27th March 2020, 17:18   #43
BHPian

Hi, Here is a new perspective on the market share.
Basis - Share of wallet/ market revenue basis. It is not correct to choose only the units sold because some manufacturers sell more expensive models while some manufacturers sell less expensive models. Hence, revenue share is a further processing model rather than unit sales.

1) All data is ex-showroom Delhi prices.
2) Data courtesy AutoPunditz, manufacturer websites, Zigwheels, NDTV Auto.
3) Data is calculated only on Feb 2020 sales numbers.
4) Distinction is not made between Petrol and Diesel. Weighed averages after segregating petrol and diesel can be done. Also, average means weighted average is at 50%.
5) Datsun data was amalgamated in Nissan. Jeep and Fiat amalgamated as well.

Method - Take average of prices of any particular model and multiply by units sold. Market revenue share calculated on this basis.

Findings:
1) Maruti Market Share drops from ~53% to ~42%.
2) Hyundai has a slight loss of 1.27 points.
3) Toyota is the biggest gainer by two places in rankings.
4) Tata and Renault drop by two places each.
Attached Thumbnails
February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-rankings.jpg  

Old 27th March 2020, 18:16   #44
BHPian

Six months moving averages.
Attached Thumbnails
February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-mav-1.jpg  

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-mav-2.jpg  

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-mav-3.png  

Old 27th March 2020, 20:42   #45
BHPian

Top 20 Cars: Cars earning most revenue for their manufacturers.
February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-20.jpg

Lowest revenue earning cars
February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-lowest-revenue-earning-cars.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 27th March 2020 at 21:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts again. Please read the rules before proceeding.
nitin_vish is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks