Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2020, 15:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan

Work has now begun on a sedan based on the x451 platform. The project is code-named with a word based on Hindi, which will be confirmed to me soon.

The sedan will borrow design cues graciously from the Altroz & the E-Vision concept.
RavenAvi is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 17:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Work has now begun on a sedan based on the x451 platform. The project is code-named with a word based on Hindi, which will be confirmed to me soon.

The sedan will borrow design cues graciously from the Altroz & the E-Vision concept.
It is a definite move to spawn a sedan based on the Altroz but I wish it is not a tigor/dzire/manza of altroz rather a sedan with an identity distinct from the hatch.

One question that pops up immediately - which segment will this sedan be positioned? An alternative to dzire or ciaz. They definitely need a bigger and better petrol engine to power this and other upcoming big cars instead of plonking the same 1.2L 3 cylinder heart across the range.

With the SUV craze going across India and also throughout the globe, a seltos/creta size SUVish vehicle might have been more suited to rake in volume which is missing from Tata stable.

Regards,
Debrup
rupdeb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 18:04   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
They definitely need a bigger and better petrol engine to power this and other upcoming big cars instead of plonking the same 1.2L 3 cylinder heart across the range.
They might use the upcoming 1.5L petrol engine or they might use the existing 1.2L petrol in Nexon's or higher tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
With the SUV craze going across India and also throughout the globe, a seltos/creta size SUVish vehicle might have been more suited to rake in volume which is missing from Tata stable.
Well said, Tata needs a Creta/Seltos sized SUV for better numbers.
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 12:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan

Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 13:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Altroz can spawn a city/ciaz/verna competitor. It is a segment that Tata lost interest in after Manza. Apart from the looks, Manza had everything to compete with Verna and City back then. I would love to see them take a shot at that executive segment again. A good automatic paired with their new design language should do the trick.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 14:58   #6
BHPian

Interesting times ahead! With the recent Tata launches, I am confident that it will look good and will be decently loaded with features.
New gen Tatas also reflect the efforts went into right direction - Platform and Design. Once basic design elements are right, platform can be reused in multiple applications solving versatile purposes.. similar to Software Applications. Good luck to Tata!!
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 16:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sedans are dead. Don't know why TML is wasting their resources in this segment unless they foresee the market drubbing the UV's anytime soon.
Old 9th March 2020, 18:09   #8
BHPian

Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan-dykt7b_voae0htw.jpg

Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan-tataevision2.jpg

Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan-tataevisiongreenrearb11c.jpg

Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan-2020tataevisionelectricsedanproductionversionfrontfasciaindiapicturesphotosimagessnapsgallery.jpg

E-VISION is one sexy looking concept. A C1-C2 segment sedan with this killer looks can do wonders. Just make sure that it has,

1] Automatic right from the launch in ICE version (Hope it is not going to be an EV only)
2] Panoramic sunroof (a must if you want a pie from ruling CSUVs)
3] 5 star safety ratings (get it tested before launch as Altroz)
4] Manza-ish rear seat comfort
5] More powerful turbo version as variant right from the launch

and, Advertise it with "Jaguar genes" and hire Ben Kingsley as brand ambassador .

Just going by the looks of the concept and Tata's recent record of design-to-production conversions, This design certainly has ability to lure CSUV buyers to reconsider sedan.

P.S- Getting the vibes of Aston martin Lagonda Taraf from the concept design, attaching the picture for reference,

Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan-astonmartinlagondawallpaper23576.jpg

Last edited by JJay : 9th March 2020 at 18:20.
JJay is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 18:58   #9
BHPian

If Tata is still eyeing the number 3 spot in PV, this sedan has to be a C1 segment launch.
Any other positioning, and I feel it will be Dead on Arrival. The risk reward ratio does not warrant a sedan in the current market scenario.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 19:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

In whichever way you look at it, is such a flawed strategy, and TATA Motors is not the manufacturer who can revive this segment.

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 12388
Size:  169.5 KB

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th March 2020 at 19:54.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 20:12   #11
BHPian

I sure am eagerly waiting for this launch!

My wishlist is simple - A C1/C2 segment sedan with a proper hybrid engine (ICE + Battery) something similar to likes of Toyota Camry at a price point which is hard to resist!

I know TATA has the capability and technology to achieve it and they should gun for it!
This can potentially become a game changer for them!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 20:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
In whichever way you look at it, is such a flawed strategy, and TATA Motors is not the manufacturer who can revive this segment.

Attachment 1978218

Agreed the Sedan segment has fallen year on year, but havent all segments experienced the same, although at different levels?

Point is, Tata motors may not be able to turn around the segment, but they stand less to lose. If they come up with a sedan that is based on the Altroz, nearly 70% of the parts are shared, so no significant investment there.

Also, Tata motors may try and do a Tigor here, may be get a C segment sedan that is the size of a Verna at the price of the Top end Dzire. Tata clearly knows that the Tigor cannot take the fight to the Dzire, the New Amaze and the Aura, so what can it do? Offer a bigger sedan at a slight premium to these cars and try and see if it can generate some additional sales.

Lastly, the sedan segment is now having a dearth of options, the new 2020 City looks like its going to be expensive than the current one, the Vento and the Rapid are on its last legs with no diesels from April, and the only ones left are the Ciaz and the Verna.

I think its quite simply the question of investment vs risk. If the new sedan borrows heavily from the Altroz, there is not much for Tata to lose. They might be even happy with a 1100-1500 units per month kind of number.
motorworks is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 11:17   #13
VVN
BHPian

I am glad that TATA are not ignoring the sedan segment. Sedans are in a different league altogether when it comes to FTD. Although the market is shifting towards pseudo SUVs, I think I will always be a sedan guy. There is something very different about sedans.

Coming to the car, my god the concept looks gorgeous. If they are able to retain 90% of the concept and provide a good engine, they have a winner imo.
VVN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 11:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Firstly Tata motors are churning out one vehicle after another. However when we look at the sales none of them have have put the charts on fire.

Given their designs have evolved to one of the most stylish of the lot, look at Harrier and the latest Altroz being one though later being subjective to one's taste. Even then they do not hit the right buttons in terms of specifications or quality. This makes customers vary of their products.

In this context another sedan based on Altroz is just burning more cash given their earlier compact sedans Zest and Tigor again good cars by their own right did not cut much ice. The only niche here is for a full size sedan given Etios exit but then we have the two most planted competitors in the names of Verna and City that they have to beat and yes that is not easy at all!
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 12:18   #15
BHPian

This is a welcome move from TATA.
As far as the reviews I heard and seen, Altroz is a wonderful car and I feel that the new Altroz based car will be a proper sedan.
Still, I feel that TATA needs some push from somewhere to make their sales figures go up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks