Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2020, 16:44   #136
BHPian

Re: How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?

Most of you have already covered what I personally do! Still listed mine as points.

1) Start the car twice every week
2) Check tire pressure and maintaining optimum pressure
3) Move the vehicle front, back and also steer left and right (Not dry steering)
4) Inspect all wires manually (Quick eye check)
5) Look for leaks of fluids (Can be anything including Diesel)
6) Replace the tobacco leaves kept under the bonnet - To keep rats away (15 days once)
7) Run the AC and play music for 10 mins
8) Clean and cover the car again.
Old 28th April 2020, 16:51   #137
BHPian

4 CARS are outside and 1 is in the porch. I advise not to touch them in any circumstance. I occasionally wash those from 1st floor using - pipe. We are using them to contain whatever we order online etc for a couple of days. When any order comes we unlock it from inside and ask the delivery boy to open the boot and put the boxed inside.

Corona virus is known to stay on metal surfaces for longer periods so avoid touching your rides if they’re parked outside.

One particular car is inside, which we take out to go to my clinic etc.

Stay indoors, stay safe BHPians.
dr.aviansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 17:35   #138
Senior - BHPian

I protect my cars by driving them 2 or 3 times a week! If it is not possible to drive out of my gated community, I drive them through the roads within the compound, just a few rounds until I cover a couple of kilometres.

Stopped the habit of idling the car in the garage, because I've had troubles later with my exhaust system - if you idle your petrol car for say 10 minutes from a cold start, it is not enough for the entire exhaust system to heat up and evaporate or expel any water condensation that happened within the pipes. (We know the byproducts of petrol burn!) My wife used to do 10-15 minute idling with our petrol car, one or two times a week, for about 2 months when I was away. The water that condensed within the pipes stayed there and it resulted in rusting. This manifested as several holes in the exhaust pipes and I had to change the entire exhaust pipe system.

This is how NH66 near Trivandrum looks like on a weekday during lockdown -

PS - This was done for purchasing essential food items, and I had the affidavit with me so it was legal.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th April 2020 at 17:47.
clevermax is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 18:07   #139
BHPian

Yes, it is always better to drive it around rather than just idling or moving a couple of feet back and forth.

People staying in gated communities can easily drive around inside the compound. Those staying in individual houses can just drive around outside their houses!.
Old 29th April 2020, 10:49   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Yes, it is always better to drive it around rather than just idling or moving a couple of feet back and forth.

People staying in gated communities can easily drive around inside the compound. Those staying in individual houses can just drive around outside their houses!.
Yes, the best way is to at least do a couple of short drives a week. I use my two cars alternately for getting groceries/ medicines/ water etc every week, and that ensures that both cars get at least a minimal amount of driving around within the neighbourhood. I do not believe in idling the engine because its just a waste of fuel and is a less preferred method as compared to actually getting the car on the road (even though for a very short while).

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 29th April 2020 at 11:11.
Old 29th April 2020, 13:15   #141
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore received heavy rains at 4.30 AM today. Promptly kept my car out for a great pressure wash, lasting much more than an hour. Besides, I'm regularly cleaning with Jopasu and sometimes, mild shampoo to retain its shine (Ceramic treated car). But yes, battery drain is a concern.
Old 29th April 2020, 14:44   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Stopped the habit of idling the car in the garage, because I've had troubles later with my exhaust system - if you idle your petrol car for say 10 minutes from a cold start, it is not enough for the entire exhaust system to heat up and evaporate or expel any water condensation that happened within the pipes. (We know the byproducts of petrol burn!) My wife used to do 10-15 minute idling with our petrol car, one or two times a week, for about 2 months when I was away. The water that condensed within the pipes stayed there and it resulted in rusting. This manifested as several holes in the exhaust pipes and I had to change the entire exhaust pipe system.
Thanks for sharing this, its one more thing that tells me that there are plenty of unknowns when it comes to cars - using a car is one way to prevent a lot of problems with them.

In the byproducts of petrol burn, the water vapor content is probably 5 times more than atmospheric air, that is more than enough for good old rust to eat through the exhaust.

There is a lot of talk about modern cars do not need this and that etc, I really think its down to how much the user knows about the vehicle ! ignorance= modern bliss!
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 15:54   #143
Senior - BHPian

Considering I have been effectively housebound since around 18 march when we started working from home and have driven very short distances about thrice since then, my only real thing to protect the car has been washing it regularly just to prevent bird and tree droppings damaging the paint and body work. Also, since the car is stationary, I am pushing it a few cm forward or back every couple of days, in order to avoid flat spots on the tyres. I accidentally brought the cover for my alto (now sold) with the Fiesta, so covering it isn't an option. Think I need to run the car a bit more in order to prevent battery drain, let the fluids circulate and prevent rats settling in the engine.
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:10   #144
BHPian

My car is parked in the garage ever since the lockdown has started. I used to drive it regularly for commuting to office prior to the lockdown. Now to keep the car in perfect condition, I am starting the car and keeping it in idle for atleast 10 minutes. Repeating this process twice or thrice a week. Also taking care of the exterior by wiping off the dust.In between got a chance to go out and enjoy driving on the empty roads of Kolkata during lockdown.

How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-7.jpeg
Lockdown maintenance

How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-img_20200412_125428.jpg
Parked on the empty roads in Kolkata
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:19   #145
BHPian

We do have to take out the cars for grocery shopping from nearby standalone stores every 10-15 days during lockdown. The cars ends up running 2-3 km during the round trip and that's sufficient I guess. Also the car cleaner guy lives in the adjacent complex so he is able to regularly keep both the cars clean from outside even during lockdown.
Old 3rd May 2020, 19:37   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Dusted both cars with a dry cloth this morning - have been doing that once a week. Have also continued running the cars in our society for about 10-12 minutes or 3 km once a week.

This morning, the TPMS warned the air pressure was down - to 29 psi from the 34 which I normally maintain. Tried to fill air with a 12 V socket operated compressor caged from a friend - but all that happened was the compressor became hot without filling much air. My tires are 245/50 R18 - so perhaps, that was the problem. So finally gave up and took the car out - fortunately, our neighbourhood petrol pump was working including the air guy - so now have both cars inflated to normal levels which should last for a month or so. If anyone has recos for a portable compressor that works on such large tyres, please let me know - that will be a key post lock down purchase.
Old 3rd May 2020, 19:51   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
If anyone has recos for a portable compressor that works on such large tyres, please let me know - that will be a key post lock down purchase.
I got this, based on Viddy's suggestion.

Really happy with it; it fills in air real quick unlike those Windek or whatever that are very popular on the forum. Only downside: analog reading, and you can't set PSI/auto cut-off.

https://www.amazon.in/VIAIR-85P-Port.../dp/B0036E9VB6

Last edited by libranof1987 : 3rd May 2020 at 19:56.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 20:08   #148
BHPian

Washed and waxed my 2014 Polo GT TSI, took it out for a spin, after 46 days of being stationary and unwashed (covered parking). Used Sonax and a Spray wax. All normal. Half crank start (Amaron), no tyre pressure loss, no flat spots (Perfinza), butter smooth.

Last edited by d_himan : 3rd May 2020 at 20:11.
Old 3rd May 2020, 20:19   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Tried to fill air with a 12 V socket operated compressor caged from a friend - but all that happened was the compressor became hot without filling much air.If anyone has recos for a portable compressor that works on such large tyres, please let me know - that will be a key post lock down purchase.
Don't use unbranded ones, especially on premium cars. One of sockets on our 7 series melted. Thankfully, BMW changed it for free.

Try this, I am using for many months.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd May 2020 at 20:39.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 11:33   #150
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my tires are losing air very fast. Had dropped to 16 PSI within a month.

And this has happened with two tires (front).

Any reason for this? Puncture? The tires are not very old but have a few tubeless puncture repairs on them.

I somehow got them refilled them yesterday, but dont know why this is happening. Not happening with my 2 wheelers though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks