Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 13:15   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?

BLR has been experiencing spring storms and windy weather which really makes it pleasant for a short while at least!

However, I have a lot of trees nearby which have tiny leaves and they collect en masse in my windshield beadings. Really irritating to extract. Either they have to vacuumed out or poked out with a sharp object.

No option either as these collect, get wet and rot causing rust issues over a long time.

One more long term do!
Attached Thumbnails
How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-img_20200413_090848.jpg  

How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-img_20200413_090831.jpg  

How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-img_20200413_090823.jpg  

How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-img_20200413_090757.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th April 2020 at 13:38.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 22:55   #107
Senior - BHPian

Starting your car every 3-4 days is not the right approach IMO. You are draining it more instead of charging it. Every crank eats up a significant chunk of the charge and idling will not completely charge it as optimum charging current is generated by the alternator is at a specific RPM.

In the past, I had numerous scenarios when I didn't use cars for as long as a month or two and each time the cars (Even with a 3+year-old battery) started with a single crank without a sweat.
bluevolt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 11:51   #108
mxh
BHPian

How much time should the AC run? I haven't been doing it at all since I thought it would run down the battery. So far every 4 days I have been starting my car, then cleaning it for around 15 min and then taking it for 3-4 rounds of the building, using all windows and switching off. It is amazing how so many people don't even bother cleaning their cars, it makes me angry to see them rotting away.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 12:05   #109
BHPian

My Tiago's battery started playing up. It refused to start with a click, click sound. Hunted up the old Battery charger I had for my earlier cars. It is a home brewed 5 A charger. Found it buried under a pile of dust.
It took barely about an hour and the battery came back to life - just enough for the starter to work.

Now the drill is to hook up the charger once in a week for an hour for each car.
Old 14th April 2020, 18:46   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
How much time should the AC run? I haven't been doing it at all since I thought it would run down the battery. So far every 4 days I have been starting my car, then cleaning it for around 15 min and then taking it for 3-4 rounds of the building, using all windows and switching off. It is amazing how so many people don't even bother cleaning their cars, it makes me angry to see them rotting away.
Since you are taking the car for 3-4 rounds of the building, just drive with the AC on!. That should be good enough.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 20:16   #111
BHPian

My brother's car is parked on the street and the driver's side front tyre is punctured since last ten days. Will it cause any issue to the tyre if left unattended till 3rd May (or even beyond, who knows!)?
Old 14th April 2020, 21:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

There is risk of damage to the side wall. I am saying from my past experience. The best option is to replace the punctured tyre with spare tyre.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 06:55   #113
Senior - BHPian

I was just thinking of this topic and suddenly a thought crossed my mind.

I’m sure there are many here who park their cars in open space where dry grass would be present in plenty. Please keep in mind not to park cars / bikes over these dry grass during summer at all as I’ve heard few instances where dry grass is susceptible for igniting itself of heat generated during summer. This a serious threat to your vehicles.

So please keep in mind not to park over dry grass.

Thanks

RV

Last edited by gururajrv : 15th April 2020 at 07:10.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 07:32   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
No option either as these collect, get wet and rot causing rust issues over a long time.
Yes, this is highly frustrating indeed! You can try running water along the gap and sort of hope to flush the leaves out. That, or the sharp stick method.

Also, make sure you open the boot and wipe away any dead leaves on the top sill, just below the rear window. In larger sedans especially, this is a nice place for leaves, dust and other garbage to accumulate (you won’t believe how much comes out), though be careful of accidentally brushing the debris into the boot itself.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 08:12   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Yes, this is highly frustrating indeed! You can try running water along the gap and sort of hope to flush the leaves out. That, or the sharp stick method.

Also, make sure you open the boot and wipe away any dead leaves on the top sill, just below the rear window. In larger sedans especially, this is a nice place for leaves, dust and other garbage to accumulate (you won’t believe how much comes out), though be careful of accidentally brushing the debris into the boot itself.
Very right on all counts. I will try my powerful Karcher vacuum + air jet on it today, failing which the sharp stick method. The Octavia's massive notchback collects unbelievable amounts of dead leaves, as does the engine area near the strut mountings underneath the windshield corners. Will clean them all out.

The old raised rubber beadings used on windshields were uglier but did not have this issue.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 23:14   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
My brother's car is parked on the street and the driver's side front tyre is punctured since last ten days. Will it cause any issue to the tyre if left unattended till 3rd May (or even beyond, who knows!)?
Yes, it will damage the tyre's sidewall to the point that a simple puncture repair job won't fix it. Use jackstands so the whole weight doesnt rest on the wheels/suspension.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 22:39   #117
BHPian

I have 2 questions for this thread
1.From several sites and forums I have come to know that you shouldn't engage handbrake during the lockdown period as it can lead to rusting on discs.

But I have also heard before that in an automatic car you should always engage hand brake as not doing so may strain the locking pin and also cause long term damage to the gearbox.So a double whammy in this case??

2.Today my dad started the crysta after a long time and although it started fine, I feared the tyres may have developed flat spots after sitting there for so long.

My fear turned out to be true and the front 2 now have flat spots the rear tyres were good.It may have happened because of the front heavy setup and drop in tyre pressures as well.Any suggestions to fix these after lockdown without changing tyres?
Attaching the images belowHow are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-img_20200416_202733059.jpg

How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-img_20200416_202639942.jpg
TSIVTEC is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 00:28   #118
BHPian

Would keeping air pressure little more than the specified limit do the trick of protecting tyres, just like they do in godowns, don't they.
In fact I remember my vento having a pressure of 44psi out of showroom.
Old 17th April 2020, 11:10   #119
Senior - BHPian

By driving them.

My home is in a society with a big common plot. Our common plot has many trees. Every morning, I drive all my cars to this common plot and park it under the tree. I park it back to my home in the evening. This way my cars get shaded parking and they got driven on daily bases.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 13:55   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
I have 2 questions for this thread
1.So a double whammy in this case??

2.My fear turned out to be true and the front 2 now have flat spots the rear tyres were good.
Is there anything wrong with the tyres? From the picture, they look fine. A flat spot is when it is visibly misshapen and physically damaged to the point that it will wobble.

The parking pawl or pin will not get damaged when the same is applied when the vehicle is totally stationary and on a flat area. Just to make sure you can put a brick under the diagonally opposite front and back tyres, and then apply the parking brake.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks