Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 23:23   #31
BHPian

I have always got any repairs done infront of me, So I do get to see the OEM Packing and The replaced part is taken by me..!

Excell Motors-For Lancer- Has never charged more than Listed amounts, Infact like all OEM suppliers below the Listed MRP, In the past 6 years never charged extra amount for using Credit Card.

Vivek Tata-Fiat - For Palio and TATA- does not charge any extra amount for using Credit Card, Although I have seen that they insist to every Palio on service for Engine Oil Flush, Radiator Flush,Oil Treatment- Insisted on Engine Oil Flush for my XETA, But I said not yet..! Also allows Usage of self bought Engine Oil-Approved by TATA- Such as Mobil1,Castrol,Servo..!

TATA Siebel CRM system is in place at all TASC's now, So just like HM Mitsubishi,Your DATA follows you everywhere and anywhere you go. All Parts are Indented and Updated on the Account, You also recieve a call from TATA Mumbai after a week of any service done on the Car...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 13th March 2007 at 23:25.
Old 14th March 2007, 00:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Actually I never pay 2.5% for servicing my car ( nor do they ask ) but yes this is charged from you when you buy electronic goods. This is the amount ( usually 2% ) that the merchant is charged by CC ( machine ) which in turn is charged from customer.
Navdeep, I think you are mis-informed here. No one can charge anything extra over the MRP of the product. Only exception is petrol pumps. Even they are now exempting this charge.

You can buy anything using a credit card. Never pay a dime extra.
Old 14th March 2007, 00:43   #33
BHPian

I do insist that every part be unpacked and replaced in front of my eyes. The guys at shaman also allow any owner to enter the service area and see the car getting serviced.If im not mistaken, the price is printed on the packaging.For the Fiat guys,the genuine spare parts would always come in a box with fiat/alfa romeo/lancia logos printed on it.

Now I do recollect the price being printed on the box as well.But I cant remember if the price printed is inclusive or exclusive of taxes.If it is exclusive of taxes,then its fine.But if it is inclusive of taxes, then I think the service centres take us for a ride.I say that because the final bill will always have 12.5 % VAT added on the total price of spares procured for your car. 12.24 % service tax (which will very soon be 12.36%) is taken on the labour component,which is perfectly fine though.
Old 14th March 2007, 00:45   #34
BHPian

I can see a lot of people praising their service centers.

Just a little off topic: Is Shaman good for TATA cars? I need to take my XETA for 2nd service.

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 14th March 2007 at 00:47.
Old 14th March 2007, 01:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Maruti stations display cost of labor and spares for standard items prominently. And I've checked that the billing amount doesnt deviate from whats publicized
Yupp absolutely right !! I know what makes you say that and have seen it. MASS displays the cost of labour and spares(standard) for every car.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 14th March 2007 at 01:02.
Old 14th March 2007, 01:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
I can see a lot of people praising their service centers.

Just a little off topic: Is Shaman good for TATA cars? I need to take my XETA for 2nd service.
Yep Abdriver, Shaman is quite good for Fiat and Tata cars.I see a lot of Tata vehicles being serviced over there.

But here's the catch -
I'm going a bit off topic here,but since this thread is about ASC's cheating on the customer,I think its ok if I continue.
And I'm talking about shaman here.This is what happened to me 2 years back when I had a palio 1.2 nv.The service guys suspected a minor glitch with my ecu.Since I was right there,these guys gave me a brilliant offer.They said they could swap the ecu from another palio,thereby helping me save 10 big ones or so.All this for 200 bucks as 'kharchi-pani'.
wow,I have to agree that I was a bit tempted by the offer,but thankfully sanity prevailed and I declined eventually.
And its quite rampant with every service center,be it a maruti or a hyundai or whatever.There are a lot of low paid mechanics/trainees who would do anything to earn that extra buck from anywhere possible.It does'nt even take them a minute to swap expensive parts like the ecu with another car.
Its my earnest request that ever member of this community should try and take a leave from work or whatever to be with your loved one when it is getting serviced at the ASC.Insist that you want to see your car getting serviced.

Last edited by roms : 14th March 2007 at 01:36.
Old 14th March 2007, 05:32   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Its my earnest request that ever member of this community should try and take a leave from work or whatever to be with your loved one when it is getting serviced at the ASC.Insist that you want to see your car getting serviced.
Exactly what I do when my car goes for service. It is really worth the effort and you get to know your car better.
Old 14th March 2007, 09:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
I have always got any repairs done infront of me, So I do get to see the OEM Packing and The replaced part is taken by me..!
But then not all authorised service center allows the customer to be with the vehicle, instead asked to wait in the customer launge. Probably we have to insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Only exception is petrol pumps. Even they are now exempting this charge.You can buy anything using a credit card. Never pay a dime extra.
Think it really depends on the dealer. For example, Dakshin Honda (bangalore) does not charge 2.5% for the credit card payment, but Shirish does( Mahindra - bangalore) .
Old 14th March 2007, 09:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Sundaram Honda, Chennai charged Rs.450 for oil and charged Rs.500/- as labour for filling the oil.
I was some how convinced by high labour charges by Sundaram Motors, Chennai for the following reasons.

1. They are one of the most regulated service centre in south india.
2. Most of the labours are well experienced and in their 40s or 50s.
3. Sundaram pays very well to their labours (much higher than any other service centres in chennai).
4. Their quality of work usually amazing.
5. They will accept vehicle for service only after premilinary screening from the senior service man.
[For example, if an innocent customer asks them to change engine oil without knowledge of last oil change, service centre guys first inspect the oil condition, if it can be used few thousand kms more, they will advice the owner to come back after 2000 km or 3 months.]

Well, I trust Sundaram motors and I don't mind spending few 100 extra bucks for the labourers.

Last edited by prkothan : 14th March 2007 at 09:39.
Old 14th March 2007, 09:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan View Post
I was some how convinced by high labour charges by Sundaram Motors, Chennai for the following reasons.
But still I feel an oil change (half hour job?.) does not require high quality technicians and charging more than the cost of oil is at higher side.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:27   #41
BHPian

My experience with GM/OPEL dealer in Mumbai is good. I get to see empty packaging and they keep old parts in the boot. However, if TEAM-BHP can create a price list of our own it will be very useful. This can be developed over period and can be done incrementally model-wise. The information can be supplied by members when they get their cars serviced. Also is it possible/feasible to objectively rate dealerships by TEAM-BHP?
Old 14th March 2007, 10:55   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
it is that easy to cheat a discerning customer in these days of liberalisation. the customers are also so liberalised not to question the cheats. LOL
Sorry, I don't get the point you're trying to make here. Could you please explain?
Old 14th March 2007, 11:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

@hrag: Please read both the quotes in my post to get the context.

@all : The point is, if parts are said to be replaced & not, it will come to show very soon & you can always confront the service centre, but if they claim to have replaced oils or mixed an additive, there is no way of knowing it.
Old 12th October 2008, 11:31   #44
BHPian

Cheating of Dealers - Check your bills after service

Dealers of most of the manufacturers try to extract more money from each service or each billing.
Please check the bills after each service very carefully.
Points of over billing or over servicing.

Engine tuning - With EFI engines and discarding of carb engines, there is no way a engine tuning can be done. But dealer charge Rs250 to Rs 400 for engine tuning .

Wheel Alignment - Every service you take , let that be 5K or 10K service , whether it is a passenger car or utility vehicle dealer so wheel alignment and charge customer. Based on usage and problem symptom wheel alignment is necessary , but dealers make it mandatory at each service and charge Rs 300 to Rs 400. If you request to do WA , please ask for the wheel alignment print out. Dealer do charge for WA without even doing it.

Wheel balancing - Again it is necessary based on the points similar to wheel alignment. Check for the cost of balance weights in your invoice. Billing can go as high as 400gms of weight , which is very abnormal.

Tyre rotation:Tyre rotation charged seperately , when doing wheel balancing. !!!! for wheel balancing you remove the wheels from the car , then why dealers have to charge seperatly for rotation.

Greasing and lubricating - Front wheel lubrication , rear wheel lubrication , wheel greasing etc. Cost may vary from Rs 125 to Rs 250. Ask the dealer to show where they have greased or lubricated. Nowadays most of the vehicles comes with maintenance free, sealed bearing etc.

Washing - Please check , during free service most of the manf provide free washing , but still dealers will charge around Rs 300+ to customers.Some dealers charge washing and washing consumables seperately !!!

Consumables - Hmm this quite interesting. Lets say ... you go to a restaurant to eat. After you finish your food, you get a bill.
Roti -RS 50
Dal - Rs 20
Tissue paper - Rs 5
Tooth Pick - Rs 1
Finger Boul - Rs 2

Car Wash : If you had requested for special interior and exterior cleaning , otherwise it had to at no cost to customer.

Engine Oil and Filter - Few Dealers do not replace oil instead they just top-up, and charge for complete oil replacement.

Brake Pads : If replaced , request the dealer to show the old parts.

Hint: Check your car service bills carefully and if you see anything additional than requested, please get clarification.
Old 12th October 2008, 15:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
Brake Pads : If replaced , request the dealer to show the old parts.
They would probably show you some part from some other customers cars.

They are getting a hell lot of our hard earned money and still offer pathetic service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks