Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2020, 10:40   #16
BHPian

Re: May 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I expect car sales and manufacturing to resume and come up to 60% of pre COVID level soon. Considering this, the question will be how will the industry cope up with sustaining the salaries and wages of the workers.

There might some shift in trends over the long term:

1. Spike in small car sales as a second car
2. Over the long term, considering office travel may reduce, there may be an increase in the bigger "vacation/weekend" cars which can carry the entire family of 5-6 in a single go.

It will be interesting to see second-hand car sales in this period.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 10:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
2: These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Since SIAM provides data based on length only A (A1-A6 based on vehicle lengths)/B-Utility (w.r.t. both length and prices)/C-Vans (hard top/soft top) segment (as far as I know), wonder how segmentation based on car prices has been done! Would be great if someone can throw some light on this. Thanks.
Old 5th June 2020, 13:25   #18
BHPian

I feel there isn't much to read in these numbers.

I was reading this post and feel that winter is coming for Auto Industry Auto industry may fall out of gear this fiscal

Add low consumer confidence to this mix and it will be get worse.
Old 5th June 2020, 13:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hard numbers to look at. Guess it will take a few months to reach any sort of respectable levels. The entry segments will take longer to recover in my opinion.

On the plus side, few models that would have never had a chance to be in the top 20 can bask in the temporary glory of being there. . Also the nearly 4% Market Share by VW is probably a dream come true. I assume that is the highest since their entry to India.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
Maruti - ~37%, Hyundai - ~19%, Mahindra - ~10%, and TATA - ~9%.

This is how I would prefer the market to be in the long-term with lesser dominance and better competition.

Also good to see two 5* rated cars in top 10 (Altroz, XUV300) and two with hopefully better build qualities (Creta, Seltos).

And a good month for Altroz despite the lockdown. Hope it can continue.
I agree with Amit. This looks like healthy competition. And we consider Hyundai-Kia together, then it will keep Maruti on their toes.

Honda has declined highest with 95%. Not sure what the company is doing. They could have launched new Honda City by now, which can help them to gain some volumes.

Let's see the shuffling in position after the month of Jun.
fearless_IN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 14:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Since all factories were closed in April and actual production restarts have only happened around mid May, the numbers we see will be from OEM yard inventories and against confirmed orders.
Given their current cash flow position, dealers will be in no mood to place orders for vehicles without confirmed orders. It will be atleast 2 more months before we see some sort of stabilisation in the market.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 14:14   #22
BHPian

Interesting.
Can anyone throw some light on why the Mahindra Alturas G4 has not sold any nos. since March.
Old 5th June 2020, 15:11   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Interesting.
Can anyone throw some light on why the Mahindra Alturas G4 has not sold any nos. since March.
Pan India dealers must be having stock hence no fresh dispatches would have happened in March and even in this month.

Please remember these figures are not actual sales, they are the dispatch numbers from the factory to their respective dealerships.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 17:28   #24
BHPian

Hoping auto industry will gain its momentum gradually. VW Polo surprised me with its sales figure.
Despite being great cars, Ford Freestyle and Aspire are losing their market.
Old 5th June 2020, 18:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Hoping auto industry will gain its momentum gradually. VW Polo surprised me with its sales figure.
Despite being great cars, Ford Freestyle and Aspire are losing their market.
Certain feature deletions don't help the case. It's difficult to buy a car without android auto or carplay in this age. We may not miss it today. But we will have the car for a few years and that will be a feature missed at some point.

Polo, there's a new excitement about the engine. But Skoda launching the rapid at a lesser price will take some of the sales.
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 21:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
Certain feature deletions don't help the case. It's difficult to buy a car without android auto or carplay in this age. We may not miss it today. But we will have the car for a few years and that will be a feature missed at some point.
Our current car is not equipped with a android auto/apple carplay. However in next 1-2 years I plan to upgrade to a higher segment pre owned vehicle. One of my options doesn't have android auto despite being a recent car and that too D2 segment!
In this context, can you help me out by detailing how AA or Car play is critically important?
Old 6th June 2020, 18:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

A topsy-turvy, inverted, reversed, unusual and unseen ever list of best sellers with the Hyundai Creta, topping the list and the Ertiga peaking at # 2. Bolero is at # 4 and the DZire and Alto at # 3 and 9. Renault has one entry, Tata two and Mahindra three.

The Creta at # 1 and the Ertiga, Bolero, Seltos must all be on cloud nine as toppers ! It is quite similar to our summer school exam results, when a few meritorious students who were always on the top are afflicted by something like chicken pox (a summer woe) and are not able to do well. The students usually ranking 8, 10 or 15 fill the vacuum and take over the toppers positions for a once in a lifetime thrill !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th June 2020 at 18:30.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:34   #28
BHPian

I think Skoda's performance is very good. Good volume across all models. As for the other players, polo's number is very good. ( Even if we assume some of them are display/demo vehicles).
So this tells, niche products will always have some sort of a demand.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 20:27   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Our current car is not equipped with a android auto/apple carplay. However in next 1-2 years I plan to upgrade to a higher segment pre owned vehicle. One of my options doesn't have android auto despite being a recent car and that too D2 segment!
In this context, can you help me out by detailing how AA or Car play is critically important?
An understandable perspective.

There are plenty of old cars with beautiful dashboard and all is good until the old touchscreen lights up, nothing ages your Interior like an old infotainment display.

Touchscreen display, I wondered what good it is without Android auto or Car play, the usefulness of that Interface needs to be experienced, a retrofit is much needed.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 03:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The best way I can describe this is by comparing it to TVs. In-built navigation is like your regular smart TV. So whatever apps the manufacturer gives, and they may not be updated frequently to give the best performance and features. And they may only choose to support a select few that may or may not be relevant 5 years later. Android auto or carplay is like Chromecast. You can stream whatever you want on the tv as long as the app can send it and the tv can receive it.
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks