Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 10:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Never meet your heroes! Cars that you lusted after, but disappointed you

'Lusted' might be a strong word since that gets one's expectations very high and disappointment can come through very minor things. I would rather read experiences on cars that one was impressed with based on personal reasons/external influence and how that panned out.

Off topic, maybe a thread on the complete opposite scenario? Cars that seemed mediocre but ended up very capable in some of their offerings/features?
Old 13th July 2020, 11:17   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Tata Safari

The reclaim your life advertisement made me fall in love with the Safari. I drove it for the first time in 2014 and I was very disappointed. Apart from the comfortable seats there was nothing good about the car. Suspension was weird and the engine had noticeable lag. Thoroughly disappointed.

Honda City & Civic i-VTEC

I have been hearing all praises about both these cars. One drive later I was thoroughly disappointed. I love torquey engines and dislike engines which need to be pushed to get the car moving. Civic has a terrible low end and the City was no better. Both the cars had a relatively soft suspension setup. Only thing good was the steering feedback. Rest Both the cars were a big disappointment.

Renault Duster

I went for the TD with a fellow Bhpian. The ride quality was decent but the car didn’t feel like a 15 lakh rupee car. The interior quality and layout were just above average, ergonomics were a big mess and I am not too fond of the 110PS 1.5 DCi. The low end is disappointing. Yeah the awd was a bit better but the fwd version had a terrible clutch.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:45   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I can list few experiences of mine where the reality steered very clear of my expectations!

Tata Safari
It has been the dream car for quite a few of us. Like others have mentioned, I had my first go at the Safari 2 years ago, that too on a 10 year old 3.0L Dicor. I couldn't have been more scared (or scarred) after driving a car. It rolled like there was no tomorrow, pitched like a humble servant bowing to its master and accelerated like....*yawn* and my dreams crashed!

Mahindra Scorpio
I have driven a 2010 MHawk VLX variant quite extensively when it was brand new. The handling aside, I loved that engine for sure. However one day I made a mistake. I had returned after a 650 km round trip in a Pajero SFX and the next day, I had to drive this Scorpio back on the same route. That back to back drive between these two vehicles made me realize where the Scorpio stood in terms of handling the good and bad roads! Price points are different but I never thought the experience would be so different.

Skoda Octavia
Another dream car - the 1st gen. Long, stately and I could imagine all luxury in there. This car made me realize that a huge car can still manage to not have decent cabin space! I am a 6fter and I can't fit in the driver/passenger seats even when they are pushed all the way back. Same goes about the rear seat. Luxury was a far sight.

Royal Enfield Bullet
Grew up looking at people who took pride about their Bullet. A friend bought a new Classic 350 and insisted that I ride it once. A short ride for few kms and I couldn't understand how a new generation, all new bike can be so crude.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 12:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

RE Bullet While I still like its old school looks, it is too too crude, slow and irritating to ride. I am big fan of refinement. Yes it has it's cult following, and maybe you have to own one before you comment. However I have ridden it plenty of times and wanted desperately to like it, but that never happened. It remained an over-hype for me.

JTP Twins: Had gone to the showroom armed with a chequebook to seal the deal. Thank god I took an extensive test drive. Came back utterly disappointed. The horrible turbo lag, lack of basic features and also the pickup flat out didn't feel like a huge difference from my Ignis which even though much cheaper had more 'usable' features and a gem of a K12 engine which you can revv the nuts out. I wasn't willing to take a depreciation hit of a six month old car and then the additional you pay for the JTP for negligible bump in driving pleasure and a sporty exhaust. It definitely didnt feel like 30bhp more. It will be fun on the highways am sure, but to potter around the city and daily office drives in Bangalore (thats where I was then) it will be irritating.

Mahindra Thar Always wanted to buy a 4WD and go to places which a 2WD will have immense difficulty in going and places with snow. I didn't want to do extreme off-roading. Budget was 15L. First choice was Thar. Have drooled over it for few years actually. Sat in it, placed my hands on the awkwardly positioned steering (reminded me the day I drove an actual bus), the non existent interiors and then stepped out. Didn't bother to take a TD. This car is not even worth 5L and people complain about interiors and ergonomics of other cars. Fast forward few months, again went to try it, convince myself that this is best option. Took a long drive around this time. Sorry no can do. I can't torture myself like this on a trip. I love comfort. Booked a Duster 4WD. Much much better for my requirements for a few of Lakhs more and within my budget.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 13th July 2020 at 13:08.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 16:07   #50
BHPian

I have only two dream cars - both SUVs and both remained dream till the day I drove. I even dreamt the exact accessories, color etc.

1. Scorpio - Rocky beige color but with white steel wheels (similar to the ones on new defender 90.
2. Fortuner, 2009-11 one Mica gray color.

Both had similar issues - bad handling, relatively poor braking, overall bumpiness on all types of roads, nauseating body roll, everything seemed to vibrate. I must confess I had mostly been driving petrol sedans and hatchbacks till then.

I still love them both and have a smile when ever I see them on the road ; but I know I won't ever buy them.
snan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 19:46   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
Please don't get mad at me for flinging mud at sacred cows.
10 on 10. Absolutely agree with all 10 cars you have highlighted. Truly disappointing IMHO.
Old 13th July 2020, 22:14   #52
BHPian

4th gen Honda city. Still have it.

Lousy suspension: Does not absorb any bumps at low speeds. In fact amplifies them with a quick rebound. You would think a stiff suspension would make the car a handler. Disappointed again. Highway manners are just passable.

Light build: Paper thin outer skin. I bet your 10 year old kid can dislodge the bumper by a simple kick. Take a look at any 4 the gen city which is more than 3-4 years old. 99% chance you will see some-kind of bumper mis-alignment.

Shameless cost cutting: The rear boot has no cover. Enough said.

Poor quality: Look at review thread of the 4th gen city for the niggles people had. Rattles from the dashboard/ringing sound from the alternator belt/water collecting in the rear foot well to name a few.

Poor NVH: Prominent wind/tyre noise in the cabin. The petrol engine noise is non-intrusive. That is more to do with the engine's refinement rather than sound insulation of the cabin. My Marrazo is more silent at 90 kmph than the city at 60 kmph.

Last edited by JediKnight : 13th July 2020 at 22:16.
JediKnight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 00:57   #53
BHPian

RE Himalayan

Before the lockdown, I was narrowing down a new, do it all bike. Himalayan was on top of the list because every Video review online were going gaga over its riding comfort. Despite owning 3 different bullets including a modern Electra, and despite having had to tie up my ride thrice on the back of an Ape Cargo, I was ready to try my luck. Rented a Bs4 Himalayan from Royal Brothers and off I went, only to realize within 10 kms that most reviews should have been paid. The soft seat made sure i felt every undulations on the road and riding as a pillion is very close to a biking nightmare. I'll drool over the looks, but never think of buying what RE tries to sell through their over the top feel good manly Nomadic advertisements. I met my hero, and hated him.

Bought a slender, underpowered, single owner, 1990 RX100 which still makes my fat bum ache, but doesnt try to be something its not. Still fun for the first 50 kms and for fraction of the price.
sreeJiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 17:16   #54
BHPian

My list of Cars that I lusted and bought

Mahindra Bolero SLX (2007)
A true blood tractor with turbo. Invested in Bilsteins, rear wheel spacers, CFLs but I realized that nothing could change the inherent genes of its (non)designer. Totaled it in 2011 by having a head on collision with a Bus on the highway and vowed never to get involved with the Jeep Fixation

Mahindra Thar 700 (2019)
Boys will be boys I guess. Despite all the miseries of my previous mahindra debacle, I got myself the limited Thar edition 4 x 4 aka Thar 700 in 2019. The cycle has started again. Rear spacers, Nano suspension, plywood for sound proofing the soft top and what nots. I hate the rusting bolts, the misaligned steering, the difference between the front and the rear track, the leaking windshield that collects on the floor even at the slightest of showers, the water splashing onto the windshield for every puddle on the road, the noise of the soft top flapping on speeds exceeding 60Kmph, the body pain after every long drive... The list is endless.
Here's the deal though. I have a Cruze and I have extensively travelled in various luxury segment sedans.Till date, nothing matches the emotions that the Thar evokes among the common people that you see on the roads. I have encountered strangers walking up to me and striking up conversations just to grab a closer look. Even my two sons go ballistic every time we take the Thar out for a ride.
I guess it's a guy thing and we think way lower than our hearts. Lust is indeed a very powerful emotion and I guess we being motor heads will never change. At least I wont
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 12:41   #55
BHPian

1. Tata Nano:
I was expecting it to be light and peppy (like the Santro ZipPlus). However, It was the most unrefined driving experience of my life. I drove a colleague's Nano around Goa for about 15 mins, since its the only one I have driven, I wasn't sure if he just maintained it badly or if thats how the car feels, either way it completely killed my image of the car.

2. Mahindra Thar
I was obsessed with the Mahindra Thar, I think it's one of the nicest looking SUV's to exist. I didn't have very high expectations when it came to driving comfort but I was still disappointed, and this was on the top-end variant.

3. Ignis AMT
What a good looking car with such a terrible AMT. Manual is the way to go for this. Also interiors don't do justice to the exterior. For a car costing 9 Lakhs, I find it's design to be low effort, especially compared to something like a i20 which costs about the same.
heatednemz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

1. First would be the Mercedes W140. I always lusted after the beast and it turns my head even today. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it was a fabulous car in the '90s. But it is almost impossible to find a well-aged example in India. Whichever I drove looked gangster, but drove like a tired, old grandfather living on 20 pills a day. A VW Passat would outperform it on any parameter. Dropped any buying plans right away and realised that some cars are just meant to be ogled at...not brought home.

2. Next up, the original Tata Safari. It had an imposing presence and such a crazy fan following. When I finally drove it, I was like . Among the worst handling cars I've driven in my life, even by SUV standards. The erstwhile Sierra Turbo was far superior to drive.

3. My own Mahindra Classic . Loved the iconic Jeep styling, while all the (biased) mag reviews then praised it. Bought mine without a test-drive. After taking delivery, I remember going to pick my then girlfriend up. It was (is) slow, noisy and had terribly bumpy ride quality. No air-conditioner on that hot night and I was already sweating in my party shirt. Was wondering how the heck am I going to live with it? Honestly, a part of me did regret buying it then. Little did I know how it'll endear itself to me over the years. 23 years of ownership up!
A Passat cannot perform better than a well maintained w140 except may in accererlation or braking.

These old benz s have lot of rubber components in the suspension and steering which would be worn out, and shocks too. W140 also has rubber bushes for the sub frame. The steering is not rack and pinion , they were designed to keep away the G forces which come with sharp steering, sharp brakes, hard ride , hard seats and 1 st gear starts. You can try out a better example and do a classic road test , it would be interesting. All the above can be fixed easily to get rid of the tiredness, things to worry are electricals , interiors and drive line.

Passat or e class would feel like driving a plywood board on wheels.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 15th July 2020 at 13:03.
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:17   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
Please don't get mad at me for flinging mud at sacred cows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Tata Safari

Honda City & Civic i-VTEC

Renault Duster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I can list few experiences of mine where the reality steered very clear of my expectations!
Man,

All of you in this thread have been so thoroughly brutal And all this time, I thought I was the blunt instrument

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that literally 95% of the market in India is filled with over-priced tin cans with engines that are fit for nothing other than lawn mowers.

You can attribute that to the 4 M rule; or you can say that we don't need big engines for our congested cities; and you can even say that most of a vehicle's price consists of government levied taxes and surcharges. Whatever the reason may be; the fact remains that we pay through our noses for cars that are utterly crap in every department - performance, comfort and safety. This is the absolute truth.

Check out these reviews for two bread and butter mini-vans in the US. Then go and check out their prices. Convert that to INR and compare it to the Innova or the Hexa or the XUV500 or even the new Vellfire. Then, sit back and be amazed as to how we are being taken for a ride in India -

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:16   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Man,

All of you in this thread have been so thoroughly brutal And all this time, I thought I was the blunt instrument
Well, you have got company sir!

I must say, I was simply smitten by the Tata Safari since its launch days. Paper cuttings, drawings, downloading the Safari ads from internet cafes - been there, done that. However I never made an attempt to drive one since I couldn't afford it. And when I drove it, my mistake that it was a decade old not so well maintained piece. I was bound to be disappointed!

That said, I still respect the Safari every time I see one on the road - childhood love won't die so easily. I love the Hexa too and have always drooled over it. I can't afford a new one but would have surely considered a pre-owned Hexa but I didn't have the use case for it. It's too big for me and I don't need 7 seats.

Quote:
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that literally 95% of the market in India is filled with over-priced tin cans with engines that are fit for nothing other than lawn mowers.
True. Most of it should be attributed to our obsession with fuel efficiency. It's only recently that we have started looking for performance.

P.S.: I still remember those days when people were frugal with the air-conditioner usage as it reduced the FE.

P.P.S: I never had a tin-can in my list of heroes.

Quote:
You can attribute that to the 4 M rule; or you can say that we don't need big engines for our congested cities; and you can even say that most of a vehicle's price consists of government levied taxes and surcharges. Whatever the reason may be; the fact remains that we pay through our noses for cars that are utterly crap in every department - performance, comfort and safety. This is the absolute truth.
Almost half of it is just taxes!

Refer this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...arges-etc.html (Indian Car "On-Road Pricing" explained : Ex-showroom prices, taxes, registration charges, etc)

Or this post of mine where I have broken up the cost of my last car purchase:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4695570

Last edited by ashis89 : 21st July 2020 at 12:40. Reason: Spell check!
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

For me it was my Tata Tigor. Wanted a new automatic for my daily commutes and decided to go for the Tigor. Things that made me choose the brand were good safety rating for their cars like Zest, YouTube fan boys being all praise for the brand, countless articles showing Tata cars crashing into other "tin-can" brand cars.

I was totally ready for a car that was going to protect me in any situation and never let me down, was even okay with the AMT box as a compromise. After booking, people with less safer cars looked like people who make poor decisions in life.

All this changed once I went to take delivery. Delivery experience was extremely poor, dashboard rattle started within few days, fuel lid wouldn't open and few more niggles. Even then I was okay with the issues as I expected a few.

Two things made me sell it off, one was ASS experience. They would brush everything off saying all Tigors have this issue! Second was the 1.2L engine's inability to overtake anything. On single lane highways car just would struggle to overtake anything and often put me in dangerous situations, this made me realise that safety was not just NCAP rating, car should be good enough to not put us in risky situation too.

Hope Tata uses the COVID situation to improve their brand and concentrate on things other than just passive safety.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 21st July 2020 at 12:49.
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 15:05   #60
BHPian

A list of cars from my end:

1) Ford Endeavour 2.5 Adventure 4x2: This was in 2010. My father was given a golden coloured 4x2 Endeavour Adventure as his company vehicle when he was working as a COO and Vice President of a Shipping and Ship repair company in Chennai. I asked the driver to let me drive it for a day as I loved its butch presence. Disappointed on many fronts. The ride quality was nothing short of being in a tipper truck (in the front. Imagine the rear), the dashboard looked like it came out of a Qualis, the engine was too loud, the long rear made it a pain to park it into tight spots and the car had an oversteering tendency especially during long turns. This oversteering tendency made it almost unsettled and felt like it was going to topple.

2) Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD 75 hp: I have owned this beauty in Germany for almost 2 years. I have always lusted after owning a Punto as I consider her the most beautiful hatchback I have ever seen. Just couldn't let go of an offer and picked one up as my daily college run about in Germany. The driving position. Less said, the better. Plagued with electrical gremlins right from day one of purchase (this was as soon as the TüV inspection was done). The lights had a mind of its own. Sometimes the fog lamps and sometimes the turn signal would stop working. The turbo made a great noise but the progress was never good. The gearbox rubbery and the brakes were grabby. The only saving grace was the handling! She was an absolute dream when it came to driving up and down the hills.

3) Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D Full time four wheel drive: The very first iteration of the Fortuner. This was in 2011. I somehow managed to convince my father to take a look at the Fortuner as our next car. My father said that we can consider it only if I was willing to drive it. He is not a huge fan of SUVs. He likes long and low cars. I said, fair enough and took a test drive of a silver Fortuner. I even made up my mind on the colour. It was to be a pearl white (limited edition colour). Loved the butch looks and presence. Stepped inside and the biggest disappointment was the interior! Felt like a top end Innova V. The dancing gear lever made it even worse. Started driving and instantly liked the addictive torque rush. Great engine. Decided to stop for the signal. The car failed to stop behing the zebra crossing. Felt like a fool. The ride quality although slightly better than my father's company car, the Endeavour, was still very bad and the steering felt almost lifeless. It was heavy but too indirect. My father asked me how it was and with a heavy heart, I said it isn't that great to drive and I can't imagine driving more than 100 to 200 kms at a stretch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks