Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 13:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo 1.2L petrol to get a torque-converter AT in Aug '20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is a nice little motor. A key advantage of the small triple-cylinder over the old Figo 1.5L AT will be its fuel economy. That is especially important to hatchback owners.
Thanks for this comment GTO, however how would you rate the Ford 3 Cylinder pot against lets say - Tiago ? I know for sure TC AT will be better than AMT but what about the motor itself.
I am specifically interested in Vibration and Perfromance ?

My Hyundai NIOS delivery is getting delayed forever, all i asked was give me a newly manufactured car from May / June batch and i am still waiting till today for any update on the delivery. I am now seriously considering alternate AT options including Honday Jazz AT, or if Figo AT is released. I would have opted for Tiago but my Wife didnt like the looks so no approval from Head office.
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 13:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Well, according to what I know from very reliable sources, Ford has three cars in the offing next year. First one is the Creta/Seltos competitor, second one is a premium hatch/ sedan and the third one is an entry level hatch positioned below Figo. I am hoping it’s true so that at least I am in a position to decide for a hatch better in the upcoming months.

Now either my sources are good or I will have some egg on my face. But this auto motor for Figo is a good bet in a mileage conscious segment for sure !
Yes i guess you are right. Previously when my Dad used to own a Fiesta, we made a good connection with Ford Service Manager in Navi Mumbai. He is still our friend even though we do not own any more Ford Vehicles.
He did mention it to me that Ford is readying a Compact SUV which will sit above Ecosport in their lineup. It should be introduced in early 2021. He was not sure if it would be made in collaboration with Mahindra though.
Old 21st July 2020, 15:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
He was not sure if it would be made in collaboration with Mahindra though.
As per the autocar report, XUV400 and ford C segment SUV will be based on same platform

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...latform-415102
Old 21st July 2020, 17:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post

This offering of the 1.2 Lt with auto transmission better have Android Auto & apple Car Play offered, or else this connectivity may prove to be chink in the armour for the new product line as almost all competition offer those today.
Forget it. Sync 3 was never in the Figo to start with. Ford has even removed Sync 3 from Freestyle, Aspire and the Ecosport T+ models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
how would you rate the Ford 3 Cylinder pot against lets say - Tiago ? I know for sure TC AT will be better than AMT but what about the motor itself.
I am specifically interested in Vibration and Perfromance ?
I have driven the motor in Freestyle and the Tiago's motor in Altroz. In that perspective, these are quite different engines. The Ford's engine is peppy and has a solid mid range compared to the Altroz and the same is reflected in the 11 additional horses. In terms of NVH, both are 3 cylinders and noisy at higher engine speeds. The main difference is that Altroz's lack of responsiveness at the higher RPMs combined with the noise makes it a bit tiring to hear while the peppiness of the Ford 1.2 gives the noise a sporty touch. You will enjoy driving the Ford 1.2 much more than the Tiago's engine.

Last edited by SansGT : 21st July 2020 at 17:51.
SansGT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 21:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
I have driven the motor in Freestyle and the Tiago's motor in Altroz. In that perspective, these are quite different engines. The Ford's engine is peppy and has a solid mid range compared to the Altroz and the same is reflected in the 11 additional horses. In terms of NVH, both are 3 cylinders and noisy at higher engine speeds. The main difference is that Altroz's lack of responsiveness at the higher RPMs combined with the noise makes it a bit tiring to hear while the peppiness of the Ford 1.2 gives the noise a sporty touch. You will enjoy driving the Ford 1.2 much more than the Tiago's engine.
I agree.
1. Ford engine has better NVH than Tata. One enjoys revving Ford more than Tata.
2. I observed that Ford engine has better mid-range and top end, and weak bottom end. Good highway car traits. In city, either be patient or downshift frequently.
3. Tata engine is a long stroke engine with good bottom and mid-range torque. Good city car traits.

I, being obsessed with bottom-end torque, would prefer Tata engine, despite of its limitations.

I guess Figo AT will have poor city efficiency due to weak bottom end and Torque Converter AT. It will keep the car in lower gear most of the time.
On the other hand it will be a great highway car despite of just 1.2 litre engine, due to good mid-range and the 6th gear. Good performance and FE. Not to mention segment best dynamics.
I won’t be surprised if it’s highway efficiency is more than MT.
However, Torque Converter AT will increase cost by 80k-100k and weight by around 25 kg.

MOD NOTE -
Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd July 2020 at 21:18.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 21:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
I guess Figo AT will have poor city efficiency due to weak bottom end and Torque Converter AT. It will keep the car in lower gear most of the time.
To quote the Autocar article: "a torque-convertor automatic gearbox firms up throttle response at low engine speeds (by multiplying torque), and this should help the Figo feel more responsive to a tap on the throttle".

Quote:
Not to mention segment best dynamics.
Well, Polo for me is the car with the best dynamics in this segment while the Figo would be a second. (Especially the new Figo doesn't replicate the dynamics of the good old generation Figo).
SansGT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 22:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
I understand the present Figo had one model with the 1.5 Lt petrol engine and auto transmission.

This offering of the 1.2 Lt with auto transmission better have Android Auto & apple Car Play offered, or else this connectivity may prove to be chink in the armour for the new product line as almost all competition offer those today.
Well, this might be a wishful thinking given the fact that they have removed Sync3 from the Aspire and Freestyle. When enquired about the lack of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in the lower models of Ecosport the sales advisor told that as per the survey conducted by the Ford, the customers doesn’t put the requirement of these connectivity features higher.
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:30   #23
BHPian

The news that we are getting a Figo with a Torque Converter (again) has just thrown my thought process of getting a Skoda Rapid Rider (after lots of considerations) out of the park.
I love the way Figo drives, it’s a brilliant little hatch, love black highlights on white colour in Blu edition, now with the comfort of a TC.
Rapid’s 1.0 TSI (yet to take a test drive) is yum among 1 litre turbos, with added bonus of rear seat comfort with armrest & ac blower (99.99% I would never sit & get to enjoy, as I’m the only driver of my family of two).
Same old debate, Hot Hatch vs Sleeper (in current segment).

Neo
Old 22nd July 2020, 15:34   #24
BHPian

Compare other things like ASS and service costs. Skoda never inspired confidence. I am in a similar dilemma , Ford vs VAG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
The news that we are getting a Figo with a Torque Converter (again) has just thrown my thought process of getting a Skoda Rapid Rider (after lots of considerations) out of the park.
I love the way Figo drives, it’s a brilliant little hatch, love black highlights on white colour in Blu edition, now with the comfort of a TC.
Rapid’s 1.0 TSI (yet to take a test drive) is yum among 1 litre turbos, with added bonus of rear seat comfort with armrest & ac blower (99.99% I would never sit & get to enjoy, as I’m the only driver of my family of two).
Same old debate, Hot Hatch vs Sleeper (in current segment).

Neo
I test drove the 1.5 AT last year and it was a hoot to drive. Though I was driving aspire but the NVH levels were better than 1.2. Pickup and in-gear acceleration was amazing.
I do not like automatics though. Fuel economy must be better on 1.2 though.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd July 2020 at 15:42. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

While I am glad that Ford is re-introducing that AT variant, Diesel AT could have pulled even more customers to their showrooms.

Regarding the old 1.5 AT's FE, I have been getting 10+kmpl under all conditions, thanks to the lower weight compared to the Ecosport.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:37   #26
BHPian

I'm driving Ecsoport with 1.5 AT. I don't have any complaints with this Torque Converter (TC) unit other than mild lag under quick accelerations maneuvers. With AC always on, I'm getting 10km/l in Chennai city traffic and around 13km/l in highway conditions. I believe Manual variants offer +10-15% better FE so the TC isn't awfully inefficient.

With lot less weight to lug around and a fuel efficient engine, Figo 1.2 AT is exactly what an urban commuter would want.
vaasscit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
To quote the Autocar article: "a torque-convertor automatic gearbox firms up throttle response at low engine speeds (by multiplying torque), and this should help the Figo feel more responsive to a tap on the throttle".

Yes, Autocar mentioned it, but I doubt whether torque converter can compensate weak bottom end, since the torque available felt very feeble to be multiplied to significant value. Great, if it really does so.

Well, Polo for me is the car with the best dynamics in this segment while the Figo would be a second. (Especially the new Figo doesn't replicate the dynamics of the good old generation Figo).
Although both are sorted cars, while comparing dynamically, IMHO both cars match on handling front, however, Figo edges ahead in ride quality and steering feel. Polo felt more unsettled on undulating roads and steering is devoid of feedback.

Yes, Autocar mentioned it, but I doubt whether torque converter can compensate weak bottom end, since the torque available felt very feeble to be multiplied to a significant value. Great, if it really does so.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd July 2020 at 21:10. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Compare other things like ASS and service costs. Skoda never inspired confidence. I am in a similar dilemma , Ford vs VAG. I test drove the 1.5 AT last year and it was a hoot to drive. Though I was driving aspire but the NVH levels were better than 1.2. Pickup and in-gear acceleration was amazing.
I do not like automatics though. Fuel economy must be better on 1.2 though.
Yes, the after sale service & resale value are nothing to write home about for both Ford & Skoda. At least with Ford now fixing the pricing for spares & service gives some hope.

And let me add into the mix:
1. Tata Nexon XM. With a good 1.2 turbo petrol. GC eliminates all worries.
2. Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Turbo. A brilliant turbo with fuss free ownership.

Picking a car under 10 lacs has never been so complicated.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Although both are sorted cars, while comparing dynamically, IMHO both cars match on handling front, however, Figo edges ahead in ride quality and steering feel. Polo felt more unsettled on undulating roads and steering is devoid of feedback.
Agreed about the steering. It doesn't have that feel but it is direct and weighs up at higher speeds.
But whatever it lags, it over compensates with the amazing TSI motor. That alone puts it as the most fun to drive hatch in the segment. It's really hard to consider any other car in this segment if you have got a taste of this motor.
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:42   #30
ARG
BHPian

I'd looked at the Figo 1.5 diesel MT, as a replacement for my Swift 1.2 petrol MT, & just "luvvv"ed it!! However, my partner vetoed the buy, as she insisted on an AT.

Then Covid19 happened, & changed the way we look at things! Our buy call kept gently bouncing off the walls, sort-of settling on the Ignis 1.2 petrol AMT, earlier in Jul.

Now, with the Figo 1.2 petrol AMT & the Polo 1.0 TSI AMT, both, announced for Aug/Sep, we'll happily wait a bit more!!

I've driven the Ford auto earlier, on a 1.5 petrol Ecosport, & pretty much loved it. Keeping my fingers crossed! The VW AMT is an unknown, to me.

I wish Ford'd put an auto, in that brilliant Figo 1.5 diesel, though!!!
ARG is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks