Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbo engine?
Hyundai Kappa 1.0 Turbo GDI 104 19.96%
Volkswagen / Skoda 1.0 TSI 330 63.34%
Maruti Suzuki 1.0 BoosterJet 16 3.07%
Ford 1.0 EcoBoost 64 12.28%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.34%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2020, 15:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India

Have driven only Hyundai's and Ford Ecoboost. Voted for Ford. It's a good engine. I used to carpool with a friend pre-covid who has ES Petrol Ecoboost (Not sure which variant). My Tata Nexon's Revotron is admittedly not as smooth.
Old 23rd July 2020, 15:17   #32
RBR
BHPian

Voted for the VW/Skoda 1.0L TSI

The car doesn't feel over-burdened by the smaller 1.0L engine in the city runs. While there is a fair measure of wait before the turbocharger offers its spout of power at around 2,000 rpm, the car doesn't feel lazy or sluggish under 2,000 rpm, however certainly feels significantly more dexterous and agile post that engine speed.
Old 23rd July 2020, 15:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Voted for VW 1.0 TSI.

Going through the thread, I am intrigued! Trying out Hyundai's turbo GDI as soon as the things get back to normal. Even without the TD, it has to be one of the best as it has the backing of three moderators (GTO, Chetan_Rao and CrAzY_dRiVeR).
What I can't wrap my head around is EcoBoost having the least votes! It was the first in it's segment and has been around for a decade, heck should have atleast been above MS BoosterJet.
I have experienced the 1.0 TGDI in the venue and the 1.0 ecoboost in the ecosport. Honestly I didn't find the ecoboost to be anything spectacular. Maybe in the likes of the aspire/figo/freestyle it may have been a great choice. but in the heavy ecosport, neither is the power anything great, nor is its fuel efficiency. Where as the venue turbo felt more eager to rev and peppy too.

Another issue was that the ecoboost being a fully imported engine, it was not possible to price it competitively despite being sub 1.2 and <4m.

Just my 2p ..

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 23rd July 2020 at 16:02.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 16:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I have experienced the 1.0 TGDI in the venue and the 1.0 ecoboost in the ecosport. Honestly I didn't find the ecoboost to be anything spectacular. Maybe in the likes of the aspire/figo/freestyle it may have been a great choice. but in the heavy ecosport, neither is the power anything great, nor is its fuel efficiency. Where as the venue turbo felt more eager to rev and peppy too.
Spot on! I completely agree.

I was pretty sure it's not better than TSI or TGDI but when I voted, the EcoBoost had just one vote, which was less than the BoosterJet (I think it was 3).

With the current ranking based on poll, I feel content.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:02   #35
Team-BHP Support

One of the biggest grouses about a small displacement 3-pot turbocharged engine so far here, was the pathetic low end which singlehandedly ruined the driving experience and usability of the engine in multiple conditions. The ecoboost engine from Ford was very lukewarm in that sense, and the Boosterjet was average at best.

With times changing and better engines coming out, the shift is happening from just bragging about a compact engine 'doing the job' with the Ecoboost era (in India), to the recent ones like the Hyundai's T-GDI and Volkswagen's 1.0 TSI which also address the driveability and low end grunt issues by producing their peak torque very early in the rpm range, so in effect they are slowly moving towards allowing the driver to have the (3-pot) cake and eat it (enthusiast fun) too.

Hyundai's T-GDI is perhaps the most refined among the options listed here and I'd have been tempted to vote for that purely for the refinement and output numbers, but to extract more fun out of the car, I'd go with VW's 1.0 TSI simply because the car offers better dynamics to boot, and that is something which goes hand in hand with the engine.

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd July 2020 at 17:03.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:06   #36
BHPian

Had to vote for the Hyundai T-GDi as its the only turbo petrol car we have owned and driven. Coming from the 1.5 iVTEC from out previous car the City, the car has some lag in the bottom end, but the DCT masks it well enough and when it approaches the midrange, overtaking is a breeze and just shoots forward. Hope to drive the VW TSI though as have heard a lot of good things about it.
Old 23rd July 2020, 22:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Any Forum member can comment on the reliability of these engines at or after 100k km?
Most Americans aren't happy with the downsized turbo engines and consider them junk.
Old 24th July 2020, 07:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

The 1.0 turbo petrol is the perfect fit for India.

Low displacement ensures less fuel burning while idling for hours in traffic; that turbo spool to zoom ahead faster than others later to brake at the next signal.

I would also profusely like to thank the visionary - the Govt of India, for mercilessly thrashing high displacement engines with high taxation and insurance premiums for this to happen.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 07:52   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I would also profusely like to thank the visionary - the Govt of India, for mercilessly thrashing high displacement engines with high taxation and insurance premiums for this to happen.
I hope you are saying this sarcastically. The government’s mindless legislation regarding engine capacities and car lengths have played a major part in the stagnation of the sub 10 L car scene where every manufacturer churns out iterations of the same car in different guises. All cars are more or less the same underneath.

Also, let’s be clear that the current deluge of small capacity direct injection turbo petrols is because of emission compliance and the CO2 reduction targets that are mandatory in developed market. Neither Hyundai nor VW or Ford developed these advanced engines primarily for the Indian market.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 11:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

As an owner of the Ford Ecosport Ecoboost, would agree as someone rightly said, the engine is in the wrong car. Maybe this would have made more sense in a low slung hatch like the Figo.

The engine puts out 123 horses on paper but doesnt feel that way on the road. Its refined, yes. Very poor low end with bad FE coupled with a shitty gearbox fails to deliver.

I love the Ecosport for what it offers however the Tdci is much better for this car than the Ecoboost.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Any Forum member can comment on the reliability of these engines at or after 100k km?
Most Americans aren't happy with the downsized turbo engines and consider them junk.
The GDI engines even without the forced injection are prone to carbon build up in the valves. Over time, it causes gunk build up, timing chain issues and eventually failures. That's the reason for the hate. Toyota is the only manufacturer to address this with port injection to lubricate the intake valves.
ramkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 22:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
As an owner of the Ford Ecosport Ecoboost, would agree as someone rightly said, the engine is in the wrong car. Maybe this would have made more sense in a low slung hatch like the Figo.

The engine puts out 123 horses on paper but doesnt feel that way on the road. Its refined, yes. Very poor low end with bad FE coupled with a shitty gearbox fails to deliver.

I love the Ecosport for what it offers however the Tdci is much better for this car than the Ecoboost.

Cheers,
Raj
All the negative comments on the EcoSport EcoBoost, I can't help but wonder, whether they are from experiencing the previous version, with a 5 speed box or with the newer version, with the better 6 speed box and much better low end tuning. I guess people who aren't quite happy with it are those who have driven the previous one.
Old 27th July 2020, 00:21   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

I've started appreciating simpler things in life, like the 1.5 Naturally Aspirated engine. We could have had some beautiful hatchbacks in 1.5 avatar if it weren't for the stupid 1200cc rule.
What is the 1200cc rule?
Old 27th July 2020, 10:03   #44
BHPian

Owning a tjet, I have become a fan of turbo-petrols. Have not driven any other turbo-petrol. Going by the reviews and opinions, the rapid turbo-petrol scores quite high and it's price point seems reasonable. How does it stack up against linea's tjet 1.4L one?
Old 27th July 2020, 10:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codwapeace View Post
What is the 1200cc rule?
Cars having engine displacement over 1200CC in case of petrol and 1500CC in diesel engines fall into higher tax bracket.

That's why Hyundai and VW have replaced their 1.6L diesel engines with a 1.5L unit.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks