Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbo engine?
Hyundai Kappa 1.0 Turbo GDI 104 19.96%
Volkswagen / Skoda 1.0 TSI 330 63.34%
Maruti Suzuki 1.0 BoosterJet 16 3.07%
Ford 1.0 EcoBoost 64 12.28%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.34%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 12:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India

Since I have not driven any of the listed engines except the 1.0 Ecoboost, I am refraining from voting. Would have voted if I had a chance to drive the others.
Also, apart from the Ecoboost, the only turbopetrol I have driven is the 1.4 in the Seltos GTX.
There is lag in the initial rpms but I have come to live with it and it doesn't bother me much. What's most rewarding is the punchy mid-range, it makes me forget about the lack of torque in the low rpms. The 1.4 in the Seltos is in a different league altogether.
Being the oldest in the line-up, I think the other newer ones will be better as an allround package.
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:53   #47
BHPian

Certainly my vote goes to the Hyundai 1.0 Kappa GDI

1) First of all, it is based on the 1.0 Kappa engine used in Eon. In my view this was the best 1 litre
3 cylinder engine when compared to Maruti K10 and the Renault 1.0
Tech wise this engine had dual VTVT, DOHC, drive by wire hydraulic clutch and an aluminium block.

2) Hyundai has surprised the market by offering it in 2 states of tune (100 ps for Grand and Aura & 120 ps for Venue & Verna)

3) This engine is also mated to 4 different types of transmission depending on the model, (DCT for Verna and Venue, iMT and 6 MT in Venue, 5 MT in Grand and Aura). This shows the versatility of this engine.

As far as booster jet is concerned Maruti don't want to popularise it, due to various reasons.

Even though ecoboost is the pioneer in this category, ford has used only in ecosport.
Other important thing is the ecoboost cylinder block is actually made of cast iron which increases the weight.
While the others are of aluminium block.
Old 2nd August 2020, 17:24   #48
BHPian

Having driven the Ecoboost extensively during 2013-14, I can gladly say that it was worthy as hell given the 123 BHP tag. IMHO most people in the forum don't quite revere the incredible but tiny motor as much maybe because it demanded continuous engagement on part of the driver. It needed to be kept in high revs to pull out the fun factor. Be it run on highways or in the city, it always provided the desired results.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 16:16   #49
BANNED

Hyundai's GDi is quite good in the pool, while VW TSi is over engineered, not dependable. And ford's timing belt design is scary, I cannot accept the rubber belt getting dipped in oil.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:54   #50
BHPian

Having driven the 1.0L Turbopetrol manual Venue quite a lot, I can say that it is a very impressive engine. As you rev higher it pleasantly pushes you back in your seat. The sweet note of the engine at higher rpms coupled with the short throw gearbox, it is very engaging to drive, although the steering wheel could have done with a little more feedback.
Old 21st December 2020, 12:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

1.0L 3-cylinder turbo comparison

Hyundai i20
Volkswagen Polo

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:22   #52
BHPian

Hyundai for accessibility

VW for exclusivity

Turbos are here to stay till Mazda with their 'Skyactive-X' (explained) doesn't arrive here!

Hyundai making good waves about power and mileage , the turbo range showcased in newsprint today...

Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India-img_20210213_101528.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks