Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 12:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass Night Eagle priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh

Jeep has revealed the details of the limited edition Compass Night Eagle. The SUV has been priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). Pre-bookings are now open.

Jeep Compass Night Eagle priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh-night-eagle-1.png

The Compass Night Eagle comes with black chrome accents on the grille and badges. It also gets 18-inch black alloy wheels, a black roof, and blacked-out A-pillars. The car is equipped with front cornering fog lamps and rear fog lamps.

The Night Eagle also comes with an all-black interior with black accents and silver inserts on the steering wheel. The SUV is equipped with a 7.0-inch UConnect touchscreen head-unit.

Jeep Compass Night Eagle priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh-night-eagle-2.jpg

The Compass Night Eagle is powered by a 1.4-litre petrol engine that produces 161 BHP and 250 Nm and is paired to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. It also gets a 2.0-litre diesel engine that produces 171 BHP and 350 Nm and is available with a 9-speed automatic gearbox. We are not sure if a manual gearbox will be offered with the two engines. The SUV also gets all-wheel drive and four terrain modes - Auto, Snow, Sand and Mud. The car is equipped with cruise control and an Engine Stop-Start (ESS) System.

The Compass Night Eagle is available in four colour options. These are Vocal White, Brilliant Black, Exotica Red, and Magnesio Grey.

Jeep Compass Night Eagle priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh-night-eagle-3.jpg

Jeep Compass Night Eagle priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh-night-eagle-4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 13:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Night Eagle priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh

Straight out of the Maruti and Hero Honda playbook. New colour, a few new graphics, bits of trims here and there. Voila! You have a new model. Now we’ll give it a fancy name. All problems solved.

How can paid marketing professionals be so dumb or so out of touch? They didn’t even bother offering the panoramic sunroof for god’s sake. It’s as if they want us to ridicule them.

On the other hand, if they are offering diesel + automatic + cruise control + terrain modes for 19.9L, I’ll be the first in line with my cheque book. That, of course, will never happen.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 30th July 2020 at 13:30.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 13:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Prices start at ₹20.14 lakhs (ex-showroom Mumbai), it’s limited to only 250 units all over India.

The 1.4L Petrol gets the 7 speed DCT as the only option and the 2.0L diesel gets a manual in 4X2 guise and 9 speed auto for the 4X4.

Source: https://www.carwale.com/news/jeep-co...2014-lakh/amp/
CEF_Beasts is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 14:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
The SUV is equipped with a 7.0-inch UConnect touchscreen head-unit.
As per Autocar Night Eagle is equipped with 8.4 inch UConnect touchscreen and is Rs 45K expensive than equivalent trim.
Quote:
The Compass Night Eagle is based on the Longitude Plus trim, which means it is fairly well equipped, with features like an 8.4-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, push-button start, dual-zone climate control, dual front airbags, ABS, EBD and Xenon projector headlamps.
Link
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 16:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Jeep needs to make 6 airbags standard across all trims. I cant see how Jeep has an issue when so many cars south of 20 lac are now offering this? In fact this is degrading Jeep's brand equity in my opinion.
fhdowntheline is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 18:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ironically, the car has been launched with night-time photos when there is night curfew all over India.

I doubt if this version will help increase her sales.
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 19:14   #7
BHPian

As a owner of Jeep Compass, I see these attempts as a lazy effort to revive the dwindling sales chart. The company needs more than these "Night-eagles". They have to work towards providing more value to the customers ( read features ) and a USP ( may be 6 airbags in all models, 4x4 with a Petrol, etc.) which can showcase its differentiating prowess. Only Jeep owners understand the quality and feel of the vehicle as they are riding it day and night. For rest, it is not a value proposition. Prospective buyers will sway towards LED TV size touch screen, and mood lighting and will seldom understand the mechanical prowess these Jeeps bring on table.

It is sad that instead of Vehicle reasons, decision being made in board rooms are affecting great products like Jeep Compass and Tata Harrier in India.
Roadster17 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 20:23   #8
BHPian

IMHO I think I would definitely buy it if I were in the market for a SUV within the price range. Since this package is mainly around aesthetics, I really do like how the Compass looks. And if the Night Eagle wasn't launched, you can bet I would have blackened every possible piece on the car. So for Jeep to offer this to me from factory, with few other bits and bobs and for not a lot of difference in pricing, I would certainly buy.
shoaib3030 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 20:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Ironically, the car has been launched with night-time photos when there is night curfew all over India.

I doubt if this version will help increase her sales.
Actually night curfew was called of yesterday from 1st August, so guess they were waiting for that news before launching it.

I think it is a well timed launch, to coincide with this news.
Old 30th July 2020, 20:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Jeep needs to make 6 airbags standard across all trims. I cant see how Jeep has an issue when so many cars south of 20 lac are now offering this? In fact this is degrading Jeep's brand equity in my opinion.
I agree. Jeep is not alone (Hyundai and Kia are the worst offenders) but having safety features only on the top spec trim is not okay.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 22:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks to be just a paint and upholstery job over the Longitude Plus, features are exactly the same. For that, they charge an extra an extra 42K! The Longitude Plus 4X4 AT is 22.86 lakhs and the Night Eagle is 23.31 lakhs. It does not even get 6 airbags at that price point!

The Jeep is way overpriced for the value it offers. The longitude plus should be priced under 20 lakhs to bring this vehicle into more people's consideration set.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 22:26   #12
BHPian

I think only if one needs a 4*4 automatic SUV, Compass makes sense. Otherwise, Harrier is a better option. Also, its priced 3 lakhs less on road, comes with Panoramic sunroof and is more spacious.

Infact considering the price difference, even Seltos/Creta diesel auto seems a sensible choice. It will save at least 6-7 lakhs rupees or more.

Keeping aside the aspirational value, Compass does not make a lot of sense financially, considering there are so many other options which offer a lot for a lot less.
Mynameis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 01:20   #13
BHPian

As has been pointed out, this is a limited edition model in the true sense, hence based on existing model. Every automaker tries this tactic, so will not pull up Jeep for that.

What i do want to pull them up is on offering standard projectors instead of HIDs on a variant named Night Eagle

As it is weak headlights are one of the bugbears of the Compass.

Most car buyers, as referenced by Roadster, will always compare the Jeep with Korean or other competition, on price, and on features. Perhaps only those who ride it will appreciate the value and difference that a sound and sturdy, well engineered mechanical package makes.

Is that becoming a FIAT thing again?
achyutaghosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 09:48   #14
BHPian

As a die hard 4x4 fan i am eagerly waiting for a no frills petrol AT 4x4 Compass.
No panaromic sunroof or mood lighting. But I need full safety kit and top of the list is 6 airbags.
My estimation of the probability of FCA giving me what I desire - zero.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Jeep has revealed the details of the limited edition Compass. The SUV has been priced at Rs. 19.95 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). Pre-bookings are now open.
Attachment 2036302

The Compass Night Eagle comes with black chrome accents on the grille and badges. It also gets 18-inch black alloy wheels, a black roof, and blacked-out A-pillars. The car is equipped with front cornering fog lamps and rear fog lamps.
I think Maruti did more changes in the Ritz and Ritz GENUS limited edition compared to this.
I had said it before & will say it again, the name "Night Eagle" name does not belong on a car. Especially not a premium one from Jeep. The name can only be suitable for cheap Chinese LED lighting kits at best.

Also - Jeep urgently needs to hire a different (better) ad agency to run their campaigns. These media images are very substandard. Poor angles, bad post processing / merging, horrible choice of colour treatment & painful disregard for scales. Whats with that odd Moon everywhere. Its not helping at all.

(Perhaps they should check how the Harrier DARK was promoted.)
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed