Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2007, 03:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

the old generation miatas dont think they would find as many buyers. i think they lack power and the looks are not that great. i would prefer the mr2 in that case. a great looker with good power.
Old 8th August 2007, 22:03   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmob View Post
there is a dealer in kirti nagar, new delhi who is selling these san storms for 6.75 laks !!! he has two red test drive cars and quite a few of them in his showroom too. even a sx4 or honda city are much better at this price
I've read somewhere that brand new storm cost's 5.5L ?
Old 8th August 2007, 22:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
the old generation miatas dont think they would find as many buyers. i think they lack power and the looks are not that great. i would prefer the mr2 in that case. a great looker with good power.
Quite right but with respect to power to weight expectations of to sub 10 lakh cars, even the old Miata will do. Since there isn't many serious player in the convertible market, it will also sell (might not be to people who can afford a 20 lakh convertible but there are enough takers for a cheap and reliable convertible)
Old 9th August 2007, 00:12   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Quite right but with respect to power to weight expectations of to sub 10 lakh cars, even the old Miata will do. Since there isn't many serious player in the convertible market, it will also sell (might not be to people who can afford a 20 lakh convertible but there are enough takers for a cheap and reliable convertible)
yes 1100 if you put in that accord i think your right but dont you think the old miatas would look outdated compared to the newer breed of cars that are in the market. they might be more expensive but they look great. it would be like compareing the san storm against the Mg
Old 9th August 2007, 00:19   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes 1100 if you put in that accord i think your right but dont you think the old miatas would look outdated compared to the newer breed of cars that are in the market. they might be more expensive but they look great. it would be like compareing the san storm against the Mg
The Last gen Miata isn't that old gen in its looks. A headlight/ tail light job can freshen it up. Moreover now the Miata will sell in the Optra segment, the very fact that it is a convertible will outscore any new ness in the target segment cars.

A similar thing has actually happened with the Mercedes W210 in terms of the Chrysler/Dodge 300/Magnum/Charger. (Although the powertrains were completely different)

Last edited by 1100D : 9th August 2007 at 00:24.
Old 9th August 2007, 00:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Last gen Miata isn't that old gen in its looks. A headlight/ tail light job can freshen it up. Moreover now the Miata will sell in the Optra segment, the very fact that it is a convertible will outscore any new ness in the target segment cars.

A similar thing has actually happened with the Mercedes W210 in terms of the Chrysler/Dodge 300/Magnum/Charger. (Although the powertrains were completely different)
cant deny with a little spruceing up the miata could look better, but with a price conciece country like ours people would prefer to buy a four seater to a two seater. this is in regards with the common man and not people who want a get away car 1100.
the mercedes w210 is a four seater again. practical economical compared to the likes of the charger/ magnum/dodge300/chrysler. our indian market is the same practical minded.
Old 9th August 2007, 01:10   #82
Senior - BHPian

There'd be a whole lot of people looking for a 2nd car with the fun-factor. Say,if the main family car is a Scorpio/Accent/Innova, a 2nd car meant for the weekends,or for just 2 people to commute- a good convertible/coupe would be worth it.
Simple senario- husband &wife are techies; earning a good amount of money. They have 1 four-door car,and would like to have a 2nd vehicle and can afford it. They'd definitely go in for the old gen Miata,even if it costs upto Rs 10 lakhs. Reliable,sporty,and fun-filled that the Miata is, its surely going to end up on many driveways.
Old 9th August 2007, 01:15   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cant deny with a little spruceing up the miata could look better, but with a price conciece country like ours people would prefer to buy a four seater to a two seater. this is in regards with the common man and not people who want a get away car 1100.
the mercedes w210 is a four seater again. practical economical compared to the likes of the charger/ magnum/dodge300/chrysler. our indian market is the same practical minded.
Oh absolutely right, In any case a convertible is mostly not the first car in the household. Yes it does not have the market for the only car in the family market. But definitely when one is getting into a niche/lifestyle end a lot of people can shell out money in that segment.

Yeah but Nitin, from a personal experience, knowing how we (as in Me and my friends like to travel) our weekend vehicle has to be a Bus!! The culture is completely different as regards the west :-))

Last edited by 1100D : 9th August 2007 at 01:17.
Old 9th August 2007, 01:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

nitin you never know i might be wrong or you might be. most indians rather put their money in banks or buy assets not cars. if the miatas do flood the market we would know till then we can only hope.
Old 9th August 2007, 01:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nitin you never know i might be wrong or you might be. most indians rather put their money in banks or buy assets not cars. if the miatas do flood the market we would know till then we can only hope.
Thats mainly because of economic uncertainties prevalent till now. But people are beginning to change and can be seen. The very fact that people are buying more cars is an indicator that things are changing!
Old 9th August 2007, 01:22   #86
Senior - BHPian

[quote=1100D;526319]Oh absolutely right, In any case a convertible is mostly not the first car in the household. Yes it does not have the market for the only car in the family market. But definitely when one is getting into a niche/lifestyle end a lot of people can shell out money in that segment.

1100 if the car is a four seater convertible like the mercedes or the bmw it could be the first choice for people who can shell out the money. people who would look for a car in that segment would rather invest their money then buy a fancy second car. this is my personal opinion not saying i'm right.
Old 9th August 2007, 01:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

[quote=speedy;526324]
Quote:
Oh absolutely right, In any case a convertible is mostly not the first car in the household. Yes it does not have the market for the only car in the family market. But definitely when one is getting into a niche/lifestyle end a lot of people can shell out money in that segment.

1100 if the car is a four seater convertible like the mercedes or the bmw it could be the first choice for people who can shell out the money. people who would look for a car in that segment would rather invest their money then buy a fancy second car. this is my personal opinion not saying i'm right.
Yes but going by the practical aspects of living with a convertible in India, a lot of buyers of even these high end manufacturers will look at the hardtop. Case in point are the two manufacturers you pointed out. They have convertibles from the CLK and 3-series convertible (SLK is a different breed) but they have not even offered them in India. In India any convertible owner will have a hardtop doing the practical stuff.
Old 9th August 2007, 02:17   #88
Senior - BHPian

yes 1100d i was refering to the convertible models of the mercedes and bmw in india. apart from the clk and the ci respectively being convertibles they also are four seaters so an indian wanting a convertible for practical purposes would go in for these models. its a shame they are'nt part of the lineup here but you could order them from the showrooms. yes 1100d we are again stuck at the same point that the owners of a convertible is going to be someone from the higher end of the chain and not a practical everyday person.
Old 9th August 2007, 13:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Why doesn't M&M-Renault , take over the San Storm ? It has a Renault engine - take it , give it some better quality inside and outside and with their A.S.S support - they might just move a few more numbers more than what the Storm does now.

But then would Renault be interested ?
Old 9th August 2007, 13:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Why doesn't M&M-Renault , take over the San Storm ? It has a Renault engine - take it , give it some better quality inside and outside and with their A.S.S support - they might just move a few more numbers more than what the Storm does now.

But then would Renault be interested ?
i think M&M have bigger things in their hand then to take over san storm. their first venture into passanger cars( not their forte suv/ jeep) is with the logan, guess they would concentrate on getting that on is feet and then maybe if someone puts it in their ears a good possibility. any bhpians want to do the job of letting them know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks