Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen) today?
Yes 329 77.41%
No 96 22.59%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2020, 00:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen)

Ford really hit it out of the park with this 2nd-generation Endeavour. Not only has it been a sales success regularly selling ~500 / copies a month, but it also has a lot of fans on Team-BHP. Earlier this year, Ford introduced a new 2.0-litre diesel & 10-speed AT in the car. While the gearbox is vastly superior to the old AT, the engine isn't. Neither is it offered in the higher-spec twin-turbo version like in international markets. This is one of the reasons for the older 3.2-litre cars holding their value in the used car market. Our Official Review describes the 2.0 as 'adequate' and the 3.2 as 'impressive'.

Positives

• A big all-rounded SUV with no real deal breaker. 3.2's capability matches SUVs twice as expensive!
• Pre-owned is the only way you'll get that lovely 197 BHP 3.2L diesel
• Macho styling packs appeal. Solid build quality matches the butch presence
• Cabin is a nice place to be in. Likeable design, comfy seats & lots of storage
• Great balance between ride & handling for a body-on-frame SUV. Sweet steering too
• Offroad ready - Terrain Management System, rear diff lock, 225 mm GC & 800 mm of water wading
• 5 star safety: all wheel disc brakes, ESP & TC, 7 airbags, roll stability control, hill launch assist etc.
• Loaded to the gill with features! Panoramic sunroof, 10-speaker ICE, parallel park assist, powered tailgate, xenon headlamps, triple-zone climate control & more
• Endeavour owners have reported good reliability with their steeds

Negatives

• Fortuner's cabin is roomier, offering more headroom & space at the back
• Missing essentials such as steering reach adjustment, passive keyless entry & go, tumbling middle row seat & third row seat recline
• The smaller 2.2L diesel feels lethargic over 120 kph. Even the new 2.0L is strictly "adequate"
• Mediocre fuel economy due to the fat 2,200+ kilo weight, AT & big diesel (3.2L)
• Some owners have found its large size to be too cumbersome in the city
• Ingress is difficult for the elderly / short folk. 3rd row access is terrible!
• Manual gearbox availability is limited. The Fortuner 2.8L 4x4 is available with an MT
• Later models suffered annoying feature deletions (e.g. headlamp washers, gear position backlight)
• A bit uncertain of how the long-term after-sales will be, with the Mahindra-Ford JV

Related Threads

Official Review, 2019 Facelift, 2020 Endeavour 2.0L

prateekvidya's Endeavour 3.2

I exported my Ford Endeavour from India to the UK!

A.G.'s Endeavour 3.2 Titanium

Ace F355's 2.2 MT 4x4 a.k.a. Lal Ghoda

Ford India's cheap cost-cutting! Chassis support missing

Wanderers' 3.2L 4x4 AT

dockap's 3.2L 4x4 AT

Spiti Valley in a Ford Endeavour

To Munnar in my Ford!

Offroading Trip to Manang (Nepal)

Mod Potential:

Terrific. Lots of mod options from tyre upgrades to snorkels, offroading enhancements to aesthetics, remaps etc. It's a popular seller in India & abroad, so you'll get ample after-market support.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen)-endymod.jpeg
Source

Availability:

Quite reasonable because it's a successful model. However, availability isn't as high as you would expect because of 3 reasons = First, this model is just 4.xx years old. Expect the supply to improve once more examples cross the 5 - 6 year (age) mark. Two = whatever example hits the used market moves fast as this car has a lot of fans. Three = Owners are holding onto their Endeavours for longer as it's a capable car that ages well. Check out the examples on sale - link.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen)-images1080x108031.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen)-images1080x108032.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen)-images1080x108035.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen)-images1080x108034.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd August 2020 at 20:09.
blackwasp is online now   (48) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 18:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Endeavour (2nd-gen)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Anyone who has read my posts on Rs 30 - 40 lakh SUV threads knows how much I love the Endeavour. Voted Yes! This is a car that punches way above its weight - related thread. While a new Endeavour is good value, a used Endeavour can give you terrific value. A brand new Titanium Plus is for 42 lakhs in Bombay, but I can get a nice 3.2L for 21 - 24 lakhs (example 1 and 2). If I had the need for an SUV, there would already be a pre-worshipped one parked down the house.

Tip: Wait for another year if you can. Prices will drop by another handful of lakhs, as they usually do at the 5-year mark.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2020 at 18:54.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 19:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted YES! Especially in white.

If I had the parking space, I would love to have the Endeavour in the garage.

In fact, a friend was considering selling his - I was seriously tempted but he changed his mind and is happily 'trucking' around the city.
In fact, I had hurt my back around new years 2020; and couldn't drive to Lonavala with my friends as planned. Ended up taking the front passenger seat in the Endy, and I have never had a more comfortable trip & the car felt TIGHT despite being 2+ years old.

Yes, my mother and other senior citizens would have a hard time getting in which is the only other issue I can think of - but there are work arounds

Best part : Even though the Endy holds its resale value well, it thankfully isn't Fortuner level Good, which makes buying used a good option if one comes across a good vehicle.
lamborghini is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 19:12   #4
BHPian

I didn't drive one, but I rode in one, in the 2nd row. The build quality is awesome and ride quality is way ahead of bumpy ride quality of Toyota Fortuner.(no offence to fortuner owners). I'm a Toyota fan boy, but given Fortuner vs Endeavour, I'd definitely pick endeavour any day! That outgoing 3.2 is a bulletproof engine. As GTO mentioned, if you are in a market for a proper SUV and if you can get a good one for 21 - 24 lakhs, it's a steal!

I really wish Ford to launch the bi-turbo version of 2.0 Diesel. I always drool over the modified Ford Endeavour pictures in (PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India)Tastefully modified cars thread .
WhiteSierra is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 21:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes! I loved this version of the Endeavour, especially when I saw a black one in the showroom, when I had gone to take delivery of my Ecosport. I like the clean lines and butch looks of the car. What I specially liked are the interiors and the way you perch high, looking down. If I had a choice, I would have loved to own one, no two ways about it!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 22:07   #6
BHPian

Although I voted Yes, it will be tough for me choose between this and BMW X3 (5 year old ones). I do not like Q5 much which will come cheaper than X3.

If 7 seats and offroading are not the criteria, and want that BMW badge, a 5 year old X3 does make sense. Yes, maintenance will certainly be higher than Endy and X3 will be out of warranty, for that I will open a FD same day for 3-5 lakhs
Mynameis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 22:09   #7
BHPian

Voted for a big yes!

The 3.2 would be my only choice! They depreciate higher than the Fortuner making it a great value in the used market. This generation was a stable second in the sales chart after the Fortuner, and that itself cements the fact about its appeal. It is absolutely a joy to drive one (apart from the single digit fuel economy, obviously ), is absolutely menacing to look at (except the rear, which I personally feel) and has quite good reliability (barring few issues with the older 3.2 6 speed (Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure. Recalled in other countries, but not in India!) and heard of some issues internationally with the GM-Ford 10 speed on some videos in YouTube). I am sure spares would be not an issue if the Ford plant here keeps churning spares but then again the Endeavour had very low localisation levels so parts will be probably expensive compared to say the Fortuner which already shares many parts with the high-volume Innova.
Researcher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:39   #8
BHPian

Voted No. Absolutely love the car. To bits. But reliability concerns after 60k/70k. I think one should buy a used car from the segment which is in reach of an individual for a new car. So, if the budget is 20L, one shouldn't buy a used endeavor. Toyota cars are the only exception to this because of low maintenance and ultra high reliability (besides minor occasional hiccups like at the time of Crysta launch)

Check out the transmission failure thread(s)/posts. Is that a resolved issue? Were those cases outliers? That's the reason Ford depreciates higher. Plus the Ford company itself and the India plans it might have. PS: not a fan of how featureless Fortuner is.

Last edited by 5kmiles : 22nd August 2020 at 09:41.
5kmiles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

YES

A 3.2 Endeavour is too tasty a vehicle to ignore.

Though I believe Fortuner would be less of a headache in the long run, Endeavour looks the part of an American SUV and the ride/handling is so better than the Fortuner. Good number of the Fortuner owners would be confused if they had taken a TD of the Endy before buying the Fortuner.

It is years away, but the renders of the next gen Ranger makes me drool for the next gen Endeavour. Face from F150, rumours of a V6 diesel, VW using the platform.
DicKy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:51   #10
BHPian

Been a proud and happy owner of a 2017 Nov (2018) black 3.2 Endeavour aptly named "Ironhide". It has done roughly about 54000 kms till date and there is no way I am going to part with it anytime soon. What I really like about the car is the absolute silence in the cabin as it effortlessly munches miles. The 3.2 engine is butter smooth and it always feels like one is riding on a wave of torque. I am pretty happy with all aspects of the vehicles.

The suave exterior hides its off-road prowess very well. I do recall an incident when I was up in the hills and had to go to some place off the beaten track. A local who was accompanying me told me "Sir, this car cannot go there - this track requires 4 wheel drive". He had a hard time comprehending that the car did not have 4WD since he was used to 4WD vehicles with a high/low ratio change lever. Anyways, to make the long story short, the vehicle demolished the track with ease.

This is one car that I see staying for a very long time as part of my garage.

Last edited by krishsreedharan : 22nd August 2020 at 09:52. Reason: Additional info provided
krishsreedharan is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:00   #11
BHPian

I have been in the market for a used 7 Seater 4x4 SUV for quite some time. Love every bit about this vehicle, but not sure about the risk having read the Gearbox failure posts on our forum.

@GTO - Is it worth the risk?
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
I have been in the market for a used 7 Seater 4x4 SUV for quite some time. Love every bit about this vehicle, but not sure about the risk having read the Gearbox failure posts on our forum.
Technically speaking, I have put this vehicle through its paces - while I have driven it hard, I have never driven it rough and reckless. And believe me, the TC is one of the most reliable. The failures that you have been reading about in this forum are few and far apart and as the adage goes, anything mechanical is bound to break at some point.

This gearbox is rated upto 800Nm of torque. The only way a TC transmission can fail is when you put it to continuous repeated hard acceleration from a stand-still. Resist the urge to stamp on the throttle at every red light and you should be fine for many 100,000 kms.

If you can find a good pre-"worshipped" example, I think you should go for it. I don't believe this should be a show-stopper.

Last edited by krishsreedharan : 22nd August 2020 at 10:17. Reason: Added more information.
krishsreedharan is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 11:12   #13
BHPian

I am a huge fan of European Fords’ ride and handling. Coming from an Ikon, I cannot live with bad ride quality or a dull steering. So the Toyota’s aren’t my cup of tea.

Sadly in Delhi NCR, MOST people go by looks and pose value over cars that are a driver’s delight. So for Delhiites,
Toyota Fortuner > Ford Endeavour
Hyundai Verna > Fiat Linea
Honda Amaze > Ford Aspire
Maruti Ertiga > Renault Lodgy
Maruti Ciaz > Skoda Rapid
MG Hector/Kia Seltos > Jeep Compass

That said, I am a little apprehensive about buying a used Ford because I am not sure if one can check the full service history of a Ford from any dealer across the country unlike say a Maruti Suzuki.

So if I’m really getting a pristine one, I’ll buy it only after getting it checked from atleast two trusted mechanics from Ford ASC’s.

TIP : While buying such expensive pre-owned cars, have a check on the seller too. Like if he owns a handsome fleet of cars, or if he is chauffeur driven, then probably he maintains his rides too. Also, white uniform chauffeurs can be very cautious about their cars.
And if he is apparently some semiliterate person or a young enthusiast who has modded his car or even has unnecessary accessories or stickers over his car, then I’d take it as a warning signal.

So avoid buying from Brokers or Car Dealers. ALWAYS buy directly!

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 22nd August 2020 at 11:21.
dr.aviansh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 11:41   #14
BHPian

Voted as Yes. The reason being it is really a tempting package and the reliability also pretty high. I owned a 2.2 manual 4X4 around 3.5 years and exchanged for a 3.2 (That could be one of the last 3.2 that got manufactured ). I changed the car just because I wanted a sync 3 , because that is a very useful feature for me. I got 76% as the resale value for my 2.2 after 3.5 years, which is very good is what I believe. I still love my manual Endy and that is the biggest miss I have it my 3.2. But on the flip side, the 3.2 engine is amazing and damn smooth. (To workaround Manual, I always prefer to drive in sports mode ). Off late I did a 1200 KM ride on my 3.2, the mileage on highway is almost same as manual. (I used to get 8.9 on the same drive in my manual and this one, I got 8.8)
anumod is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 13:52   #15
BHPian

A resounding YES.
When we moved from NY to Bangalore early last year, I was looking for a vehicle that would make sense in India, while still giving some driving pleasure. In India, Might Is Right, so I was looking for a largish SUV. The Mercs and Beemers didn't make sense at the prices they were charging, so decided on Endevour. Almost bought a new one and then saw this white pre-owned Endevour 3.2, 2017, done about 33k Km., at the neighbourhood dealer. Price was just right and the deal was done in a day.
Havent regretted the decision after driving it for ~10k Km. Just loved the ride quality, interior comfort and the road presence.
The car was bought from a used car dealer who deals with only high end cars and I must say the support from him was excellent. After driving for a couple of days, I realised that the rear right door was making a noise. Took it back to the dealer and he fixed it without a second thought. In fact he apologised for not taking care of it pre delivery.
With the 3.2L engine not being offered any more, I plan to keep the car for a longish time.
Sanjivvohra is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks