Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 10:50   #46
BHPian

Re: August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I think for the first time since the 90s, Maruti's position is directly being challenged! Hyundai-Kia is on a roll and is easily the most respected brand in India right now and Tata's investments are earning dividends. Mahindra cannot be written off either as their newer models are yet to come.

For the home-grown boys, there is no time to waste IMHO, Tata needs to bring out the Hornbill and the Gravitas while Mahindra needs to bring out the new XUV500, Scorpio and the Creta-rival ASAP (finished products offcourse, not unfinished like the 2019 harrier).

I feel that while Maruti is certainly not on its death-bed, it's complete dominance of the Indian market will be over with VW-Skoda bringing in India-specific models as well while Maruti has new nothing on the cards - no new segments and no EVs except maybe some hybrid toyota clones!

I can't believe my eyes on how the Japanese dominance is coming to an end and they aren't even trying anymore! Toyota and Honda have nothing new on the cards! Despite the geopolitics, even Chinese companies are trying more than the Japanese speaking of which, the MG hector is doing fairly well, I hope they bring in some new launches instead of being a one-trick pony like Jeep.

Speaking of EVs, seems like the MG ZS is doing much better than the Kona. But we need the figures of the Nexon EV to know who is winning India's first EV battle!
Old 7th September 2020, 11:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigneshMC View Post
Just want to understand the curious case of Skoda Rapid here, when it launched there was a huge buzz but looks like that is not reflecting in sales numbers. I am not expecting to sell like Creta but count did not even cross 750. Am I missing something here ?
I think it is most talked about and loved in TBHP circle and not by common public who probably just don't fully trust Skoda !

On the numbers..

Mahindra is loosing steam and they have to quickly catch up with some new releases, else they will be pushed down the table quickly

TATA seems to be going great and they should, after all the good work

Honda/Toyota - probably they are confused and could not arrive at a strategy to boost sales and counter the Koreans - i see a KIA and HONDA showroom next to each other and KIA has good activity and the Honda has put a security next to the Test Drive City wherein sales personnel keep gazing out of those glass windows looking for customers - very evident state of affairs.

Swami
Old 7th September 2020, 11:04   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Just want to understand the curious case of Skoda Rapid here, when it launched there was a huge buzz but looks like that is not reflecting in sales numbers. I am not expecting to sell like Creta but count did not even cross 750. Am I missing something here ?
I think even Skoda might not have anticipated the huge response and they might not have ramped up the production lines. In Kollam, rapid rider plus has waiting period of 2 months depending on the color.
Old 7th September 2020, 11:17   #49
BHPian

One car which I was really curious about is Hector. Just wanted to see how it performs with anti-chinese sentiment at an all time high. And I was surprised to see that it sold more than Harrier & XUV combined. What can be the reason for that?
Old 7th September 2020, 11:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, you should be amazed that the Rapid is even selling as many as 700 a month! This car was launched during the festival season 2011, it is now 9 (yes, nine) years old, in a dying, and almost irrelevant segment!!

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 7th September 2020 at 11:30.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:29   #51
BHPian

Seltos is cutting into Innova buyers at the lower end. The Seltos brand seems to be big enough of a status marker to counter Innova, City, Xuv etc. Taking on multiple segments with a single product.

This product has proved the maturing nature of our market. From utility to marketing and status driven market. The car your drive tells a 'story' about you. This concept seems to be spreading wider into the market. As cities get overcrowded and Fastag will enable easy e-challans for 'parking violations'.

The market will move towards smaller premium cars to push manufacturing GDP over the next decade. Higher priced petrol cars, hybrids and electric vehicles seem to be pointing to this upcoming trend.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2020 at 22:05. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

The success of Hyundai/ KIA twins must ring alarm bells at Maruti.

Already the Creta+Seltos is zooming past 22K sales per month, which is more than individual sales of Dzire/Swift/Wagon R/Alto.

With Sonnet looming on the horizon, and Venue already beating the Brezza, it looks like Hyundai/Kia won't even give Maruti a chance to make a comeback.
When the Kia counterparts of I20,Xcent,Verna arrive (and they will), it's hard to see Maruti holding on to the top spot in terms of sales. Hyundai+Kia already stands at 24% vs Maruti's market share of 48%.

It will be a similar situation for Toyota in the higher segments. Whenever the Kia's and Hyundai's (Tucson is not a rival to the Fortuner) answer to the Fortuner arrives, it's hard to see Toyota ruling sales charts only on the basis of reliability and ASS.

Last edited by 07CR : 7th September 2020 at 11:40.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:42   #53
BHPian

Seems like this is the only Mahindra Alturas G4 sold in this month. But the chances of this being the Official State car of the President of India are quite slim.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-c44ab3f3dbf74522a2f611b98cbdddef.jpeg  

Fulcrum is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:42   #54
BHPian

True that. I am very a sedan person and literally no activity in that space in AT guise.

I love my Vento TDi to bits. The engine and transmission is a good combination. With the new 1L 3 cylinder engine, VAG has gone with Torque convertor units for the Vento, Rapid & Polo. That's a step down. Reduced costs, but none passed onto the customer. Still listed at 17L.

Verna DCT, not well calibrated. And not one for the long haul. I look to own cars for 6-7 yrs and drive 1.5L kms during that period. Only reliable option is the new Honda City. But that's very light and flimsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

C segment is struggling since some time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. When someone like me who has always been a sedan guy is looking for a C-Suv, SUV as a new buy then surely C segment has lost its charm. With our pothole ridden roads and bulging speed breakers a sedan makes less sense now. Even Tata has realised that but sadly Honda is sleeping as usual.
svmvale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
To be brutally honest, our forum is very disconnected from the real market. Where the majority of our forum patrons see a Rapid as "Timeless" the market sees it as a very dull design (even at launch) which is now positively ancient. The average C segment buyer also really doesn't care for driveability, they look for reliability, comfort and where possible a status symbol. Something like a Rapid just doesn't cut it.

Of the 700 am guessing half will be enthusiasts and this number will fall rapidly (pun unintended) as the general market wants nothing to do with this ancient car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
One car which I was really curious about is Hector. Just wanted to see how it performs with anti-chinese sentiment at an all time high. And I was surprised to see that it sold more than Harrier & XUV combined. What can be the reason for that?
Two things, the average buyer still doesn't know it is a Chinese brand (how many know Volvo is a Chinese brand for instance?) and even if they did the value proposition is important. All these "boycott Chinese products" is a knee jerk reaction and short of a ban won't work.

Very simply the market sees value in a Hector over Harrier or XUV and this is reflected in sales. Though the new XUV might take away numbers from the hector
Stribog is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Speaking of EVs, seems like the MG ZS is doing much better than the Kona. But we need the figures of the Nexon EV to know who is winning India's first EV battle!
Nexon EV is number one with 60% market share till Aug'20.

Cross posting from: Nexon EV Review (Review: The Tata Nexon EV)
Attached Thumbnails
August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-20200901_141806.jpg  

Last edited by S.MJet : 7th September 2020 at 12:05.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:11   #57
BHPian

When I started market hunting for the first car in my family, I was mildly surprised to see that no manufacturer was giving any significant discount. They clarly mentioned that market has recovered and their long standing inventory is getting cleaned up at unbelievable speed.

Though being a bit dejected, I was happy to see the auto industry was finally recovering from the long slump it was facing. However with the current state of economy, this rate may not be continuing for very long.

Good to see good cars (Marazzo, Harrier, Freestyle) finally getting the spotlight they have always deserved.
Old 7th September 2020, 13:54   #58
BHPian

Is it just me or is this a bullwhip effect happening in the automotive market? I'm sure auto companies aren't seeing these numbers and ramping up production because there could be a demand slowdown in the future.
Old 7th September 2020, 14:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Two things, the average buyer still doesn't know it is a Chinese brand (how many know Volvo is a Chinese brand for instance?) and even if they did the value proposition is important. All these "boycott Chinese products" is a knee jerk reaction and short of a ban won't work.
I think the average buyer is more informed than we give them credit for. A simple Google search with the terms ' MG Hector' is enough for anyone to learn that it's a Chinese Company operating under a British marque.

Indians love getting value for their money and they love bling. Hector offers both. Add to it the positioning - as a British automotive brand, and people are willing to look beyond 'ownership'. The sheer value of Rs/Sq Foot of car you get, makes it a lucrative buy.

MG also has capacity constraints but I'm sure they'll be looking to step up production.

It'll be interesting to see the breakup though. Hector vs Hector Plus. That'll give us a clearer picture of how the Hector & Hector Plus vs Harrier & Gravitas goes. With the entry of the new XUV 500, it'll be an interesting segment.
Old 7th September 2020, 14:45   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I think all the happy percentage rises are due to the fact that 2019 was a bad year for Indian automotive sector.

It would be good to look at the sales data from 2018-2019-2020. That would give us a true picture of how much sales each OEM has gained in the last 2 years.

Tata for example, even though they are showing a 154% increase, in number terms, they have just about managed to get back to the 2018 figures.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-12.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks