Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 09:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A 1.5 lakh rupee premium is ABSURD for such an old gearbox. The Rapid is the senior citizen of the segment and it should have been priced to sell. No one even thinks of a Rapid when they are out shopping today.

Either way, wait for the discounts to kick in. They will come & they will be heavy.
Rapid MT makes perfect sense now. It is perfect bang for buck and Rider plus MT coming within 10 lakh OTR is perfect. People don't like the rubber band effect of CVT in general, 1.5 lakh rupee premium for DSG makes sense but for this slushbox is not at all a tempting deal. Clutch of Rapid petrol manual is butter smooth too.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 10:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Rapid MT makes perfect sense now. It is perfect bang for buck and Rider plus MT coming within 10 lakh OTR is perfect. People don't like the rubber band effect of CVT in general, 1.5 lakh rupee premium for DSG makes sense but for this slushbox is not at all a tempting deal. Clutch of Rapid petrol manual is butter smooth too.
Exaxtly my thoughts.. I have been driving the rapid tsi in dense city traffic for the past one month and the light clutch takes a lot less effort than my existing jazz diesel. The manual gives you ease of driving, mileage and a lot of fun is bonus
apache_aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 13:16   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Have you driven the Rapid AT? On YouTube reviews no one complained about any rubberband effect. Most reviews say it is almost similar to DSG - almost but not as perfect as DSG, no doubt.
So just curious if your experience was not similar as other YouTube reviewers.

This is a new gearbox and not the old one which did duty earlier on VW group cars.
Old 19th September 2020, 13:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Have you driven the Rapid AT? On YouTube reviews no one complained about any rubberband effect. Most reviews say it is almost similar to DSG - almost but not as perfect as DSG, no doubt.

This is a new gearbox and not the old one which did duty earlier on VW group cars.

I'm sorry, I haven't driven the new Rapid AT (CVT), But I've driven CVT gearbox vehicles before, and I felt that rubber band effect almost in all the CVT drive train vehicles I've driven. DSG is in a complete different league altogether.

My point here is a premium of 1.5 Lakh rupees for CVT tranny over MT is not justified. I will soon take a TD of Rapid CVT.

I also read that this is an all new 6 speed gearbox provided by a Japanese vendor, Aisin Seiki, whose parent company is Toyota. So I'm hoping that there would be a better reliability than DSG, but DSG was much more superior for lightning fast shifts and performance.

All said and done, even from price point view, if someone is on a shoe-string budget but wants a Skoda, Rapid rider plus MT is the way to go. My opinion might change after the TD of automatic.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 13:41   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm sorry, I haven't driven the new Rapid AT (CVT), But I've driven CVT gearbox vehicles before, and I felt that rubber band effect almost in all the CVT drive train vehicles I've driven.
Rapid now gets a 6 speed torque converter gearbox and not a CVT.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 13:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Rapid now gets a 6 speed torque converter gearbox and not a CVT.

My bad, so the new TC gearbox is from Aisin Seiki. Got it.
Old 19th September 2020, 14:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
My opinion might change after the TD of automatic.
Yes, DSG is no doubt the best in performance. Looking forward to your review on Rapid AT.

Thanks!
Old 19th September 2020, 15:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Comparo: Skoda Rapid AT vs competition

Earlier this week, Skoda launched the Rapid 1.0L TSI AT. The car competes with the Honda City, Hyundai Verna, Maruti Ciaz and the Toyota Yaris. The Volkswagen Vento does not get an automatic transmission.
I'm sorry, I just saw this other thread which was also opened recently claiming that the Polo and Vento have recently been launched with an AT :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...o-6-speed.html (VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT)

And when I went to a VW showroom in the last week of August, they had a Vento Highline+ AT on display. I believe the Vento does/will soon come with an automatic transmission as an option.
Old 19th September 2020, 16:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
I'm sorry, I just saw this other thread which was also opened recently claiming that the Polo and Vento have recently been launched with an AT :

And when I went to a VW showroom in the last week of August, they had a Vento Highline+ AT on display. I believe the Vento does/will soon come with an automatic transmission as an option.
I dint know the car was in the showroom. When I checked the VW website yesterday and today, it does not have the price list for the AT and brochure still does not have the automatic.

Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-vento-mt.png

Name:  vento brochure.png
Views: 3799
Size:  50.6 KB

I'll update the spec sheet once the price is out.
ChiragM is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 17:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post

Hi guys, I did a test drive today both Manual and AT. I agree that manual's clutch and gear shifts are butter smooth, you won't feel the effort.
Interestingly, the AT also feels great and there is no lag at all. Infact, this is also fun to drive gearbox. It costs around 2 L more on road in Bangalore (Ambition variant). Dealer did say that he will offer a discount once I make a decision to buy.
Carz77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 22:07   #41
BHPian

I am in the market for a new car. I was temped by Rapid MT pricing and was hoping for justified pricing for AT too.

I took test drive of Rapid AT. It has one sweet engine and the AT is mated to it tuned for aggressive driving. Even the D mode had pretty good kickdown on acceleration. Put in S and you will get pushed into the seat. The engine sound was also great to my ears. But, I fear it's not going to give more than 10 kmpl.
I was interested in onyx variant and SA was ready to give discounts upto 60K already. At the end; old platform, preference by wife for an CSUV has made us look past the Rapid.
I am back to square one.
sathya.bhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 22:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

If I were you I'd push my purchase a year ahead and pick the same power unit gearbox combo in the new Rapid. Unfortunately for me December 2021 is too far ahead
Old 19th September 2020, 22:21   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
I was interested in onyx variant and SA was ready to give discounts upto 60K already. At the end; old platform, preference by wife for an CSUV has made us look past the Rapid.
I am back to square one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
If I were you I'd push my purchase a year ahead and pick the same power unit gearbox combo in the new Rapid. Unfortunately for me December 2021 is too far ahead
A few more months and the Rapid TSI AT will be available easily with discounts of more than a lakh. Might be the best time to get one with hefty discounts. Might be the only fun to drive AT.

The new one is a long while away till end of 2021 and i'm sure considering the delays this will get pushed out.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:07   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, just a clarification & apologies. I thought it is the same old 6-speed AT, but it *may* not be the case. Pending confirmation. Sorry about my earlier post. Am editing it.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
... But, I fear it's not going to give more than 10 kmpl.
If double digit FE is what you seek, ignore petrol Torque Convertors. Petrol+ TCs inherently aren't really frugal. With diesels they are better.

Even a grand-i10 TC box returns single digit mileage and its much smaller and lighter car. Among CSUVs Ecosport AT(TC again) is known to be a guzzler with single digit economy figures. Nexon and XUV3OO have AMTs which have their own issues like head-nod and all. Among TCs, only Brezza petrol TC might(a BIG might) be the one which can return you anything above 10kmpl in city traffic usage as marutis are usually frugal. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by SoumenD : 21st September 2020 at 13:16.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks