Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 09:14   #16
BHPian

Re: 13-year old Innova completes 10 lakh kilometres

Not to generalise but in India, and actually most developing nations, Japanese brands like Toyota made inroads much earlier compared to European and N.A. brands. They were also accepted much more widely compared to the other brands given their lower cost of ownership and maintenance. Which is why we tend to hear lots more stories about Toyota's and even Maruti's reliability stories. Not taking anything away from their rock solid engineering

But this doesn't mean that other brands are not as good as the Japanese in terms of reliability and longevity. As we have seen in other videos posted on this thread, European brands like VW and Skoda can also drive more than a million miles or kilometers. As we have discussed before a lot of it depends on the driver, service personnel, even type of fuel. There are lots of stories of Ford F150 pickups also doing close to a million miles. In developing markets, I feel its poor servicing rather than anything else

And I think we're all forgetting the Koreans, especially Hyundai which for me is a much bigger success story compared to the Japanese and Europeans. They were nowhere in the picture as late as 20 years ago, literally the laughing stock of the automotive world. But after years of design and engineering transformation, look at them now. They are probably better in terms of reliability compared to Japanese even. A couple of years ago, they were the only brand in the USA to give a 10 year powertrain warranty.

This is an example of the progress they have made:

qr20de is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 10:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
We all have previously come across Qualis’ doing 5-6 Lac kms. Though it was an NA, but this modern Turbo Diesel just takes the cake away.

Toyota should make this particular vehicle’s service history public, to justify the periodic maintenance by ASC’s, provided the owner didn’t go to his FNG for the same.
Around 8 years back I was doing a project for my MBA on Taxi market and in the process had visited quite a lot of Taxi operators in Ahmedabad and Vadodara to collect voice of customers and one thing which was common across was the fact that almost all of them swear by the quality (read reliability) of Innova and Toyota service.

Infact I had met one owner whose Innova had clocked 9 Lac kms and the engine was not opened. 4 -5 lac kms was very normal for previous gen Innovas (not too sure though about current one ). Toyota service although a bit on costlier side back then, the owners had expressed complete trust in the service centres and they were willing to do service as per their recommendations. They did not have same confidence on any other OEM's service centres including Maruti.

The other thing about Innova is less gadgets and electronics so the chances of going things wrong were also less.

Even the Qualis had rock solid reliability and was a workhorse. I remember had to drive back from Haridwar to Surat (must be around 1300 kms) for a family emergency almost non stop (ofcourse with Bio and tea breaks) in my cousin's Qualis and the vehicle did not let us down or stranded anywhere thankfully.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 10:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
And I think we're all forgetting the Koreans, especially Hyundai which for me is a much bigger success story compared to the Japanese and Europeans. They were nowhere in the picture as late as 20 years ago, literally the laughing stock of the automotive world. But after years of design and engineering transformation, look at them now. They are probably better in terms of reliability compared to Japanese even. A couple of years ago, they were the only brand in the USA to give a 10 year powertrain warranty.

This is an example of the progress they have made:

https://Youtu.be/PFzp1pVPDPg
I'm a bit suspicious of the acclaim Kia/Hyundai have been getting in this regard lately (not just in India, but all across the globe).

Anecdotal videos are not very useful. Especially when stuff like this thread (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!) provides plenty of directly contradicting anecdotes.

To be sure, they have made leaps and bounds in the design department. But not so sure about manufacturing/mechanicals.
chieftain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 10:54   #19
BHPian

Home grown diesels too aren't that bad when it comes to munching miles. Boleros which have covered north of a million kilometres have been posted elsewhere on this forum.
crdi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:07   #20
BHPian

10L kms on a car? That is nothing short of a Milestone. I always knew Toyotas were reliable, but 10L kms (hopefully without an Engine Overhaul) is truly amazing. If i'am not wrong, last year or maybe last to last year, i saw a news article of a Toyota Corolla clocking 10L kms in India.

One of our Relatives owns a Previous Gen Toyota Innova. He has still date clocked more than 4.5L kms without any major repairs. There has been no Engine Repairs and not even once, did the car stranded them anywhere. Maybe this is the reason why Toyotas, even though they sell for a Premium, are well accepted by the Indian Customers (considering the fact that Indian Customers are price conscious).

Yes, there has been some safety concerns with Toyotas, for instance not deploying of Airbags on crash, but i do not think there is any other Car Brand which can beat Toyota when it comes to sheer Mechanical Reliability.

Last edited by Sounak04 : 24th September 2020 at 12:25.
Old 24th September 2020, 12:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
100k kms on a car?
100 K km = 100,000 km = 1 Lakh km

We have here 1000 K km = 1000,000 km = 10 Lakh km
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
100 K km = 100,000 km = 1 Lakh km

We have here 1000 K km = 1000,000 km = 10 Lakh km
Sorry my mistake. 1000k kms. I will edit the post.
Sounak04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Very impressive, from an era when cars were built to last much like European machines of the past for e.g. Jeroen's 1982 Mercedes Benz W123. I really hope TKM products of today live up to the old Innova and Qualis reputation because the Europeans sure don't make them like they used to.

PS - And yeah, as a long time Toyota owner, there's nothing like going to the ASC for your car's annual maintenance. Peace of mind = a Toyota + their after sales service. Just one fly in the ointment though - accident repairs are very expensive. So take good care of the car on the road and it'll serve you faithfully for decades.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th September 2020 at 12:58. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great news for all current Toyota owners and the company!
Now Toyota can safely cross the 30 Lakh INR mark for a new Innova, and everyone's Innova resale just went up by at least 10%.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:06   #25
BHPian

Reliability = Toyota!

No other brand better than Toyota for "Reliability" and its a worldwide phenomenon.

Would like to recollect this thread from 2016 (4.5 years ago).

Man drives Toyota 1 million miles in 9 years, gets a free Toyota - Toyota buys Victor Sheppard’s Million Mile 2007 Toyota Tundra!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...placement.html (Man drives Toyota Tundra 1 million miles in 9 years, gets a free replacement)
rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:22   #26
BHPian

10 lakh kms is indeed a milestone for any car. There are many previous gen Japanese cars known to clock very high mileage with the right maintenance and care. I have read of lancer diesels doing 3-4 lakh kms, second generation Honda city doing 2-3 lakh kms and many Innovas having done 5 lakh kms and above. Our own humble mark 2 maruti 800 had done 1.5 lakh kms before we sold it.
But the most impressive was a 1984 toyota crown/ corolla cab I used in Singapore in 2006 which after 22 years was still running strong. When asked the driver told me the car had done some 12 lakh kms after which the engine was overhauled and after that it had done another 3 lakh kms.
Many of the 80s Mercs are also known to do lakhs of miles before requiring any major work. I guess the indestructible build quality and simpler mechanicals and electricals of the older cars makes this possible.
Old 24th September 2020, 13:44   #27

Thanks for sharing. I am also an all-time fan of Toyota Innova with a D-4D engine. Vehicles from the first five year’s lot are more in demand because of their robust build quality.

I saw a couple of Toyota Qualis with 4 lakh+ km and running super strong.

Once I came across Toyota Etios, a pickup cab from Airport running near to 5 lakh km, and surprised by its excellent condition. The cab driver happily shared, he owns it personally and ensures 7500-10000 kilometers service interval from his trusted FNG and maintenance cost is also light to his pocket.
Old 24th September 2020, 15:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure, how durable the current lot of cars manufactured by Toyotas are (hear some mixed responses...only hear, no experience), but I bought the Innova, Etios and not too long back an imported Hiace because they were manufactured by Toyota.

Innova was purchased new in 2012 and below is the current odo reading. I am in love with the vehicle and will never sell it.
13-year old Innova completes 10 lakh kilometres-innova.jpg

The Etios is a 2011 model, purchased second hand in 2014. We have driven about 40K of those 59K odd kms.
13-year old Innova completes 10 lakh kilometres-etios.jpg

The Hiace is a 2004 model and the odo was slightly under 200k when purchased in last October. I have driven it for 13k kms in the last one year.
13-year old Innova completes 10 lakh kilometres-hiace.jpg

Never faced a breakdown in either of the three cars. I will take some credit as I maintain my cars well, but still its noteworthy that across three different models and three different types, none give any trouble. Hope newer generation Toyota cars carry on this legacy of reliability and durability as I'd like to purchase them 5-6 years down the line.

Last edited by rrsteer : 24th September 2020 at 15:07.
rrsteer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:28   #29
BHPian

Somewhere somehow the achievement by the TN guy to have done 10,00,000 kms on Indian roads speaks more than the Europeans and others.
The Skodas, VWs and other vehicles running that many kms in a country with pothole free roads is a no-brainer, unless the guys driving are nincompoops!
Look at the amount of abuse a car in India has to handle- jaywalkers, cows, bullocks, buses, pathetic roads, and so much more
Old 24th September 2020, 18:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

I would like to know did the gentleman owner idled his turbo and did his car's turbo last the entire 10 lakh kms? Unless this version did not have a turbo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks