Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2020, 22:18   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021

BMW is going to be surprised with the numbers this niche product is going to generate. This M340i X Drive blows the 530d to bits. The engine is an absolute snorter! The car is fully specified with laser lights et all !

I would not be surprised if this prompts BMW to consider offering the 540i M Sport !
Dieselite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 23:15   #17
BHPian

Between this and Elon saying they will definitely be in India next year, the car scene is going to get very very interesting next year.

I told the better half last year that if they ever bring the M340i that's the next car, so here's hoping "realistic" dreams come true.
Old 4th October 2020, 07:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
BMW is going to be surprised with the numbers this niche product is going to generate. This M340i X Drive blows the 530d to bits. The engine is an absolute snorter! The car is fully specified with laser lights et all !

I would not be surprised if this prompts BMW to consider offering the 540i M Sport !
That's an odd comparison, the equivalent 5 series is the M550i, the M340i has an output of 380bhp versus 335 for the 40i engines in regular cars. Bmw already has the engine on offer here, not in the 5, but looks like demand is tepid.

I think they'll be better demand for M40i engines if they were offered it in the x3 and x4, that's where the market is growing.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 09:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
That's an odd comparison, the equivalent 5 series is the M550i, the M340i has an output of 380bhp versus 335 for the 40i engines in regular cars. Bmw already has the engine on offer here, not in the 5, but looks like demand is tepid.

I think they'll be better demand for M40i engines if they were offered it in the x3 and x4, that's where the market is growing.
There was mention of being a 530d killer earlier in the thread. Hence the comparison. It is a situational comparison and not a natural one like in other markets.

Practically if you compare the current generations of the 5 and the 3, they have big difference on the outer dimensions but the insides are not vastly different in terms of leg room. The 530 d being the enthusiast's purchase I am sure these cars will be compared when making a decision in India.

I am definitely looking to trade in my 530d for the M340i as will many others ! Maybe the 530i MSport would be a more obvious comparo. But MPerformance cars are a couple of notches higher than MSport cars in terms of Technical Specifications!

The cheapest 40i (B58) one can buy in India is on the X5 M Sport which costs close to 1 cr on-road after discounts. The 5 was the ideal candidate for BMW to offer this engine with as the 530d/530i M Sport already has a market share and a 6 cylinder petrol engine will be greatly appreciated in that space. The 50i engine is not yet available in CKD form in India making the M550i a very expensive bargain and not realistic for sales numbers. In SUVs even today the Indian buyer somehow prefers the Diesel over Petrol.

In anycase I think its awesome that BMW India has taken a call to introduce the M3's softer cousin here !

Cheers!
Dieselite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:53   #20
BHPian

So India finally gets the M340i but the catch is that we get it with lovely new grills that the world can't say enough about.

I guess we have to take what we get. Maybe the aftermarket will be able to salvage the grill situation.
imranstael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:03   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
So India finally gets the M340i but the catch is that we get it with lovely new grills that the world can't say enough about.

I guess we have to take what we get. Maybe the aftermarket will be able to salvage the grill situation.
At least the grill is better than the new M3 & M4

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...best-3-anymore

Having driven a 330i for the last 3 months, I can safely state that M340i xDrive will be downright dangerous in the wrong hands..

Price could be eye-watering unless BMW absorbs some of the hit from the CBU taxes. Just as an example, in the US the 330i goes for ~42K & the 340i for ~70. That's a markup of ~67%.

If you maintain the same markup for India, then the 340 will be (49 x 1.67) = ~82 lakhs. I'm not even factoring in the higher CBU import duties. Add ~22% road tax in KA and it's a cool 1 crore .

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th October 2020 at 15:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Having driven a 330i for the last 3 months, I can safely state that M340i xDrive will be downright dangerous in the wrong hands..

Price could be eye-watering unless BMW absorbs some of the hit from the CBU taxes. Just as an example, in the US the 330i goes for ~42K & the 340i for ~70. That's a markup of ~67%.

If you maintain the same markup for India, then the 340 will be (49 x 1.67) = ~82 lakhs. I'm not even factoring in the higher CBU import duties. Add ~22% road tax in KA and it's a cool 1 crore .
You will be happy to know that it is a CKD !

Expect an ex- showroom price in the sixties !
Dieselite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 00:54   #23
BHPian

Really hoping that this comes to India. Only competing product in India to this I would say is the Mercedes C43 AMG which wins in the looks department being a coupe, but this would be one hell of sleeper once debadged. Expecting a lot of wealthy Skoda vRS230 owners to sell their Skodas and go for one these instead . Would be the only logical progression.
Old 14th January 2021, 09:05   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend in India asked me to TD the M340i X Drive here since he was contemplating it as a potential upgrade to his F30 330i.

I drove the car and I loved the 6 cyl engine. Cracker of an engine that's incredibly responsive and makes some pops and crackles as well. Not as much as the C43 AMG though. It even blips the throttle in Sports+ mode. The overall driving experience was much better than the F30 330i but the real comparison should be with the G20 generation I guess.

The car is sublime in comfort mode. It was able to cruise or crawl or speed at ease. It looks no different than the regular 3 series and it's a pro or con depending on one's preference.

The fully loaded variant retails for around $125K in Australia and the M3 will start at $170K. That's dangerously close. $125K will get you the M2 Competition-DCT here for reference.

Also, I couldn't notice any great improvement with the rear seat space when compared to the F30.

I asked for feedback in my Drive club (A club for drivers who drive more and talk less ) and overwhelmingly people recommended the M3 if one has the $ and the resilience to stomach the bunny tooth grill. Outlier suggestion was the 550i. But that option is not available in India I guess?

I saw that BMW launched the 220i GC at 50L. How are people expecting the M340i X Drive to be priced at 70L?

Is the fact that the M cars being a CBU and the M340i being a CKD going to make a big difference in India?

Would this car need premium high octane fuel in India? Owners may need a heart made of steel when they fill-up the tank.

Is the car going to be the ultimate sleeper or fall in no man's land?

Could people who have driven the M3 or M340i or 550i please provide their thoughts on the driving experience? Thanks.

Quote:
I am definitely looking to trade in my 530d for the M340i as will many others ! Maybe the 530i MSport would be a more obvious comparo. But MPerformance cars are a couple of notches higher than MSport cars in terms of Technical Specifications!

In anycase I think its awesome that BMW India has taken a call to introduce the M3's softer cousin here !

Cheers!
Look forward to your feedback if you happen to test drive the M340i.

BTW the MClub Members didn't want to call the M340i a cousin of the M3. Some of them were so miffed that I even compared them. Fans. lol.

Quote:
Enter the AWD to help. Blink and the car is north of 120Kmph but I didn't feel I had to reign in the tail. Being a WRX owner, I love AWDs.

Last edited by kiku007 : 14th January 2021 at 09:07.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 11:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
A friend in India asked me to TD the M340i X Drive here since he was contemplating it as a potential upgrade to his F30 330i.
I may know this friend of yours He has provisionally booked the car as well.

Quote:
It looks no different than the regular 3 series and it's a pro or con depending on one's preference.
hmm, I will say a negative mostly as we guys love attention. Hope BMW offer some wild colors like they do on M5 which is a sleeper otherwise.

Quote:
The fully loaded variant retails for around $125K in Australia and the M3 will start at $170K. That's dangerously close. $125K will get you the M2 Competition-DCT here for reference.... I saw that BMW launched the 220i GC at 50L. How are people expecting the M340i X Drive to be priced at 70L?
BMW sells M2 around 85Lac here and these comes as CBU- with 60% duties.
If we take your prices as a base, M340 around 70 will be possible as we have lower duties for SKD or CKD. Why they launched 2 series at those rates is a mystery to me, most likely, the discounts that are required in this segment.

Quote:
people recommended the M3 if one has the $ and the resilience to stomach the bunny tooth grill.
AWD on the new generation of m3/M4 will make a substantial difference over the past. M340 should come with an X-drive for our market, not so sure about Australia. So, I won't discount M340-Xdrive just because of the hearsay.

Quote:
Outlier suggestion was the 550i. But that option is not available in India I guess?
No, and no chances either. We will be getting the facelifted M5 soon.

Quote:
Would this car need premium high octane fuel in India?
Yes, though these cars will be detuned for 91 octane fuel. 95 will be better though. It's easy using Proctane to bump up the octane. I have been using it for a while.

Quote:
Is the car going to be the ultimate sleeper or fall in no man's land?
Interesting, no one will have a clear answer. That's the reason, it's not a priority for BMW India. They might build a lot or two in beginning. Frankly, I see less potential. If we look at M2 sales, which is perceived as best driver's car. I feel that this might end up with little numbers too.

Quote:
Could people who have driven the M3 or M340i or 550i please provide their thoughts on the driving experience?
I have owned an M4 & M5 and the difference is huge. AWD makes it so better. The rear doors on the M5 or M340 will be mostly useless given the intended age bracket. M340, I have seen but not driven and you can easily mistake it with regular 3 series. If we get the X-drive variant, it will be my pick over an M3. There's just too much of cost difference.

Quote:
Not necessarily, AWD on 340 will be immensely useful in my opinion.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th January 2021 at 12:00.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 12:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Enter the AWD to help. Blink and the car is north of 120Kmph but I didn't feel I had to reign in the tail. Being a WRX owner, I love AWDs.
Thanks for sharing, great info. 340i is a great car on paper, the worry is as you said, may be that it falls in no mans land. In India currently we have the M2C (which I own) and will no doubt offer a much more engaging and sharper drive but is less practical on Indian roads.

My guess is that a vRS 245 with a suspension and turbo upgrade (IS38) will feel as quick and be more practical. Of course the luxury and quality will be on a different level with the 340i, but at what price? Thats the key for its success I think.

And other than the hardcore enthusiasts (that care about power, Xdrive, and rear differential) in India how many would be willing to pay the premium for the 340i when the 330i may be all they need and use practically?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th January 2021 at 18:58. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Reesnat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 13:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I may know this friend of yours He has provisionally booked the car as well.

BMW sells M2 around 85Lac here and these comes as CBU- with 60% duties.
If we take your prices as a base, M340 around 70 will be possible as we have lower duties for SKD or CKD. Why they launched 2 series at those rates is a mystery to me, most likely, the discounts that are required in this segment.

AWD on the new generation of m3/M4 will make a substantial difference over the past. M340 should come with an X-drive for our market, not so sure about Australia. So, I won't discount M340-Xdrive just because of the hearsay.

I have owned an M4 & M5 and the difference is huge. AWD makes it so better.
Thank you very much for the feedback. Appreciate it. Australia has the M340i X Drive and I understand India will get the AWD too.

We could be talking about different friends though. My friend hasn't made a provisional booking. Hats off to your friend for intending to buy a petrol performance sedan. I feel so happy when such cars find buyers in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
340i is a great car on paper, the worry is as you said, may be that it falls in no mans land. In India currently we have the M2C (which I own) and will no doubt offer a much more engaging and sharper drive but is less practical on Indian roads.

And other than the hardcore enthusiasts (that care about power, Xdrive, and rear differential) in India how many would be willing to pay the premium for the 340i when the 330i may be all they need and use practically?
That's true. IIRC there's less than a handful of F30 330i owners in TN and BMW Chennai couldn't even offer a TD car some years back. It'll be interesting to see how the M340i sells. Nonetheless let's welcome the offering for now.

I've passed on the information to my friend. Thanks again.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 13:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
let's welcome the offering for now.
Absolutely! Well done BMW for bringing this to our shores! Now if they price it right, I might be tempted to consider giving up my vRS for it.
Reesnat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 18:29   #29
BHPian

The 3 Grand Limousine will come in 330Li guise with M Sport kit and a few first edition features like Heads-up Display. Also Harmon Kardon system and a few other goodies are extra over the regular 330i M Sport. This leaves the M340i with potentially the following note worthy extras over the 3GL 330Li MSport -

1. 6 cyl MPerformance Engine
2. M Performance Adaptive Suspension
3. M performance Brakes
4. X Drive with diff lock
5. Laser lights

I think a price difference of 15 lakh over the higher priced 330Li MSport could be expected given that the full fat M spec engine and other hardware isn't being put in.

Personally I am expecting an ex-showroom very close to the 530d M Sport. On Road prices around 80 lakh seem digestible for a M340i X drive with the specs as mentioned.
Dieselite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 19:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think a price difference of 15 lakh over the higher priced 330Li MSport could be expected given that the full fat M spec engine and other hardware isn't being put in.

Personally I am expecting an ex-showroom very close to the 530d M Sport. On Road prices around 80 lakh seem digestible for a M340i X drive with the specs as mentioned.
Attached is the latest BMW price-list. I'd say 65L would be a good ex-showroom if the M340i xDrive is indeed a CKD. If a CBU, then the sky is the limit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_Models_Price_List_Jan_2021.pdf.asset.1610521183304.pdf (420.6 KB, 315 views)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks