Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 18:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Scam calls after purchasing new cars

The less said about hyundai, the better. I used to own an i20 that I sold way back in 2017. I still get a call every six months from three service centres in trivandrum and another one in cochin telling me that my car service is due. I am fed up of telling them I don't own that car anymore. It's true caller that has come as a Savior now.
nettooran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:30   #17
BHPian

I have a different and pleasant experience till now with my purchase and enquiries.

Hyundai - Booked my i20 from Advaith Hyundai and I called up Hyundai customer care to enquire about something and immediately got a call from Blue Hyundai, another Hyundai Dealer in Bangalore. But I told them That I have already booked it with Advaith and never got any call/text after that.

Jeep - Follow-up calls from SA whom I met for the enquiries & TD. Text updates for offers and launch of the diesel Auto variant. But they were courteous enough to stop all communications when I passed on my final response as Negative for compass (Of-course for the budget constraints and the lazy petrol motor)
I may be one of those lucky guys or may be these folks didn't like my data profile
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

A couple of years ago, after buying a car in the family. There was a call from a guy saying he is from the OEM that it is about a customer feedback survey.

After asking a few typical feedback questions, he said he would like to meet me in person. I initially agreed but felt something shady and called him back and declined.

Wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. Still wonder what was his intention behind the ask to pay a personal visit. I strongly believe the survey was just a hogwash, but he was keen on meeting to discuss something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
.... though I do not understand why he would not be willing to share the reason why he wanted to meet you.
This was what made me suspicious.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 6th October 2020 at 19:00.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
A couple of years ago, after buying a car in the family. There was a call from a guy saying he is from the OEM that it is about a customer feedback survey.

After asking a few typical feedback questions, he said he would like to meet me in person. I initially agreed but felt something shady and called him back and declined.

Wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. Still wonder what was his intention behind the ask to pay a personal visit.
Sometimes marketing folks like to spend some time and interact with their end customers or users of their category, just to get a first hand feel of how consumers are reacting rather than simply rely on survey reports. Perhaps it was something similar, though I do not understand why he would not be willing to share the reason why he wanted to meet you.
Old 6th October 2020, 19:29   #20
BHPian

In my case it was (is) ICICI Bank. I took a loan from them for my Ignis. They sold my number to over 100 loan agencies. And I've recieved over 1000 calls offering me top up loans. I've complained to ICICI customer care, visited branch, true caller spam blockers. Nothing worked.

And not just this, the callers are mix of agencies and ICICI employees, both. I have finally given up and rely on true caller to block but these guys procure new numbers always. 1 notable agency is Ace Cars (Kandivali, Mumbai I think).

If only there was a way to handle this for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomthumb View Post
Would highly recommend the trai dnd app to report callers, it much simpler than the sms option to report numbers. There is a verification call that you have reported this and the number is supposed to get disconnected , works like a charm never get call from that source again. I do give the person calling fair warning that if they call again I will report them and ask them to remove me from their list if they don't.
Can you share the link please? There are many similar app on google play store.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th January 2024 at 16:29. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Vibhanshu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 20:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Can you share the link please? There are many similar app on google play store.
Here's the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rai.gov.in.dnd
Torque_Curve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 22:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
I got a call from a woman from "The road side assistance department", telling me that for getting RSA enabled for my VW Polo, I need to have a RSA card delivered to my home, and that she wanted some details for the same. This is when I sensed the ominous stench of fraud through the phone.
Faced this issue within a week of taking the delivery of my Vento in August (VW West Delhi). The same exact modus operandi. I just asked them if they are calling from VW, and they said they are calling from the RSA department (no clue of which enterprise ).

I told them my car is already covered by the RSA from my insurer as well as from VW, and I do not expect any more calls from them. Fortunately, they obliged. No calls since.
SuvidC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 22:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
On a related note, after spending 20 odd years in IT I thought I knew a thing or two about cloud computing.
Till I saw this video.
https://Youtu.be/AnxrJiS5uKU

So I appeal to everyone, to stop blaming the Govt. As the gentleman in the video said, the data is stored in the cloud. And it rains. Thats how spammers get access to that data. By collecting all the rain water.

I whole heartedly thank you for sharing this gem with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
The less said about hyundai, the better. I used to own an i20 that I sold way back in 2017. I still get a call every six months from three service centres in trivandrum and another one in cochin telling me that my car service is due. I am fed up of telling them I don't own that car anymore. It's true caller that has come as a Savior now.
I have a similar experience with Hyundai. I used to get my Santro serviced from Laxmi Hyundai in Hyderabad. I still get calls from several Hyundai dealers reminding me my car is due for service. Only difference in my case, is that I last got my Santro serviced in 2011!

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th October 2020 at 08:24. Reason: Mod note attached.
Utham123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 09:42   #24
BHPian

In 2016, we bought our BRV from Highway Honda, Bhubaneswar & till date have never received any spam calls. The banking sector though is a completely different story! I get numerous calls for credit cards, loans etc so here is what I do, I tell them I am also working for credit card sales department of the same bank and in turn start selling to them.

Benefits are I don't lose my cool and they usually don't call back. Also I have a good laugh in the process
John316_WRC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:15   #25
BHPian

As quite a few other members mentioned Truecaller, I already use it. But somehow on my iphone, it doesn't seem to pre-warn me about the caller. I usually don't answer unknown calls. I later search the number on truecaller, and call back if it seems genuine. But that's not always possible - like for Zomato deliveries, or when you're expecting a courier, etc.
Has anyone got it working well on an iPhone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuvidC View Post
Faced this issue within a week of taking the delivery of my Vento in August (VW West Delhi). The same exact modus operandi. I just asked them if they are calling from VW, and they said they are calling from the RSA department (no clue of which enterprise ).
From the other responses, it seems that this particular scheme of spam calls is limited to Delhi only.
Old 8th December 2020, 17:10   #26

Purchased a car in Telegana , near insurance renewal date started getting WhatsApp messages from different insurance agents, your car is due for renewal. Looks like leak from RTO office as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2020 at 20:23. Reason: Typos, punctuation
Tomthumb is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th December 2020, 01:29   #27
BHPian

The leak must definitely be happening from RTO in Delhi at least and the database is being used smartly too. I have a Swift diesel which is reaching 9 years in a few months, and I have just started looking at new car options online, but till now have not used any old car value estimation websites.

Still I have started getting messages and calls from second hand car dealers, even online players.

So yes our database is available amply and easily I think.
ontheway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 21:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone got it working well on an iPhone?
Had the opportunity to meet someone who was a high ranked person in Truecaller India. He told me that (in short) iOS does not permit this functionality so it's pretty hopeless to expect anyone to get it working correctly
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 23:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
A week passes by, and I get a call from them again. They repeat the same story, that I would need to "enable" RSA. This time they were more upfront, asking me to pay INR200 by cash when the card is delivered at home.

Snip

Has anyone received similar calls after purchasing a new car? Is this limited to Delhi or is it across India? The fact that I got similar calls almost 2 years apart means that these scammers are doing good business at the cost of innocent car buyers.
I got a call last week from a Delhi number. It was not spam marked so I picked it up. A woman on the other side who knew my address and my car make (Nexon) asked me if I got my RSA card with the car. She said if not they would deliver the card to my house and I could avail RSA for 10 years!

She said she would deliver the card to my home address and sneaked in a cost of INR 3500 which I was supposed to pay on delivery. It was a short call and It took some time for me to understand what had really happened. I called up my wife and asked her not to accept any delivery of such type for me. I called up my sales advisor and narrated him about the call. He said he was aware of a couple of more customers complaining and that the dealership doesn't sell any RSA separately.

3 days later a blue dart shipment arrived at my doorstep. It was a small box marked cash on delivery! I declined the order and sent the guy back. Unfortunately I didn't have the presence of mind to note down the details on the parcel. The company's name was 24x7RSA services or some such.

I remembered there was a scam thread on TBHP but didn't realize it was the same scam! From RS.200 to OP to RS. 3500 through blue dart pay on delivery. They have indeed come a long way
400notout is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 13:51   #30
BHPian

Just adding my bit here for Kia owners also. They call with the same replica script of activating the Road Side Assistance on my Seltos. During the first call, I was angry and aghast that a hidden charge is being levied on me so I grilled them bad saying after insurance and Kia’s claim of RSA, why do I have to pay anything more. I asked where are they calling from and they said, Kia registered office in Mumbai. Bad research because Kia’s RO is next to my society. So I called their bluff. The lady finally said “nahi lena to time mat waste karo mera”. After second of such call, I dialled cyber police number for both Delhi and Haryana (GGN) but nobody answered. I even spoke to my regular SA and the dealer, both of whom showed little to no interest.
kaustubhp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks