Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2022, 14:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Scam calls after purchasing new cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubhp View Post
Just adding my bit here for Kia owners also. They call with the same replica script of activating the Road Side Assistance on my Seltos. During the first call, I was angry and aghast that a hidden charge is being levied on me so I grilled them bad saying after insurance and Kia’s claim of RSA, why do I have to pay anything more. I asked where are they calling from and they said, Kia registered office in Mumbai. Bad research because Kia’s RO is next to my society. So I called their bluff. The lady finally said “nahi lena to time mat waste karo mera”. After second of such call, I dialled cyber police number for both Delhi and Haryana (GGN) but nobody answered. I even spoke to my regular SA and the dealer, both of whom showed little to no interest.
I'm convinced looking at the pattern here, that the scam is at the Delhi RTO level only. A shame that they're still operating unabated.
In addition to this, in the last few months I've started getting 10x more calls offering loans against my car. These phone calls are really frustrating, but there doesn't seem to be anything one can do about it
veyron999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 19:33   #32
BHPian

Got a call from a Jharkhand number today. The female on the other end introduced herself at Tata Motors Customer Satisfaction Survey. Started asking me if it was my 1st Car, 2nd Car or what …

I was sceptical and asked her why she is calling me after 6 months after I bought the car and I told her as far as I know TAMO doesn’t have any call centre in Jharkhand.

The next thing she did, I caught onto her that she was a fake/Spam. She stuttered and answered - Sir this is Tata Motors Sir, Yakeen Keejiye (Trust Me).
No regular call center, definitely not a reputed company like TAMO would have to reiterate their credentials by saying “Trust me”

Secondly told her I don’t want to talk to her and that she can cut the call. But she said I can’t cut the call, You have to cut the call. Again a red flag.

Please note this number.

+91 651-3508761

The best part is that I have received this call earlier also … same problem … but looks like they have a database of all car owners and are calling them out randomly.

They asked me to pay ₹5000 to join the Tata Harrier owners group.
To my knowledge there is no paid Owners group for the harrier.
I spoke to her for 30 minutes and finally called her bluff …
It was good fun

Incoming free ��
CaptBrat1845 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 00:35   #33
BHPian

The best way to get even with these scammers is to waste their time. If I am at home and not expecting a call I ask them to hold for a bit. I then do my work and simply keep the phone aside. This usually ends up wasting their time - the only commodity they have.
Old 29th November 2023, 15:13   #34
BHPian

Hi All,

I got a call from the number +91-97733-29575 today afternoon.
The female said that they are from Maruti Suzuki and said that I have bought EECO recently. I said it's not EECO and asked her to tell me the correct car that I have bought. She cut the call.

After few seconds I got the call from same number and the same female said that I have bought FRONX (which is the correct car I have bought recently) and said that for any road side assistance like tyre puncher and break down I need to pay Rs.35,000/-. I said I have Maruti Suzuki rewards app and why should I pay again. I also said that you are fake. She cut the call immediately.

Later I checked with my wife as my Father-in-Law also bought SWIFT recently and the car is registered to my wife with her mobile number. She also said that she got the call from the same above number around the same time. As my wife had installed Truecaller it showed as Spam and she did not pick the call.

So I think someone has leaked the recently purchased car details from Maruti Suzuki. Please be aware of this scam and no not pay anything to these scammers.

Last edited by bobbyblr : 29th November 2023 at 15:24.
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 15:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have also received a few RSA calls recently after purchasing my Verna. Also happened after purchasing my Tiago last year. So its pretty much an active all India business.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 15:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

I too received the same call after i purchased the Gurkha.
Old 8th January 2024, 11:57   #37

Greetings Team-Bhpians,

I've encountered two types of scams following my recent car purchases:

Holiday Vouchers: I receive calls from individuals claiming to represent xxx Holidays/Travels. They assert that, due to our recent car purchase, we qualify for a complimentary 2-night/3-day holiday voucher. The catch is that it's for couples or families, and I can only collect it if accompanied by my spouse. They provide details such as a specified 5-star hotel and schedule an appointment for voucher collection. Upon checking with my Sales Advisors, they deny any knowledge of such promotions or offers for customers.

RSA Cards: I recall reading about RSA calls on Team-Bhp, but the Holiday Voucher calls are unfamiliar. Has anyone else encountered similar situations recently? Both my recent vehicle purchases have led to calls for these scams.
turbodct is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 14:57   #38
BHPian

Sharing my experience with spam/scam calls

Purchased a Tata Nexon in August 2020. Since then getting following calls on a regular basis:

1. Top up loan from a private bank whose abbreviated name starts with H and ends with C: Have politely declined, warned, scolded, blasted them over the phone but I guess they use my number as a training session for new joinees. I always get the call every couple of months from a new number and a different person. I stopped taking notes of their names once my list went in double digits. Now I simply don't care and disconnect rudely.

2. Free 2N3D holiday at a resort of my choice from a holiday company whose other group company manufacturers SUVs such as Scorpio, XUV etc.: These guys were smart and would be ready to go extra mile just to convince me to come on that free holiday where they can pester me to take their membership plans. Finally I found a point during my calls with them which was in violation of their requirements and hence they couldn't go ahead with my name. After using that particular point for 2-3 times, these people have given up on me. Last call from these guys was almost a year ago.

3. Personal loan from (complete the phrase: Satyam...Shivam...########): These guys are also very persistent. Even when I once warned the other guy about a police complaint, the other guy simply challenged me to do so and hung up. Talk about confidence. I hang up rudely nowadays.

4. Approximately 45 days prior to my insurance expiry date I get a barrage of calls from all existent and non-existent insurance companies. These people shamelessly start spamming on WhatsApp as well with quotations and offers. I have stopped replying on WhatsApp and started blocking their numbers. Have built patience to politely decline each and every offer. However if they ask me reason behind my rejection I (politely of course) remind them that I'm not obliged to give them any.

5. I still get calls from 2-3 TaMO service centres in Pune regarding my car being due for servicing. I also get SMSs and WhatsApp messages. Have learnt to ignore messages and politely decline calls.

Slightly OT: Had purchased a refrigerator from Croma during June 2022. Received a call during April 2023 from 'croma' that I had been selected for a special gift and I was told to choose between 4-5 items such as iPhone, laptop etc. I entertained the girl for a few minutes and realised she had all of my details.
Played dumb for few more minutes. The girl then transferred my call to accounts department who guided me to the actual croma website. By now I was impressed with their level of training and ability to convince me. But at the time of payment she provided me a Google pay number with banking name being displayed as 'croma'. She very confidently said it's a faster mode of payment and the account is legit as can be seen in Google pay. I played dumb for few more minutes and asked her about her family and earning. Then I offered her a job with twice her current earning. She lost her composure for well over a minute. Then she somehow recovered and requested me to make the payment. I calmly told her I'm not going to make any payment. She then requested me to hang up, I obliged.

I realised after reading this thread that leakage can be the RTO database. I thought it was the showroom and TaMo.
samyD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 15:24   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
Sharing my experience with spam/scam calls
On a side note, there's absolutely no need to hide naming HDFC, Mahindra or the others. Could have saved you the time to type out the alternative descriptions
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 16:16   #40
Team-BHP Support

I took delivery of two cars in December

Whitefield Honda warned me to expect scam calls when I took delivery of the Elevate. Two days later I was to take delivery of an Exter. Before I had even collected the car. The calls started coming in. This is my mothers car but I linked the reg to my phone number to avoid any issues. Next Xmas will be fun during insurance renewal time.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 16:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

I am perfectly fine with receiving calls I currently own.

What I cannot deal with is for car(s) I don't own. I still get calls from Toyota which I sold 6 years back and Maruti that I sold in 2022.

From Hyundai there are only 2 types of annoyances: Service feedbacks for some other person's car, Insurance renewals (every dealership follows up right until expiry date, even though I've renewed).
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 17:07   #42
BHPian

Privacy is a myth in current times.

Picked up my MG ZS EV at the end of June, 2023. The car comes with a standard 5 year RSA package included.

Sometime after taking delivery of my vehicle, I received a call stating that my RSA card is ready. Surprised at this, I instructed them to have it posted to the registered address (without giving any details). The lady at the other end of the line stated that I would need to make a payment of INR 5,000 to avail this card. This set alarm bells ringing in my mind. Politely told her that I will check with the dealership and get back to her.

Fast forward one month - I hadn't gotten a chance to speak to my salesman, but I got a second call with the same offer. When I said that I already had complimentary RSA, the lady on the line seemed to have been caught off guard - simply asking if I was rejecting their offer (duh!). I hung up after telling her not to call me again with any offer.

Last week, I received an automated SMS from MG (it was legit since it had all the standard details that gets sent, whenever I book a service at the dealership), stating customers to beware of fraudulent calls offering RSA packages against any payment.

With weak / non-existent data protection, consumer protection and cyber security laws in our country (to the best of my understanding), consumers are vulnerable to scams like these. This holds true especially for those who may not be so well acquainted with the correct use of modern technology / online payments, etc. Unfortunately, institutions such as banks, insurance companies and dealerships / service centers are all hand-in-glove with selling customer data to whoever is willing to pay for it (may not always be the institution acting in bad faith, but individual employees in cases). The scary bit is - there seems to be nothing one can do as per the current laws to stop them / hold them accountable!

This was my first experience in dealing with a potential scam with anything car related. But if I take into account calls / emails received for bank account closures, electricity disconnections, generous Nigerian princes / US army officers; I'll have to start a different thread.
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 22:53   #43
BANNED

I have been receiving a lot of calls since I purchased Slavia. These calls are related to registering for RSA. However, I am skilled at identifying spam callers and can distinguish genuine calls from fraudulent ones in seconds. These fraudulent callers specifically target people in the evening during their commute. I am puzzled as to how they manage to time their calls so perfectly.
Old 10th January 2024, 23:12   #44
BHPian

Surprisingly i’m not the only one ! Got a call a few days back with same tone and lines , but here is the twist the scammer knew that i had my vehicle serviced recently and were vocal about it that we are calling from Toyota and if RSA isn’t activated you will face issues during an emergency. After hearing that they knew about when my vehicle was serviced i gave a call to my local dealership where they confirmed RSA is live and kicking and no such activation is required. Now the main issue is that our data is being leaked at all levels be it RTO , Dealership or the service station which is concerning.
Rajjaiswal92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 10:14   #45

This is spam calls from 3rd party callers, after buying a Tata Tiago EV I am being bombarded by Tata motors official calls. For the first two months I got so many calls asking for feedback, my feedback went from good experience to mediocre, just because of the calls. In some of these calls they asked me about the delivery experience, and in one particular call asked me flavour and weight of the cake that was cut. It was absolutely crazy. Ultimately had to stop entertaining these calls.

The car has gone in for the first service and that was the only bad experience we have had. The interior came back dirty, and some polish was applied on the dashboard which has caused the plastic to become rough at those spots.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th February 2024 at 10:19. Reason: Minor typo corrections
turbogeek is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks