Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 10:43   #46
BHPian

Re: Scam calls after purchasing new cars

I have a weird one. After buying a Kia, on top of getting the usual barrage of RSA, Vacation and Gift calls, I started getting calls from Hyundai, Maruti, Honda and Toyota even. I don't know what to make of that. But I am glad companies think I am rich enough (which I'm not) to buy two cars at once.
blogslogger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:06   #47
Team-BHP Support

I bought two cars within the same week - Honda Elevate KA01 and a Hyundai Exter KA03

When I took delivery of the Honda, the salesperson warned me about RSA scams but I have not received any calls.

As for the Exter, I got calls on RSA before I even took delivery. I then got the free gift calls , insisting that I come with my wife for some event. I am guessing, Hyundai are pretty lax with customer data. The leakage points would be
  • The RTO - KA03
  • Hyundai outsource customer surveys to agencies.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:14   #48
BHPian

My friend bought Kia sonet 3 years back and since he is nre he gave my number as 2nd contact number, Since then I have received calls for rsa, insurance even after the car has been claimed as total loss after an accident. Few days back I also received the call for an event with my wife.
Old 20th February 2024, 11:29   #49
BHPian

Well, I thought where the scam calls are coming from, even after full DND. When I bought car from KIA Mangaluru, I was getting calls regarding vacation and also from Bajaj Finance. Now I constantly update my DND to full DND once in while has reduced the calls. Even attempting credit limit increase causes to disable some DND and lead to manny junk calls.
Old 20th February 2024, 13:40   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
As for the Exter, I got calls on RSA before I even took delivery. I then got the free gift calls , insisting that I come with my wife for some event. I am guessing, Hyundai are pretty lax with customer data. The leakage points would be
  • The RTO - KA03
  • Hyundai outsource customer surveys to agencies.
My friend bought an Aura from Hyundai about 2 years back. Few days after delivery, he got multiple calls for RSA. He was considering getting the same and then I pointed him to this thread. In fact, there are such complains on the entire internet about the 3500 rupee RSA.
Old 20th February 2024, 18:15   #51
RVR
BHPian

Say that am lucky or just that these guys don't target corporate vehicles. Mine is registered in my company's name (yes, it's on CLC) and have received may be 3~4 calls in the last 2 years. But still a few guys do call me with " am I talking to Mr. xyz pvt ltd" statements (Mostly UP accent).
However insurance is still a headache and I get around 100 calls starting 90 days before expiry.
What I even realised is that most of such spam calls originate from UP & Bihar. Sometimes I talk in Kannada / Tamil and these guys simply hangup.
Old 21st February 2024, 00:40   #52
BHPian

I've encountered similar calls during both of my car purchases over the past two years. Additionally, despite registering for the Do Not Disturb (DND) service with my provider, I've received various scam and marketing spam like others.

I want to share a helpful tip for everyone annoyed by this never ending issue to spare few seconds whenever such spammy messages/calls come in by reporting them to the telecom network operator. Our small efforts can potentially save others from falling into such spammy calls.

TRAI offers an app called TRAI DND for both Android and iOS (seems to have been taken down due to compatibility issues but since I've had it for years, it still works fine). This app integrates a link/button to report unsolicited calls and spam messages directly to the network operator. Upon receiving a report, the network provider is required to investigate and respond with the actions taken against such spammers.

I've been using this app actively for several years, effectively addressing repeat offenders by either suspending their numbers from the network or restricting their activity to 20 SMS/calls. Reporting is simple: just tap the report link under the SMS, select the category of spam (banking, finance, tourism, etc.), and the app automatically generates a message with relevant details, including the spam message and the spammer's number. This message is then sent to 1909. After sending the message, an official complaint is registered with the operator, and you receive updates, typically including a request ID and final action message.

I urge fellow BHPians to utilize this feature. It only takes a few seconds once the app is installed, benefiting not only ourselves but also those who may not be as tech-savvy or aware of these spam/scam calls. While it may not entirely eradicate spam, our collective efforts can certainly make an impact. Additionally, TRAI's website offers a manual reporting format (basically shows you how to report to 1909 manually), but using the app is more convenient and less time-consuming.

This has over the years helped me to a certain degree and my reports resulting suspension/restrictions on their numbers have most likely caused a tiny bottleneck, maybe not much considering the dozens of numbers they buy but anything is better than nothing. Together, we sure can add some speed bumps to these spammers and reduce their scale.

Based on my knowledge and analysis, especially regarding the iOS version, the app does not share personal data with TRAI or any other parties. It serves solely as a tool to streamline the reporting process, ensuring safety and efficiency. So it's a decent and helpful app.
Smartomotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 01:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartomotive View Post
...TRAI offers an app called TRAI DND for both Android and iOS...
Adding screenshots showing the whole report to action journey, so you know how it works and what to expect. Couldn't edit the original post due to going past the 30 mins limit, hence, a new post.

Report + Select Category = Auto SMS Generated in TRAI Format:

Scam calls after purchasing new cars-1.jpeg Scam calls after purchasing new cars-2.jpeg Scam calls after purchasing new cars-3.jpeg

Response + Acknowledge with Req ID + Action:

Scam calls after purchasing new cars-4.jpeg Scam calls after purchasing new cars-5.jpeg Scam calls after purchasing new cars-6.jpeg

Airtel Thanks App requests page have a log of all reports sent via SMS:

Scam calls after purchasing new cars-7.jpeg

TRAI DND iOS App Splash Screen and Info Page:

Scam calls after purchasing new cars-8.jpg Scam calls after purchasing new cars-9.jpg
Smartomotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 14:59   #54
BHPian

I took delivery last month of the KIA Seltos, was warned about this by the dealer and I already knew about it from previous posts here. However no calls came, either I got lucky or the dealer / KIA doesn't share information.
Old 21st February 2024, 16:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

I still gets calls one year after the car purchase, I usually say I've never owned a car in my life and cut the call. If enough of us start giving misinformation to these maniacs, then, they will have less trust in the data which is being illegally purchased.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks